Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Eric Cantonese posted:

Did you see the Singapore episode? He seemed genuinely ticked off at the expats and how they talked about their servants.
oh yeah from parts unknown? sounds familiar although tbh there’s so many and they all blur together. but yeah he hated expat culture bullshit which, respect. rip to a real one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Xaris posted:

oh yeah from parts unknown? sounds familiar although tbh there’s so many and they all blur together. but yeah he hated expat culture bullshit which, respect. rip to a real one

https://twitter.com/TheMcKenziest/status/1573816462040440832

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

How do people like that exist and aren't eaten by a wild animal?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Xaris posted:

lmfao I haven’t seen these. I liked bourdain, at least up to paying off the rape case. no reeevations and stuff was genuinely very good and he did hate rich food snobbery and western elitism and fetishization which was good

I admire people who live by their principles--even when I don't agree with them.  I don't much like communism, particularly the soul crushing evil done in its name through much of history, but I have a romantic's soft spot for an old Bolshie who took to the hills as a young man, believed in their heart that they were liberating their people from oppression (particularly if whoever they were  fighting against was a uniquely bad bastard).  Perhaps this will explain my visceral loathing for Daniel Ortega--seemingly the President For Life of Nicaragua, a guy who, clearly, has two sets of principles. One for the Nicaraguan people--and one for himself.   My detestation of Nicaragua's Maximum Leader is exceeded only by my admiration for its people who deserve so much better. 

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gordon ramsay can't even cook scrambled eggs. pretentious bitch

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

creme fraiche in eggs is good for sitting on the toilet all morning

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bro Dad posted:

I admire people who live by their principles--even when I don't agree with them.  I don't much like communism, particularly the soul crushing evil done in its name through much of history, but I have a romantic's soft spot for an old Bolshie who took to the hills as a young man, believed in their heart that they were liberating their people from oppression (particularly if whoever they were  fighting against was a uniquely bad bastard).  Perhaps this will explain my visceral loathing for Daniel Ortega--seemingly the President For Life of Nicaragua, a guy who, clearly, has two sets of principles. One for the Nicaraguan people--and one for himself.   My detestation of Nicaragua's Maximum Leader is exceeded only by my admiration for its people who deserve so much better. 

😂

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that dude ultimately made the right decision so Big Ups for that. one ipvote

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Bro Dad posted:

drat you believe all those things? Pretty hosed up dude

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't believe nothin about nothin

Except that Frasier was a good show

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

drat you believe all those things? Pretty hosed up dude

A miserable, hypocritical prick--whatever the system of government--is still a prick.  I tend to look at the world, still, from the point of view of a restaurant guy--a small business owner.  Right? Left? I don't care. I look at "leaders" as if they were managers of my restaurant. I go away for four years and come back. If my business has gotten inexplicably worse, I have fewer customers, the neighbors are pissed, my employees unhappy and there's money inexplicably missing from the till, I call that a bad leader.  I don't know if that's politics or simple good sense.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Correct me if I'm wrong, is the woman who is showing him around not also the one that ruined his life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JibUsgon6c0

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Bro Dad posted:

A miserable, hypocritical prick--whatever the system of government--is still a prick.  I tend to look at the world, still, from the point of view of a restaurant guy--a small business owner.  Right? Left? I don't care. I look at "leaders" as if they were managers of my restaurant. I go away for four years and come back. If my business has gotten inexplicably worse, I have fewer customers, the neighbors are pissed, my employees unhappy and there's money inexplicably missing from the till, I call that a bad leader.  I don't know if that's politics or simple good sense.

That's crazy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Best Friends posted:

One of the things that stuck with me after reading that book was the sheer number of women executed for infanticide until it hit me, oh, that was SIDS + malnutrition

also the number of incest executions, which did not make sense until I learned just how expansive the definition of close relation was in that time and place, especially in a context of small communities

I just read a thesis on witchcraft and misogyny and basically if you were in Germany or similarly crazed countries in the height of the witch craze if your baby died and you were vulnerable enough, instant branding as a witch.

That and if you were an ild lady, because they were too gross to gently caress (to paraphrase the writer of that famous witchcraft manual that us responsible for more direct deaths than Mein Kampf).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

This may be a big derail, but I wonder what the foodies here think of Gordon Ramsey. I came across his TikTok and it made me sad.

I'm sure his bed full of 100GBP notes probably helps him rest well at night, though.

His English shows are actually sweet and easy Watchung. He plays it up for Americans.

