Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bird in a Blender posted:

No one has mentioned good ol Sage Rosenfels yet? He’s like one of the few guys I even remember.

Too famous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Bird in a Blender posted:

No one has mentioned good ol Sage Rosenfels yet? He’s like one of the few guys I even remember.

Lest we forget the Rosencopter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFPlWzUe7ug&t=270s

(just click on it I guess)

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 7, 2024

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Sash! posted:

I want to know how you arrive at $436,485 for something.

My guess is that its sort of like a terminal value calculation on a company, I haven't done one since business school so..........

My nephew was a CS major at a highly regarded program. Rather than student loans, someone paid for his portion of his schooling (he had a decent academic scholarship) and in return he owed them some percentage of his income for like 5-10 years. He took the extra step to negotiate a buyout. His first job was at Microsoft and he paid the backers off right away.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

wernox posted:

My guess is that its sort of like a terminal value calculation on a company, I haven't done one since business school so..........

My nephew was a CS major at a highly regarded program. Rather than student loans, someone paid for his portion of his schooling (he had a decent academic scholarship) and in return he owed them some percentage of his income for like 5-10 years. He took the extra step to negotiate a buyout. His first job was at Microsoft and he paid the backers off right away.

I think Evergreen State in Oregon uses a similar model. No tuition, but you owe a few percentage points of your income for like 15 years post grad or something.

My understanding is Australia has a similar system as well. There's a cash price for a class or degree, or you can take out a "loan" that is just like 4% of your future earnings for 20 yrs or something. My buddies down there claimed the cash price was scaled with earning potential. So like CS was way more eoxnsive than Art History, but the "loan" didn't relate to the cash price at all.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
when i was at Michigan a few of the students from other countries mentioned they were being sponsored by companies in a similar structure. i dont think it's unheard of

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

thats how tons of people finance MBAs so i assume it happens for bachelors as well

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Radia posted:

when i was at Michigan a few of the students from other countries mentioned they were being sponsored by companies in a similar structure. i dont think it's unheard of

Same, a lot of them require minimum GPAs and other stuff too. With out-of-state tuition these days it's probably better than dealing with a half mil in student loans.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Yeah, the concept of loans against future income isn't unique but it also has the potential to be super predatory and if the NCAA wanted to be actually useful, this is something they should actually move to legislate instead of dropping off a dude at the wrond place.

Like $436k for 15% has the company make it's money back after a little under $3 mill. A 7th round pick gets $3.9 mill. The company does eat the risk of the guy busting out and not making it at all, but for a good prospect, this seems like a really bad deal.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Declan MacManus posted:

they do these sorts of deals with baseball prospects all the time

they're hosed Up and Insanely Predatory and the people/places that do them bank on most of them not having long sports careers and being able to sink their claws in a few before they get challenged in court

And soccer, too, enticing poor South American players to sign away their earnings to agencies that have connections to Europe. It’s banned by FIFA now for a multitude of reasons after a bunch of scandals with double-dealing hedge fund ghouls and angry clubs.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/espnpr/status/1755345008431890798?s=46

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Since we're just listing players here are some of my faves from VT/UTK

Xavier Adibi
Vince Hall
Derrick Hopkins
Jayron Hosely
Ken Ekanem
Ryan Williams
Joshua Dobbs
Arian Foster
Eric Berry
Juaun Jennings

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

finally, someone to replace urban meyer’s rear end I hope

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Radia posted:

finally, someone to replace urban meyer’s rear end I hope

Big Noon Kickoff got a big head so the mouse had to shut it down, sorry you'll just have to avoid Fox Sports to not soil yourself with Urban's greaziness.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sometimes I remember how Penn State used to have lots of typically not good Italian guys because obviously that happened

Like:
Drew Astorino
Gino Capone
Paul Cianciolo
Chris Colasanti
Mike Gasparato
Angelo Mangiro
Chris Mauriello
Anthony Morelli
Tony Scirrotto
Matt Zanellato

But because it was Pennsylvania, you had to have a lot of guys with names with lots of extra letters and Zs too

Lee Kuzemchak
Mike Pawlikowski
Andrew Szczerba
Stefen Wisniewski
Zack Zeglinski
J.R. Zwierzynski

I did not include Paul Posluszny because he was too obvious to include and is the ultimate in "Pittsburgh area guy with incredibly Polish name."

