Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I finished FF3 yesterday and it was solid all-round. The very last bit in the world of darkness was a bit of a slog, but I had a lvl 52, job level 99 black belt and that guy was doing 7-9k per round with bare-hands. On crits he would max out at 9999 damage. The hardest part was the dragon that hit for 6k.

Doga and Unei's theme is super memorable. One of my all-time favorites. It was a great touch when your party gets killed by the darkness and the theme kicks in and Doga & Unei fade into view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bstqHYiGJs4

I'd rate FF1 at a solid 8/10
FF2 7/10
FF3 8.5/10

Now I've started 4 and I had totally forgotten that it was ATB. It's going to take a bit of getting used to, but I guess all the games going forward are ATB so I'll have plenty of time to settle in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Anyone tried Dragon Quest Builders 2 on the Deck? Valve marked it as deck unsupported at some point after release, the discussion forums are a mix of "works well for me", "doesn't launch", and "works fine but only on desktop mode". ProtonDB seems to be similar.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Saoshyant posted:

Anyone tried Dragon Quest Builders 2 on the Deck? Valve marked it as deck unsupported at some point after release, the discussion forums are a mix of "works well for me", "doesn't launch", and "works fine but only on desktop mode". ProtonDB seems to be similar.

Why would desktop mode work differently than game mode? I thought game mode was just a UI change and it's still using the same proton underneath.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Annath posted:

Why would desktop mode work differently than game mode? I thought game mode was just a UI change and it's still using the same proton underneath.

Game Mode's biggest issues are with pop-under things like launchers

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Did you try the demo version?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone try pacific drive yet?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Annath posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/14k09ub/is_there_a_point_in_playing_games_in_desktop_mode/jpoh0oo/ there's a difference between game mode and desktop that's explained well here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Anyone try pacific drive yet?

I plan to try it tonight. First one to try it, post about it

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Anytime had any problem with their Deck battery dying? Suddenly I seem to be getting a lot less playtime on battery. I haven't timed it yet, but the low battery keep surprising me far more than they did.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

If anyone wants to spend their own £34.99 on Helldivers 2 to test it on a Steam Deck so I don't have to, and report back to here with how it runs, that would be super swell!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

nonathlon posted:

Anytime had any problem with their Deck battery dying? Suddenly I seem to be getting a lot less playtime on battery. I haven't timed it yet, but the low battery keep surprising me far more than they did.

My battery is all sorts of hosed up. Health is down to 78% last I checked and will randomly drop charge anytime you push the Deck with an intensive game. If you’re playing a small game or moonlight then you’d never know. also not a real issue if you’re connected to a charger so I’ve lived with it. this is a launch day/week(?) deck that I’ve used and abused for years now so I’m not too worried about it. Once it becomes an actual issue I’m planning on replacing the battery if the Deck 2 isn’t out yet.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 8, 2024

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Bumhead posted:

If anyone wants to spend their own £34.99 on Helldivers 2 to test it on a Steam Deck so I don't have to, and report back to here with how it runs, that would be super swell!

I'm also curious, especially whether it will even run at all (given their choice of anti cheat tool).

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Badly Jester posted:

I'm also curious, especially whether it will even run at all (given their choice of anti cheat tool).

Sounds like it doesn’t, for exactly this reason.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There's a discussion about it on the proton github with various not really confirmed workaround. The main thing I've seen is you need to launch the game in Desktop mode first for tthe anti cheat install to actually pop up / go through. After that people are tinkering with various layers with some success. One of the comments say GE-Proton 7-49 gets the game to launch but with gamepad issues and connection issues sometimes. They posted this as proof

This is gonna need to be updated on the game/anti-cheat side more than the proton side so who knows if they bother. But hey you can always moonlight stream it!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

How's the OLED anti-glare screen?

Considering upgrading from an LCD glossy to the OLED anti-glare, but have heard mixed things. Mostly indoor use.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Walked posted:

How's the OLED anti-glare screen?

Considering upgrading from an LCD glossy to the OLED anti-glare, but have heard mixed things. Mostly indoor use.

Awesome

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's great and the fuss about the etched OLED screen not representing colors as well was literally misinfo

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Now I have to save up more money to buy the OLED Deck.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I had an LCD deck and just got an OLED deck. I can’t do a side by side because the LCD one met a margarita-y death last summer but the OLED screen definitely is way nicer than I remember the LCD one being. Like, far nicer. No glare or reflection issues with indoor use at all.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's great and the fuss about the etched OLED screen not representing colors as well was literally misinfo

The etched OLED screen looks spectacular. People are real weird about stuff sometimes.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks all; just needed a sane take before clicking purchase

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Annath posted:

Now I have to save up more money to buy the OLED Deck.

It definitely kicks rear end, I love mine.

Etched vs glossy is whatever but having a bigger, prettier screen with smaller bezels is great.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Rolo posted:

It definitely kicks rear end, I love mine.

Etched vs glossy is whatever but having a bigger, prettier screen with smaller bezels is great.

I'm torn, because I have a 1TB drive in my current Deck, which I will be moving to the new one.

