Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Vargatron posted:

Does the term "internal customer" bother anybody else, or is it just me? jfc, they're our coworkers, we don't need to set up departments like we're a completely separate service entity.

Whenever I hear someone earnestly talking about “internal customers” I think about Max Barry’s novel Company, where everyone works for this massive generic corporation but nobody knows what the company actually does outside of the CEO, no one’s allowed to ask, and every department is just providing a service to some other department.

Haven’t touched that book in almost 20 years and I honestly don’t remember if it was even any good, but that bit stuck with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We had people use that term in our company and the CEO removed them, possibly somewhat related. I think the team was based on billable work though so they had to track when time was spent not billing customers. The issue was they were trying to actually bill other departments lmao

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sepist posted:

We had people use that term in our company and the CEO removed them, possibly somewhat related. I think the team was based on billable work though so they had to track when time was spent not billing customers. The issue was they were trying to actually bill other departments lmao

This gets thrown over the fence every once and a while, and I just tell them "Sure we can do that, and it will create a good 10-20% overhead of admin waste. It'll also foster an environment where department head X doesn't ask for Y even though they really should, because it hits his department budget and looks bad. So even if he does ask, we will start quibbling over how many hours it took for Joe Developer to do his stuff."

Just do a steering committee, let the business throw everything they want on the board, and force a decision maker to actually prioritize things. It's not hard.

The only place I like to see direct resource billing done is on capex projects, so you can bill internal resource time against that project so it's properly accounted for. ie internal resources aren't taken for granted when doing new projects. Makes it clearer that there is a cost to actually implement <dumb thing no one needs> beyond the cost to just buy it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just ... force a decision maker ... prioritize things. It's not hard.

I mean, it's the right answer, but lmao

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Fool posted:

I mean, it's the right answer, but lmao

Ok maybe "not complex". It took a long time to actually get a functional steering committee.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If anybody lands at a place like that then please know how rare it is. Cherish it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Ok maybe "not complex". It took a long time to actually get a functional steering committee.

Our IT steering committee is filled with people with no technical background to be able to make a knowledge based decision RE: application projects

As such, we get garbage programs from garbage vendors that don’t meet our customers needs. Hooray!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Reoxygenation posted:

I also hate it, but sometimes it does help to have a different label to distinguish stuff that's internal vs external, but in most cases it's a superfluous term, especially when it comes to IT, imo

We use it in this respect. Ultimately our IT department is acting as liaisons between the company and a bunch of 3rd party vendors. We serve the other departments while our vendors serve us.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
made the classic mistake of forgetting to treat a CEO at a client as a tempermental baby in an email today

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

ziasquinn posted:

made the classic mistake of forgetting to treat a CEO at a client as a tempermental baby in an email today

lol there's like 5 different styles of "executive communication" I have to use depending on the user addressed in e-mail because some professors will get extremely petulant that you didn't use Dr. <CHARNAME>, as the salutation.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm so glad I have never had to do "white glove" support. Also glad that at my side job I can basically get away with any kind of communication although I try to be polite to everyone and deferential to upper management. Also my boss and I pinch-hit for each other constantly so if upper management is being particularly stupid in an email chain I have him respond to it because he's better at hiding when he wants to end a sentence with "you idiot."

I've got an appointment with Parahexavoctal tomorrow for a resume write/re-write, hopefully I can start getting more responses with a better resume. It's rough, I've gotten some cold-calls for stuff that's in the right salary range but in a specialty I haven't worked in for like 4 years.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
took the day off because i was too stressed and tired

current mood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzP4_JT3Gfo (nsfw, swearing)

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Vargatron posted:

lol there's like 5 different styles of "executive communication" I have to use depending on the user addressed in e-mail because some professors will get extremely petulant that you didn't use Dr. <CHARNAME>, as the salutation.

