Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm planning on calling the vet when they open to ask, but Cat is eating her special C/D dry food but doesn't want to eat the wet food. Will it still work with dry only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

VelociBacon posted:

I'm a (human) respiratory therapist, do they not give... bronchodilators for cats? Steroids aren't where you want to start but if someone (or a cat?) is requiring frequent use of a rescue inhaler (ventolin, salbutamol, etc depending where you live) you would start steroids at that point. Steroids in the absence of a bronchodilator will not have any immediate effect.

If it's anything like humans I would expect that your cat didn't just start to have asthma at age 8. How is his heart doing? Wheezing is often caused by things other than asthma, such as having too much fluid or pressure in the blood vessels in the lungs. This can happen from degrees of heart failure or from renal issues. I would just make sure they're actually investigating this and not just doing the human GP thing of "oh a wheeze? Must be asthma". If you recently moved or something and the cat is exposed to something different now than they were the first 8 years I would think more along the lines of asthma.

My options last time I took him in were liquid steroids or an inhaler, and I thought there was no way I could hold an inhaler over this cat's face (I mean, if it comes to it I'll figure it out, but... yeah.) I was also under the uneducated impression that a bronchodilator was just an inhaled type of steroid until your post. Maybe he can adjust to an inhaler if he can stand it long enough to realize it makes him feel better.

I hadn't considered it could be something else. He has all the typical cat signs of asthma (sitting low to the ground, sticking his neck out, and making those awful crunchy coughs.) But I will ask them. We did move a couple of years ago, though it was practically down the street, so I wouldn't think there are any new irritants unless it's something about the building. Thanks.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
They make nebulizers that work for cats, so you don't have to hold it right on their face!

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

When I worked at a cat shelter our nebulizer involved shutting the cat in a clear storage tote and blasting them with the mist. It's much easier than an inhaler but they do start getting wise after a while, so if you can get them in a carrier you can nebulize them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How does the cat even tell how to get in? That entrance looks like it's always covered by the insulation.

The insulation is cut 8-ways at the hole to serve as an entrance while still being able to both insulate against the cold and serve as a way to mostly hide the cat inside. It has a circular cut at the tips as a peephole of sorts.

Maybe I should remove it outright…?

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

This is also my concern: it doesn't look like something a cat would know to seek shelter in. All the manufactured and DIY shelters I've seen make the opening very obvious so that a cat would at least consider popping their head in to see what's going on before committing to actually going inside.

That’s a good point. I actually don’t know how to communicate to the cats that it’s a shelter…how would I fix that? Remove the insulating blanket flaps? Put down some stinky food, maybe?

quote:

Yeah, get a camera. Don't put it inside, just have it aimed where the shelter is so you can observe how outdoor cats interact with your shelter so you can adjust as necessary. Get an idea as to which way the wind tends to blow so that the opening doesn't just get a bunch of wind blowing in to it, negating the purpose.

Gotcha, I’ll get a camera and keep the wind in mind. Right now though I have it under my backdoor outside deck/staircase:

As a way to protect it from wind and weather. I chose that spot because it’s covered and relatively hidden, though I also worry about how close it is to the cars. Should I move it elsewhere?

quote:

Personally, I'd make that opening lower, larger, and unobstructed, and either line with tape or otherwise smooth out the edges of the opening so that it doesn't scratch anybody going in and out.

I made the opening higher off the ground to avoid getting rodents and other small life to use it instead of the cats (or raccoons I guess :///), and to avoid it getting flooded with rain or blocked by snow. It’s also pretty large already with like a 6” diameter…do you know of any example shelters I can compare against?

Agreed on the entrance edges, I chamfered them to make them smooth but maybe another pass with sandpaper or tape is in order.

VelociBacon posted:

You also don't want them to asphyxiate in there, it's not super clear if any significant amount of air can pass in or out of that front opening. It doesn't have to be a big gap but I think some gap is ideal.

poo poo, you’re right. I only made a single entrance so that the cat only has to worry about the one while keeping an eye out, but maybe it’s better to have another? Air holes for sure :sweatdrop:

Also, I’m wondering if the insulating panels are overkill. Maybe I should just stuff it with as much straw as I can make a reasonable comfy spot out of. What do you all think?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

The insulation is cut 8-ways at the hole to serve as an entrance while still being able to both insulate against the cold and serve as a way to mostly hide the cat inside. It has a circular cut at the tips as a peephole of sorts.

