Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doc Hawkins posted:

:extremely ken burns voice: my dearest clara, i sometimes fear that this great edition war shall never end

Oh, you've seen my letters to home since I've started modding an RPG forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, you've seen my letters to home since I've started modding an RPG forum.

yeah clara and i love reading them together

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Comstar posted:

Hasbro Fires D&D Book Team! (Ep 367)]Dungeon Craft. (youtube)

The news for this thread that I had not heard before is that Hasbro fired their D&D book team in November. The book is done, the MS CEO is hiring more people from MS to make the game subscription based (and there's a VR game coming out that no one is going to care about).

I don't think this will be the last actual book, but Microsoft is going to make D&D as D&DO(rifice) - you WILL pay that subscription, you will NOT own any of the books (because why buy them when everyone plays online anyway so they would want you to play) and the DM will be paying for everyone else to play with a higher subscription because they are whales.

Much like Nokia before them, a Microsoft Exec is going to destroy the brand from the inside.

Then all the pathfinder fans will be all "You should try Pathfinder. We have books!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Then all the pathfinder fans will be all "You should try Pathfinder. We have books!"

I actually did order a dead-tree copy of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook last month

I didn't realize how thick that thing is, dang. I carry it around for the weight when I'm rucking.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

gradenko_2000 posted:

I actually did order a dead-tree copy of the Pathfinder Core Rulebook last month

I didn't realize how thick that thing is, dang. I carry it around for the weight when I'm rucking.

Oh yeah. Pathfinder core can be used as an improvised weapon that does 1d4+str bludgeoning damage.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

When I set down my bag of books I worry that some pickpocket is going to think it's a laptop bag and try to steal it, only to dislocate their shoulder and sue me.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

The OG or the remaster?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eastmabl posted:

The OG or the remaster?

1st Edition. I've played enough of it (and D&D 3e) that I'm pretty confident I could center a game around it if I ever got or made the opportunity to play again, but I'm not nearly familiar enough 2e to be willing to make the investment just yet.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Me, huddling in a trench scribbling a letter on dirty paper: "Day 538 on the front lines. D&D is still not dead, but central command is optimistic that we'll be home by next Christmas."

Doc Hawkins posted:

:extremely ken burns voice: my dearest clara, i sometimes fear that this great edition war shall never end

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
That post above is your annual reminder to read DIE.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I'd rather DIE!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kestral posted:

That post above is your annual reminder to read DIE.

I think I've read the first issue of DIE three times and always think "this is great!" but have never read anything else for some reason.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i read die last year, it's pretty good. anyone who cares enough about analog rpgs to read a thread like this would probably get a lot out of it. it's weirdly well-researched, like promethea for d&d.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

i read die last year, it's pretty good. anyone who cares enough about analog rpgs to read a thread like this would probably get a lot out of it. it's weirdly well-researched, like promethea for d&d.

Gillen was a music and then games journalist before comic writer so it's not that weird

oddly I kind of credit Gillen with getting me back into RPGs (after the normal teenage stint of bad games with bad people) with Phonogram, which made me want to make something in a way I didn't have the ability to fulfill until I rediscovered RPGs.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i knew they're a perceptive and empathetic writer. i think the crux of my personal prejudice is, it went into historical depths i didn't expect to fit into a comic. i think i gave up on comics for a few years there. forget Little Wars, it brings in Gondal and Glasstown! so, fie on me.

has anyone read or played the game? i think it's existence is a really good example of how both the rises and falls of d&d's popularity are good for the popularity of roleplaying games in the long run.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I have the game. It’s a bit odd, in that it’s designed around the idea that you play as players returning to an RPG they played in the past. So a lot of the game world is improvised or player led. Also, it has the Over The Edge problem where even though you’re playing different players, you still play the DIE classes that were designed for the personalities of the comic characters.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Over on EN World, there's been discussion over several people resigning from Evil Genius games in short succession, as announced on their respective Facebook posts

For those who don't know, Evil Genius Games is a third party publisher for the Everyday Heroes line, a 5th Edition revival of the D20 Modern RPG.

