Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

sleep with the vicious posted:

Lol

FT: China on cusp of next-generation chip production despite US curbs

China’s national chip champions expect to make next-generation smartphone processors as early as this year, despite US efforts to restrict their development of advanced technologies.

The country’s biggest chipmaker SMIC has put together new semiconductor production lines in Shanghai, according to two people familiar with the move, to mass produce the chips designed by technology giant Huawei.

While 5nm chips remain a generation behind the current cutting-edge 3nm ones, the move would show China’s semiconductor industry is still making gradual progress, despite US export controls.

Huawei had surprised the industry and analysts with its advances when its Mate 60 Pro premium smartphone launched in August featuring a 7nm processor

Could this be just a demonstration by Huawei and SMIC to show the Chinese government it can be done?” said Douglas Fuller, an expert on China’s semiconductor industry. “If money is no object, then it might happen.”

i used to think the western media obsession with producing smaller and smaller chip sizes than the chinese could produce was overblown, but then i saw the improvements that the new iPhone 14 had over the iPhone 13 and i gotta say i’ve changed my mind ever since

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

you're gonna need those chips reeeeeeeeal small to put them where they need to go. like, imagine a cloud of nanobots floating around your skull beaming advertisements information rich-media to your auditory system and optic nerve. that's the iphone 16.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://x.com/brad_setser/status/1754929869870260653

(*) unrecorded imports/ de minimis imports from China are now big

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

what's the dollar value that triggers inspections on items imported to the US? I remember learning about how different nations have different rules about declaring/inspecting internationally shipped items, and it surprised me. certain nations seemed protectorate whereas others were more laissez faire regarding imports. I wonder if the world trade balance has anything to do with this or if it is just random numbers.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

webcams for christ posted:

(*) unrecorded imports/ de minimis imports from China are now big

I think people are starting to figure out that they can get the same garbage off of Ali Express that they can from Amazon (as in, exactly the same items) at, like, 1/10th the price. It just takes a little longer.

palindrome posted:

what's the dollar value that triggers inspections on items imported to the US? I remember learning about how different nations have different rules about declaring/inspecting internationally shipped items, and it surprised me. certain nations seemed protectorate whereas others were more laissez faire regarding imports. I wonder if the world trade balance has anything to do with this or if it is just random numbers.

$800? $850? Somewhere around there. It's a pretty big number compared to most countries.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Chinese exports to Mexico from 2019 to 2022 practically doubled, despite COVID. I doubt the Chinese aren't making any money off of this. Also, Chinese exports to the US are still rising on top of that. (It is kind of hilarious seeing China's exports to Mexico, and Mexico's exports to the US surge up at the same time).

Mexico is also exporting independently of China as well, but in this case, it really doesn't seem like the Chinese are making less money, rather both Mexico and China are raking in money from exports while US trade deficit is still worse than it was before COVID.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:40 on Feb 7, 2024

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How long until someone cracks the car denuvo and enables all the "services" for free?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Azuth0667 posted:

How long until someone cracks the car denuvo and enables all the "services" for free?

Someone's already done it, I'm sure.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

my prediction for the market collapse is it will be on a day of the week that hasn't been given a "Black ______" day yet.

The best candidate looks to be Black Wednesday. Black Wednesday was claimed by some british silver crisis but the UK hasn't been relevant to the developed world for centuries so that one is still open.

So stock market crash today. Lock it in.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

palindrome posted:

it’s 800

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/trade-enforcement/tftea/section-321-programs

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

There is no loving way Artemis is beating China back to the moon

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

People have been hacking ECUs forever. I can't imagine the entertainment systems or heated wheel and seats are more complicated.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Kreeblah posted:

I think people are starting to figure out that they can get the same garbage off of Ali Express that they can from Amazon (as in, exactly the same items) at, like, 1/10th the price. It just takes a little longer.

Yup and the return process (read: straight refund) is not awful either. Search sucks though. You can find anything but there is an art to it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

That's just it: there will be something else before anyone is allowed to fully process the "failures" of AI. That's how this cycle works.

people haven’t said “quantum” in awhile. maybe it will that

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
IK Contest is up

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1755209850814878162?s=20

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

i am harry posted:

well see I’ve been trying to show my daughter how to eat from the grocery store smart - buy the marked down bread for a dollar, one of those $3 salads marked down for a dollar (they come with some dressing and a fork), some lunch meat, and you’ve got sandwiches for two…so this was the only marked down salad I could find, it was half off, and $5 was still too drat much for it

of all the things to trim in your budget why would your first instinct be "eat wilted lettuce and baloney"? that's the stuff your body is supposed to be using to fuel itself

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Plenty of jobs but they aren't no good.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

