Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

No, they're more K-9 than Turner and Hooch.

There's no rule that says a golden retriever can't interview a brutal dictator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Tucker is obviously a complete moron, but a journalist interviewing the leader of the enemy isn't treason, it's just the 1st amendment being practiced.

I don't think you know what the words journalist or interview mean.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

tek79 posted:

Is it just me or does that Putin/Tucker interview come across as straight up treasonous? Not that Tucker is all that important anymore or that we're at war with Russia in the most direct sense, but we're allied with Ukraine and Putin undoubtedly regards the U.S. as his enemy. It's like Jane Fonda but in reverse. Conservative "journalists" jerking off adversarial dictators maybe isn't that new but the Tucker interview is really weird to me. Not to get all :tinfoil:, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Fox News never actually fully explained why they fired their biggest money maker, did they?

I just listened to the Tucker interview through the newest episode of Knowledge Fight and it... kinda reminded me of why it's a bad idea to go and talk to foreign dictators. Poor Tucker, all he had to do was continue to ride that line at Fox, and remember that it's all a show... now he has to set himself on fire weekly just to register with a fraction of his former audience.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol you can ask most people what month and day 9/11 or jan 6 happen and most of them would blank, and only half of that would be thinking on the meta level of "wait is this a fake out/trick?"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Neito posted:

I mean, a lot of people are also super certian that memory is like a camera pointed out your eyeballs; there's a lot of scams (mostly cold-reading style stuff) that relies on the fact that you can reliably re-enforce a false memory in certain ways.

They really do. The Mandela Effect is fun as a pop-pheonema, but I (foolishly) joined the associated Reddit at one point and it was common for people there to assign misremembering logos to shifting realities over faulty memory filling in the gaps with common cultural symbols.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PhazonLink posted:

lol you can ask most people what month and day 9/11 or jan 6 happen and most of them would blank, and only half of that would be thinking on the meta level of "wait is this a fake out/trick?"

Even if "most people" are as dumb and demented as you estimate, that doesn't mean you should make one of them President

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

PhazonLink posted:

I can remember what loving year it is though, or what year I worked different jobs. What a stupid comparison

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Putin out Cat Turds

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Disco Pope posted:

They really do. The Mandela Effect is fun as a pop-pheonema, but I (foolishly) joined the associated Reddit at one point and it was common for people there to assign misremembering logos to shifting realities over faulty memory filling in the gaps with common cultural symbols.

Mandela Effect stuff is wild because it so quickly went from "a phenomenon of mass false memories that prove our existance is weirder than we think it is" to "I'm a perfect dictaphone of ideas and so the fact that there's no cornacopia in the Fruit of the Loom logo proves that I'm a dimension hopper".

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

kazil posted:

:wrong:

Grassley is going to live forever. His secret? U kno what

The first floor bathroom in the Capitol?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

It does have a kind of Turner and Hooch vibe.

Strays.

Tucker is Doug, the human character. Putin is the dog poo poo all throughout the movie.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Neito posted:

Mandela Effect stuff is wild because it so quickly went from "a phenomenon of mass false memories that prove our existance is weirder than we think it is" to "I'm a perfect dictaphone of ideas and so the fact that there's no cornacopia in the Fruit of the Loom logo proves that I'm a dimension hopper".

:hmbol: Can I quote you?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Waffle House posted:

:hmbol: Can I quote you?

I mean, you just did, but in what context?

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

big mean giraffe posted:

I can remember what loving year it is though, or what year I worked different jobs. What a stupid comparison

If I didn’t have my resume on hand, I would struggle to remember the exact years I worked certain jobs. I’m only 36.

My memory just doesn’t work that way. I can remember the names of coworkers who I haven’t seen in a decade, but I can’t tell you what exact year my dad died.

Memory is a weird thing, and a lot of posters in this thread are dumb.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

big mean giraffe posted:

It really isn't I couldn't tell you the year anything in my life happened. I've never given it any thought. The date is useless extra information. My current job if I ever need my hire date I look at the day my user account was made in Active Directory.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Even the BBC is clowning on tucker

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Totbot posted:

If I didn’t have my resume on hand, I would struggle to remember the exact years I worked certain jobs. I’m only 36.

My memory just doesn’t work that way. I can remember the names of coworkers who I haven’t seen in a decade, but I can’t tell you what exact year my dad died.

You weren't ever the president of the united states though, surely you can see a little difference, especially when campaigns are literally referred to by the year they went on?

quote:

a lot of posters in this thread are dumb.
Yeah, we've all read your posts

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Neito posted:

It's pertinent to the thread, because it's indicative of the attitude that one is always correct, that all opinions are of equal important (although some are more equal than others) and that fascism and authoritarianism are okay actually if people who look and think like you are the ones wearing the boot.

