Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Philthy posted:

Being King's kid had to be pretty wild growing up. It's so freaking cool he grew up being a decent horror writer like his dad, too.

That's why God made fathers, babe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

I finally watched The Void, which was pretty good in my opinion. Well shot and some nice atmosphere. The writing could maybe have been a bit sharper, some of the dialogue and characterization felt a bit flat.

I seem to remember people complaining about how dark the movie is, and how you couldn't see any of the goop. I didn't have that problem at all. Was the movie updated with new brightness/contrast settings at some point, or what happened?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I thought we were done with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPY7J-flzE8

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Xiahou Dun posted:

I really want this to be wife/partner of the person who did the credits.

Also intrigued for Terror season 3.

giving her that credit was how they first got together :unsmith:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

An Even Quieter-er Place

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Honestly, why? It’s a horror franchise. Since when do they end those even if they’re not headed by big Hollywood people and crush the box office? There’s three movies for that Sandra Bullock knockoff.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

A Quiet Place, A Quieter Place, and Quietest Place was right there and instead they went with the worst options.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Someone needs to use King's 80s face for some kind of sasquatch ghoul who lives in a child's closet. I'm thinking of one of his short stories where a guy is haunted by a bogeyman, and at the end of the story he finds out the psychiatrist he's been seeing is the bogeyman in disguise

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Honestly, why? It’s a horror franchise. Since when do they end those even if they’re not headed by big Hollywood people and crush the box office? There’s three movies for that Sandra Bullock knockoff.

I guess just the three years that have gone by, I heard no news of a sequel and I thought maybe we were off the hook. Plus I figured that Blunt's involvement would actually make a sequel less likely, because she's got plenty of other opportunities to consider beyond just running A Quiet Place into the ground. But didn't think of the prequel spin-off scenario.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

davidspackage posted:

Someone needs to use King's 80s face for some kind of sasquatch ghoul who lives in a child's closet. I'm thinking of one of his short stories where a guy is haunted by a bogeyman, and at the end of the story he finds out the psychiatrist he's been seeing is the bogeyman in disguise

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I was just about to post that. I will admit I'm a bit intrigued, but it does hinge on does the cat live.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They got so much milage out of that Alien Covenant track. Hell yeah

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

If I were producing these movies I'd do a William Castle thing and make it so that if the audience makes too much sound the film inserts a randomized jumpscare

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's from that era of films from the UK really not being afraid of showing how balls out weird they can go.

It's so unique and I love it, an unmistakable look and feel. It might turn into a Ken Loach movie or Annie Lennox might come on the screen and start singing.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Horror franchises literally only end after at least two direct-to-streaming sequels that both have to perform badly, then for a rebootquel five years later to also fail. Then you buy yourself maybe another five years.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I never watched the second one, possibly never will, but I AM more interested in this. If we actually stay with the initial event for most of the movie, I'm definitely down to watch the monsters rack up a kill count.

I forget; the shrug-off explanation for how the Pentagon managed to lose to these things was 'immune to bullets' right?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Calico Heart posted:

Horror franchises literally only end after at least two direct-to-streaming sequels that both have to perform badly, then for a rebootquel five years later to also fail. Then you buy yourself maybe another five years.

There's a joke here about the old zombie hand clawing its way out of the ground cliche, but I feel like it's one of those ones that's so obvious you have to be far funnier than I am to make it land

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Phy posted:

There's a joke here about the old zombie hand clawing its way out of the ground cliche, but I feel like it's one of those ones that's so obvious you have to be far funnier than I am to make it land

I love that the image of this everyone has in their mind is CARRIE.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leatherhead posted:

I never watched the second one, possibly never will, but I AM more interested in this. If we actually stay with the initial event for most of the movie, I'm definitely down to watch the monsters rack up a kill count.

I forget; the shrug-off explanation for how the Pentagon managed to lose to these things was 'immune to bullets' right?

If it's anything like the scene in A Quiet Place 2, you'll see the monsters rush at people and snatch them up but you'll never actually see kills or gore of any kind. Very frustrating(for the audience) way to handle a creature feature imo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Leatherhead posted:

I wanna say it was a combination of tough as hell skin and fast as hell. They seem to be able to completely hide and come out of nowhere when there’s sound. They only kind of wander around when they’re hunting and people are being quiet. So guns probably draw a lot of attention.

But I don’t really remember.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Basebf555 posted:

If it's anything like the scene in A Quiet Place 2, you'll see the monsters rush at people and snatch them up but you'll never actually see kills or gore of any kind. Very frustrating(for the audience) way to handle a creature feature imo.

gently caress, you're probably right.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

STAC Goat posted:

I wanna say it was a combination of tough as hell skin and fast as hell. They seem to be able to completely hide and come out of nowhere when there’s sound. They only kind of wander around when they’re hunting and people are being quiet. So guns probably draw a lot of attention.

But I don’t really remember.

Well it's a movie, so all guns in the world make that weird rattling sound like they're full of BB's.

