Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ehud posted:

While this is vague, the stuff they mentioned doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. Yeah, the affixes are dumb right now, but mostly just because there are too many useless ones. Just remove the bad ones. Why is that taking so long? And crafting? I don't want to craft poo poo in my monster killing game.

If the new itemization system still involves extracting powers from legendaries to imprint powers onto rare bases, I can't imagine the itemization rework rekindling my interest.

I don't understand why this is so hard. I want to kill monsters and I want the monster to drop an item that makes me more powerful. I don't want to sort through a pile of nuts and bolts to try and cobble together a good item.

yeah the problem is far more how people interact with items than it is the specific affixes on the items. granted the actual affix system could be a lot better, too (and should be, and they should be continually improving it), but the real overarching problem is that interacting with items in d4 ranges from 'sucks' to 'it feels like a chore.' like it's good they're working on the whole system, but just giving some kind of basic filter so people are looking only at items that have a 1/50 chance of being upgrades would significantly improve how itemization feels compared to the currentthing where players pick up many, many dozens of inventories of complete trash because the odds of finding an upgrade in the late game are so infinitesimal

granted the problem is also the affixes, but overall the issue is wider than just the affixes and even if blizzard stumbled onto the mythical Good Affixes it wouldn't fix the issue.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Might be alright if they got rid of 2/3 of the bad affixes and also reduced quantity of loot by that amount.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

They can keep the affixes if they would let me pull affixes I want off of items so I could combine 4 affixes I like onto one item.

I wouldnt mind also getting rid of the bad affixes. But like... I'd play the game longer if I could get items I wanted so I could try to push my character against harder and harder challenges.

It would also help if there was something more than NMDs for late game challenges.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It isn't just the poo poo affixes (that should be done in the next patch not an overhaul) it's the entire style of itemization that needs to go. I do not think that they are going to do enough to be successful outside of an expansion that isn't just a one year churn out tbh

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
what do you even mean by 'entire style of itemization'

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So Gauntlet is just a fixed layout/modifier/enemy composition NM70 dungeon with a leaderboard based on clear time? I guess that's a reasonable counterpart to AoZ but sheesh

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
During Blizzcon, one of the devs said something about how they like some Tom Clancy MMO that let you bank individual affixes from items you pick up, but I can't remember which game they were talking about. I've also never played whatever game it was, but the concept of banking high roll affixes into a codex that you can reapply and build gear affix by affix sounds interesting.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

During Blizzcon, one of the devs said something about how they like some Tom Clancy MMO that let you bank individual affixes from items you pick up, but I can't remember which game they were talking about. I've also never played whatever game it was, but the concept of banking high roll affixes into a codex that you can reapply and build gear affix by affix sounds interesting.

The Division 2, it’s good

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
people have been suggesting that since the alpha

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

So Gauntlet is just a fixed layout/modifier/enemy composition NM70 dungeon with a leaderboard based on clear time? I guess that's a reasonable counterpart to AoZ but sheesh

I sure hope they delayed it so they could rethink the feature and not because they were having a hard time pulling it off

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Destiny 2 made this same switch a couple years ago. Guns in destiny can have almost literally infinite combinations of perks and traits, and the old system was 'do activities for a random roll, and hope it is a good one'. The new system is 'grind activities for the currencies to build out your gun with the exact perks and traits you want'

I don't have a strong opinion of whether RNG or Deterministic Grind is better but it sure changes the feel of the game when they make a swap!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy posted:

I was following a guide and it said to do the WT3 capstone around 65 if you can, so I'm 67 in WT4 now and pretty squishy.

Is it better to grit my teeth and try to power through for a few levels in WT4, maybe just leech off legion events and the world boss, or drop back to WT3?

Update in case this helps anyone else.

Hanging around like a bad smell near the braziers that summon the Herald of Malphas and lucking into a bunch of people that chain summon him seems to be the best "safe" XP/hour.
I got to 72 pretty quickly and can meaningfully complete whispers now.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE posted:

does this even exist for golem/necro skeletons talents? the ones that increases their damage?