Lmao. First name or gtfo. Physicians, okay, sure. But buddy, nobody gives a single poo poo about your pHd

E: outside of physicians only people I respect are getting Dr. — if I’m forced, you can bet they’re getting quarter-assed work

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

On behalf of MY WIFE, who find advising PhD candidates to be the most fulfilling part of her work as a professor, I feel compelled to point out that in terms of years of study, an MD is closer to a master's degree than a PhD.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i only call nurses doctors because they do all the actual work

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

nurse:doctor::helpdesk:sysadmin

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

tokin opposition posted:

this is 100% accurate

Funnily enough, my partner is doing premed and as I type is watching a video by a nurse about polarization of the heart, and how ECGs work. compared to the textbook and lecture content (taught by a cardiologist), the nurse is light on the biochemistry and physics, but her clinical analysis and practical application is spot on. Pretty classic theory vs practice dichotomy.

She’s also a former veterinary nurse and while vets are a biiiit more hands on vs doctors, they’re also pretty terrible at time management - another classic sysadmin trait!

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 8, 2024

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I was a vet tech for years before getting into IT and yes absolutely half your job is managing your doctor and shuffling them from appointment to appointment and reminding them what each appointment is for

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

tokin opposition posted:

Could not disagree more. If you have a helpdesk good enough for this to be true, I envy you.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Any much like helpdesk, nurses are either hyper competent or just the worst

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

That's really generous to doctors. Most doctors are like a level 3 support desk, they have a better understanding of how things work but are still most effective when they follow a script. There's a subset of doctors that develop processes and are more analogous to sysadmins or engineers, but there's no title difference in medicine so it's harder to tell them apart.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Titles are made up in IT anyway.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Chad help desk vs the virgin sysadmin

And buddy I wanna be a virgin

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Titles are made up in IT anyway.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Most of the helpdesk staff I know could be replaced by a simple shell script that forwards incoming requests up the chain

There are exceptions, but I'm trying to get them promoted off helpdesk

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

When I was in college I had a side job doing tech support. There were several clients varying doing both b2c and b2b. Since it was inbound it was pretty relaxed as you’d help people solve issues that annoyed them, so in general they were fairly happy.

One of the companies I supported had a different sales strategy though. They approached businesses/organizations to sell desktops to their employees at a heavily discounted price compared to what you’d normally pay in store. Profit came by way of proposing 3-5 models and selling hundreds of them per project.

The absolute worst people to deal with was when they did a project for a hospital. The QA for that project was not done well so we had a higher rate of hardware failures that had to be swapped. All employees were super nice about it after you’d explain the cause.

Except doctors. They had the worst Karen energy of all people I ever dealt with in several years of tech support. Refused to follow any troubleshooting script to verify it was indeed a hardware defect and this group was the most prone to user errors. Most of them didn’t want to listen and at one point one of them even went “dO yOu KnOw HoW lOnG i StUdIeD tO bEcOmE a DoCtOr?!?”. I kindly asked if computer troubleshooting and repairs were also part of his studies, which finally made him shut up.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I'm giving my two weeks notice today. 50/50 odds they'll let me go immediately vs make me stay the entire notice period and I honestly don't know which I'd prefer

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Gort posted:

Most of the helpdesk staff I know could be replaced by a simple shell script that forwards incoming requests up the chain

There are exceptions, but I'm trying to get them promoted off helpdesk

Its amazing how varied the term “helpdesk” really is. Minus the very worst dregs at my msp, most techs can handle reasonably difficult tasks and more senior titles generally reflect what someone can handle. As you say there are title exceptions in both directions but certainly not the rule.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

At the place I’m leaving there’s one guy whose up on what development is doing, is pretty good at checking just about everything, has knowledge of coding and can resolve most calls in under ten minutes.

There’s another guy who spent 3 hours with a customer’s ISP separating out the bands on the router because someone had mentioned that the WiFi printers only had a 2.4 radio.

I got the customer next call. Their model connected over Ethernet. It just came from the same manufacturer as the WiFi printers

This guys been here 3 years.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I work in at a small community college, been here about 2 years. The other two techs were surly last week about lack of new titles in X-number of years, or lack of advancement.

