Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

wow, what are the odds so many of their employees just so happened to be found to be doing a lovely job at exactly the same time there was a general economic downturn

whatever the answer, I'm sure we can all agree this is 100% legit and not engineered to do layoffs without severance

I have no sympathy for McKinsey vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
what economic downturn? everything is getting better Joe Biden number one

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Chad Sexington posted:

what economic downturn? everything is getting better Joe Biden number one

America is doing so well that a meal for one at McDonalds is $12.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sounds like more GDP which is good for number aka Joe Biden

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In Training posted:

I do admit that for their case my solidarity shtick from yesterday is being stretched to its absolute limit

The difference I suppose is that coders are just artisans whose product is currently in high demand, while consultants act as capitalists without capital of their own and are frequently just nepo babies and capitalists-in-training. They are literally hired to do executives' jobs for them and as such are not really distinguishable from them

It is definitely ironic that McKinsey, the company that pays them to teach other companies to gently caress people over for profit, is pretty obviously cooking the books to gently caress them over for profit

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Maed posted:

welp i just got laid off myself though this appears to be retaliation for asking to be moved to a new assignment cause the manager of the last one was so terrible he gave me and other members of the team anxiety attacks instead of a mass layoff

they told me they'd get me a new assignment and then two weeks later laid me off instead. no severance offered either so guess it's lawyer consultation time

My experience is that severance is something companies use to manage PR and/or get you to sign something they want, it isn’t a right or anything.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Consultants gettung owned ftmfw

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

MickeyFinn posted:

My experience is that severance is something companies use to manage PR and/or get you to sign something they want, it isn’t a right or anything.

yep. you offer severance to get ex employees to sign a termination agreement, which will typically contain non-disparagement and non-compete clauses that may or may not be enforceable. if you sign you can't say the company sucks, if you don't you don't get money. severance isn't a right and no one offers it out of the kindness of their heart

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Lol McKinsey getting high off it's own supply.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

i'm pretty like 2/3rd of the parasites are just various nepo failsons from Harvard Legacy Trusts and other Ivy league former roommates brother with Chuck Schumer or whatever

seems like a dumping ground for all the connected nepo babies

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Graduation ceremony for MBAs but when they walk off the stage it's onto a pirate ship plank that leads straight into a shark tank. The consultant scourge is over and mankind rejoices

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Consultant jobs are definitely holding tanks for nepo babies who have finished college but haven't chosen a career yet

Iverron
May 13, 2012

the layoffs will continue until the bread prices are fixed

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
lol gently caress Mckinsey consultants. They won't experience any pain behind it though, they'll just sell some stock and maybe hit the trust fund a little harder than usual until they get another sinecure.

DaysBefore posted:

Graduation ceremony for MBAs but when they walk off the stage it's onto a pirate ship plank that leads straight into a shark tank. The consultant scourge is over and mankind rejoices

:hmmyes:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What skills are they consulting about then?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I should read The Firm...

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

In Training posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZE0j_WCRvI

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yesterday it hit me again how in 2018 you could get a really good burrito for between $3-$5 and now the minimum price for the same burrito is $14, but everyone's wages stayed flat or even sunk. Seems bad. Sure feels bad. Apparently GDP is really high tho.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

If you can't deal with a boss that gives you anxiety attacks I don't think you're cut out for the PMC lifestyle.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yesterday it hit me again how in 2018 you could get a really good burrito for between $3-$5 and now the minimum price for the same burrito is $14, but everyone's wages stayed flat or even sunk. Seems bad. Sure feels bad. Apparently GDP is really high tho.

I recently went to one of my favorite burrito places from college and it was almost $20. It was the exact same thing, it was delicious, and I regretted it immensely later, but idk how college kids can afford it. I'm afraid to see what the $7 chinese food daily special costs now.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

I recently went to one of my favorite burrito places from college and it was almost $20. It was the exact same thing, it was delicious, and I regretted it immensely later, but idk how college kids can afford it. I'm afraid to see what the $7 chinese food daily special costs now.

it's ok though because wages are going up

right

janet yellen said so

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Nephzinho posted:

A classic burrito combo meal is $18.50 at taco time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Looking around at job applications.

Saw one for AI.

CONVERSATIONAL AI EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Minimum of 2 years experience testing Conversational AI and rules-based chatbot applications

Weren't there the first day these showed up? NOT QUALIFIED. There are as many AI engineers as there ever will be, you're already too late.

requirements in job listings are not real

I mean the listing isn’t real also

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love how every story is about layoffs and the economy is adding 300k jobs a month

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

euphronius posted:

I love how every story is about layoffs and the economy is adding 300k jobs a month

the layoffs are all good jobs and the new jobs are all poo poo jobs

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

euphronius posted:

they're laying off all the seniors to let other places rehire them back as juniors

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

went to a Walmart to buy a pill organizer for $2 instead of the same one at Walgreens for $11, and there were 10 cashiers!

they were all old women 😩

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

poo poo and Piss 500 hit all time highs today. 5000.40

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm doing my part :hai:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

bidenomics :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Iverron posted:

the layoffs will continue until the bread prices are fixed

:canada:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

In Training posted:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Consultants gettung owned ftmfw

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

poo poo and Piss 500

lol That's going to be my mental name for that now.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

lol I worked at a smaller consulting firm and had my career derailed when I refused to submit performance reviews with predetermined scores so my boss' boss could use the raise/bonus money saved to pay off his sexual harassment victims

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

actionjackson posted:

one of the links from that said a mcdonald's in a really wealthy area of connecticut was charging $17 for two cheeseburgers

Softening consumer resistance to price hikes is a growing industry with many opportunities for young sales execs with a little gumption and get up and go.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lol the stock market

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Mister McKinsey is helping me find my bread price.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
i gave 2 interviews for a computer toucher position. number go up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

As far as I can tell, there are two kinds of consultants:

1. Industry experts: They have dozens of clients in the same verticals. They steal all the good ideas from each of these clients and then present them as their own to the other clients.
2. Hacks: You bring these people in to "study" a problem and then they give you cover to do the thing you were going to do anyway. "Oh, our 29-year-old McKinsey consultant says the best thing for us to do is lay off 20% of you. I hate to do it, but he's the expert, so ..."

Both of these are good investments so consultants bill for incredible rates.