Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Yep, there's literally nothing to it if they have to pivot to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
WHile this is all amusing, watching him spinning plates and having the end coming, you do realize that if he loses this is game over for hm, right? That means he will do _anything_ to win.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

Created by Police Commissioner Theodore Roosevelt in 1895 to apprehend speeding horse-drawn carriages, the 29-member bike squad, known as the “Scorcher Squad,” made 1,366 arrests in its first year.

These fast riding cyclists were “scorchers” for the way they blazed down roads, the racers were called “cracks.”

Historic photo, not colorized.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Youth Decay posted:

https://twitter.com/AnnaBower/status/1755290689863049343

Of course Trump's own lawyers weighing in on the Fani Willis thing have to add their own dash of dickishness.

sounds like the affair stuff didnt hunt so now its time to just say she is a evil racist monster.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cimber posted:

WHile this is all amusing, watching him spinning plates and having the end coming, you do realize that if he loses this is game over for hm, right? That means he will do _anything_ to win.

i mean yeah. but i dont think he has the backing to do a coup/take over. jan 6th and the elector poo poo was his big shot and he hosed it up. alot of chuds will be afraid of feds traps and wont come. like i think their would be violence and bad times, but not "burn down the country" levels.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1755337605070160180

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean yeah. but i dont think he has the backing to do a coup/take over. jan 6th and the elector poo poo was his big shot and he hosed it up. alot of chuds will be afraid of feds traps and wont come. like i think their would be violence and bad times, but not "burn down the country" levels.

Most of the jan 6 underground organizers are in jail. Many of the unwitting participants are in jail. The attendees are afraid of ending up in jail.

There is no chance of another Jan 6. There's nobody to do it, and if there were, the FBI knows exactly what to look for in online circles to cut them off.

It's over for Trump unless he can get elected.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Their dumb convoy to the border was a wet fart in large part because conservatives have created the narrative that every right wing action is a honey trap by the feds to catch "patriots."

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Judge Schnoopy posted:

the FBI knows exactly what to look for in online circles to cut them off.

The FBI knew what was going on before the first one even happened.

The FBI and DOJ is salted through with chuds from top to bottom, which is why the FBI didn't think it necessary to get into Trump's back room at Mar a Lago when they were searching, and why it took the DOJ a year and a half or something to appoint Jack Smith. The SS, too: "Oh dear we updated those phones and that data is gone. The cell provider? Oh they have an 18 month retention policy, which is why I'm only telling you here now at 18 months +."

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My dad's a bit worked up after listening to today's NPR bit about the SCOTUS decision "[being the] beginning of a bloody unraveling of democratic norms."

I just keep telling him we'll get some 'troubles' but that's it. He agrees that the two of us will be fine.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Grouchio posted:

My dad's a bit worked up after listening to today's NPR bit about the SCOTUS decision "[being the] beginning of a bloody unraveling of democratic norms."

I just keep telling him we'll get some 'troubles' but that's it. He agrees that the two of us will be fine.

I'm happy that you are not so anxious that you cannot be calmed by words. If only we were all so lucky.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Grouchio posted:

The... pending decision?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

I'm curious how that would a bloody unraveling while a violent insurrection with deaths was not a much bigger tipping point to be worried about?

Fortunately I think we're out of the woods on that one as long as Donnie is kept out of office. Every batch of violent chuds that tries anything is too busy screaming about glowies at each other to organize anything serious. As long as they don't have their cult leader in charge of the country they won't believe they have official support for their actions and won't accomplish much more than stochastic terrorism that gets drowned out by another school shooting in a few days.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Judge denies Trump’s motion for mistrial in E. Jean Carroll defamation case

quote:

A federal judge denied Donald Trump’s motions for a mistrial in the defamation case brought by columnist E. Jean Carroll saying the former president’s arguments had no “merit” and are “entirely pointless.”

Judge Lewis Kaplan denied Trump’s motions from the bench during the civil trial and said a written order would follow. In the written order on Wednesday, the judge said granting a request for a mistrial “would have been entirely pointless” because it would only mean that the case would start over

:owned:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it's vaguely satisfying that by all appearances the rest of Trump's life will be playing legal whack-a-mole and trying desperately to milk his true believers for their lunch money

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

The... pending decision?
That was the NPR article, yes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Prediction: he gets a loan from the Russian Central Bank

Yeah a lot of corporations are risk averse, but 500m for a president to be in your debt is an incredible bargain for basically any adversarial state and the only question would be how do you get that done in a way that minimally resists scrutiny for 9 months, which is difficult but in no way insurmountable, either.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Prediction: he gets a loan from the Russian Central Bank
Wherein the former president is indicted for violating sanctions

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Maybe Ol Donnie will just sell a couple more secrets from the stash in his backroom.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I think the Suadis are more likely to pay it than the Russians.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Nervous posted:

Maybe Ol Donnie will just sell a couple more secrets from the stash in his backroom.

Can't; FBI confiscated everything except for what was in the rooms they couldn't g--oh. Oh.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Kchama posted:

Yep, there's literally nothing to it if they have to pivot to this.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I feel like that if Trump's team is having to go this route that there's no substance to any of the allegations thus far.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sounds like the affair stuff didnt hunt so now its time to just say she is a evil racist monster.

Bower and Lawfare generally are usually a bit better than this tweet, as despite being accurate it leads to this misconception. Trump already adopted the relationship motion and the Feb 2 reply to the state's opposition - this filing covers what Roman's reply left untouched, that something said in the speech merited disqualification.

So, the document linked in the tweet is arguing that In addition to the relationship the speech should disqualify her too.

