Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023
Consider Boneworks? It's not fantasy, but you can fight with a sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2431700/Vampire_The_Masquerade__Justice/

This launched yesterday.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
One specific PCVR game (Phasmophobia) has been running like garbage for me over the past few weeks. I spent hours tweaking all kinds of different settings. What finally got it to run smoothly was to set my SteamVR overlay quality to low. Really weird, because the overlay has been quick and snappy while playing other PCVR games. Throwing that out there in case anyone is running into similar issues.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

AccountSupervisor posted:

Oh poo poo I didnt realize Legendary Tales was hitting 1.0 on Friday 2/8.

Dungeons of Eternity is my favorite curent VR game so Im super stoked for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33okJlOzjoA

I thought this looked interesting so i went to see if there was a PC version, and there is! but hahahaha how much?? Get hosed.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Stanko-Prussian posted:

I thought this looked interesting so i went to see if there was a PC version, and there is! but hahahaha how much?? Get hosed.

Yeah.. the price of the game got jacked up by quite a bit when the PSVR version got announced for their full release. The patch note from the dev on steam paints an interesting picture of development too. Upgraded to UE5, performance sucked, then the PSVR deal came in so they had to downgrade the engine back to UE4 to make it more playable on the platform. Also they say this is probably the last VR game they make because it drained all of their resources.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Supergreatfriend did a playthrough of the Quest version, if anyone wants to see some gameplay when considering whether to buy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x8bfKGuNWE

Seems decent enough, some of the mechanics like climbing up pipes on walls for stealth purposes and some of the powers are cool. The main character is predictably overwrought and serious in a VtM kind of way. SGF seemed to enjoy it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

When using the Valve Index and wandering around the room, how do I avoid tripping on the cable? I also have the problem of tripping on my cat but I’m not sure I can get any help on that one.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

Consider Boneworks? It's not fantasy, but you can fight with a sword

i thought bonelab was pretty weak, talk me into why boneworks is better, because i havent played it yet

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

When using the Valve Index and wandering around the room, how do I avoid tripping on the cable? I also have the problem of tripping on my cat but I’m not sure I can get any help on that one.

Quest 3 will tell you when your cat enters your play area, and will even go into pass through just in time to see her meow.

*AN OBJECT HAS ENTERED YOUR PLAY AREA*

*Muffled meow*

That drat cable was the main reason I switched to a quest 2 a while back. Just could not stop stepping on it and tugging at my headset. Some people have absolutely no issue with it though.

Turn Signal was helpful to keep it from twisting up super bad, but nothing really helped me from stepping on it, and no real way for me to have an overhead cable.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Bondematt posted:

Quest 3 will tell you when your cat enters your play area, and will even go into pass through just in time to see her meow.

*AN OBJECT HAS ENTERED YOUR PLAY AREA*

*Muffled meow*

do i have to enable this or is my cat stealth because usually im alerted to her presence when she jumps up with her claws and uses my leg to stretch

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Al! posted:

do i have to enable this or is my cat stealth because usually im alerted to her presence when she jumps up with her claws and uses my leg to stretch

It's been automatic for me since the Quest 2. As long as I have a boundary set, it seems to work. If I turn off Guardian under Dev options for seated gaming, I no longer get a heads up.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

pcvr seems so niche that if you want games with serious effort directed towards them then you'd probably have to accept hardcore wargame prices on the games. Otherwise its gonna stay low effort prototypes and quest ports. If the psvr2 took off then you'd get higher quality ports at least, but it seems like it isn't doing so well (surprised Sony stuck with wired on it). Though even with the immense sales of psvr1 devices I remember scuttlebutt from devs that they weren't selling that many games on it. Not sure if that's just discoverability on PS store vs Quest Store or psvr ended up forgotten in a box faster.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

as far as pcvr goes i dont really need a bunch of alyxes, i'd just like to see vr controller support in games like pacific drive that seem like they are vr games with the vr pulled out (pacific drive is a weird one because the dev is a former oculus dev, and it seems like itd be a perfect game for psvr2 since its a drat sony exclusive but the devs said they have no plans for vr)

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Al! posted:

i thought bonelab was pretty weak, talk me into why boneworks is better, because i havent played it yet

Boneworks is if they made a real game instead of a mod based sandbox with no ability to make interesting mods

Still basically the same enemies tho

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Get a semi-rigid cable protector, about 3 meters long, and wrap your HMD cable with it from where it touches the floor from your PC to your feet at the center of your playspace. Keeps it safe, and prevents it forming tight knots.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kinda sad that no one suggested this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VQZYN3M?starsLeft=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cso_cp_apin_dp_9MXR5E4P73GY3DCS9XR3

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Because I feel like most of us that used one realized that you get less rotations because you have less cable that twists, and its harder on the cable in general.

