Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Just think, Heart! You get to go through beautiful ***Wilmington***!

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Curtis's Father Has Terrible Superpowers

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Doomykins posted:

Other long running strips reintroduce a recurring character for an arc and the audience audibly groans. Flash does it about two months into a solid gold run and it's actually great. :allears:
I have no idea who Bones Malock is, but she just introduced herself with violence and assurance and she has a Furiosa look and is :perfect:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Just think, Heart! You get to go through beautiful ***Wilmington***!

:goonsay: If you're going from Philadelphia to Baltimore, it's usually faster to take I-495 and go around Wilmington. You can still see it in the distance though!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Selachian posted:

:goonsay: If you're going from Philadelphia to Baltimore, it's usually faster to take I-495 and go around Wilmington. You can still see it in the distance though!

there is a perfectly cromulent train that goes from the middle of philly to the middle of baltimore! take that heart!

though if you take i-495 you can see the banana dock

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

I have no idea who Bones Malock is, but she just introduced herself with violence and assurance and she has a Furiosa look and is :perfect:

They fought Team Flash in Not-Bartertown, at the start of the search for Barin.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 7, 2024

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

We went to Wilmington to see an art exhibit. Seemed like a cute little town. The train didn't really work since there's no way to get from the station tot he museum tho so we drove. I'd rather take the perfectly cromulent train from Philly to Baltimore for sure tho.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Comic Strips 2024: Metropolitan Delaware Discussion Zone

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kidcoelacanth posted:

Comic Strips 2024: Metropolitan Delaware Discussion Zone

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

It doesn't beg the question, it raises the question.

So excited to get more of goth witch queen.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Breadmaster posted:

So excited to get more of goth witch queen.

For some reason it seems way too cut-and-dry that she'd be the one responsible even if she had controlled Flash's mind in the past. Gonna guess there's another twist.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(August 9, 1910)

Baron Bean(February 8, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(January 7, 1912)

Gasoline Alley(September 27, 1919)

Us Boys(December 20, 1911)

The Gumps(March 6, 1917)

Krazy Kat(December 2, 1913)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Probably Savarna.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

A Frog’s Life

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Some very good babies today.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

That frog is about to go apeshit.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hwurmp posted:

She fought Team Flash in Not-Bartertown when they were first looking for Barin.
Ahh, I must have forgotten already.

But I did catch the "She would do just fine in Mad Max" vibes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

A Frog’s Life

Who could possibly have foreseen that ending coming a million miles away? Certainly not with such a cheerful and utopian setting. The only thing to do is to :frogout: of there and live.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I don't care about The Children.

poo poo In A Can

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/21-23/52

Archie 6/27-29/49

The Balloon Tail Misplacement Fairy strikes again!

Seems to me they should have switched the 28th and 29th.

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 1/13-15/77

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mom got to come home today, so tomorrow (hopefully) will be me fumbling back to normalcy. Until then, your emergency care package.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 20, 1936)

Peanuts (February 8, 1977)

Cranky Shafterbean

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (October 10-12, 1935)

Thimble Theater (September 10, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (December 6-8, 1943)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
it was probably different it being Japan and pre 2004, but when I nannied and the baby needed formula, it took like 2 minutes to make the poo poo up, and that includes shaking the poo poo up. Thawing frozen breastmilk took longer. And sometimes when mom was home to nurse, it took the longest because the baby couldn't get comfy, kept getting distracted, etc.

But of course WAR has the stance that breast is the only good thing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i think it's more just that the woman is clearly in the midst of a crisis and struggling to accomplish anything.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I just realized this Mary Worth arc has been going since September of last year and no loving wonder I'm getting tired of it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

i think it's more just that the woman is clearly in the midst of a crisis and struggling to accomplish anything.

and what kind of mom would our protag be if she didn't judge her because "she didn't even try to watch my baby for me" and "formula takes so long to make?" and "everyone else was breastfeeding?" Like good moms should! Feels like something FOOB Mom would mutter under her breath.

I shouldn't be so hard on her. At least she's actually at the doctor, even if she will write off most of what she's told because "mom knows best." And yeah doctors get it wrong, they're not perfect, but after Covid, and gently caress, even before, the surge of anti-vax when it comes to measles and mumps because "vaccines cause autism!" bullshit, I have low tolerance for it. Just as my coworker blames the Covid vaccine for another coworker getting Covid; never mind he never masks and is a loving Uber driver and has had a cough/hacking up his lungs for weeks.

Breast is not best, formula is not best, FED IS BEST.

on the other hand, double ugh to Mary Worth. He's really going to get a paternity test swap done on a can of root beer, isn't he.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

McKee's just loving with us now.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

A little shop for Bob? Lovely.

So some Bobbinverse lore might need explaining here. Robert "Bob" Crowley was an occultist that appeared in Scary-Go-Round. His first appearance was in the Time Teapot story-line (posted by Kazinsal in last years iteration of this thread), in which Shelley & Amy went back to the 19th century and Bob recruited them to work in his club and use them for some sort of prophecy. This was undone when Tim used his own time teapot to stop Shelley and Amy from going to the past to begin with.

Crowley later appeared in Scary-Go-Round when he was conjured to the 21st century. Though a series of convoluted events he was sent to Hell along with Erin Winters. A side comic Allison posted during the Bad Machinery era showed Crowley being devoured by a demon sometime after arriving in Hell.

