Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

MSPain posted:

mario 64 has nothing in common with real mario games and, furthermore, it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man, that was a tough time for n64 fans.

We have mario 64 and...uh...some people claim quest 64 isn't totally unplayable!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

The Moon Monster posted:

All computer graphics are pixel graphics, actually.

:wrong:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I think the real problem with pixel art is that people aren't making impressive looking pixel art, 99% of poo poo is just 9 pixel garbage that looks like Fez as opposed to something like Comix Zone or whatever

Yeah, that's probably more it. There's some stuff that's worked for me - Death's Gambit was properly reminiscent of an Amiga game or something.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Man, that was a tough time for n64 fans.

We have mario 64 and...uh...some people claim quest 64 isn't totally unplayable!

Wave Race and Pilot Wings were out

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

MAXIMUM POWERRRR!!!!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I thought it was a weird choice on the title screen of Mario 64 to let the player play with Mario's dick

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
If you think about it really hard...Mario is a racist caricature.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
It's impossible to be too racist against Italians.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

credburn posted:

Got it. Counter-Strike 4 is Counter-Strike 2.

I think it was CounterStrike Beta 6 I played, you could steal guns out of other players holsters. I had the hotmail address Steyrscout@hotmail.com, based purely on the game (not knowing it was a real gun). Old.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

MSPain posted:

here's an unpopular opinion I formed when I was ten and can't seem to let go:

mario 64 has nothing in common with real mario games and, furthermore, it sucks rear end

:yossame:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

Wave Race and Pilot Wings were out

Pilot Wings loving ruled.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Counterstrike, Counterstrike: Source, Counterstrike: Global Operations, Counterstrike 2

Except this leaves us with Counterstrike 1.6 which introduced the shield and Counterstrike: Condition Zero which was the second failed attempt at single player counter strike but with multiplayer this time and also had the shield, which I guess are a failed dead end blood line as Source and its descendants killed the shield

So Counterstrike 2 is either Counterstrike 4 or 6.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 8, 2024

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

MSPain posted:

here's an unpopular opinion I formed when I was ten and can't seem to let go:

mario 64 has nothing in common with real mario games and, furthermore, it sucks rear end

I'll do you one better: The N64 was only a success because some people hadn't played PC games or other consoles yet.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That about sums up my feelings about both games as well, thanks!

There is a mod for MW 5 that allows you to be more detailed on how you setup your mechs and whatnot. While it was kinda fun, it didn't really manage to hook me back so ymmv.

There's another mod in development that is supposed to give you a lot more control over your lance in the vein of an rts game, so maybe that will scratch your itch.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

!Klams posted:

I'll do you one better: The N64 was only a success because some people hadn't played PC games or other consoles yet.

i think it was the 4 controllers. i never owned an n64 when it was new so i don't have much nostalgia for it but over the years the one i got secondhand has lots of mileage from mario party, smash 64, mario cart, golden eye, etc. lots of party games that still hold up

it was always weird to me that the ps2 only had two controllers

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mario 64 is mechanically a Donkey Kong game, it takes much of it's move set (and slower paced environmental puzzle vibes) from the Gameboy remake/sequel.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I never vibed with Mario 64 either and it's empty locations and musical pallette feel really melancholy to me.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
who the gently caress wants to listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_XXoC2AUOA

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
The N64 sound was generally pretty ugly to me, as was the Megadrives. Holy poo poo, that Megadrive twang was grating.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I've heard good Megadrive tracks, but generally speaking that system was the epitome of what people think ugly video game sounds are. It's right up there with PC speaker noises and Atari blips and bloops.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The MegaDrive's sounds would fit perfectly in a loud and busy arcade, which makes sense considering SEGA's pedigree. But in a home context? especially when put side-by-side next to the SNES' sample-based audio? Nope.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only thing the SNES had over the mega-drive were the mario games, everything else was better on mega drive from the granularity of being allowed blood in Mortal Kombat to having the superior versions of Aladdin

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I never played Mario 64 because the N64 was an ugly joke but Mario Sunshine might be my favorite Mario game.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Can game companies normalize 6 buttons on the face again? Is this some "I can only count to 4" poo poo?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

Can game companies normalize 6 buttons on the face again? Is this some "I can only count to 4" poo poo?

Has that ever been normal? I can only think of the Saturn and Xbox that had 6, unless you count that mega drive pad but that wasn't the default so that shouldn't count.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

the number of face buttons is more tradition than anything at this point

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Xbox did it best -- 4 main, 2 little nubs for auxiliary functions. If fighting games were still relevant then you could put all 6 the same size but at that point just buy a fight stick or something. Everyone's playing Tekken these days anyway.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I hate that goddamn screenshot button in any menu-heavy game on xbox.

So many bullshit screenshots of portia and palworld uploading to the cloud.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ditto on the switch. Social media is such a cancer its even gotten into video game controllers!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

to be fair select was an useless button. what gets me is that they label the button with some stupid icons instead of words! :corsair:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Counterstrike is like the NCIS of games, its been around forever and no one ever talks about it because who cares but its played by millions of weirdos for 10 hours a day.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

SCheeseman posted:

Mario 64 is mechanically a Donkey Kong game, it takes much of it's move set (and slower paced environmental puzzle vibes) from the Gameboy remake/sequel.

you are totally right and it is causing me some cognitive dissonance because i like that gameboy game but not mario 64

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mind the walrus posted:

Xbox did it best -- 4 main, 2 little nubs for auxiliary functions. If fighting games were still relevant then you could put all 6 the same size but at that point just buy a fight stick or something. Everyone's playing Tekken these days anyway.

the double triggers on the 360 are neat but idk why they had to get rid of the black and white buttons to add them
how come there isn't a console with the 6 face buttons AND the l1/l2 triggers

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Why do console gamers want to use their thumbs for everything? You've got 10 fingers.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.
Someone hasn't seen the old school Armored Core controller grip

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Devils Affricate posted:

Why do console gamers want to use their thumbs for everything? You've got 10 fingers.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I just want to say - I remember when Counter Strike introduced drivable vehicles. And so many popular maps that don't even exist anymore, like tears in the rain.

Anyway, not sure why I care I didn't play that much CS and I stopped playing CS2. It's just such an ever present game that it's weird how it both doesn't change and has changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Nice Van My Man posted:

I just want to say - I remember when Counter Strike introduced drivable vehicles. And so many popular maps that don't even exist anymore, like tears in the rain.

Anyway, not sure why I care I didn't play that much CS and I stopped playing CS2. It's just such an ever present game that it's weird how it both doesn't change and has changed.

Assassination/VIP mode is the thing I miss from the early days of CS. Oilrig was such a fun map.