Sash! fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 7, 2024

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sash! posted:

Sometimes I remember how Penn State used to have lots of typically not good Italian guys because obviously that happened

Like:
Drew Astorino
Gino Capone
Paul Cianciolo
Chris Colasanti
Mike Gasparato
Angelo Mangiro
Chris Mauriello
Anthony Morelli
Tony Scirrotto
Matt Zanellato

But because it was Pennsylvania, you had to have a lot of guys with names with lots of extra letters and Zs too

Lee Kuzemchak
Mike Pawlikowski
Andrew Szczerba
Stefen Wisniewski
Zack Zeglinski
J.R. Zwierzynski

I did not include Paul Posluszny because he was too obvious to include and is the ultimate in "Pittsburgh area guy with incredibly Polish name."

Don’t forget the Irish players like Frank O’Harris

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Let Corso retire, make Saban don the Headgear

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Cthulu Carl posted:

I assume this is the start of a transition away from Corso, maybe bring him out only for headgear and nothing else. He barely looks like he knows where he is sometimes.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

this is strictly business

gimme that dawg

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sash! posted:

Like:
Paul Cianciolo

lol I used to play baseball with his older brother. I know him as “annoying little kid yelling and throwing poo poo all over the dugout.”

I think Joe also played at PSU as a walk on.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

lol I used to play baseball with his older brother. I know him as “annoying little kid yelling and throwing poo poo all over the dugout.”

I think Joe also played at PSU as a walk on.

He did. I had to look him up. Linebacker that saw the field in 24 games and recorded 12 tackles.

Paul was a backup QB, so that name got buried in my memory.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

drat Dirty Ape posted:

He counted as Italian when he played for the Steelers though

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

pseudodragon posted:

Yeah, the concept of loans against future income isn't unique but it also has the potential to be super predatory and if the NCAA wanted to be actually useful, this is something they should actually move to legislate instead of dropping off a dude at the wrond place.

Like $436k for 15% has the company make it's money back after a little under $3 mill. A 7th round pick gets $3.9 mill. The company does eat the risk of the guy busting out and not making it at all, but for a good prospect, this seems like a really bad deal.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2024/02/06/florida-state-private-equity-fsu-football-conference-realignment-acc/?outputType=amp

Funnily enough FSU has the same plan to get out of the ACC

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it is funny when big institutional powers do it to themselves, though

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I just learned Retro Bowl has a college version. Also the PAC-12 Pacific Conference is intact.

Guess I know what I'll be doing while avoiding work today...

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Oh drat thank you for that heads up, love RB

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I don’t know how I missed that; you’d think they’d have given some notification from original RB. Now, off to manually enter hex codes for the entirety of Division 1.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

General Dog posted:

Yeah I don’t know how I missed that; you’d think they’d have given some notification from original RB. Now, off to manually enter hex codes for the entirety of Division 1.

Yeah, it looks like there's some teams missing (and at the start only a couple in each conference are offering jobs) but it's a good game just for conference names like LARGE X and Sun Sash.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I'm already much happier not dealing with NFL OT rules

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah, it looks like there's some teams missing (and at the start only a couple in each conference are offering jobs) but it's a good game just for conference names like LARGE X and Sun Sash.

As far as I can tell, everyone is there. It's unlicensed so the private schools are named after their cities. The uniform colors for most of the schools seem random.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I took the rational choice to only fix the names and colors of things as I play them.

My only real issues are that there's no good teams in a given season and the rankings are seemingly nonsense. I just finished a season last night where the national title game was between my undefeated team and 7-5 #3 UMass. They'd knocked off 8-4 #2 Minnesota. I've never seen an undefeated team and 1 loss teams are rare.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

My only concern is that I update a bunch of teams and then when they patch the new conference alignment for 2024 I have to do it over again.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

lol this got me

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

https://x.com/byjoelanderson/status/1755758039700058534

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

That’s like assuming everyone who vacations at the North Pole is there to see Santa Claus

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

https://x.com/IstayTRILLA/status/1755751863012467141?s=20

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

That poster would be very disappointed to learn how little the average recruit knows about politics

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1755782556388356412?s=46

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
how many jobs has BoB had this year?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

That poster would be very disappointed to learn how little the average recruit knows about politics

Slate’s Joel Anderson, aka Joel from Missouri City? Who played at TCU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

harperdc posted:

Slate’s Joel Anderson, aka Joel from Missouri City? Who played at TCU?

Then he should know that players don't know poo poo about politics or don't care. Nobody boycotted McDonald's at the Whitehouse. Dudes aren't turning down money from Auburn because Freese went to Trumpland.