Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

hubris.height posted:

love the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Counting down the days (payments) until we're done with daycare in May.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My favorite daycare thing is where they post what they ate and how much of it they ate. Then I make what he likes for dinner and it doesn't get eaten.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Our daycare has a live cam so my wife checks in a bunch during the day... daughter gets along fine and we're glad to see her forced to relate to other kids (she's the youngest so it's more like learning how to get out of other peoples' way) and overall it seems to be positive. She picks up on language and physical stuff like dancing from other kids. It's good.

Vox Nihili posted:

Dropped our kid off at daycare for the first time. Little guy can't even talk yet, it feels awful.

I remember at the end of my parental leave thinking, "How can anyone possibly tolerate being away from their child all day!?" Now we despair every time there is a snow day or other closure that means we have to fill her whole day.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Survived two plane flights with zero tantrums (but one poop and one puke on the plane, both of which are preferable to a tantrum)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Went back to work (WFH, so not really) today
Uhhhh, I didn't feel as guilty as I assumed I would

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

I remember at the end of my parental leave thinking, "How can anyone possibly tolerate being away from their child all day!?" Now we despair every time there is a snow day or other closure that means we have to fill her whole day.

We never did daycare but have been doing preschool since age 2 and driving away on the first day felt like I was doing something horrible that would get me thrown in prison

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Daycare owns, and the socialization is great. It only took like two weeks from the kid crying when we dropped her off to crying when we picked her up because she was interested in what she was doing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
What's the going tooth fairy rate these days?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
sliding scale based on how epic the removal was

fell out at dinner? dollar

knocked out skateboarding? that's five

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

What's the going tooth fairy rate these days?

start small because there's gonna be a temptation to overdo it for the first tooth and then they'll expect that for all of them

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
six year old daughter is old enough to have violent meltdown rage when something doesn’t go her way, not old enough to have a developed prefrontal cortex to have any kind of control over said rage

she is now lecturing her stuffed wiener dog toy that he can’t be growling and biting all the time and has to learn to use his big dog brain

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my 2 year old put a blanket on me, brought me one of her cups ("milk") and read me stories this morning

kids rule

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Dropped our kid off at daycare for the first time. Little guy can't even talk yet, it feels awful.

Vox Nihili posted:

Because it's a modern operation the daycare sends us photos of the kid looking absolutely miserable every 15 minutes or so just to make sure we know

In the end he seemed to recover pretty well and didn't spend the entire day crying or anything, although he was certainly overjoyed to finally see us at 5. Hopefully by the end of the week it will just seem normal to him.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

:negative: thanks for the double-tap, kid

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
It was a bit funny ...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Those kids love giving Daddy pig endless poo poo over his big round tummy

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

my kid lifts up my shirt and says BELLY

edit: it's not even that big.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lol owned

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Woke Mind Virus posted:

edit: it's not even that big (for a goon).

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Woke Mind Virus posted:

edit: it's not even that big.

My kid's favoritest thing in the world is bellies, always has been. We'll be out in public somewhere and she'll go BELLY! and lift up one of our shirts to bury her face in it

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
my kid was never in daycare before kindergarten and was pretty much isolated from other kids her age with a few exceptions from 2020-2022 for obvious reasons and i was worried about her socialization based on all these parents freaking out about it

guess what she's been in full day kindergarten for a half year and she's been completely fine and was on the same level as every other kid in about a week

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
peppa pig is banned in my home for body negativity

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Reliving the "Peppa Pig causing American kids to develop posh British accents" experience in my house with Jojo and Gran Gran.

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019
I can't believe how I went from all about career/academic life to quiet quitting and doing the bare minimum at work so I can just be with family. Never envisioned that poo poo when I was younger but maybe it helps that my 5 yo is so much fun to hang out with.

I've been climbing with with him since he was 3 yo and last week, he climbed a total of 1100 ft (4 days at the climbing gym) including his first v1 (no rope climb). My body cant even keep up with him any more and is so sore, but he can keeps going without need any recovery period.

