Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BonHair posted:

You are still using autistic to mean (a specific kind of) bad, instead of the acceptable use, which is something like "not understanding other people's emotions and social cues Very well". You are essentially still stigmatizing autism or using it pejoratively, which is not really cool.

Also this post, and presumably many others in this thread is actually autistic, because this forum tends to attract autistic people. And most of the posts (well, maybe) are good.

Autistic or not there's no way most of the posts are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

We've moved on
Time for a map:

It feels like it is extremely random as to how high the percentages are per country.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like you could describe it in another way. Like, what is it precisely you're saying is autism-style?

woppa autism style

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

heres a map to distract from blut's weird meltdown

This looks like it should be on a globe with a light on the inside, be cool as hell.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

EasilyConfused posted:

This looks like it should be on a globe with a light on the inside, be cool as hell.

i think it's something to do with travel or communications? its from my folder of big unlabeled maps

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It looks like freighter traffic. Dunno what's with the coloring of the land though.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Distance from nearest freighter port maybe?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume perhaps transport volume or something with trade routes drawn on.

Can't imagine much traffic through the amazon basin, central australia, or the sahara.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Could be commercial land and sea cargo traffic density.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DTurtle posted:

Time for a map:

It feels like it is extremely random as to how high the percentages are per country.

So this is saying more than 1 in 10 austrians are members of a choir? That seems insane but rock on Österreich

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Given the recent study that shows that fertilization isn't controlled by who arrives first, but by the egg itself (presumably what you refer to),

We have direct imaging studies of sperm now, and the Y ones don’t swim any faster.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

Could be commercial land and sea cargo traffic density.

I think that makes sense, the bright spots in the Sahara correspond to the big oasis towns and the lines in the Amazon correspond to the major highways through it. The Amazon's mostly empty, but if you follow the highways on a satellite view you can see a lot of farmland flanking both sides, and the produce has to go somewhere. There's also probably some diffusion at play, like, in Khazakstan it's probably more a lack of specific route data than exact truth that makes everywhere outside a city light brown--the traffic into the cities has to come from somewhere but it's not clear where, so just spread it out evenly, I guess.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Platystemon posted:

We have direct imaging studies of sperm now, and the Y ones don’t swim any faster.
Yes? Someone still arrives first, at which point the egg decides who is sexy enough to get absorbed.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So this is saying more than 1 in 10 austrians are members of a choir? That seems insane but rock on Österreich
Austria and the Netherlands, yes. I would guess that a lot of the membership is in church choirs. But it still all feels very random. For example the huge difference between the Netherlands and Belgium, or Denmark being so low in comparison to all surrounding countries.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

DTurtle posted:

But it still all feels very random. For example the huge difference between the Netherlands and Belgium, or Denmark being so low in comparison to all surrounding countries.

Now I know poo poo about choral singing but I'd be more surprised if the differences didn't seem randomly distributed. Because these kinds of things are very much a result of peculiar cultural currents and traditions of a country and that doesn't necessarily cross into neighbouring country. It can be as simple as some dude in 19th century starting something that ballooned into a greater cultural tradition while people over the border just shake their heads about them crazy people over there. Like if a school system in one country practiced choral singing from an early age and one not, it would make a difference because people often like things they are introduced in at an early age and there are cultural institutions build around that. And now even if church participation rates are same in both countries, one has a bigger choral tradition than other. Now that's purely hypothetical, but that kind of dynamic can easily explain these kind of seemingly random differences.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is the western degeneracy that Russia and Hungary should have been focusing on instead of all this "return to 1788" bullshit. Half the people didn't even have proper shoes back then.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Population density (sheeps and goats) and peste des petits ruminants outbreaks

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It's also completely made up I think (the shoes on/off map)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yes? Someone still arrives first, at which point the egg decides who is sexy enough to get absorbed.

It’s a hypothesis that is dubious on multiple grounds.

You raised one reason, and I gave another.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

distortion park posted:

It's also completely made up I think (the shoes on/off map)

Found this, which has some discrepancies

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Letmebefrank posted:

Found this, which has some discrepancies

This one is definitely wrong

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

For a start, I've been to Spain and it is NOT all blue

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the shoes map is designed to start internet arguments

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

redleader posted:

the shoes map is designed to start internet arguments

i wonder what the most provocative map would be ITT. the shoes one has come up before and did well, birth rates obviously does well from recent evidence, but perhaps there's an even more effective one?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Is DPRK good, or bad? Whomst can say

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Is Taiwan a good country? No data. What about Man or Faroe islands?
Also all those micro dots that get marked as existing, but no data. While most other maps just ignore them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Western Sahara and Somalia fail to qualify as countries, so no data.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So does Taiwan.

This dataset edited by PRC crew.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Taiwan is a Good Country but is being dragged down by Bad China

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Zoom in on Israel/Palestine for a fun surprise

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

DTurtle posted:

Time for a map:

I bet Wales is dragging up the UK average there, would love to see their data split out

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is DPRK good, or bad? Whomst can say

South Africa outperforming Botswana to that extent seems dubious. Assuming this is a relabeled map and not made up out of thin air

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mongolia is a bit weird there too, it has issues but it's not that bad.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
But how does it compare to the Great Country and Awesome Country indexes?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

distortion park posted:

i wonder what the most provocative map would be ITT. the shoes one has come up before and did well, birth rates obviously does well from recent evidence, but perhaps there's an even more effective one?

Acceptability of pizza toppings by country got a lot of traffic iirc.

I think birth rates is the only recent one I’ve seen where anyone actually seemed to care about the data debate though. Back during the pandemic there were also some COVID maps that got people actually posting while losing their cool - not sure exactly which thread though, it might have been the D&D Covid thread.

E: wow, the CSPAM Covid thread is still going on with pages of daily posts. Maybe the pandemic is still ongoing.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 8, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

distortion park posted:

i wonder what the most provocative map would be ITT

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The Good Country Index posted:

The Good Country Index tries to measure how much each country on earth contributes to the planet and to the human race, relative to its size (measured in GDP).

Im gonna guess that if i dig into this deeper its gonna get racist in a weird way or say something about how freedom of shareholders is more important than workers rights or something

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

europe is a subcontinent like india dont @ me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

europe is a subcontinent like india dont @ me

the existence of subcontinents implies the existence of domcontinents