That's why.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If I were producing these movies I'd do a William Castle thing and make it so that if the audience makes too much sound the film inserts a randomized jumpscare

Honestly, dumb gimmicks might be the one way to trick me back into a theater. Give me something besides a less-comfortable and more annoying experience to entice me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I never saw any of the quiet places, are these aliens just like big strong animals or are they shown actually using any technology or weaponry? The impression I had was basically if you made a noise they'd attack you with like their claws but that makes them basically particularly aggressive tigers and uhhh we're pretty good at not getting conquered by tigers on a large scale.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I never saw any of the quiet places, are these aliens just like big strong animals or are they shown actually using any technology or weaponry? The impression I had was basically if you made a noise they'd attack you with like their claws but that makes them basically particularly aggressive tigers and uhhh we're pretty good at not getting conquered by tigers on a large scale.

Nah, that's pretty much the premise. It's dumb but was an okay first movie if you get beyond that.

Honestly, the best part of the movie is that's it's pretty good representation for the deaf community and singed-language speakers.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah but we only have a few thousand tigers left in the world and they've mostly learned to be scared of people.

The Antinoise Aliens seemingly number in the millions and aren't afraid of anything.

(It's still very stupid)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Baron von Eevl posted:

believe it or not this isn't even the most implausible and stupid part of the movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess there's enough we don't know to allow for some explanations that could make sense. Like, maybe the creatures are being sent down in waves by some superior intelligence that we haven't seen. So as much as we like to think the military could handle it, if there was a new wave of like a million creatures being sent down every week, it probably wouldn't take that long for them to overwhelm us.

Kinda like in Pacific Rim where humanity could figure out how to handle 1 or 2 kaiju, but the aliens were gonna keep ramping things up until we reached our breaking point.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Xiahou Dun posted:

Nah, that's pretty much the premise. It's dumb but was an okay first movie if you get beyond that.

Honestly, the best part of the movie is that's it's pretty good representation for the deaf community and singed-language speakers.

Yeah I have my complaints about the movies but I appreciate them having a deaf actress play a deaf character and actually doing the work with sign language and other small things that other movies would miss.

A third movie might be time to introduce a little more to the aliens, though. For the first movie it's fine for them to just be a monstrous threat with vague ideas about where they came from and why. Second movie stretches it a bit. By the third movie they've gotta include some kind of twist or a little bit of info to flesh things out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

believe it or not this isn't even the most implausible and stupid part of the movie

Their house is surrounded by corn fields, which is a crop so noisy you can literally hear it growing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Their house is surrounded by corn fields, which is a crop so noisy you can literally hear it growing.

Or the fact that humans breath pretty god drat loud, we're just kind of used to it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm loathe to call horror movies bad or stupid because often that can be a huge appeal but A Quiet Place was so up its own rear end with a great concept and horrible, bland plot that when it ended with the shotgun cock I just burst into hysterics and didn't stop laughing for ten minutes. I will not be watching any sequels.

For all the interesting things it did wrt deafness and sound design it wasted it on John Krasinki's Barefoot And Pregnant Wildman Survival Fantasy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's straight up a movie about how life would be richer if the neighbors didn't play loud music and you could go to the store without anybody spoiling the experience.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah but we only have a few thousand tigers left in the world and they've mostly learned to be scared of people.

The reason for this is we're pretty good at not getting conquered by tigers.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
What is the WEAKNESS??

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I usually think characters sacrificing themselves in movies is dumb, because it never actually accomplishes anything. But Krasinski sacrificing himself in the first movie is as dumb as it gets, just a total attempt to manipulate the audience into feeling sad and it doesn't even do anything. It loops back again to being funny, almost like that guy in Skull Island who gets tail whipped into a cliff and blows up instead of getting the noble sacrifice he expected.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

The reason for this is we're pretty good at not getting conquered by tigers.

And we did that before we invented the tank.

Human vs. animal got a lot more lopsided once we invented a giant metal box that can move around and fire huge guns at everything.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
To me the most striking part of the first movie was the grain bin scene, was interesting to see that in a movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WHY BONER NOW posted:

To me the most striking part of the first movie was the grain bin scene, was interesting to see that in a movie

WITNESS has an excellent and horrifying burial in grain scene.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

A Fancy Hat posted:

I usually think characters sacrificing themselves in movies is dumb, because it never actually accomplishes anything. But Krasinski sacrificing himself in the first movie is as dumb as it gets, just a total attempt to manipulate the audience into feeling sad and it doesn't even do anything. It loops back again to being funny, almost like that guy in Skull Island who gets tail whipped into a cliff and blows up instead of getting the noble sacrifice he expected.

Krasinski wishes he was in the CIA so bad he made a movie where the primary purpose was to psyop audiences into thinking he is a good father by ineffectively killing himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

WITNESS has an excellent and horrifying burial in grain scene.

The Harrison Ford movie? I'll have to check that out...