Currently five people have made such announcements, and a common theme among the ex-employees was concern over ethics and disagreements with the company owner on such matters.

While they're under NDAs and thus can't come forward as to specifics, the CEO and a current employee later weighed in, with the former alleging that the ethical concerns were over the use of "controversial technologies such as Artificial Intelligence and Blockchain."

I've reviewed two of their products before and enjoyed them, so I've been following the company for a while now and this came under my radar recently. I should note that the story is still developing, so there could be new revelations made since this post. While there are threads elsewhere such as RPGnet, EN World has the most interaction including from the CEO, one post by an ex-employee, and a current EGG employee.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 9, 2024

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The CEOs post says they have a policy condemning AI and blockchain, which makes me think it's a misdirection. There's no way so these people quit because they wanted to use AI.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Libertad! posted:

Over on EN World, there's been discussion over several people resigning from Evil Genius games in short succession, as announced on their respective Facebook posts

For those who don't know, Evil Genius Games is a third party publisher for the Everyday Heroes line, a 5th Edition revival of the D20 Modern RPG.

Currently five people have made such announcements, and a common theme among the ex-employees was concern over ethics and disagreements with the company owner on such matters.

While they're under NDAs and thus can't come forward as to specifics, the CEO and a current employee later weighed in, with the former alleging that the ethical concerns were over the use of "controversial technologies such as Artificial Intelligence and Blockchain."

I've reviewed two of their products before and enjoyed them, so I've been following the company for a while now and this came under my radar recently. I should note that the story is still developing, so there could be new revelations made since this post. While there are threads elsewhere such as RPGnet, EN World has the most interaction including from the CEO, one post by an ex-employee, and a current EGG employee.

Also of note they were the ones involved in that whole Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon fiasco where Evil Genius was going to do a game for the setting and there was a lawsuit against Netflix.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Libertad! posted:

Full disclosure but I've worked with and interacted with one of the people who resigned so I might be biased. With that being said something that I noticed was that the time frame given for some of the work done seemed a bit ridiculous and that the AI discussion almost seemed like a bit of a diversion. Setting up an organized pay program in the span of six months is a pretty monumental task for one person. Basically you have the operations side where you are managing large amounts of people and then you have the creative side which develops the adventures and plot line for a given "season". In fact even Evil Genius Games says as much that Mike was doing the work of multiple people in one of their blog posts.

https://evilgeniusgames.com/blog/e-g-o-blog-episode-3/

quote:

Fortunately, because Michael was doing the work of several people,

So already you have some warning signs and then on top of that he was writing books. Like even if the CEO was being honest it really does seem like the amount of workload was a potential problem for its employees.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 9, 2024

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

3 Action Economist posted:

The CEOs post says they have a policy condemning AI and blockchain, which makes me think it's a misdirection. There's no way so these people quit because they wanted to use AI.

The policy went up after most of the resignations; it reads a little bit like shutting the barn door after he realized how angry the horses were. And the horses were angry because he wasn’t agreeing to not use AI.

Edit: I also just read the comment from Faith Elisabeth Lilley about helping other ex-employees process trauma; so yes, while I think the CEO was trying to implement AI and got real pushback, I also buy that there are other issues.

Thanlis fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 9, 2024

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Dragonlance author confirms Joe Manganiello’s secret TV project is dead

There was work being done on a Dragonlance TV series, but it's now deader than a Stoned Draconian.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/drangonlance-live-action-project-cancelled-joe-manganiello-dungeons-dragons/

You tried, Joe.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
he got divorced so hard they took his tv show

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Hah he doesn't need that crap. He'll always have his role as Deathstroke the Termi... wait what's this news I'm reading.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

Hah he doesn't need that crap. He'll always have his role as Deathstroke the Termi... wait what's this news I'm reading.