I know it exists for Hellbent Commander(more minion damage when you're Close to minions), but I personally have only ever seen it roll on amulets, and extremely rarely at that.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I spent the last few years working on an online kids game that has yet to come out. As part of COPPA compliance I came up with the genius solution of making it so you had to be friends first to invite someone to your party. Safety first etc.

Having now experienced how that feels for real in D4 after a few duriel rotations, I have decided I am a terrible games designer and that was a lovely lovely idea.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The leaderboard isn't clear time, it's points. You have a fixed time (I think it's 8 minutes) to kill as much stuff as you can and each thing you kill awards points (presumably scaled to its HP)

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Can't wait for the boards to be topped by 69 thousand people with 9999999999999 points, 10 minutes after launch

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
8 minutes later, can you even read!!

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

No one is topping this board but the most geared out chinese blasters and the rob2628's.

Take the whole page out of D3 and give everyone the same character

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Hit Man posted:

No one is topping this board but the most geared out chinese blasters and the rob2628's.

Take the whole page out of D3 and give everyone the same character

hard dissagree. It's more fun to being able to benchmark your own dudes and make upgrades / build adjustments to get a better scores.

Will this cause a lot of theorycrafting about what abilities are better every week? probably. Also, as you said, you'll never make top 100.
Maybe allll top characters will seem like copies of eachother. But having it be a character preset sounds incredibly boring and dull.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
it's just a different vibe. having it be down to your ability to execute and your knowledge of the game rather than hours spent grinding is appealing to me. like a counterstrike rather than a BR where you just lock into better early guns before the other guy (like S0 Apex for instance)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

~Coxy posted:

Update in case this helps anyone else.

Hanging around like a bad smell near the braziers that summon the Herald of Malphas and lucking into a bunch of people that chain summon him seems to be the best "safe" XP/hour.
I got to 72 pretty quickly and can meaningfully complete whispers now.
What class/build are you playing? I am running a Bone Spear Necro and was able to get into WT3 at 43 then WT4 at 63; in both cases, I could jump straight into playing pretty much normally (except for the occasional oneshot from elites).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Twisting Blades rogue.

I could kill stuff in WT4 but packs would annihilate me so I had to spend a lot of time kiting.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

People saying you can grind out the event stuff in an hour, is that with a level 100 character or can you do it with a fresh character? And does it have to be on seasonal? I haven't touched the season so far yet.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
doesn't have to be seasonal. i don't think you need to be 100 to do it quick. the important part is that you let the shrine get the killing blow, so being lore level, where even the thorns effect on the protection shrine one shots mobs, might be advantageous. on the other hand you can get shrines in monster denser NMD so you might be able to make up for it that way. either way, under 2 hours i'd imagine even starting 100% fresh. it's just super fast. if you're looking to put in even less time, log in, do the 2-3 event shrines that are up as whispers, and then log out for 1+ hours. you can find those immediately in the overworld and now that they patched it, multiple people running around then only helps with gaining rep quicker

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bobby Deluxe posted:

People saying you can grind out the event stuff in an hour, is that with a level 100 character or can you do it with a fresh character? And does it have to be on seasonal? I haven't touched the season so far yet.

I was level 70 when I did it and it went that fast. I did a few of the whisper ones and focused on nightmare dungeons with the event affix, which seems to drop pretty often

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

yesterday I got Battle.net to work with Diablo again, some 25 years since I last played it

It felt loving amazing, I barely managed to remove myself from the desk at 4am to scrounge 3hrs of sleep before work. Totally worth it. I opened a game and people joined and we had a jolly time in the best loving game ever made. If anyone is interested in how to fix the widescreen issues and how to make gaem work on battlenet, check this video its fairly comprehensive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSqQFOR3Sis

Microsoft is the best

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's crazy. I would just use DevilutionX but I guess you'd miss out on the joy of connecting Diablo 1 to Battle.Net in 2024

Coincidentally I just got my Windows 98 machine going again and connected it to the internet

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

That's crazy. I would just use DevilutionX but I guess you'd miss out on the joy of connecting Diablo 1 to Battle.Net in 2024

Coincidentally I just got my Windows 98 machine going again and connected it to the internet

