Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cr0y posted:

So serious talk,

I honestly can't remember what was going on with the border while Trump was in office. I know crossings were down but did that have anything to do with what him and the Republicans were actually doing in the executive and i Congress or was that just due to the fact that they were down because of global affairs?

tldr: I know t0rmp didn't secure the border but I'd like a solid set of facts to back that up

They were separating families at the border and lost a bunch of kids they ripped from their parents

There was a new caravan every time Trump had to distract from something.

Also there was that group that scammed a bunch of money to build their own wall and then never did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
He built some really crappy sections of wall, sent the military to the border several times, and enacted the family separations which resulted in children being placed under the care of HHS while their parents were deported or imprisoned.

Crossings have done nothing but trend upward since 2014 IIRC, with the exception of 2020 during covid, after which it shot way up again.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
caravan season always started like two months before november elections

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

UltraShame posted:

He built some really crappy sections of wall, sent the military to the border several times, and enacted the family separations which resulted in children being placed under the care of HHS while their parents were deported or imprisoned.

Crossings have done nothing but trend upward since 2014 IIRC, with the exception of 2020 during covid, after which it shot way up again.

I'm seriously curious and not just being combative, what was the mechanism that drove crossings down during COVID? I can't imagine if you're fleeing your home country you give a poo poo about lockdown mandates.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I would guess there was a lot of incidental infrastructure that was shut down, reduced or restricted that would make it more difficult to get places in general.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Is that the name of the segment, or the host?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i will not be shocked when the day comes when a republican congressperson shoots another republican on the floor during a stupid argument

lmao

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
^^^ It will be speaker of the House Santos blasting away all those who dared oppose him

cr0y posted:

I'm seriously curious and not just being combative, what was the mechanism that drove crossings down during COVID? I can't imagine if you're fleeing your home country you give a poo poo about lockdown mandates.

I would also assume that humping across multiple countries in a group while a potentially lethal communicable disease raged seemed like a bad idea.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Philthy posted:

i will not be shocked when the day comes when a republican congressperson shoots another republican on the floor during a stupid argument

I doubt it will actually be on the floor, but in the hallways definitely.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I mean immigration was handled largely the same as it has been for as long as I can remember (last 15 years or so), just with more glee and blatant racism under Trump instead of the "gosh golly gee we know this isn't ideal but what the heck can we do 🤷‍♂️" flavor of putting kids in cages

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Oh no!

Anyways…

Seriously though, did she last longer in 2020? :lol:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

cr0y posted:

I'm pretty sure Trump had emergency powers because of the pandemic which did allow him to "close the border", or at the very least get as close to closed as it can be. Its just those powers were temporary and eventually it went back to how it was.

I'm also quite sure that those emergency powers can't just be used all the time and might even require Congressional support/approval so that isn't a viable long term solution.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

aas Bandit posted:

Jesus Christ, I thought that was real for a bit until I noticed the poster.
It says something about how insane this poo poo is. :)

Gee whiz what an interesting way of thinking.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

nine-gear crow posted:

I doubt it will actually be on the floor, but in the hallways definitely.

Nah it'll be an accidental discharge, while performatively waving the gun in front of cameras. Then they will claim it was a gun malfunction, not their fault, while simultaneously parroting, "guns don't kill people."

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

They were separating families at the border and lost a bunch of kids they ripped from their parents

There was a new caravan every time Trump had to distract from something.

Also there was that group that scammed a bunch of money to build their own wall and then never did

in my vagina? It’s more likely than you think.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Droogie posted:

I was in a bad headspace today and hearing Mojo died was an unwelcome jolt. :(
gently caress.
:rip:

Same. Sucks. One less legend in the world.

Zesty posted:

Gee whiz what an interesting way of thinking.

I get the sarcasm; no idea what your problem is though? Say more?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the lol keep on coming

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I got bored of watching streaming stuff, so I switched to this “Samsung tv” poo poo it came with.

It’s mostly garbage, but right now I’m watching an 80s music video channel, and it’s quite entertaining.

Just now this John Cougar video from like 1982 played, and I could not help but to marvel at how every single person in this video today is almost certainly one, and likely several of:

1) full-on chud

2) chud-adjacent

3) school board member

4) member of state government

https://youtu.be/4dOsbsuhYGQ?si=Bk4jbDsaz37IVCyl

e: of course many more are

5) dead

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Should we be doing more schemes? It seems really easy to get money by doing obvious schemes on right wingers. Think of how much money we could bring in to finally elevate this dead gay forum to Olympian heights.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Lt. Cock posted:

Should we be doing more schemes? It seems really easy to get money by doing obvious schemes on right wingers. Think of how much money we could bring in to finally elevate this dead gay forum to Olympian heights.