Now Crowley has never shown up in any of the Steeple stories, so either a) Maggie encountered him "off-screen", perhaps during the three month time skip between the last story and this one, or b) the store is only named after Crowley and Maggie and Billie saw someone else inside, most likely the "hipster-witches" that featured in the last Steeple story or her father, Bob Warren.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cowslips Warren posted:

and what kind of mom would our protag be if she didn't judge her because "she didn't even try to watch my baby for me" and "formula takes so long to make?" and "everyone else was breastfeeding?" Like good moms should! Feels like something FOOB Mom would mutter under her breath.

I shouldn't be so hard on her. At least she's actually at the doctor, even if she will write off most of what she's told because "mom knows best." And yeah doctors get it wrong, they're not perfect, but after Covid, and gently caress, even before, the surge of anti-vax when it comes to measles and mumps because "vaccines cause autism!" bullshit, I have low tolerance for it. Just as my coworker blames the Covid vaccine for another coworker getting Covid; never mind he never masks and is a loving Uber driver and has had a cough/hacking up his lungs for weeks.

It's an autobiographical comic from the 90s(iirc):

a)A lot of this is projecting modern poo poo on it that was never even a consideration at the time.
b) One could easily flip this around on the doctors who keep pressuring her to use formula instead of breastfeeding. (and yes, she is allowed to have a choice in the matter as long as the baby's getting fed, and I'm slightly concerned by the handful of people who've acted like she shouldn't)

Remember a lot of pro breastfeeding stuff was originally a reaction to people trying to make mothers feel inadequate if they didn't use formula. (It of course got weaponized to make mothers feel bad anyway, because screaming YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG AND A WORTHLESS IDIOT BECAUSE OF IT is how society as a whole treats expecting & new mothers) That's the type of frustration I'm reading from the mom in WAR.

While I'm here:

goons posted:

posts about Bones from Flash Gordon
I'm 99% sure Bones is they/them, going by the only pronouns I remember seeing used for them in the comic.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

That's precisely the reason that Valentine's Day is a busy one for the online food delivery services -- people belatedly realizing that there isn't an in-house table to be had anywhere that's remotely nice. Getting your SO's favorite food delivered for a romantic night at home? Perfectly cromulent fallback plan.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Hwurmp posted:

She fought Team Flash in Not-Bartertown when they were first looking for Barin.
They're nonbinary and use they/them, but yeah. They were the person running the criminal swapmeet who dueled Flash and tried to shoot down the ship because Flash and co stole a sword, even if they only stole a sword bc Bones ordered their men to apprehend Flash to try and figure out if they could ransom him. Looks like the long arm of the law has cracked down on Bones.

(Quoting this post and not the one who asked who Bones was just bc I wanted to note the pronoun thing, no worries.)

Haifisch posted:

While I'm here:

I'm 99% sure Bones is they/them, going by the only pronouns I remember seeing used for them in the comic.
Ah, you beat me to it!

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 7, 2024

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

But of course WAR has the stance that breast is the only good thing.
Jesus christ, people, when she was talking about why she breastfed she literally said what's most important is that the baby is fed, it's just that she produces milk well and breastfeeding works for her personally. At this point the projection on WAR is getting downright gross. The reason she throws in that no way you could keep breastfeeding after a month of that (formula) is because of the stress of switching to formula when she's used to just being able to pop a titty out, and the fact that production slows down when you're not actively feeding or pumping combining with the stress. She didn't do a month of formula as a diagnostic test for her baby because she was concerned about the long-term ramifications for feeding when he was healthily feeding on her breasts. Switching feeding methods for a baby that's already eating well isn't necessarily easy. Please stop angrily making GBS threads on WAR.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kazinsal posted:

It's absolutely incredible the psychotically dysfunctional characters that newspaper comics authors think we're supposed to be sympathetic for.

To be fair, I think we're supposed t be weathervaning on this one.

Samovar posted:

Oh no!!! Art error in the last panel (the Mum has three arms)

While I have quickly adjusted to him going to a digital format, here we see the potential for copy/paste errors. Surprised it got by the editor(s).
TBF I didn't see it until you pointed it out.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The_Other posted:

Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks

(...)

So some Bobbinverse lore might need explaining here.
You know, I respect the work on John Allison, but I am very puzzled by the Homestuckesque layers of continuity

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

three arms is what you get for not breastfeeding right

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am legitimately getting super uncomfortable with how you go off on WAR. I think maybe you should stop reading it. The joke of that comic was how things get missed when you're frazzled and how the author is glad she didn't stop breastfeeding for a month bc it's personally convenient for her and her baby and she's not sure if she could continue after a break, she wasn't judging the other mother at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Yeah, she's judging the other mother for letting stress levels interfere with mothering (if we're going to judge Uchida for anything it should be this - she could be more considerate, like in general, although OTOH she's breastfeeding the woman's baby fer chrissake) for not even offering to watch her own kid while she breastfeeds the other woman's for her, and for just unceremoniously pulling the baby off her tit when she has to leave, not anywhere or at all for using formula in and of itself. Nowhere in the text of the comic is the statement "breast is best" or whatever even close to being uttered, and she's said in the text of the comic that she respects mothers who use formula for the amount of work it takes. Like with the antivax readings (which I somehow imagine will persist even after we get the comics about getting actual vaccinations), TBQH if you take a "breast is best" message out of the comic it's all baggage you brought in with you I think.