Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm sticking with the clashing part. There have been other solid blades, as dumb as it is, in Kira's mobile suit history. A new version of the grand slam would've been way more iconic aesthetically compatible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muike posted:

I'm sticking with the clashing part. There have been other solid blades, as dumb as it is, in Kira's mobile suit history. A new version of the grand slam would've been way more iconic aesthetically compatible

I am not really sure how the Grand Slam would have looked less, that thing was basically a hunk of metal roughly shaped into a sword.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arc Hammer posted:

Props to the Mikazuki for using the Katana for a few episodes with the Barbatos before deciding "nah, I like this better" and going back to bludgeoning weapons and giant claws.

"I finally figured out how to use this thing. It's not worth it, I'll just use a big club instead."

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ImpAtom posted:

I am not really sure how the Grand Slam would have looked less, that thing was basically a hunk of metal roughly shaped into a sword.

I don't fully disagree but it had more of a "techy" look even if it was very medieval. I get that the katana is an established physical blade weapon in seed but it just seems so out of place in this case

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

"I finally figured out how to use this thing. It's not worth it, I'll just use a big club instead."

While he did ultimately return to the club, the Gundam-sized Dragon Slayer had a decent run.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

muike posted:

I don't fully disagree but it had more of a "techy" look even if it was very medieval. I get that the katana is an established physical blade weapon in seed but it just seems so out of place in this case

Kira Yamato

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i am struggling against the ocean tide

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

ImpAtom posted:

The new enemy units have Femtech Armor which is anti-beam.

I mean they have that armor because someone wanted to give the Gundam a Katana

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That thing was too big to be called a sword.
Too big, too thick, too heavy, and too rough, it was more like a large hunk of iron.

(Sorry. Someone had to.)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

chiasaur11 posted:

That thing was too big to be called a sword.
Too big, too thick, too heavy, and too rough, it was more like a large hunk of iron.

(Sorry. Someone had to.)

Nice

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

swords are cool

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hammers are cooler. Especially when they're a ball and chain flail that isn't a hammer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Hammers are cooler. Especially when they're a ball and chain flail that isn't a hammer.

The Gundam Hammer is a meteor hammer, and I accept the Chinese definition of hammers because they're better at kung fu than you are.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Omnicrom posted:

"I finally figured out how to use this thing. It's not worth it, I'll just use a bigger club instead."

:colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Booky posted:

swords are cool

They are, but the way almost every mech has basically the same sword in a lot of Gundam settings is lame.

It's another thing I like about IBO. No beam sabers. Instead, everyone's got their own melee weapons ranging from practical to utterly absurd.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Don't beam weapons flat out not work against gundams due to their engines in IBO?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They have a coating that reflects beams

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's also just a plain fantastic bit of visual storytelling when a Calamity War-era Mobile Armor fires its beam weapon at a bog-standard grunt mobile suit, and the nanolaminate just shrugs it off like water.

Times have changed and tech has evolved.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also just a plain fantastic bit of visual storytelling when a Calamity War-era Mobile Armor fires its beam weapon at a bog-standard grunt mobile suit, and the nanolaminate just shrugs it off like water.

Simultaneously, it keeps advancing Ride's tragedy as he keeps surviving while people die for him, no matter how he tries. It's a pretty good little scene.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The only appreciable damage coming from the unshielded magazine in the suits rifle cooking off and blowing its hand off was such a good touch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You can really imagine what utter hell fighting one of things must've been pre-Gundams, because it just has a no-reload-required Beam Weapon to vaporize anything approaching it, and if you SOMEHOW are the lucky bastard to survive everyone else getting melted and get in close, even without the tail, you're dead anyway because it has near-instant reflexes and moves lightning-quick in close quarters.

Even the Gundam's can "just" negate the Beam Weapon, they still have to fry the pilot to try to keep up with it going all-out. And if you gently caress up and lose, the goddamn thing just starts repairing and rearming itself with its own minions.

I got the feeling the Dainsleifs were probably the last development in the War, because given what they do to a pair of Gundams, you could pretty easily extrapolate that doctrine to surprising Mobile Armors to eliminate them much more safely and consistently than bet on a 1v1 duel with a bloodthirsty child soldier.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

...was it a 1v1 duel? is it said that they wouldn't have gundams gang up on mobile armors for some reason?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

...was it a 1v1 duel? is it said that they wouldn't have gundams gang up on mobile armors for some reason?

Admittedly, I was just going off the Mika fight. I think one of the cutscenes from that mobile game also had a 1v1 Calamity War Era fight with an MA though, didn't it?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Admittedly, I was just going off the Mika fight. I think one of the cutscenes from that mobile game also had a 1v1 Calamity War Era fight with an MA though, didn't it?

2v1.

The MAs had two.(one watching, one fighting.) Didn't help.

(To be fair, they were of a lower order than Hashmal.)

Another small touch I love? When Chad goes to scrap with the MA to bait it into position, he drops his machine gun. Nobody calls it out, no focus. He just recognized how Ride lost his mech's hand and took measures to ensure he'd avoid the issue.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also a very telling piece of visual storytelling that a MA was built with both a beam cannon and nanolaminate armour. The Hashmal was a weapon of extermination, not just a weapon of war.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

chiasaur11 posted:

They are, but the way almost every mech has basically the same sword in a lot of Gundam settings is lame.

It's another thing I like about IBO. No beam sabers. Instead, everyone's got their own melee weapons ranging from practical to utterly absurd.

Big wrench and big scissors are pretty fun though.

Artum posted:

The only appreciable damage coming from the unshielded magazine in the suits rifle cooking off and blowing its hand off was such a good touch.