Yeah, every example I see online just has an open hole.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I don't think a cat is going to asphyxiate in that box short of a gas leak pouring into the entrance or something. 1 entrance is usually fine, but if you're really concerned about CO2 just remember it's heavier than air, so provide a channel for it low in the box/below the cat's head when it sleeps, but yeah open entrances are fine. My friends just built a box like yours for a stray that's been hanging out in their backyard during the rains -sans the insulation flap. Though this is also CA with lows in the 40s at worst.
Though looking at it on their critter cam, their poor strat is also likely pregnant, which adds extra wrinkles.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Wile E. Toyota posted:

My options last time I took him in were liquid steroids or an inhaler, and I thought there was no way I could hold an inhaler over this cat's face (I mean, if it comes to it I'll figure it out, but... yeah.) I was also under the uneducated impression that a bronchodilator was just an inhaled type of steroid until your post. Maybe he can adjust to an inhaler if he can stand it long enough to realize it makes him feel better.

I hadn't considered it could be something else. He has all the typical cat signs of asthma (sitting low to the ground, sticking his neck out, and making those awful crunchy coughs.) But I will ask them. We did move a couple of years ago, though it was practically down the street, so I wouldn't think there are any new irritants unless it's something about the building. Thanks.

both of my cats have asthma and they both tolerate the nebulizer. i use the aerokat.

one cat, i clicker trained him slowly that the tube im holding up to their face is a good thing. like, rubbed a treat on the mouth piece and when he inspected it, rewarded him. then graduated to putting the mouth piece over they face for a second, etc.

the other cat took to it quickly without clicker training because he was having a hard time breathing so the albuterol made him feel better instantly.

now when i give them their fluticasone, i count every breath out loud and scratch the top of their heads. i say, “GOOD JOB BUDDY” every time after the 10th breath so they know that it’s done and of course give them a treat.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Pollyanna posted:

That’s a good point. I actually don’t know how to communicate to the cats that it’s a shelter…how would I fix that? Remove the insulating blanket flaps? Put down some stinky food, maybe?

Gotcha, I’ll get a camera and keep the wind in mind. Right now though I have it under my backdoor outside deck/staircase:

As a way to protect it from wind and weather. I chose that spot because it’s covered and relatively hidden, though I also worry about how close it is to the cars. Should I move it elsewhere?

I made the opening higher off the ground to avoid getting rodents and other small life to use it instead of the cats (or raccoons I guess :///), and to avoid it getting flooded with rain or blocked by snow. It’s also pretty large already with like a 6” diameter…do you know of any example shelters I can compare against?

Agreed on the entrance edges, I chamfered them to make them smooth but maybe another pass with sandpaper or tape is in order.

poo poo, you’re right. I only made a single entrance so that the cat only has to worry about the one while keeping an eye out, but maybe it’s better to have another? Air holes for sure :sweatdrop:

Also, I’m wondering if the insulating panels are overkill. Maybe I should just stuff it with as much straw as I can make a reasonable comfy spot out of. What do you all think?

If this was in my area it would 100% get a raccoon in it and not a cat.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thank you all. For now I have gone with a hooded litterbox inside this rattan enclosure for about $70 (kind of pricey but it's the only one I liked. brand name honiokaka):

It's pretty neat, and there's space on top to hold accessories. It keeps the litter from getting out due to kicking, and it has a little bit of "runway" from where the box is at the back to the front door, which helps get the wood pellet litter off his paws.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, for whoever was asking about litter robots, my LR4:

• Currently thinks its empty litter storage is 70% full.
  • Needs bags, while my old clumping litter I could just flush.
  • That means more plastic waste, or sustainable made-from-plants ones that horrifyingly the cat waste seems to osmosis its way through.
  • Needs an internet connection to use the pet scale.
  • The scale doesn't work properly. It keeps thinking one of my cats is 1.5kg. I have created a new cat profile named "Nobody" and told it that Nobody weighs 1.5kg, so that maybe it'll start recognising my ~4.5kg cat.
  • The weights are a few hundred grams off what the ones at the vet say.
  • Twice, the "whoops there's a cat in here, better stop the clean cycle" sensors have got confused by the lumps of waste tumbling around during the clean cycle, pausing the cycle for a few moments.
  • Doesn't really trap the stink all that well. Tried baking soda infused litter, and it smells worse and stronger than the ordinary stuff.
In conclusion: it's a stupid piece of crap and I'm sorry I bought it :(

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Hyperlynx posted:

Needs bags, while my old clumping litter I could just flush.

If its any consolation, flushing cat poo has been known to cause toxo infections in sea life, so there are some side benefits to bagging it.

We have 4 LR, but not the internet-connected models. One of the 4 gets stuck once a day, no idea why. I just manually cycle it each morning at this point, which is still easier than scooping it 1+ times a day.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

Currently thinks its empty litter storage is 70% full.

I'm sure you've probably already done this but just in case, have you done a hard reset? And if so, have you pulled it apart and cleaned the sensors off?