I'm wrong all the loving time. I know very little about very little. And I believe the same to be true of the vast majority of people. I don't take being corrected or educated as a massive blow to my ego (although it's good if it's polite and non-condescending). Like, the best thing in life is finding out new poo poo - it's great!

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Maybe democrats will learn not to appoint republican pieces of poo poo like Merrick Garland or Robert Hur to important roles in the justice department out of a bullshit sense of :decorum: now.

Who the gently caress am I kidding.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Tai posted:

__| |__

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

big mean giraffe posted:

You weren't ever the president of the united states though, surely you can see a little difference, especially when campaigns are literally referred to by the year they went on?

Yeah, we've all read your posts

Feel free to continue to fall for more obvious republican bullshit and think I’m the dumb one.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Totbot posted:

Memory is a weird thing, and a lot of posters in this thread are dumb.

I know you are but... uh...

What was I just gonna say?

DAMMIT

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I know it's shocking but not everyone's brains store information the same way. Some store it by date others by person and still there's other ways beyond!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Totbot posted:

Feel free to continue to fall for more obvious republican bullshit and think I’m the dumb one.

Oh you got me, I 'fell' for watching Joe Biden clips where he can barely get a whole sentence out and seems confused and lost, it was all a Republican trick and not actual reality. You do know it's ok to criticize Democrats when they deserve it, right? You don't have to be an unabashed toady at all times

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

I'm kind of annoyed because long before the Mandela effect struck popular consciousness, I had the same idea as a setting for a scifi novel. I never found an interesting story or characters I wanted to use with the setting concept and so it goes. Not that I think it's the most wildly creative concept or anything, in fact I could only think of generic and obvious things to do with it, but it would have been nice to be ahead of the curve.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

big mean giraffe posted:

Oh you got me, I 'fell' for watching Joe Biden clips where he can barely get a whole sentence out and seems confused and lost, it was all a Republican trick and not actual reality. You do know it's ok to criticize Democrats when they deserve it, right? You don't have to be an unabashed toady at all times

The president themself is a figurehead, it's not important that Joe Biden could or couldn't personally defeat a dictator in hand-to-hand combat, he has a team for that-- the army. Similarly, it's not important that Joe Biden could or couldn't personally develop or even understand every single one of his policies, he has a team for that. The point is that the Biden administration is loving crushing it.

All he has to do is make the final decisions and accept the consequences of everything and demonstrate leadership.

And, more importantly, be more likeable than Donald Trump every 4 years.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Biden is old and has problems recalling things sometimes.

Trump is a twice-impeached failed businessman insurrection leading rapist who lies about every god drat thing.

They are exactly the same! if you have dementia

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tai posted:

Its amazing how being owned by Jon Stewart has resulted in Tucker punching himself in the face for years, and here he goes again.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

Its amazing how being owned by Jon Stewart has resulted in Tucker punching himself in the face for years, and here he goes again.

He should wear brass knuckles and try harder, then.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Most people's understanding of how memory works is...well they don't. That's why so many people think dementia/Alzheimer's is just really bad forgetfullness.

I only remember sailor.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Trump is a twice-impeached failed businessman insurrection leading rapist who lies about every god drat thing.

It's just such a transparent smear, Trump calls people whatever the gently caress he wants all the time.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Literally everyone would rather have a better president. Why is the USA so poo poo at picking leaders?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Neito posted:

I mean, you just did, but in what context?

It was well spoken; merits exhibit later in appropriate context.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Literally everyone would rather have a better president. Why is the USA so poo poo at picking leaders?

Most places are poo poo at picking leaders. The US just happens to have lots of nukular weapons

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

The UK would like to have a word

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Because the USA isn't picking poo poo, it's capital

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

jokes posted:

The president themself is a figurehead, it's not important that Joe Biden could or couldn't personally defeat a dictator in hand-to-hand combat, he has a team for that-- the army. Similarly, it's not important that Joe Biden could or couldn't personally develop or even understand every single one of his policies, he has a team for that. The point is that the Biden administration is loving crushing it.

By crushing "it" you mean Palestinian hospitals, right?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Waffle House posted:

It was well spoken; merits exhibit later in appropriate context.

Ah, then yeah, go for it.

Mandela Effect stuff is like my one weird rabbit hole that I'm just completely fascinated by.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Failed Imagineer posted:

By crushing "it" you mean Palestinian hospitals, right?

Partially, yes

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Yeah, but… which one has which letter after their name? That’s how I decide which one is funny!