Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Scratch Monkey posted:

once every million drownings the person comes out with the ability to breath underwater. maybe you'll be the next lucky one?

This is basically the plot to The Stars My Destination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I bought a 150 year old house back in November. I just discovered that the house's baseboard heat is rigged for two zones (upstairs and downstairs) but some dingus in then past spliced the input line from the downstairs thermostat onto both zone control valves. There is a functioning thermostat upstairs but it doesn't do anything because it isn't connected to anything. Consequently, the upstairs would continue to chug heat (and run through heating oil) while the downstairs was just trying to maintain normal temperatures. They jury-rigged their way into turning two heat zones into one. :waycool:

We've had a mild winter where I live, so this wasn't noticeable until January. By the end of January, I thought for certain that the upstairs thermostat was just hosed, but... no. Someone forty years ago or whatever had some OSHA.jpg spirit.

Vampire Panties posted:

Only one way to find out about breathing underwater: set yourself on fire. You'll either get a superpower or you won't give a poo poo one way or another.

Railing Kill fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 7, 2024

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Vampire Panties posted:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Same, I had the folding crosman one. I went through a lot of bands on mine. I'd pilfer our lead round ball supply since dad and I cast our own bullets for blackpowder competition. A .50 cal lead ball will embed itself surprisingly deep in a telephone pole. Dad refused to get me a pellet gun because they were too dangerous but I don't think he knew what I was up to.

I legit think it was an 80s-90's kid myth that they were illegal. I remember hearing something about them being too powerful or something, but then seeing them in stores and getting one and being like "this is just a slingshot" and that was that. That said nunchucks and butterfly knives were illegal but I had those too, thanks fleamarket!

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
if we make having nunchucks a crime, only rad criminals will hit their own balls trying to do cool tricks

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Bubblyblubber posted:

if we make having nunchucks a crime, only rad criminals will hit their own balls trying to do cool tricks

never hit my balls but hit my face with them many times, it stings but they are terribly ineffective weapons.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

LifeSunDeath posted:

never hit my balls but hit my face with them many times, it stings but they are terribly ineffective weapons.

....in your hands!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

LifeSunDeath posted:

I legit think it was an 80s-90's kid myth that they were illegal. I remember hearing something about them being too powerful or something, but then seeing them in stores and getting one and being like "this is just a slingshot" and that was that. That said nunchucks and butterfly knives were illegal but I had those too, thanks fleamarket!

Wasn't it the fact they were sold as toys, but fit the definition to be legally considered a weapon? So like you can shoot targets or birds or whatever nbd because sporting goods, but if you hurt someone with it and get charged the court automatically presumes "attacked someone with a weapon == assault with intent to cause serious harm" or whatever? Like it was never owning the thing that was illegal, so the rumor mainly came from uninformed parents shocked to hear on the news about some dumbass getting major criminal charges for carelessly hitting someone while loving around with a slingshot?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

silentsnack posted:

Wasn't it the fact they were sold as toys, but fit the definition to be legally considered a weapon? So like you can shoot targets or birds or whatever nbd because sporting goods, but if you hurt someone with it and get charged the court automatically presumes "attacked someone with a weapon == assault with intent to cause serious harm" or whatever? Like it was never owning the thing that was illegal, so the rumor mainly came from uninformed parents shocked to hear on the news about some dumbass getting major criminal charges for carelessly hitting someone while loving around with a slingshot?

There's not some single "legal definition of weapon." Some places ban possession of slingshots. Some don't. For example, New Jersey specifically bans slingshots right alongside brass knuckles and switchblades.

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-je...ny%20firearm,e.

Others don't.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Also looks like the safety line is attached to the branch they're cutting off, so they'll be lucky if their boyfriend isn't single in a few seconds

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

There's not some single "legal definition of weapon." Some places ban possession of slingshots. Some don't. For example, New Jersey specifically bans slingshots right alongside brass knuckles and switchblades.

Others don't.

The general definition of a deadly weapon is "any item, the manner in which it is used being capable of causing serious physical injury." The key is how an assailant uses the rope or the slingshot or the brick or whatever. Wrap a rope around someone's neck and squeeze, then it's a deadly weapon. Hit them with a rope like a whip, then it's not. Throw a pen at someone, not deadly, but stab them in the eye, deadly weapon. This (generally) also applies to hands and feet. Kick someone in the balls, not a deadly weapon. Literal (assault description) American History X curb stomp, deadly weapon.

I used to be a prosecutor and we'd litigate this all the time. We'd get some pretty wild fact patterns but I'll spare gbs the graphic descriptions of horrible assaults.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kathy Siegel's career has taken a strange turn.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

BigHead posted:

I used to be a prosecutor

Have any funny stories about dumb things or weird stuff that happened in court?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The combination of her makeup, eyebrows, and general wide-eye expression gives me the feeling that she's being mind controlled to do this and is begging someone to make her stop.

Also the images remind me that seeing the body from the inside is something we weren't meant to do. Big "I shouldn't be here" vibes.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

What, and miss out on this little fella?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Same, I had the folding crosman one. I went through a lot of bands on mine. I'd pilfer our lead round ball supply since dad and I cast our own bullets for blackpowder competition. A .50 cal lead ball will embed itself surprisingly deep in a telephone pole. Dad refused to get me a pellet gun because they were too dangerous but I don't think he knew what I was up to.

You can buy clay ball ammo for them now, which is a lot more reliable than the rocks I got to use as a kid. My dad knew what was up and forbid steel ball ammo.

Looking back, holy gently caress slingshots are scary dangerous.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Marvel television crewmember dies after falling on set of "Wonder Man" series

The article says it was a rigger, but the IATSE chatter says it was an electrician. It sounds like they have wooden catwalks above the sound stage with handrails, so fall protection wasn't required. The rumor is that the wooden planks broke underneath the worker and he fell.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Sammus posted:

You can buy clay ball ammo for them now, which is a lot more reliable than the rocks I got to use as a kid. My dad knew what was up and forbid steel ball ammo.

Looking back, holy gently caress slingshots are scary dangerous.

We used to use marbles. Just as good as steelies, but way cheaper.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I was expecting to see daylight at some point

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Wasabi the J posted:

I was expecting to see daylight at some point

Google "Pill Cam". The movie was riveting but the ending was crap.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Harry_Potato posted:

Too many twists and turns, if you ask me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Harry_Potato posted:

Eh, I found it a bit hard to swallow

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

The gag reel was something else, though

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Others don't.

fun fact

that law originally banned slungshots (a thing you hit people with) and when the law was amended someone accidentally wrote slingshot instead.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/9efUn3L.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Can't embark there, matey

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Wormsign

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Harry_Potato posted:

If you liked Attack on Titan, you're gonna love this

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/KdHYbEf.mp4

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/0ZmcdTY.mp4

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

What on earth

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Too much gasoline.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/TeZSiYT.mp4

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/JU2UY4c.mp4

:rip:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/7cp013A.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
https://i.imgur.com/UNEDLXh.mp4

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm very curious to know what that car is. It looks like something out of Cyberpunk 2077.

Penrose parking ramp?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm very curious to know what that car is. It looks like something out of Cyberpunk 2077.

yeah looks like a lowered buggy with racing tires, fascinating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm more worried that the chicken will be cooked unevenly.