I used to have that problem all the time and it fixed it for me. Though, I have the previous one where the only network thing it does is let me know when it's full, so maybe there's just less stuff to fail

If there's a sensor problem I think they're super easy to replace and I've heard they'll send you one at least?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FYI, if your Litter Robot has stopping or sensor issues, it may be faulty. I was having constant jamming issues with my LR3, and they replaced the entire base under warranty. That fixed it entirely, and it even stopped having the "thinks the tray is full when it's not" issue.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ded posted:

If this was in my area it would 100% get a raccoon in it and not a cat.

SIIIGHHHH yeah probably. Well, at least some life is benefitting from it.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

You know what never has sensor issues? A tupperware box.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cat Wings posted:

And a nose.

"oh hey something stinks, guess I should clean the cat box"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Go with whatever you prefer, but for me and a lot of other people, litter robots work well. Instead of scooping through the litter every day, I just have to change the bag every other day. We're not making it up or denying the issues that we or others have had.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Go with whatever you prefer, but for me and a lot of other people, litter robots work well. Instead of scooping through the litter every day, I just have to change the bag every other day. We're not making it up or denying the issues that we or others have had.

Yep works fine. It's not perfect but neither is a traditional litter box and for me it's way less work. At the end of the day you have an obligate carnivore making GBS threads and pissing in your home.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

VelociBacon posted:

At the end of the day you have an obligate carnivore making GBS threads and pissing in your home.

It is ridiculous!

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, for whoever was asking about litter robots, my LR4:

• Currently thinks its empty litter storage is 70% full.
  • Needs bags, while my old clumping litter I could just flush.
  • That means more plastic waste, or sustainable made-from-plants ones that horrifyingly the cat waste seems to osmosis its way through.
  • Needs an internet connection to use the pet scale.
  • The scale doesn't work properly. It keeps thinking one of my cats is 1.5kg. I have created a new cat profile named "Nobody" and told it that Nobody weighs 1.5kg, so that maybe it'll start recognising my ~4.5kg cat.
  • The weights are a few hundred grams off what the ones at the vet say.
  • Twice, the "whoops there's a cat in here, better stop the clean cycle" sensors have got confused by the lumps of waste tumbling around during the clean cycle, pausing the cycle for a few moments.
  • Doesn't really trap the stink all that well. Tried baking soda infused litter, and it smells worse and stronger than the ordinary stuff.

Did you get clear bags for the little robot bin? The older LR models for sure have problem with dark bags, they think its full. I switched to clear and haven't had other issues.

I also don't have the internet connected one.

If something is hitting the pinch sensor (I assume its still there are on the 4) that would for sure trigger a stoppage. A turd might have rolled and wacked it. Sometimes it gets dirty/cruddy and needs a clearout. But that shouldn't be the case on a brand new one.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm lazy and cheap and I just use generic tall kitchen trash bags (opaque white ones, if that makes a difference) instead of buying the official bags. Very occasionally I'll get an error where it thinks it's full. Actually, come to think of it, I think that's another problem that was fixed by the warranty replacement. Hasn't happened in a long time.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

mawarannahr posted:

Thank you all. For now I have gone with a hooded litterbox inside this rattan enclosure for about $70 (kind of pricey but it's the only one I liked. brand name honiokaka):

It's pretty neat, and there's space on top to hold accessories. It keeps the litter from getting out due to kicking, and it has a little bit of "runway" from where the box is at the back to the front door, which helps get the wood pellet litter off his paws.

I love the way that looks but my cats absolutely destroy anything rattan, it's one of their favorite things to claw, so I can't have it.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

Do you have a link for this? My enclosure is really old at this point, we could use a new one and I like how it doesn’t seem to have a bottom.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Cat Wings posted:

Exactly!

The only reason I got this thing is because a guest complained about the smell of cat box (my place is pretty small). I couldn't smell anything amiss, and figured I'd just become habituated to it. I got this thing because it said it was particularly good at trapping the stink.

E: and maybe it is, and maybe if I could find waste bags I'm happy with I wouldn't be so unhappy with it. But I really don't want to constantly be chucking plastic every few days, and the sustainable ones I've been trying are awful.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 8, 2024

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm lazy and cheap and I just use generic tall kitchen trash bags (opaque white ones, if that makes a difference) instead of buying the official bags. Very occasionally I'll get an error where it thinks it's full. Actually, come to think of it, I think that's another problem that was fixed by the warranty replacement. Hasn't happened in a long time.

Same, we just use clear "regular"/"tall" 74L garbage bags in the bin. I'm not paying that markup, doubly so as I'm in Canada.

Hyperlynx posted:

Exactly!

The only reason I got this thing is because a guest complained about the smell of cat box (my place is pretty small). I couldn't smell anything amiss, and figured I'd just become habituated to it. I got this thing because it said it was particularly good at trapping the stink.