So, do I spend less money on the lowest storage OLED, but lose the matte screen, or buy the pricier model and get the better screen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Al the talk about colors being worse on the etched glass is just propaganda from Big Fluorescent Lighting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I plan to try it tonight. First one to try it, post about it

Tried it last night. It says that it needs a Microsoft C runtime and closes :smith:

It was really late at the time, so I didnt dig in

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Annath posted:

I'm torn, because I have a 1TB drive in my current Deck, which I will be moving to the new one.

So, do I spend less money on the lowest storage OLED, but lose the matte screen, or buy the pricier model and get the better screen.

I got the glassy for the same reason and I absolutely love how it looks.

Granted I don’t play it at the beach or a cool Brooklyn rooftop party with lots of Edison bulbs. It mostly stays in my place or hotels.

I don’t think you’ll regret either screen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I had an LCD deck and just got an OLED deck. I can’t do a side by side because the LCD one met a margarita-y death last summer but the OLED screen definitely is way nicer than I remember the LCD one being. Like, far nicer. No glare or reflection issues with indoor use at all.

Buy the deck’s individual parts and build one yourself.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Annath posted:

I've looked at two OLEDs (matte and glossy) side by side, and they both look great.

I have the matte one and prefer it, but you're good either way. If you think you'll be playing it a lot, or if you'll be playing outside or in bright lighting, definitely go for the bigger storage and matte screen. Otherwise the glossy one will serve just fine.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I play my LCD Deck a lot, but never outside.

I'm basically always either at work or in my Goon Cave apartment.

I'll probably just get the glossy. My phone is a glossy OLED screen and I don't have any issues with that after all.

Hopefully I can sell the LCD Deck to recoup some cost.

What would be a reasonable price for a very well maintained LCD Deck with the Hall Effect sticks and a 512GB drive?

Also, did they release Hall Effect sticks for the OLED? I seem to remember that the original sticks weren't compatible with the OLED model.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I have the glossy, I'm happy with it. I like it because I can put a screen protector on it without worrying it's going to negate or screw with the etched glass. And then I can pick it up by the screen and wipe it off with my hoody sleeve without worrying about scratches. :v:

I sold my LCD 512gb swapped deck (was 64gb OEM) for about $325 right after the OLED was announced. Not sure what they go for now, just check FB marketplace.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man I finally got into Cult of the Lamb and this is a great deck game.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

My eyes might be broken, but I put a matte screen protector (jsaux one) on my matte oled screen and I still think it looks great :buddy:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Annath posted:

I play my LCD Deck a lot, but never outside.

I'm basically always either at work or in my Goon Cave apartment.

I'll probably just get the glossy. My phone is a glossy OLED screen and I don't have any issues with that after all.

Hopefully I can sell the LCD Deck to recoup some cost.

What would be a reasonable price for a very well maintained LCD Deck with the Hall Effect sticks and a 512GB drive?

Also, did they release Hall Effect sticks for the OLED? I seem to remember that the original sticks weren't compatible with the OLED model.

Keep in mind that the modding you did might not be a value add since a buyer doesn’t know if you’re a skilled person who can take apart electronics or a moron.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I have now heard zero instances of the deck's default sticks failing, and 3 instances where someone tanked the resale value of their deck installing hall effect sticks. :thunk:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly the stock sticks feel pretty good to use day to day.

My approach is I'm just going to use my deck until the sticks it came with get hosed up, and then I'll look into replacing them with fancy sticks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly the stock sticks feel pretty good to use day to day.

My approach is I'm just going to use my deck until the sticks it came with get hosed up, and then I'll look into replacing them with fancy sticks.

This is pretty much the way I look at it all. I have literally probably over 2000 hours with my deck since getting it in Oct of 2022, so the moment something goes on it, I am looking into learning real quick how to replace whatever it needs. I love my deck.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The other really nice thing about the deck over most controllers is that you have back buttons. I've remapped R3/L3 to one of the back buttons in pretty much everything I play because I suspect that clicking is one of the big things that kills sticks. It seems like most of the people I know who run through them quickly are really mashing on them in online shooters and the like.

Honestly at this point I like hitting the back buttons over clicking the sticks enough that it kind of throws me when I pick up the PS5 for something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cyrano4747 posted:

The other really nice thing about the deck over most controllers is that you have back buttons. I've remapped R3/L3 to one of the back buttons in pretty much everything I play because I suspect that clicking is one of the big things that kills sticks. It seems like most of the people I know who run through them quickly are really mashing on them in online shooters and the like.

Honestly at this point I like hitting the back buttons over clicking the sticks enough that it kind of throws me when I pick up the PS5 for something.

I love L4 as run or duck, and R4 as jump, always. It's very nice that I can pretty much make that consistent across all games that have those gameplay aspects.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm sure it doesn't HELP but it's more likely they just use the controller more often in ways that lead to the wear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JluAuIJ-tSY. I think you see it more with joycons because people were often throwing it into anything to carry it and that caused more movement of the sticks. You aren't pushing them in that often in switch games where people complained about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

minusX posted:

I'm sure it doesn't HELP but it's more likely they just use the controller more often in ways that lead to the wear. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JluAuIJ-tSY. I think you see it more with joycons because people were often throwing it into anything to carry it and that caused more movement of the sticks. You aren't pushing them in that often in switch games where people complained about it.

Eh, I suspect the switch was more than just being portable. Anecdotal as gently caress because I've never owned one, but I've got plenty of friends who do and have had lots of joycon problems with machines that stay in their houses all the time.