Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Having to negotiate a pay deal with striking workers before the biscuits run out was inspired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You could easily game the staff negotiation in theme park by pushing the hand far the the right and then drawing back slowly as the union rep reached out. If your timing is right you can get them to accept a negative rise each time.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

You could easily game the staff negotiation in theme park by pushing the hand far the the right and then drawing back slowly as the union rep reached out. If your timing is right you can get them to accept a negative rise each time.

Stop giving Starmer ideas

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Worriedly trawling the 'controversies' and 'political career' sections of Henry hoover's wikipedia.

Bloody loves the sniff iirc

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

keep punching joe posted:

That's how I used to do it.

That and reduce the price of chips, load them with salt. Then increase the price of drinks and the ammount of ice in the drinks.

The best way of making money.

Apart from cheating. Cheating was the most moral way of getting more money.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ms Adequate posted:

Huh, normally if someone has to wait 75-odd years for the crown and then is on their way out after less than a year wearing it, they have truly incredible stats. Rip Chuck 3, lol if something somehow takes out William and his kids and we have King Harry, there'd be so much boiled piss

This would be absolutely peak comedy timeline stuff.

Harry quite obviously harbours a hell of a lot of resentment towards his family and probably would absolutely not want to be king. I'm not sure how far he's opposed to the institution of the monarchy as a whole but it does make me wonder what would happen if it did end up falling to someone in his position.

What would actually happen if an overt republican black sheep member of the royal family became king and actively tried to gently caress over the whole institution? Could (for arguments sake assuming he's a secret commie) comrade Harry actually bring the whole thing down if he was just openly calling it out and using his many silly medieval legal privileges to leverage that? It would put parliament in a very awkward position because their options would be to agree, torpedoing the monarchy, or resist his overreach and get into conflict - which they'd win - with the crown, also torpedoing the monarchy. And it's not like it's exactly easy or politically feasible for MI5 to ensure someone is found on a hill in the Cairngorms having shot themselves five times in the back of the head when that person is the literal king.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

This nonsense makes me ask a lot of questions.

Is it even economically viable to re-open abandoned coal mines? I mean, they sure as hell weren't abandoned because the owners were getting too rich, right?

And even if, Germany had a serious problem with our old, depleted coal mines slowly undermining our cities. It's a great joke of recent times that many still open coal mines are run as some sort of busy work to keep existing coal miners working.

We also have tons of brown coal, and use gigantic horror machines to eat up the landscape. Maximum destruction for minimum gain, the German way.

Is that even possible in Northern England? Does England have the right kind of coal for this kind of near-surface mining? Would the people in Northern England continue to vote for the party responsible for giant metal horrors eating their villages?*

*Sometimes in the German South, entire villages are bought up and people living there are forced to relocate, since they are too close to or inside a planned mining zone. The village then just disappears from the map.

The best way I can see this mad plan go is that everyone suckered into re-opening the old mines learns that the operators of the coal power plants would probably prefer to continue buying cheap, foreign coal. Then the mines re-close after a wave of bankruptcies.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Stewart restoration when?

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
In PMQs, Sunak just had a hosed up dig at Starmer about trans people with Brianna Ghey's mother in the gallery...

What a utter loving oval office. I have no words.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
gently caress's sake :catstare:

Libluini posted:

This nonsense makes me ask a lot of questions.

Is it even economically viable to re-open abandoned coal mines? I mean, they sure as hell weren't abandoned because the owners were getting too rich, right?
The focus on coal mines over any other industry and way of life is due to popular resentment in coal areas of the country over the clash between Thatcher and the miners in the 80s.

The 'popular conservatives' trying to pick up on that is just stupid rear end poo poo, and yes it would run straight into the fact that one reason they closed was because they couldn't pay the miners a decent wage and still generate the profits that the owners wanted. And nobody really believes that the PopCons would side with the miners when they were reopened.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Clearly we can solve all our energy woes by finally cracking open those rich coal veins under London.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

This would be absolutely peak comedy timeline stuff.

Harry quite obviously harbours a hell of a lot of resentment towards his family and probably would absolutely not want to be king. I'm not sure how far he's opposed to the institution of the monarchy as a whole but it does make me wonder what would happen if it did end up falling to someone in his position.

What would actually happen if an overt republican black sheep member of the royal family became king and actively tried to gently caress over the whole institution? Could (for arguments sake assuming he's a secret commie) comrade Harry actually bring the whole thing down if he was just openly calling it out and using his many silly medieval legal privileges to leverage that? It would put parliament in a very awkward position because their options would be to agree, torpedoing the monarchy, or resist his overreach and get into conflict - which they'd win - with the crown, also torpedoing the monarchy. And it's not like it's exactly easy or politically feasible for MI5 to ensure someone is found on a hill in the Cairngorms having shot themselves five times in the back of the head when that person is the literal king.

It’s a funny thought experiment. I would think though if the King was openly calling for the abolition of the monarchy the most likely outcome though would be a bunch of the Commonwealth realms taking him up on that deal and the British parliament either giving in or transferring the crown to someone else (my bet would be leaning on Andrew to make him decline and passing the throne to his daughter Beatrice). And then the media would forget all about it just like they all forgot how much they hated Camilla.

