Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Witness rules.

edit as far as Weir goes it's much more a standard thriller than Last Wave, which really borders on horror, and it's certainly less horror than Hanging Rock. If I was to make a Peter Weir horror gradient I'd probably go like Picnic > Last Wave > Witness > Master and Commander? I don't remember Gallipoli well enough to place it on the list.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Dark Night of the Scarecrow's grain burial is phenomenal.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Dark Night of the Scarecrow's grain burial is phenomenal.

That movie just rules in general. I watched it this October for the first time ever and was pretty blown away. Some movies just capture that eerie fall vibe and it adds so much to everything else going on.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The Harrison Ford movie? I'll have to check that out...

The Peter Weir (!) (smaller font) Harrison Ford movie. Definitely watch it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

WITNESS has an excellent and horrifying burial in grain scene.

now that's a loving film. peter weir is the best

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Witness is a very solid little drama-thriller. If you go in for horror you’ll be disappointed but it’s a firm recommend for general watching.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Witness rules.

edit as far as Weir goes it's much more a standard thriller than Last Wave, which really borders on horror, and it's certainly less horror than Hanging Rock. If I was to make a Peter Weir horror gradient I'd probably go like Picnic > Last Wave > Witness > Master and Commander? I don't remember Gallipoli well enough to place it on the list.

can't forget the cars that ate paris

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol just got to that scene in deadly friend

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dark Night of the Scarecrow, too! efb

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 7, 2024

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Xiahou Dun posted:

Witness is a very solid little drama-thriller. If you go in for horror you’ll be disappointed but it’s a firm recommend for general watching.

Oh yeah, didn't mean to give the impression it's a horror movie. That scene, however, could give you a panic attack.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

A Fancy Hat posted:

That movie just rules in general. I watched it this October for the first time ever and was pretty blown away. Some movies just capture that eerie fall vibe and it adds so much to everything else going on.

Charles Durning’s character being such a skeezy sketchy mofo makes the movie. That and a scarecrow animated by a vengeance ghost.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Oh yeah, didn't mean to give the impression it's a horror movie. That scene, however, could give you a panic attack.

:shrug:

Maybe you’re terrified of the Amish? Beard with no mustache is a weird look.

Also since I’m gushing about language : Witness has lots of great Plattdeutsch/Pennsylvania Dutch (that is actually German). If you only took German in school it’d be a trip.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/ifcfilms/status/1755274125579579695?s=46

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Video won't load for me. What is it?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Late night with the devil trailer

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Jedit posted:

Video won't load for me. What is it?

MacheteZombie posted:

Late night with the devil trailer

It's not up anywhere else at the moment. Just twitter.

dorium fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 7, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

A Fancy Hat posted:

There is a lot that is great about it. The suspense at the end is fantastic. The barn-raising scene.

I could go on and on but I won’t because it’s not the thread for it. But if you’ve never seen Witness, do yourself a favor, goons!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

Horror franchises literally only end after at least two direct-to-streaming sequels that both have to perform badly, then for a rebootquel five years later to also fail. Then you buy yourself maybe another five years.

YA GOTTA SHOOT EM IN THE HEAD

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Speaking of more in a franchise that it’s up for debate is warranted or not, Horror in the High Desert just got more announced. Horror in the High Desert 3, 4, and 5 greenlit https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3798721/horror-in-the-high-desert-third-fourth-and-fifth-installments-on-the-way/

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I've been driving my managers nuts asking if we're getting this. So far, no word but I'm hoping something fierce.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’d be fantastic to see it in a theatrical setting, but it’s gonna be on Shudder on April 19th.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Gonz posted:

It’d be fantastic to see it in a theatrical setting, but it’s gonna be on Shudder on April 19th.