Yes, sorry, the balance of power in the DC universe changed just as the Rock said it would.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lol

https://comicbook.com/gaming/amp/news/joe-manganiello-compares-baldurs-gate-3-to-early-dungeons-dragons-fifth-edition/

Joe M. posted:

Manganiello said that the controversy led to Mearls getting pushed out of the 'drivers' seat' for Dungeons & Dragons. "And then the Twitter mob rises up with the pitchforks and the torches and it was right in that kind of weird spot when all of that was at its height and everyone was listening to the mob in that way," Manganiello said. "There are some people within [Wizards of the Coast] that saw their opportunity to try to go for Mike's head and get him out of the driver's seat and they were successful and in the end they were allowed to do it. I told Mike at one point, it was like Jimmy Johnson winning back to back Super Bowls with the Cowboys and kicking him out and replacing him with Barry Switzer and then just dismantling the team. There were a bunch of people that saw the opportunity to take credit for what Mike did, to try to launch and alter the game into a new edition and it just has gone downhill since

That man loves him some Mike Mearls

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 10, 2024

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So in this analogy who on the cowboys would be Critical Role, The Adventure Zone, and Stranger Things, the actual stuff that made 5e successful.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

I had no idea who he was until just now but gently caress him straight to the sun.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's like no way that those are his own actual opinions. I mean I'm preaching to the choir when I say that nobody, regardless of their own opinions about D&D editions, believes that Mearls solicited and incorporated a lot of feedback from diehard 4e players.

I doubt Manganiello is at all invested in D&D as an actual ruleset/trio of books.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Welcome to the normie opinions world, goons.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Normies don't have opinions about Mike Mearls.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Halloween Jack posted:

Normies don't have opinions about Mike Mearls.

Normies who are put into a position where they're talking to Mike Mearls and can ask "so what was designing 5e like" as random water cooler talk do.

(So yeah. It's not normal, but it's the kind of weird you'd expect from a random guy who liked D&D back in the day but whose only reference point for the 5e edition change is talking to the people who oversaw it.)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Halloween Jack posted:

There's like no way that those are his own actual opinions. I mean I'm preaching to the choir when I say that nobody, regardless of their own opinions about D&D editions, believes that Mearls solicited and incorporated a lot of feedback from diehard 4e players.

I doubt Manganiello is at all invested in D&D as an actual ruleset/trio of books.

I do believe that, but it was like the concept of Sustain Minor and a bunch of assorted spellcaster QoL.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Love the passive voice on the whole "some sort of controversy involving Zak Smith, let's just not go into what exactly that was, it was just you know a regular controversy barely worth talking about until the woke mob."

Like, what was it, Joe? What was the controversy regarding Mearls and Smith? I honestly wonder if he even knows.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
That would be an extremely normal thing to go on at length about to a reporter.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My friend met Joe at Gencon once, just walking around the vendor hall. He's probably some form of nerd that enjoys playing the game and talked to Mearls who told him whatever bullshit and Joe took it at face value.

His opinions are bad and wrong regardless

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Halloween Jack posted:

sorry goons, this one is for the normies!

weast
Nov 7, 2012

”Joe M.” posted:

The actor explained to ComicBook.com the origins of Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition, with Mearls and other designers part of a "crack team" who helped to resurrect the game from a low point due to divisive nature of Fourth Edition. "They thought [Dungeons & Dragons] was going to be over," Manganiello said. "Judging by the [sales] numbers of Fourth Edition, the vitriol towards that edition, they decided that it was over and that everyone left the game. So Mike Mearls was put in charge of this team to try to figure out what to do next. And they started polling some of the fans who were left. But whoever was left from Fourth Edition were really diehard lovers of the game. And so when you reach out and ask a really concentrated fanbase about what to do next, you're going to get good answers because these are people who have been there since the jump and say what is wrong. And so the feedback was really fantastic for Fifth Edition and Mearls was smart enough, he listened to it all and created this edition that was the most popular tabletop gaming system of all time."
Do you think this is what Mearls told him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean yeah, I suppose in interview format it would be weird for him to go into detail. I would also say while it isn't weird, it is super disappointing for him to bring up something as significant as that only to sort of arbitrarily downplay it as a minor kerfuffle that was harmless outside of bothering internet weirdos. Dude sucks, I guess.