There are about a dozen of us in total in the department. With this small a team, wouldnt any advancement probably be into a different job totally? Our tech duties are about Tier 2, and Im not really understanding the intended result just given that internally I dont see anywhere for them to move up if they dont want to expand into additional roles.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

At the place I’m leaving there’s one guy whose up on what development is doing, is pretty good at checking just about everything, has knowledge of coding and can resolve most calls in under ten minutes.

There’s another guy who spent 3 hours with a customer’s ISP separating out the bands on the router because someone had mentioned that the WiFi printers only had a 2.4 radio.

I got the customer next call. Their model connected over Ethernet. It just came from the same manufacturer as the WiFi printers

Do you work for an MSP that doesn’t require your clients to use a supported network stack?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Cenodoxus posted:

Whenever I hear someone earnestly talking about “internal customers” I think about Max Barry’s novel Company, where everyone works for this massive generic corporation but nobody knows what the company actually does outside of the CEO, no one’s allowed to ask, and every department is just providing a service to some other department.

Haven’t touched that book in almost 20 years and I honestly don’t remember if it was even any good, but that bit stuck with me.

If you liked Company, and you are in this thread, you should check out The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross. Dry British humor + Cold War-ish spy agency in the modern era + some Lovecraftian stuff + IT professional = too drat good. It's the first in a series, so there'll be more after it.

Extremely worth the time for this thread's fiction reading list.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Cyks posted:

Do you work for an MSP that doesn’t require your clients to use a supported network stack?

No I do tech support for a vendor that targets small businesses and am putting in notice today. We are not supposed to do network support and its out of scope but we end up having to do it all the time because small businesses have no understanding of whats included in their contract and "We have to deliver satisfaction for our customers."

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sometimes you have to fire a customer.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vargatron posted:

Sometimes you have to fire a customer.

This is not how MSPs work though. Support everything as long as it can be billed.

“Figure it out, how hard can it be”

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I don't blame people for this any more, if they want to quarter-rear end their entire work day and produce crap and nobody cares enough to haul them up for it, then more power to them. poo poo employees being allowed to have no desire to improve is a manager problem or a rotten company.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This gets thrown over the fence every once and a while, and I just tell them "Sure we can do that, and it will create a good 10-20% overhead of admin waste. It'll also foster an environment where department head X doesn't ask for Y even though they really should, because it hits his department budget and looks bad. So even if he does ask, we will start quibbling over how many hours it took for Joe Developer to do his stuff."

Just do a steering committee, let the business throw everything they want on the board, and force a decision maker to actually prioritize things. It's not hard.

The only place I like to see direct resource billing done is on capex projects, so you can bill internal resource time against that project so it's properly accounted for. ie internal resources aren't taken for granted when doing new projects. Makes it clearer that there is a cost to actually implement <dumb thing no one needs> beyond the cost to just buy it.
If the company culture is aligned around the purpose of the incentive, chargebacks are a really good way of handling the situation where you're trying to do a platform migration to kill an expensive contract or license, and some BU insists on the old platform living longer than it has to

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

Open a support ticket. I've seen it where support asks for a csv of everyone and they add them all on the backend.

We did, and the response was to use Privilege Cloud. They never told us that was even an option

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vulture Culture posted:

If the company culture is aligned around the purpose of the incentive, chargebacks are a really good way of handling the situation where you're trying to do a platform migration to kill an expensive contract or license, and some BU insists on the old platform living longer than it has to

It’s a great incentive to actually decom systems, or bleed the department that does not want to migrate because it’s not hurting them (enough) to commit reaources to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

MJP posted:

If you liked Company, and you are in this thread, you should check out The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross. Dry British humor + Cold War-ish spy agency in the modern era + some Lovecraftian stuff + IT professional = too drat good. It's the first in a series, so there'll be more after it.

Extremely worth the time for this thread's fiction reading list.

As a warning it was written in the 90s and a bit of the humor reflects that. It gets woker as times goes on.