And gently caress yall The Bear S2 was great and weird and great bc it was weird.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it sounds like it sucked and was bad from what I can tell

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
yeah, the english Kitchen Nightmares is surprisingly chill, but all of gr's american shows (there are like a dozen now) are reality tv trash and not the good kind

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I've seen a few clips of him on a kids competition show (idk if it was an episode of his main show or a spinoff) but he seemed to be very kind and compassionate to the kids in a way that was endearing and made me think "oh the blustery bombastic poo poo is just a hook"

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

drat the theme song to parts unknown sucked rear end, rare miss from lanegan and homme on that one. well, less rare for homme nowadays but still

regular john was the perfect choice for Bourdain driving out to Joshua tree tho on whatever series that was

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The comparisons between Ramsay's British and American shows are very funny, all the ridiculous dramatic editing and violin screeches and poo poo for Americans lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
americans are pigs who want to be screeched at

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
No I dont

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
tacitly admitting to being a pig ftw

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
im not a pig im ftw, though american. so ftl in part i suppose

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Americans are pigs who want to be screaming at and never screamed at. They just have not figured out how to have the first without the second.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Americans are pigs, but are not significantly more piggish than the British

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Americans are pigs who want to be screaming at and never screamed at. They just have not figured out how to have the first without the second.

i disagree, i think that our deep self-obsession includes hatred of that self and people seek out conflicts to have other people "confirm" their own worst thoughts about themselves. they want to be yelled at, because in a way, it's the same as being told "you were right (when you said those mean things about yourself)".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

Brought to you by AEI and the Project for A New American Century.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

Someone in the Epstein Thread posted a fascinating book that suggested the trauma of childhood sexual abuse, manifesting as Borderline Personality Disorder, and filtered through a religious worldview, presented as “witchcraft”. There were some sources that suggested communities basically didn’t know how to handle women who described sexual abuse and presented with BPD, since they’d be talking about sex and the devil or whatever.

I don’t know the degree to which that dovetails with incest or incest accusations, but it makes sense to me that we’re still basically unequipped to handle people who are abused and don’t enter therapy, many end up on skid row. So, imagine how that would have been handled then.

You would think as a society we would have gotten better at addressing these particular crimes and their dramatic and often lifelong fallout, but idk. SVU doesn’t really seem to give much reason to hope, as far as pop culture goes.

people who've been harmed from abuse originating from societal patriarchy turning to constructs hidden from societal patriarchy makes a lot of sense on its own tbh. never thought of that before

the substance use and non-patriarchal rituals would also be more appealing as basically coping and self medication, a counterculture redrawing what matters to make it not have the negative associations their contemporary society, the church etc would have as the source of the abuse

i doubt it'd be the only factor, but it makes sense as a large one that would build the core of the group bc it'd have to be a major motivator to get people to risk association when the penalty was usually a horrible death. schizotypal or schizophrenic people don't deviate in groups like that without a reason, they'll just go off on their own or go extra on what's already there. qanon as a modern example of a group counterculture that magnetically draws in mental illness, it needed a real-world catalyst to start from

also makes sense why ppl practicing witchcraft would have valid cause for some poisoning of people If seen as a response to abuse and oppression

id assume there's also some repressed beliefs and practices mixed in too but that wouldn't be a strong enough draw to build groups, only maintain them, people wouldn't risk interest in something you'll get killed and excommunicated for being associated with out of sheer curiosity

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

indigi posted:

I've seen a few clips of him on a kids competition show (idk if it was an episode of his main show or a spinoff) but he seemed to be very kind and compassionate to the kids in a way that was endearing and made me think "oh the blustery bombastic poo poo is just a hook"

That's Masterchef Junior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Dd1Njn-g0

At this point, I don't know how he has time to run a restaurant, let alone multiple ones. I know he's probably on some super-high macro level of leadership (or maybe just licensing out his name for others to use as branding), but still. He's always doing something away from an actual restaurant kitchen now.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
his current big show Hell's Kitchen is a reality tv competition where the winner gets a job as the head chef at one of his restaurants so i assume he's got a self-sustaining gig just putting his name on stuff now

i respect it in a way, he's got a system figured out

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

holy poo poo Hell's Kitchen is still on? i mean i guess i shouldnt be so surprised but aiya

i used to be a big fan some two earth decades ago but i stopped watching as the show became less "cooking reality show" and more "reality show with cooking characteristics"

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
hells kitchen is just six weeks of filming and boom you got a new season

gordon ramsey seems like hes everywhere at once though its insane

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Next Level Chef has the dumbest gimmick

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

every cooking competition show should just be a variation on Chopped

e: holy poo poo there are 57 seasons of Chopped since it premiered 15 years ago lmao

e2: there are 737 episodes that's a new episode every week since it premiered with breaks for Christmas and New Year's

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Atrocious Joe posted:

Americans are pigs, but are not significantly more piggish than the British

i prefer the term, hog

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Nonsense posted:

How do people like that exist and aren't eaten by a wild animal?

They have maids to be eaten first

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Sort of related, the Bar Rescue episodes during COVID are very different from before. Barely any yelling, if any at all, in the COVID episodes and I find them much more enjoyable.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

hbo max..... thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
@kirbykhan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntNS-ANoMyM