Also, reiterating from the opposite end this time: That the court may (will, far as I can tell) rule that the relationship is not grounds for disqualification does not mean "there's no substance" or "literally nothing to it". Rejecting disqualification isn't even an indication that it 'wasn't that bad', as that decision would be made based on category than severity. Professional, legal, and ethical questions and consequences aren't dismissed just because it isn't disqualifying.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

Bower and Lawfare generally are usually a bit better than this tweet, as despite being accurate it leads to this misconception. Trump already adopted the relationship motion and the Feb 2 reply to the state's opposition - this filing covers what Roman's reply left untouched, that something said in the speech merited disqualification.

So, the document linked in the tweet is arguing that In addition to the relationship the speech should disqualify her too.

Also, reiterating from the opposite end this time: That the court may (will, far as I can tell) rule that the relationship is not grounds for disqualification does not mean "there's no substance" or "literally nothing to it". Rejecting disqualification isn't even an indication that it 'wasn't that bad', as that decision would be made based on category than severity. Professional, legal, and ethical questions and consequences aren't dismissed just because it isn't disqualifying.

We’re talking about it with regards to Trump’s case. If something else comes out of it, okay, but if it doesn’t disqualify her or anything with regards to the case, then it’s a nothingburger.

But again, if they have to jump to obvious BS, then they can’t be terribly confident in the relationship accusation.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Most of the jan 6 underground organizers are in jail. Many of the unwitting participants are in jail. The attendees are afraid of ending up in jail.

There is no chance of another Jan 6. There's nobody to do it, and if there were, the FBI knows exactly what to look for in online circles to cut them off.

Not to mention that if it were to happen again the Capitol Police would most certainly be better prepared, armed, and pissed. (Insurrectionists would likely be as well, so fun time ahead for all.)

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

alf_pogs posted:

it's vaguely satisfying that by all appearances the rest of Trump's life will be playing legal whack-a-mole and trying desperately to milk his true believers for their lunch money

I waver constantly between being very satisfied with the current legal situation, and very dissatisfied with how little material impact it has on the quality of his life so far.

I really enjoy watching him stock up on unforced legal errors (or "habbas") that currently represent existential business legacy enders, but I want him to end his life in prison.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Kavros posted:

I waver constantly between being very satisfied with the current legal situation, and very dissatisfied with how little material impact it has on the quality of his life so far.

I really enjoy watching him stock up on unforced legal errors (or "habbas") that currently represent existential business legacy enders, but I want him to end his life in prison.

One must imagine DT unhappy

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Throwing him in prison would be nice, but is never going to happen practically with the Secret Service protecting him. The best we can probably hope for is him losing everything but his Presidential pension and having to live under a loser than anyone else has ever had house arrest. Only in the nicest place that he can afford off a quarter million a year.

Edit: Unfortunately we'll never be able to enact true punishment on him, and have everyone he meets act as if they have no idea who he is.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

alf_pogs posted:

Comedy option: Trump becomes President, says you can't prosecute me for poo poo ever, Congress passes the Yes We loving Can Act, overrides veto

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
I've always thought the best punishment for Rich sacks of poo poo would just be to live the life of a free American at the poverty level.

So getting up every day at 5 AM to take two buses to your job at McDonald's where you get screamed at for being too slow. Sounds a hell of a lot harder than spending all day playing dice in prison.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gyges posted:

Throwing him in prison would be nice, but is never going to happen practically with the Secret Service protecting him.

Wouldn't that be like the easiest secret service gig. Like if he's in a white collar criminal prison you'd be think it would be easy enough to make it safe for him.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Uglycat posted:

One must imagine DT unhappy

He's always unhappy — someone as clinical as him suffers narcissistic injury from everything — but he still has access to a cushier life than most of us will ever know, surrounded by the trappings of wealth, handlers and lackeys. This is why I want a prison sentence, one that will ensure he spends any time where he just has to sit in general lockup and be miserable without his life of constant, opulent convenience. Trade his golden throne for a stainless steel shitter in open view.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah a lot of corporations are risk averse, but 500m for a president to be in your debt is an incredible bargain for basically any adversarial state and the only question would be how do you get that done in a way that minimally resists scrutiny for 9 months, which is difficult but in no way insurmountable, either.

I mean, Tucker Carlson did do a surprise trip to Russia to "interview" Putin after the verdict came down... :tinfoil:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gyges posted:

Throwing him in prison would be nice, but is never going to happen practically with the Secret Service protecting him. T

this is an entirely solvable problem.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just chuck him in with the J6 jailbirds and let them protect him.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Kavros posted:

He's always unhappy — someone as clinical as him suffers narcissistic injury from everything — but he still has access to a cushier life than most of us will ever know, surrounded by the trappings of wealth, handlers and lackeys. This is why I want a prison sentence, one that will ensure he spends any time where he just has to sit in general lockup and be miserable without his life of constant, opulent convenience. Trade his golden throne for a stainless steel shitter in open view.

At the absolute worst, he'll get house arrest and chill at MaL all day.

Hell, he could probably just leave whenever he wants and as with everything he does, nothing of consequence will happen.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
:siren: Supreme Court oral argument starts in 1 minute, here's the live audio link:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/live.aspx

Let's get ready rumble! And nerd out over obscure constitutional issues of first impression! Woo!

Edit: they're announcing opinions first, which isn't on the live audio stream! Woo!

BigHead fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 8, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If Clarence Thomas asks a question, drink

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
One of the few things I respect about Clarence Thomas is his opinion that oral arguments are bullshit.

gregday
May 23, 2003

If Clarence Thomas wakes up, drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Lol he asked the first question

My guess so far is that they rule he can run even if disqualified from holding office, and issue no finding on whether or not he's actually disqualified.