Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’ve seen some guesses that the second Joe Bob feature could be Eating Raoul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDsboqjQq8o
From the director of Luz

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I’ve seen some guesses that the second Joe Bob feature could be Eating Raoul.

i would be very pleasantly surprised at this

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

Since I know there are a few Last Drive-In watchers here, any guesses on the movies playing tomorrow? I am utterly stumped on one of the films and only have a guess on the other.

First movie - the MPAA required 53 cuts before it could be released. That's gotta be My Bloody Valentine, right?

Second movie - Combines Andy Warhol's Factory with the worst neighborhood in downtown L.A.

I saw that the first movie is Freeway because someone found a quote from the director that specifically mentioned “53 cuts”

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Phy posted:

Oh yeah I know it flooded relatively recently, it's more I don't know when it emerged in the first place. Sea levels drop when ice ages move more water onto the land.

I checked the Wikipedia article for the Quaternary Glaciation (which we're still technically in) and it looks like temperature was pretty low at the time, so Doggerland probably was above sea level but also prob covered in an ice sheet.

the vistula ice sheet covered roughly the upper half of "doggerland" (the part that's actually now the dogger banks and surrounding sea) at the ~20kbp glacial maximum, the part that's now under the english channel would have been part of a broad tundra extending across western england and into france/the low countries. the ice sheet would have been a bit farther back at 45bp so some parts of doggerland would have been glaciated and some would have been tundra.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:hellyeah: Hunter Schafer's first horror appearance

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Chris James 2 posted:

:hellyeah: Hunter Schafer's first horror appearance

Read this as Hunter Biden at first, and was like "yeah, that tracks"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

the vistula ice sheet covered roughly the upper half of "doggerland" (the part that's actually now the dogger banks and surrounding sea) at the ~20kbp glacial maximum, the part that's now under the english channel would have been part of a broad tundra extending across western england and into france/the low countries. the ice sheet would have been a bit farther back at 45bp so some parts of doggerland would have been glaciated and some would have been tundra.

Awesome, thank you! That's really helpful.

The movie looks like half of it is gonna be set in boreal forest - it was shot around Gairloch in northern Scotland - so probably further south than Doggerland for the time period.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Phy posted:

Awesome, thank you! That's really helpful.

The movie looks like half of it is gonna be set in boreal forest - it was shot around Gairloch in northern Scotland - so probably further south than Doggerland for the time period.

yeah it almost certainly would not have been heavily forested, a lot of tundra and wetlands, there was probably a large lake near the current dogger bank and all the major watersheds of the area (thames, seine, rhine, etc) converged into a super broad river flowing into the atlantic where the western part of the channel is now, similar to the rio de la plata. i don't think this is super important though, there could have been a forest or two here or there, why not

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh for sure, and I'm not expecting the movie to be so thoroughly researched they start using it in anthropology classes or anything, it's just fun to think about

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiwvEtimLzQ

non twitter version.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/psychotronica_/status/1755442699526603203?s=20

Love this movie!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I had to watch that gif 3 times to figure out how it was done. Holy crap that’s clever and now I’m gonna steal that idea and do it on Halloween for trick or treaters.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Just saw X with the bf and it was incredible.

Would have been great to watch it before we had a weekend at a cabin out here in Texas for New Years Eve.
Had to make due with making NOPE references with the horse training ranch nearby and that suspicious cloud that didn’t move at all.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

A Fancy Hat posted:

I had to watch that gif 3 times to figure out how it was done. Holy crap that’s clever and now I’m gonna steal that idea and do it on Halloween for trick or treaters.

Was it two people?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna guess but the guy is laying on a table so he can pop his torso out. A puppeteer after grabbing the lower half with the blob pulls the legs the same time he slides through the book case

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I’m gonna guess but the guy is laying on a table so he can pop his torso out. A puppeteer after grabbing the lower half with the blob pulls the legs the same time he slides through the book case

Okay one person, the legs are fake, the guy's real legs are horizontal through the hole already, then his torso and the fake legs get pulled in, makes sense.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah that was a common practical effect and a giveaway whenever the legs bent backwards. The other one was dummy legs with person bent backwards like a L with their backs on the floor and their legs going under the set. For sitting position people just sat on their knees with dummy legs attached to the knee caps. That was used recently in Saw X. The chest scene in The Thing had John Hurts standing under the table with his head and arms put through around the fake torso and legs. They also had two guys under the table pumping the blood and working the prop so that's why they shot it from above.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to well actually so bad right now but I know the movie you’re talking about lmao

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Horror Thread : they had two guys under the table pumping the blood is pretty dece.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doltos posted:

The chest scene in The Thing had John Hurts standing under the table with his head and arms put through around the fake torso and legs.

Do you want to remember which thread you're holding forth in? :stare:

Meanwhile, that's my evening sorted:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

John Hurts At The End

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Sometimes your brain just spits out the wrong word even though you know the right word

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

A Fancy Hat posted:

Maybe follow up with spitting out a bloody skeleton

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Basebf555 posted:

Sometimes your brain just spits out the wrong word even though you know the right word

I was thinking about The Thing meant Alien and now it's too late, I've showed my whole rear end

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Hell I just mixed up the Thing and Alien a couple weeks ago

I always like when people do that poo poo for halloween costumes though, like when there's a whole fake upper body attached to your rear end that's built to look like it's carrying your real upper body around in a box

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I always like when people do that poo poo for halloween costumes though, like when there's a whole fake upper body attached to your rear end that's built to look like it's carrying your real upper body around in a box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvdvI8D4zEs

I like this costume that became popular a year or so ago.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That kid rules.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Maybe follow up with spitting out a bloody skeleton

I like how these followed each other.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dan Trachtenberg (10 Cloverfield Lane, Prey) making another Predator film. Badlands https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/2/9/dz624c59kew6a7r79zrhaxpl57aqas

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Dan Trachtenberg (10 Cloverfield Lane, Prey) making another Predator film. Badlands https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/2/9/dz624c59kew6a7r79zrhaxpl57aqas

I hope he got the world map, darts and d66 table of interesting time periods I sent him.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Mayans playing basketball with a Predator head.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Predators at the Kurultai after Genghis Khan's death.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
I’ve been doing an X-Files rewatch and just hit season 4 so I decided to intersperse episodes of Millennium as well. Just watched the pilot and it’s such a banger right off the bat! More Human Than Human followed by NIN’s Piggy on the soundtrack! Lance Henriksen and Terry O’Quinn. Amazing locations and atmosphere. Religious-tinged horror. A real darkness to it. Just great stuff. And I haven’t seen all of it so thrilled to watch 3 seasons!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
A black cat purposely walking in front of and tripping a Predator down a pyramid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

More predators let’s goooo

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Give me Predator vs. Gamera

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Do you think that a predator could be a dracula.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If it bleeds he can drink it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do you think that a predator could be a dracula.

The Justice League vs Predator comic had Predators giving themselves superpowers to fight the JLA, so all you need to do is have Predator vs Dracula and you’ll have a Pred become a vampire on purpose to fight him.