I'd rather step over the thing or play wirelessly with a stand alone.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

Boneworks is if they made a real game instead of a mod based sandbox with no ability to make interesting mods

Still basically the same enemies tho

thanks, bonelab really just felt like i was supposed to have played boneworks and wanted more of it, but i just found it kind of aimless

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I mostly play standing games and don't move around much (my playspace is just over the minimum for roomscale), but I've seen people use various pulley systems to suspend the cable above you. But for an easier solution to avoid it tugging on the headset you can put a clip on the cable and attach it to your belt or something so if/when you step on it it tugs on your belt rather than on the HMD.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

I'd just use wifi and a battery pack in your pocket.

Now that apple have made people accept a separate battery I suppose we'll see that for the Quest 4

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

From the pic I thought those were little drones flying with the cable - has anyone made that yet?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

vaginite posted:

From the pic I thought those were little drones flying with the cable - has anyone made that yet?

I mean, people complain about the sound of a fan on a facial interface, I can't imagine the deafening sound of a drone in the room with you.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe this one then

Put it on a swing arm and you are set

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

is there a way to get steamvr to have a transparent background/environment? I know it can't access the passthrough on the Q3, but if it was transparent it would be showing the passthrough on virtual desktop.

Also, drat I wish Dungeons of Eternity was easier. You go down so quickly once a couple demons get to you. I'm old and suck at games let me have grandpa mode. Me and my wife play but we both get rolled pretty easily even on the easiest dungeons. We got in a couple multiplayer games which didn't really solve the problem because now I'm half an observer as other people do poo poo and we struggle to keep up. Maybe it gets easier with more gear/perks, but I'm earning them slowly from always failing dungeons.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222730/STAR_WARS_Squadrons/
It isn't the best game, but hey 95% off.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I played through it on PSVR2 and liked it a lot. It’s Dishonored in VR, but with all the powers renamed to vampire stuff. If you like those games it’s an easy recommend.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Absolutely loved this. Ace Combat 7 VR was better, but was only 3 levels and this had 14!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMfpKcPfiYs
Genotype promises a big combat update

My ref link
Genotype

and, did you know the resolution of the Apple VisionPro is 3660×3200? and ppd of 34, vs 25 in the Quest 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt22M5nWJ4Q

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 8, 2024

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

is there a way to get steamvr to have a transparent background/environment? I know it can't access the passthrough on the Q3, but if it was transparent it would be showing the passthrough on virtual desktop.

It doesn't have any explicit support, but you could probably set the background to this and use the VD chroma key feature.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3045902509

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1755672399532396788?t=77npznzbyO5UAmyb5j4r4g&s=19

Vr: still not selling

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

"We put the bare minimal effort possible into making a game for an entirely new form of entertainment, and it didn't immediately please the shareholders with vast fortunes! Burn it."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

what did they say about their latest normal assassins creed game? because i have a different theory as to why that game didnt have a ton of success.

i think the game part of the game is pretty mid but i did enjoy the climbing and free running, and arial assassinations are fun in any game. biggest problem i found with it is that it tried to be an assassin's creed game first and a vr game second

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Well hopefully the Q3 update is still coming. No news since release week. So insane that their flagship game that launched a few weeks after the new headset didn't ship with the update.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Black August posted:

"We put the bare minimal effort possible into making a game for an entirely new form of entertainment, and it didn't immediately please the shareholders with vast fortunes! Burn it."

Literally every AAA company making GBS threads out quicky VR titles.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

It definitely has some problems but most of them are instantly and fully incinerated into fine black ash by the searing fires of "holy loving poo poo i am sat in a loving X-WING"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

I wonder if the AAA scene has been so strongly risk-avoidant for so long, that they now completely lack the types of people and momentum to actually innovate and capitalize on a new chance that isn't an immediate and massive certain ROI, leaving something like VR dead in a feedback loop of nobody wanting to *grow* the industry, only experiment seeking gigantic returns. It's why I'm happy about UEVR injections: by the end of this year, I'm certain to have a gigantic library of converted and cleaned up flat-to-VR games to try. Because I have zero faith in the market making any kind of shakeup.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

im honestly glad the vc money is running out. aaa vr needs to die for indie vr to thrive

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Black August posted:

I wonder if the AAA scene has been so strongly risk-avoidant for so long, that they now completely lack the types of people and momentum to actually innovate and capitalize on a new chance that isn't an immediate and massive certain ROI, leaving something like VR dead in a feedback loop of nobody wanting to *grow* the industry, only experiment seeking gigantic returns. It's why I'm happy about UEVR injections: by the end of this year, I'm certain to have a gigantic library of converted and cleaned up flat-to-VR games to try. Because I have zero faith in the market making any kind of shakeup.

They don't get VR people to actually consult on the things before they get built so far its too late to fix.

At least thats what I imagine is happening. Because sometimes the guts or whatever is fine but its so clear that no real VR people were on the team.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EbolaIvory posted:

We've tried nothing, and we're all out of ideas!

Hey how's that 2021 release of San Andreas coming along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Skyrim VR: Special edition followed by Skyrim VR Remastered.