I cannot imagine what he will be like in a few years. Defined more in shape than his potato faced dad (his new description for me).

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

RBC posted:

my kid was never in daycare before kindergarten and was pretty much isolated from other kids her age with a few exceptions from 2020-2022 for obvious reasons and i was worried about her socialization based on all these parents freaking out about it

guess what she's been in full day kindergarten for a half year and she's been completely fine and was on the same level as every other kid in about a week

These people who said their kids developed x problem due to the pandemic are telling on themselves.

I had some kooky grandma tell me randomly in a coffee shop her grandson had speech problems due to the lockdown while my kids speak three languages. Whose fault is that lady?

My little guy got his report card for pre-school and he’s very well socialized per the school, learning English and his 3rd language well, and doing great overall. The only comment was he prefers construction toys to coloring with crayons…duh?? He loves construction vehicles and drawing but prefer the former, he’s 3.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Speech problems could also be due to developmental issues, and might not be anyone's fault in particular

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I haven't momshamed or dadshamed anybody yet. But, when I do, I am confident my kids will be worthy of me being smug.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

my daughter went on at length about what a hairy man I am while on the plane yesterday

much hairier than her or mommy and so forth

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

on sunday i cooked a big pot of food for the whole family, my son wanted nothing to do with it (its chicken and rice! very inoffensive meal imo) and yesterday i was telling him that it hurts my feelings when he won't even try my food and he said "just cook something better that i like daddy". owned.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

loquacius posted:

my daughter went on at length about what a hairy man I am while on the plane yesterday

much hairier than her or mommy and so forth

I've been meaning to tell you

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Glumwheels posted:

These people who said their kids developed x problem due to the pandemic are telling on themselves.

I had some kooky grandma tell me randomly in a coffee shop her grandson had speech problems due to the lockdown while my kids speak three languages. Whose fault is that lady?

My little guy got his report card for pre-school and he’s very well socialized per the school, learning English and his 3rd language well, and doing great overall. The only comment was he prefers construction toys to coloring with crayons…duh?? He loves construction vehicles and drawing but prefer the former, he’s 3.

we asked the kindergarten teacher about socialization and she was like... yeah kids this age don't really socialize. they play next to one another. they're not gossiping about timmy not being potty trained yet.

guess who is though

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

RBC posted:

have this similar story and it was a huge relief that she seemed to adapt so well to all those new people after years of just seeing family and kids at parks

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
but her bestie (???) has been making problems, like cutting her hair in class the first week of school, and trying to push her yesterday, and no one played with her at recess :(

poor girl had a rough go of it but today was a new day

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

just_a_person posted:

I can't believe how I went from all about career/academic life to quiet quitting and doing the bare minimum at work so I can just be with family. Never envisioned that poo poo when I was younger but maybe it helps that my 5 yo is so much fun to hang out with.

Yeah my workplace is wildly dysfunctional, leadership folks doing every wrong thing, blocking people from moving up or doing anything good. It sucks but... it's so much easier to disengage and just be a parent. Timing kind of worked out well and I'm glad for it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Glumwheels posted:

If one’s kids had real disabilities it was nearly impossible to get services during the pandemic. The pandemic basically delayed getting a neurophysiological diagnosis and a good IEP for my son by several years. It’s not really over, even now.

Parents of kids with actual disabilities basically got abandoned by our systems. SPS is a good example of really really hosed up on that front during the pandemic.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Those kids love giving Daddy pig endless poo poo over his big round tummy

We had a bathtime a couple weeks back where the kids kept yelling "Dad, dad, dad..." while I was downstairs. I grandly came upstairs and demanded "who summons me?"

The 7yo was like "ooh, the god of big bellies!"

Ouch.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

KirbyKhan posted:

Reliving the "Peppa Pig causing American kids to develop posh British accents" experience in my house with Jojo and Gran Gran.

My youngest still has it, and she stopped watching Peppa years ago. I don't think it will ever go away.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Peppa's fine, it's the paw patrol you need to watch out for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

paw patrol is also fine