Didn't it also like, obliterate everything that wasn't a mobile suit though?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I think it's worth mentioning that, after factoring in Mika's absolute pragmatism when it comes to fighting, you realize that simply one of the best ways to deal with mobile weapons in IBO is to turn the pilot to jelly. You can make armor that deflects beams or is hard to cut through, but if you give the pilot 50Gs of acceleration when you baseball bat them with your giant club, they're gonna look like the one dude when he hit the ring in the Expanse and just got pureed by the forces involved. Heck the suit might even survive and you can just hose out the cockpit later when you salvage it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Warmachine posted:

I think it's worth mentioning that, after factoring in Mika's absolute pragmatism when it comes to fighting, you realize that simply one of the best ways to deal with mobile weapons in IBO is to turn the pilot to jelly. You can make armor that deflects beams or is hard to cut through, but if you give the pilot 50Gs of acceleration when you baseball bat them with your giant club, they're gonna look like the one dude when he hit the ring in the Expanse and just got pureed by the forces involved. Heck the suit might even survive and you can just hose out the cockpit later when you salvage it.

“Nothing but hamburger “

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmachine posted:

This literally happens to one of Carta's men when she stops the train to issue her challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB_gVIqvnWM

(Watch the background at 1:13 to see what happens when a man is hit with Mika's chainsaw-cutter/hammer)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

The Mobile Suit designers in PD thought of that too. It's why the cockpit tends to be right next to the Ahab drive for maximum inertial cancelling.

We see Mika have to do without in one episode. He didn't have a good time.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

The plumas, mostly.

Hashmael didn't really have time to get going, but the top order Ma's aren't just robot dragons, they are robot dragon factories.

While I doubt most mobile armors in the calamity war went 1v1 with whatever killed them, the people fighting them probably had to wad through a veritable army of drones just to get their shot at the big guy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

The plumas, mostly.

Hashmael didn't really have time to get going, but the top order Ma's aren't just robot dragons, they are robot dragon factories.

While I doubt most mobile armors in the calamity war went 1v1 with whatever killed them, the people fighting them probably had to wad through a veritable army of drones just to get their shot at the big guy.

The other factor is the Gundam pilots were competing for a High Score, so there's not a lot of incentive to cooperate when someone else might get the kill.

(The Seven Stars are all ranked by their MA kills, it's why a live Hashmal appearing was a major upset)

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The other factor is the Gundam pilots were competing for a High Score, so there's not a lot of incentive to cooperate when someone else might get the kill.

(The Seven Stars are all ranked by their MA kills, it's why a live Hashmal appearing was a major upset)

I always assumed that as post hoc. As in, Steve killed 6 dragons, so he is higher ranked, rather than people competing for rank.

The latter seems... Counterproductive in a life or death struggle against ravenous ai.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

I always assumed that as post hoc. As in, Steve killed 6 dragons, so he is higher ranked, rather than people competing for rank.

The latter seems... Counterproductive in a life or death struggle against ravenous ai.

The mindset of "I killed more MA's than you, therefore I'm Top poo poo", says a lot about what kind of people they might've been.

Also they were giant robots driven by child soldiers, and sound judgement's gonna be in short supply to begin with. Just looking at Tekkadan and child soldiers in general, you could totally see a military telling them they'll prosper the more they kill, because it makes them useful.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Rank being based on MA kills seems stupid, but it makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways. You just fought an apocalypse war that leveled society and had to manufacture unstable human superweapons to win it. Having a way to reintegrate those human superweapons back into your rebuilt society that is clear cut and rewards their service in a concrete way would go miles towards those human superweapons being willing to integrate into said society instead of turning on it and fighting Calamity War: The Epilogue. Having your ranking criteria be so simple and unambiguous would also help a lot to reduce friction, even if those criteria are kind of goofy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The mindset of "I killed more MA's than you, therefore I'm Top poo poo", says a lot about what kind of people they might've been.

Also they were giant robots driven by child soldiers, and sound judgement's gonna be in short supply to begin with. Just looking at Tekkadan and child soldiers in general, you could totally see a military telling them they'll prosper the more they kill, because it makes them useful.

We know a bit more about Agnika Kaieru, both from interviews and comments in the show and mobile game (really interested in how the finale to that is going to be released). He was basically a full on hot blooded super robot protagonist. His father invented the Mobile Armors and the Gundams (still unclear if that's a "My God, what have I done? I have to make up for this!" thing or a "Just as planned" thing.) and his best friend was Gargin Bauduin, Gaelio's great grandpa and the second place finisher for kills.

So, seems likely there was some good intent in the setup... but also a lot of immaturity. I mean, Rustal's family founder was an absolutely gigantic weeb. That says a lot about the initial seven stars in general.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Most likely the apocalyptic war with Skynet that destroyed all world governments left the child soldiers with unstoppable giant robot super weapons and no one to reign them in. So they declared themselves kings of the world and being kids, larped as medieval knights because wouldn’t you?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Most likely the apocalyptic war with Skynet that destroyed all world governments left the child soldiers with unstoppable giant robot super weapons and no one to reign them in. So they declared themselves kings of the world and being kids, larped as medieval knights because wouldn’t you?

I'd've LARPed as Coop from Megas XLR

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My assumtion has always been;

"Congratulations, now get out of the big robots and obey us".

*STOMP*

"How about no? Does No work for you? Cause we're in charge now".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Warmachine posted:

"MANEO! JUNG! ESPINO-":gibs:

I've been rewatching The Expanse recently and that entire episode is still loving brilliant.