OH MY BAD posted:

of all the things to trim in your budget why would your first instinct be "eat wilted lettuce and baloney"? that's the stuff your body is supposed to be using to fuel itself

Just wait until you hear about the garbage your forebearers ate (because we will be returning to it)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

People have been hacking ECUs forever. I can't imagine the entertainment systems or heated wheel and seats are more complicated.

ukraine was the classic example for jail braking the tractor DRMs, which was becoming quite a large cottage industry among euros farmers

i know the big concern is that hacking the ECU and stuff might void the car’s warranty or insurance, get in a terrible fender bender and the insurance might say it’s your fault because you changed the settings on the lights for example

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Just wait until you hear about the garbage your forebearers ate (because we will be returning to it)

All pemmican, all the time

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1755226364100149467?t=Qi3GdKlkz5vfvk1kTlX9dA&s=19

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

"okay forget interviewing for the job you already have: should the job you have now exist??"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

propaganda machine is working overtime atm

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

vegetable garden

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jel Shaker posted:

i know the big concern is that hacking the ECU and stuff might void the car’s warranty or insurance, get in a terrible fender bender and the insurance might say it’s your fault because you changed the settings on the lights for example

I think warranty. If you tune your Golf R to have a hotter hatch, you void VW's 6 year warranty.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao at the goon tech lobbyist who said top tech people and the government see ai as a way to liquidate computer touchers.

Goons are so stupid lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

OH MY BAD posted:

vegetable garden

People packed into tenements didn't have room for vegetable gardens and neither will we

The entire cause of the Irish Potato Famine was that tenant farmers didn't have enough room to grow diverse foods for their own families because of landlord demands, so they had to grow a single crop optimized for maximum calories.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

No billions for Musky, no job for you

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Elon must have some Tesla stock leveraged loans maturing soon.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tesla shares up 1.5% on rumor of possible layoffs lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao at the goon tech lobbyist who said top tech people and the government see ai as a way to liquidate computer touchers.

Goons are so stupid lol

Tech workers have been getting laid off left and right for plural years now. High-paying jobs are being replaced with low-paying ones and all the talking heads are saying about it is "look, there are jobs"

I don't think AI is the instrument being used for it (yet) but it's pretty undeniable that capital wants to humble computer touchers because they hate paying them so much and allowing them work/life balance, so I'm not sure what's so stupid about that prediction

the whole thing about how the only acceptable way to improve material conditions for the poor is having them "learn 2 code" is also in service of this goal btw, gotta break the tech labor market if you want to pay the workers less

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

quote:

The Federal Reserve should likely reduce its policy rate two or three times this year based on the information on the economy currently in hand, Minneapolis Fed President Neel Kashkari said on Wednesday, even as he cautioned he could change his mind as more inflation data comes in.

"Sitting here today I would say two to three cuts would seem to be appropriate for me right now...that's my gut based on the data we have so far," Kashkari said in an interview with broadcaster CNBC.

Kashkari added if the labor market continues to be strong, the U.S. central bank could reduce interest rates "quite slowly" but if there was a material slowdown it might have to go more quickly.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Tesla shares up 1.5% on rumor of possible layoffs lol

it's absolutely hilarious how the stock market is our main measure of economic health when people getting fired drives stock prices up lol

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

People packed into tenements didn't have room for vegetable gardens and neither will we

The entire cause of the Irish Potato Famine was that tenant farmers didn't have enough room to grow diverse foods for their own families because of landlord demands, so they had to grow a single crop optimized for maximum calories.

you're talking big time doom-chaos for a guy who let a british person trick them into buying a double butted steel frame, tires that MSRP at 90 bucks and a generator hub for 4 thousand dollars- i think i'll still be able to grow my lil veggies in my side yard

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That's precisely why the stock market is used as a measure of economic health. Little people don't matter.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

loquacius posted:

Tech workers have been getting laid off left and right for plural years now. High-paying jobs are being replaced with low-paying ones and all the talking heads are saying about it is "look, there are jobs"

I don't think AI is the instrument being used for it (yet) but it's pretty undeniable that capital wants to humble computer touchers because they hate paying them so much and allowing them work/life balance, so I'm not sure what's so stupid about that prediction

the whole thing about how the only acceptable way to improve material conditions for the poor is having them "learn 2 code" is also in service of this goal btw, gotta break the tech labor market if you want to pay the workers less

That isn't why goons are stupid. They are stupid because a bunch of goons went gaga over the thought of using it for less work. They couldn't connect the dots.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
also my forefathers weren't disgusting bog people. they were stupid polacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

2 fed governors have said their will be rate cuts sometime this year. Stock market at all time highs.