I really do want to see it at the show, and since the artsy film theater shut down and we've started carrying what they offered, I'm hoping since it's IFC, but who knows.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I feel like i need to see it in the dingiest shoe box theater possible.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
the theater i used to work at had an absolutely gorgeous 500 seat main theater and then two tiny little fuckin' 90-seat tree-house feeling theaters they built sometime in the 70s that may as well have been just awkwardly bolted onto the existing architecture and those were the absolute best for screening our midnight movie reels in or bringing our own stuff to run on the digital projectors

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i feel like finding a run down place that can house 50 - 100 seats and a screen with some old rear end sound system might do good business just showing a constant stream of horror flicks if they're cheaply available

like the more run down, the better for setting the mood

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

So does the last season of Barry. Legitimately horrifying.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's pretty wild that Alexander Godunov's two most prominent roles are Big Guy Who Has A Brother, isn't it?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Gripweed posted:

You guys seem Luz? Luz is pretty good.

Many pages back but yes, yes it is!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol just got to that scene in deadly friend

Yeah I started laughing when I recognized the room from THE GIF

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Anne Ramsey is just great in Throw Momma From The Train, but that scene in Deadly Friend is all time

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just love that I haven't seen that movie in 30 years and immediately know what "that scene" meant. It's a classic.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Some scenes will outlive the movies that birthed them.

That scene in Deadly Friend, GARBAGE DAY in Silent Night Deadly Night 2 - sometimes a thoroughly meh movie creates something that can truly be considered art of the highest caliber.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

Some scenes will outlive the movies that birthed them.

That scene in Deadly Friend, GARBAGE DAY in Silent Night Deadly Night 2 - sometimes a thoroughly meh movie creates something that can truly be considered art of the highest caliber.

Not horror but there is a three-minute musical number(!) in the middle of the godawful The Ladies Man film - a film that I remind you is not a musical film otherwise - that is hands-down the funniest thing released on film in the year 2000. The other 85 minutes, however, are pure poison.

There should be some sort of list that catalogs these. Maybe I'll get on letterboxd and make it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Reminder that Out Of Darkness opens this weekend and I'm stoked for some Upper Palaeolithic horror

Kind of hoping it's set in Doggerland, though I don't know enough about the glaciation record of Europe to know if sea levels were low enough 45000 years ago to permit it

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Phy posted:

Reminder that Out Of Darkness opens this weekend and I'm stoked for some Upper Palaeolithic horror

Kind of hoping it's set in Doggerland, though I don't know enough about the glaciation record of Europe to know if sea levels were low enough 45000 years ago to permit it

It flooded about 8,000 years ago, so yes.

But also thank you for the reminder! Very excited.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

It flooded about 8,000 years ago, so yes.

But also thank you for the reminder! Very excited.

Oh yeah I know it flooded relatively recently, it's more I don't know when it emerged in the first place. Sea levels drop when ice ages move more water onto the land.

I checked the Wikipedia article for the Quaternary Glaciation (which we're still technically in) and it looks like temperature was pretty low at the time, so Doggerland probably was above sea level but also prob covered in an ice sheet.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Phy posted:

Wish it was playing closer than 45 miles near me :negative:

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Since I know there are a few Last Drive-In watchers here, any guesses on the movies playing tomorrow? I am utterly stumped on one of the films and only have a guess on the other.

First movie - the MPAA required 53 cuts before it could be released. That's gotta be My Bloody Valentine, right?

Second movie - Combines Andy Warhol's Factory with the worst neighborhood in downtown L.A.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

A Fancy Hat posted:

Since I know there are a few Last Drive-In watchers here, any guesses on the movies playing tomorrow? I am utterly stumped on one of the films and only have a guess on the other.

First movie - the MPAA required 53 cuts before it could be released. That's gotta be My Bloody Valentine, right?

Second movie - Combines Andy Warhol's Factory with the worst neighborhood in downtown L.A.

I have not been able to figure out either, I'd honestly be surprised if it was MBV, they usually dont go for the obvious on the holiday specials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm never good at the clues but I'm praying it's My Bloody Valentine if just because it's my partner's favorite slasher and we have to introduce our friends to it. That was my guess too. I know it's an obvious one and they don't always do that but damnit, sometimes you have to go with the classics!