I'll start the wiki

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

lmao

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

aas Bandit posted:

I get the sarcasm; no idea what your problem is though? Say more?

theyre referring to this op

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Biden's team should run an ad about how he's been TOTALLY EXONERATED!

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Junk posted:

theyre referring to this op

Thank you. Sorry, my bad--I've seen that multiple times before. It's been a long day.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TK8325 posted:

wasnt he in the fight milk episode of sunny in philadelphia?

Yeah. Him and Rob McElhaney are apparently pretty tight.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I can't believe I feel that there is an actual chance that Democrats keep the Senate.

Republicans are just that dysfunctional right now

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This loving idiot has Brain Damage

Like seriously, this guy is the most ineffective dumbfuck shithead GOP spin doctor I have ever god drat seen. Not a single thing this chucklefuck has shrieked about has landed, at all.

What God forsaken hellhole of Satan's asscrack district did this dumbfuck spawn from?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 8, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

Like seriously, this guy is the most ineffective dumbfuck shithead GOP spin doctor I have ever god drat seen. Not a single thing this chucklefuck has shrieked about has landed, at all.

What God forsaken hellhole of Satan's asscrack district did this dumbfuck spawn from?

Collusion, china, Biden, Soros, obstruction! What else do you need to hear?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, the fact that borderline-illiterate chud politicians are now hell-bent on learning what Kerry was up to from 2013-2017, will never not be funny

SuperMarrio
Mar 26, 2005

Those who live by capitalism must be prepared to die by it.

Lt. Cock posted:

Honestly, this is something I've been wrestling with for a really, really long time. It seems like it'd be a pretty easy thing to do
Morally dubious perhaps, but easy

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

MrMojok posted:

Yeah, the fact that borderline-illiterate chud politicians are now hell-bent on learning what Kerry was up to from 2013-2017, will never not be funny

Sadly, the best illiterate GOP politician of them all was assassinated by the coward Ken Paxton

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

i like presidents who don't get charged with crimes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

rideANDxORdie posted:

I mean immigration was handled largely the same as it has been for as long as I can remember (last 15 years or so), just with more glee and blatant racism under Trump instead of the "gosh golly gee we know this isn't ideal but what the heck can we do 🤷‍♂️" flavor of putting kids in cages

no, the administration is (as far as I can tell) not putting kids in cages

I've done some deep-ish dives on ORR's stats in dnd (sorry cant be assed to root through my post history) and what i can find of conditions but the really quick upshot is that once the emergency shelter backlog was handled the office of refugee resettlement has been handling unaccompanied minors in an... okay fashion and time frame

the feds have an actual responsibility to ensure they're placed, well, responsibly. I don't think you want what happens otherwise and 20-30 processing days is 6-16 too many but it is, again, okay

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

poo poo, I was really counting on my staffer salary

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TulliusCicero posted:

He’s doing the best he can please don’t be so negative and insulting.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

no, the administration is (as far as I can tell) not putting kids in cages

I've done some deep-ish dives on ORR's stats in dnd (sorry cant be assed to root through my post history) and what i can find of conditions but the really quick upshot is that once the emergency shelter backlog was handled the office of refugee resettlement has been handling unaccompanied minors in an... okay fashion and time frame

the feds have an actual responsibility to ensure they're placed, well, responsibly. I don't think you want what happens otherwise and 20-30 processing days is 6-16 too many but it is, again, okay

who is "the administration" here in this case: the trump administration or biden administration?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Google Jeb Bush posted:

poo poo, I was really counting on my staffer salary

What is the pyramid crystal to USD exchange rate, anyway?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

MrMojok posted:

I got bored of watching streaming stuff, so I switched to this “Samsung tv” poo poo it came with.

It’s mostly garbage, but right now I’m watching an 80s music video channel, and it’s quite entertaining.

Just now this John Cougar video from like 1982 played, and I could not help but to marvel at how every single person in this video today is almost certainly one, and likely several of:

1) full-on chud

2) chud-adjacent

3) school board member

4) member of state government

https://youtu.be/4dOsbsuhYGQ?si=Bk4jbDsaz37IVCyl

e: of course many more are

5) dead

This is the only 80s music video I need

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcFSheSaht0

Billy Squier blames this video for destroying his career lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

SuperMarrio posted:

Honestly, this is something I've been wrestling with for a really, really long time. It seems like it'd be a pretty easy thing to do
Morally dubious perhaps, but easy

I have thought the same I know it would take very little effort to separate these rubes from their money, and some of them probably deserve it but I just can't bring myself to be that kind of person just bullshitting people to take their money.

It's why I never became a priest