We were walking around completely bewildered, killing things.
My last playthrough before this was on Hellfire during Covid when I managed to get IPX multiplayer to work and played with friends, something I always wanted to do. It was cool, but very buggy and crashy,

You could use DevilutionX but you don't need to! They have a thing now which fixes the resolution on your wide screen, AND it fixes all tabbing issues too (game would sometimes crash when you alt+tabbed, and you would lose all the stuff you dropped in town if playing a multiplayer character). Check the github link in the description of the video I posted above.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Diablo 4 is 40% off on steam if you are interested.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
No one asked, but here's my hot take on Season 3, as a filthy casual: it's fine. It's not good, but it's fine. The trap dungeons make you slow down, which is the exact opposite of what I am interested in doing, but I prefer the layout and objectives of the vaults to normal NMDs. I don't have to go hunt down Animus carriers, I don't need to go find McGuffins in a hallway somewhere - I just need to follow the linear path to it, and then keep moving forward to get back to the door.

The pet seems to be a huge non-factor, with the slight downside of aggro'ing things that normally wouldn't notice me as I'm trying to town portal. Definitely not as cool as the season 2 bloodtides or even as interesting as the season 1 powers. But for someone who hops into every D3 and D4 season at least long enough to finish the journeys, it scratches the itch just the same.

Bonus opinion: the event is similarly fine. Not awful. Nothing groundbreaking. Extremely dumb to have cosmetic skins be items that require specific classes to use. But largely inoffensive, and it's actually made me stop ignoring shrines.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

harrygomm posted:

it's just a different vibe. having it be down to your ability to execute and your knowledge of the game rather than hours spent grinding is appealing to me. like a counterstrike rather than a BR where you just lock into better early guns before the other guy (like S0 Apex for instance)

I understand the sentiment, but I'd like my grinding games being about grinding, and not some arcade machine experience

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
noted unpopular gaming experience, s0 apex

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think s0 apex can be "good" while simultaneously it would be "bad" to make diablo 4 similar to s0 apex

But I personally do not like battles royale so there is a definite bias there

Current concern with Gauntlet is that it's just gonna end up like Diablo 3's Challenge Rifts which are worth doing exactly once per season and are otherwise most unpleasant

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Vaults nail the lootsplosion at the end. Some vaults are better than others but they're good fun. Not good to bring glyph xp but nothing is so whatever.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I really dislike the traps and feeling like I need to dodge them even if I load up 30 points of whatever mana points you do at the shrine at the beginning of the Vault, so I havent been doing them. Just going to start on high tier NMDs once I get this Bone Spear build fully online (once i get some good ancestrals that I can put my scant few Bone-Spear specific Aspects on :argh: ).

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 8, 2024

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
are vaults without the traps literally just those pay to win dungeons from super unpopular game diablo immortal? genuinely asking because I haven't seen a vault but the way it has been described matches the diablo immortal poo poo

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Do you keep the construct pet and all the rune things you unlocked if you make a new character?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

harrygomm posted:

So a Challenge Rift from D3.
Can't wait to be randomly handed some dogshit character from a guy who straight up hacked his way into top 100(we all know it's going to inevitably happen), and be forced to suffer for however long the duration is.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Lysandus posted:

Do you keep the construct pet and all the rune things you unlocked if you make a new character?

Pet and runes are character locked, so a new character means you start completely fresh on runes and rune levels.
It's loving stupid and not even worth it to roll an alt, and that's damning coming from the guy known in my circles for making endless alts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Vaults are extremely good since the enemy density is high, you CAN skip to the end if you just want speed clears, they give the same Glyph XP as NMDs, they are faster and less backtracky than NMDs, and also they literally give more loot

The traps are entirely irrelevant since Pearls don't have any use other than putting into the 'Make it so traps dont matter' machine

Vault of the Loom is good in that it gives a crazy amount of loot and seneschal upgrades, but it doesn't give glyph XP and it's truly miserable for farming uber malphas at a 3.5% drop rate on the unique stones

Lysandus posted:

Gotta do the seasonal quest on each character. You share the Materials tab though, so once you finish that, you can just buy a hundred stone caches from the jeweler and upgrade/unlock your poo poo. It's exactly like last season's vampire blood stuff