All that said I’d very much doubt that Harry is particularly opposed to Monarchy per se. There may be bad blood between his family and he might have a bit of a firmer grasp on reality but Henry the Ninth would probably just try to model himself on the various Scandinavian monarchs, slimming down the expenses and pomp to appear more of a “modern” king.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

FiftySeven posted:

In PMQs, Sunak just had a hosed up dig at Starmer about trans people with Brianna Ghey's mother in the gallery...

What a utter loving oval office. I have no words.

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1755203387539284020

Absolute oval office...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sebzilla posted:

Bloody loves the sniff iirc

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mossyfisk posted:

Clearly we can solve all our energy woes by finally cracking open those rich coal veins under London.

if this generates headlines like "London Library Takes A Downturn" when buildings start to collapse, I'm all for it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Henry, noooo, that's a bad sniff buddy :ohdear:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

And nothing will come of it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sunak always gives the overwhelming impression of the dork kid at school trying to be popular with the cool kids by acting the twat

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yep, sounds like they've used up their very expensive and limited supply of ground to air missiles taking out a bunch of flying lawnmowers and now they've got to withdraw.

Do they not have CIWS guns or even like, a dual purpose main gun? Is it really entirely reliant on SAMs for anti missile defence?

Also I approve of replacing the tomahawks with a gym, if you want to kill people on the land go get hench and do it yourself.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 7, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

smellmycheese posted:

Sunak always gives the overwhelming impression of the dork kid at school trying to be popular with the cool kids by acting being the twat

He's a finance guy, he's a oval office at heart but he was covering it in the period from running as an MP until becoming PM.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Do they not have CIWS guns or even like, a dual purpose main gun? Is it really entirely reliant on SAMs for anti missile defence?

Also I approve of replacing the tomahawks with a gym, if you want to kill people on the land go get hench and do it yourself.

I like SAM, he is big and strong and my friend.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Modern warships don't have those ww2 style anti-aircraft flak guns any more, they've not really adapted to the new world of plentiful suicide drones. Afaik, they've normally got a small number of anti-aircraft and anti-ship missiles onboard, plus a single smallish gun on the front deck for emergencies, e.g. if the Iranians try to swarm you with speedboats.

I can imagine flak guns making a comeback in future, they'd be pretty effective against slow flying drones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not flak guns, like modern computer controlled, radar guided point defence guns. The americans use the ones with the big tic tac shaped ammo tank on the top and I think they license them out to the UK too.

The iranians, funnily, also have a variant of the technology except they just glue four old soviet ZU-23s onto a robotic aiming mount and give control of it to a computer.

As you say they seem like a better choice if you're worried about kamikaze drones because you don't have to spend expensive missiles on them, just a short burst of gunfire. I'm sure the RN has them on some of their ships so you would think they'd send one that did have them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 7, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Health and Safety stickers gone mad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0r4UX69X14

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A gym is a better use of ship space anyway since then your guys can spec STR/END and medium roll out of the way of the drones.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A gym is a better use of ship space anyway since then your guys can spec STR/END and medium roll out of the way of the drones.

Passing my Sneak/Tech Use tests to manoeuvre into the drone's blind spot and remove it's targeting circuit without being detected.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

"Range - eleven hundred Yards"

Please tell me they're not using Imperial units on a modern warship !

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

Not flak guns, like modern computer controlled, radar guided point defence guns. The americans use the ones with the big tic tac shaped ammo tank on the top and I think they license them out to the UK too.

The iranians, funnily, also have a variant of the technology except they just glue four old soviet ZU-23s onto a robotic aiming mount and give control of it to a computer.

As you say they seem like a better choice if you're worried about kamikaze drones because you don't have to spend expensive missiles on them, just a short burst of gunfire. I'm sure the RN has them on some of their ships so you would think they'd send one that did have them.

I think the big white tank is one of its two radars. I've seen the front open and its full of electronics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe it fires the electronics out too, 65% more bullet per bullet style.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tory procurement strategy unearthed.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

keir starmer boldly speaking out against transphobia, so long as it isn't from his party and phrased in the correct euphemisms

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

smellmycheese posted:

Sunak always gives the overwhelming impression of the dork kid at school trying to be popular with the cool kids by acting the twat

That's exactly what he is, except instead of the cool kids he's trying to be popular with a wider party for whom he will never be white enough to like and a smaller inner circle of "loyalists" who smile and nod and call him racial slurs the second he leaves the room. The only thing he knows is money, he doesn't understand that he has no true allies and never has.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There's been a leak of emails to do with Michelle Mone's dodgy PPE contract
https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1755244276819124326

Guardian article here - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ppe-firm-medpro

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Never known why he even wanted to be PM, beyond the bragging rights. I've got no doubt he'll be far happier once he's doing vaguely-defined duties on the boards of a number of obscure but extremely wealthy financial services firms (and probably earning far more than he does now, too).

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pistol_Pete posted:

Never known why he even wanted to be PM, beyond the bragging rights.
It'll be to do with things like the billions of pounds given to his wife's family's firm as well as all the other dodgy contracts that we've yet to hear of.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

loving hilarious hearing some of the Labour pearl clutching though, like where the gently caress does Anneliese Dodds get off trying to score points on this

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Respectability politics.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

mfcrocker posted:

loving hilarious hearing some of the Labour pearl clutching though, like where the gently caress does Anneliese Dodds get off trying to score points on this

As someone pointed out on Twitter, they aren't angry about the transphobia, they just don't like the incivility of the comment. It's so rude

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

DECORUM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

McShitter would politely and respectfully drag trans women out of the mixed gender ward by their hair to put them in the segregation zone.