Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i didnt look at it but why do we need another configuration thingy. or is this a programing language for generating configuration thingys. just use xml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

i didnt look at it but why do we need another configuration thingy. or is this a programing language for generating configuration thingys. just use xml

web "developers" will invent 10000 new failed markup languages rather than use something existing that works.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i have been told that part of why pkl is being released to the public is that it's hit the point inside apple where it would be a gigantic pain to migrate away from it and so they're confident they're going to be stuck maintaining it for the foreseeable future regardless

that is like thirdhand information though

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Bloody posted:

it's for generating things, so you mean "just use xslt"

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i do think its extremely funny that pkl has swift codegen but no xcode support

not even apple developers want to build poo poo for xcode. i assume they just open vscode to write pkl even if they're using its output in xcode

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

abraham linksys posted:

i do think its extremely funny that pkl has swift codegen but no xcode support

not even apple developers want to build poo poo for xcode. i assume they just open vscode to write pkl even if they're using its output in xcode

from everything i've heard about xcode, this is a wise and pragmatic decision

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

redleader posted:

from everything i've heard about xcode, this is a wise and pragmatic decision

it’s the itunes of ides

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

rjmccall posted:

brb, filing a radar to add openmp support to tkl just for you

the system works

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Visions of Valerie posted:

ah good, bindings for java, kotlin, swift, and go. you know, the languages people use

the languages people use where types and convenience matter, at least? if you use a plang then you can just shell out to the command line tool to generate json or yaml. if you use c++ or rust then you have chosen the path of suffering and deserve no sympathy.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Soricidus posted:

the languages people use where types and convenience matter, at least? if you use a plang then you can just shell out to the command line tool to generate json or yaml. if you use c++ or rust then you have chosen the path of suffering and deserve no sympathy.

if I wanted to use shell for things I'd be writing shell :)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't think i understand the workflow that leads to this mapping being important really.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if pkl starts to matter, someone will write a serde module for it before I have to care

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so both my kids learn coding in school and this pharmacist at work wants to move into the field (seems like a bad move job security wise)

anyway I was just thinking because of this, kids should start with shenzen io

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
kids should start with a simple but terrible programming language and then spend the rest of their lives unlearning the bad habits they acquired from it. go sounds like a good option

mystes
May 31, 2006

DELETE CASCADE posted:

kids should start with a simple but terrible programming language and then spend the rest of their lives unlearning the bad habits they acquired from it. go sounds like a good option
Start kids with c and make them think they always need to implement all data structures from scratch each time to convince them that programming sucks and scare them away

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

mystes posted:

Start kids with c and make them think they always need to implement all data structures from scratch each time to convince them that programming sucks and scare them away

i'm the hosed up one who started with c when i was like 12 and enjoyed implementing data structures a lot and welp

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

mystes posted:

data structures are a mistake. everything that's not an array or packed struct is an affront to god

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
teach kids prolog first

so they can destroy with facts & logic

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
teach kids logo

start with turtles and all the attendant benefits

then teach them the rest of the language and slowly, carefully inoculate them against becoming lispers by showing them a better homoiconic functional lang first

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

teach kids msp430 assembly. just cuz

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
teach 'em MUMPS, if that doesn't scare them off computer touching nothing will

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

kids have an overwhelming number of options to learn programming now if they want to.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah so that’s why curiously wondering if it’s helpful or not to teach them how computers work first

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

they don't work, that's the beauty of it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

so both my kids learn coding in school and this pharmacist at work wants to move into the field (seems like a bad move job security wise)

anyway I was just thinking because of this, kids should start with shenzen io

have they ever heard of "redstone" ?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
isn’t that a tool you replicate cpu’s in?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yes

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Dijkstracula posted:

they don't work, that's the beauty of it

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

data structures are a mistake. everything that's not an array or packed struct is an affront to god

arrays and packed structs are data structures

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

my kid’s first programming language was Turing, for which the Windows-only software was last updated on the day that one of her classmates was born (she is 16)

this year is Java, which she’s a little more excited about, and for which I am certain that the tooling will be better

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Subjunctive posted:

this year is Java, which she’s a little more excited about, and for which I am certain that the tooling will be better

are you frequently disappointed, then?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

are you frequently disappointed, then?

well, I reflect on my own work and contributions to society, so yes

but in this case the thing she was using before would crash 1 out of ~5 times she tried to run a program, so I feel good about the prediction

jetbrains, it’s your time to shine

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Subjunctive posted:

but in this case the thing she was using before would crash 1 out of ~5 times she tried to run a program, so I feel good about the prediction

I have a soft spot in my brain for Turing, even though I knew nothing about it until I was once living and working in Canada and co-workers mentioned it in passing. But that's a bummer.

James Cordy is still updating his implementation of Turing+, mostly in furtherance of TXL I think (which itself was finally made open source in late 2022), but it's just a traditional command line toolchain, absolutely not the attempt at the educational user-friendly tooling that original Turing was aiming for.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Subjunctive posted:

here's hoping they teach some relatively recent version of java and not like java 1.5.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Wheany posted:

here's hoping they teach some relatively recent version of java and not like java 1.5.

j2ee

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Internet Janitor posted:

teach kids logo

start with turtles and all the attendant benefits

then teach them the rest of the language and slowly, carefully inoculate them against becoming lispers by showing them a better homoiconic functional lang first

this is how you make a Lisper, it doesn’t inoculate, it foments

“what if you had a language like Logo, but without the warts that are there to make it a ‘teaching language’ instead of a real language?”

so please teach more Logo, it’s truly the best way to learn programming

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

leper khan posted:

arrays and packed structs are data structures

not quite

they’re representations of data structures!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

my kid’s first programming language was Turing, for which the Windows-only software was last updated on the day that one of her classmates was born (she is 16)

she can learn without taking a class in school, too

you should send her a pointer to Racket

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
To quote Data.Array:

quote:

arrays, which may be thought of as functions whose domains are isomorphic to contiguous subsets of the integers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Wheany posted:

Java 1.1 and AWT are perfectly sufficient for learning programming

at a trade school

otherwise stick with the tried and true SICP using Scheme