E: and maybe it is, and maybe if I could find waste bags I'm happy with I wouldn't be so unhappy with it. But I really don't want to constantly be chucking plastic every few days, and the sustainable ones I've been trying are awful.

If someone isn't used to cat smells, a house full of "used" cat litter is going to stink. I wonder if your litter had gotten extra stinky? I know I absolutely need to do full refreshes of the open boxes every month or two or the litter just continues to stink regardless of what's in it. I generally find that the smell of the litter in the litter robot is a lot better than the litter in the open cat boxes. Maybe its because it gets rotated and doesn't sit and mix forever?

If a cat takes a poop, its still an open room, and it will take time for that smell to go away. It won't be nearly as bad contained within the bin, as it would be sitting out for everyone to admire it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

mawarannahr posted:

This looks really nice, I like it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The only time my litter robot smells bad is when someone has just taken a dump and didn't bury it (which is a constant issue in my house...) or if it's full. I do have it in a closet, but that's where my litterboxes always went before we had one, and they always smelled worse.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Toss a little freshwave bag in the bottom, to the side of where the tray goes.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The only time my litter robot smells bad is when someone has just taken a dump and didn't bury it (which is a constant issue in my house...) or if it's full. I do have it in a closet, but that's where my litterboxes always went before we had one, and they always smelled worse.

This happens with one of our cats too. He's been using the litter robot since he was an older kitten, so I think he just got lazy

Though thankfully it's not all the time!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Do you have a link for this? My enclosure is really old at this point, we could use a new one and I like how it doesn’t seem to have a bottom.
It is from: https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-Washroom-Furniture-Handwoven-Bedroom/dp/B0BGRFGG29
Which I found from this article: https://www.thesprucepets.com/best-litter-box-furniture-5181405#toc-best-rattan-honiakaka-cat-litter-box-enclosure-with-soft-litter-mat

e: it does have a bottom. In fact, it's slightly raised and there is a soft hexagonal grille, which is washable. It comes with a rubber mat that goes underneath to catch the litter from the grille. I assume this is so the interior doesn't get too gross.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 9, 2024

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

any tips on teething?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

I love the way that looks but my cats absolutely destroy anything rattan, it's one of their favorite things to claw, so I can't have it.

Sounds like you should have it 😼

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Can anyone suggest a water fountain that is actually quiet? Is this possible? We have this one which varies between almost silent and constant dripping noises which drives me mad.

PETKIT Automatic Pet Water... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7J4PBQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I got used to the noise of our fountain(this one) but it was driving my husband insane at night, so we got a timer plug to turn it off at night and back on in the morning.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

smackfu posted:

Can anyone suggest a water fountain that is actually quiet? Is this possible? We have this one which varies between almost silent and constant dripping noises which drives me mad.

PETKIT Automatic Pet Water... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H7J4PBQ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I have this exact one and it is completely silent for me, no dripping at all.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

smackfu posted:

The Miaustore ceramic one is silent unless it gets clogged and needs a clean. You can also get a motion sensor attachment so it doesn't run constantly.

https://miaustore.com/

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

eating only apples posted:

The Miaustore ceramic one is silent unless it gets clogged and needs a clean. You can also get a motion sensor attachment so it doesn't run constantly.

https://miaustore.com/
This one owns but you need to align the pump just right inside the tower piece and then it is indeed silent. Every time I put it back together after cleaning it’s real loud at first and it takes some fiddling to make it stop.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I have this exact one and it is completely silent for me, no dripping at all.

Weird. Sometimes mine is quiet and sometimes it just makes a constant burbling sound. Maybe just very sensitive to how level it is?

The other interesting thing about that unit is that they cheapened it without changing the model. So it looks the same on the outside but the innards are much simpler and don’t have the low water sensors anymore. Now it’s just an aquarium pump stuck to the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

It is from: https://www.amazon.com/Enclosure-Washroom-Furniture-Handwoven-Bedroom/dp/B0BGRFGG29
Which I found from this article: https://www.thesprucepets.com/best-litter-box-furniture-5181405#toc-best-rattan-honiakaka-cat-litter-box-enclosure-with-soft-litter-mat

e: it does have a bottom. In fact, it's slightly raised and there is a soft hexagonal grille, which is washable. It comes with a rubber mat that goes underneath to catch the litter from the grille. I assume this is so the interior doesn't get too gross.

I thought I posted this but I guess I didn’t but wanted to say thanks for the link, I ordered it and it’s currently airing out in the back room so it doesn’t smell like a plastic factory when I switch it out.

The bottom being like that is great, I can take it outside and hose it off, my current one is made of wood so it’s a pain to clean when she’s off target, and the opening makes it impossible to use a high-wall litter box. Though I’m not sure if she’s going to like stepping on the bottom piece, she is very very particular about what surfaces she will put her lil paws on.