Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

*Twitter voice* We can blame both Lying Todd Howard and lazy devs for Starfield! Both things can be true!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

syntaxfunction posted:

I shudder to think how many As the Sonic franchise has if it's due to inflation.

I searched Sonic inflation and didn't find anything useful.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has anyone checked in on timdog? Still sad?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

priznat posted:

Has anyone checked in on timdog? Still sad?

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Ruffian Price posted:

AAAA is the term for Destiny clones (at least when it comes to all the cruft around the main game loop, which can differ). They're supposed to be once in a generation titles that completely monopolize the attention of the entire gaming public, so of course everybody is now making ten of them in an industry version of Masayoshi Son's Vision Fund - you only need to hit the jackpot once.

Destiny clones? I dunno if those are AAAA games. AAAA games absolutely exist, and they are once in a generation and they do monopolize attention, but I think the category just represents a qualitatively different level of ambition and scope and attention to detail from AAA games. They are kinda by definition singular events.

The only company that makes them is Rockstar.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I have never heard of Tim dog before but I looked at his tweets and the guy can’t string more than eight words together without an error.

My diagnosis is brain damage (from video games).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

External Organs posted:

No word yet from Phil because he is trapped in Tartarus. Sad!
Bill Gates has his balls hooked up to several car batteries

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Is there any universe where microsoft is the sole console maker and is never allowed to own or operate a video game development company in any way?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I was reading that if you buy a japanese xbox 360 game it wont play on a US xbox. Any easy way around that or is emulation the only answer?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ruffian Price posted:

AAAA is the term for Destiny clones (at least when it comes to all the cruft around the main game loop, which can differ). They're supposed to be once in a generation titles that completely monopolize the attention of the entire gaming public, so of course everybody is now making ten of them in an industry version of Masayoshi Son's Vision Fund - you only need to hit the jackpot once.

But Destiny wasn't even that successful and Destiny 2 was a failure?

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Just took up Xbox gaming after a year and a half hiatus. Was now a bad time :v:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Flyndre posted:

It's a great time, there haven't been any new games to add to your backlog

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Crafty posted:

I have never heard of Tim dog before but I looked at his tweets and the guy can’t string more than eight words together without an error.

My diagnosis is brain damage (from video games).

I also have that it is nice

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Seltzer posted:

I was reading that if you buy a japanese xbox 360 game it wont play on a US xbox. Any easy way around that or is emulation the only answer?

I don’t think that’s true

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Seltzer posted:

Regionlocking on 360 is on a game-by-game basis, up to the publisher whether they enable it or not. Play-Asia has an incomplete game-by-game compability list.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seltzer posted:

As mentioned above, it depends. What Japan-exclusive game are you looking to get?

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think if the game is actually Backwards Compatible it'll actually bypass the region locking on an XB1/Series X.

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 9, 2024

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Thinking about the time Phil went on a podcast to apologize for Redfall. One of the weirder things I've ever seen a platform holder CEO ever do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKwfEQ1eEyM

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Flyndre posted:

I don’t think they are going to deactivate Xboxes just yet

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

elf help book posted:

I also have that it is nice

Diagnosis: Xbox®

Coming this fall to Netflix Game Pass powered by Microsoft

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
even if they stop releasing xbox games tomorrow the series x is still worth having for playing the good versions of Ninja Garden 1 and 2 and Panzer Dragoon Orta imho

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

even if they stop releasing xbox games tomorrow the series x is still worth having for playing the good versions of Ninja Garden 1 and 2 and Panzer Dragoon Orta imho

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

hatty posted:

blue dragon and lost odyssey

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Those too and Nier: Dad edition

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The BC team gave SSX3 a really good visual update and that game will forever own

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's the best way to play the Final Fantasy 13 series, if you're the kind of deranged sicko to put yourself through that. Just be sure to unplug your x boxes from the Internet by next week, because Phil is gonna send a signal that makes them explode

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

univbee posted:

As mentioned above, it depends. What Japan-exclusive game are you looking to get?

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think if the game is actually Backwards Compatible it'll actually bypass the region locking on an XB1/Series X.

Wrestle Kingdom. All the Ebay postings say its region locked to japan and wont work on a 360. I also dont see it on the backwards compatible list. So am I SOL? I still have my US 360.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

PriorMarcus posted:

But Destiny wasn't even that successful and Destiny 2 was a failure?

Edit - nm who cares

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 9, 2024

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Professor Beetus posted:

Just be sure to unplug your x boxes from the Internet by next week, because Phil is gonna send a signal that makes them explode

nah he gonna give us all red rings from how hARD HES loving US

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Seltzer posted:

Wrestle Kingdom. All the Ebay postings say its region locked to japan and wont work on a 360. I also dont see it on the backwards compatible list. So am I SOL? I still have my US 360.

This game looks really cool.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I hope Microsoft doesn't stop making consoles because the Xbox line has been better about backwards compatibility than its competitors.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Me and a few of the boys are going to storm Microsoft HQ, Jan 6th style.

Who’s with me? :weasel:

#NotMyCEO

Also update from today’s news: Microsoft ’s current market capitalization is $3.12 trillion, the highest for any company ever.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Microsoft is just a poor indie company that cant develop any more games. Didnt you pay attention to the FTC filings?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Crafty posted:

Me and a few of the boys are going to storm Microsoft HQ, Jan 6th style.

Who’s with me? :weasel:

#NotMyCEO

Also update from today’s news: Microsoft ’s current market capitalization is $3.12 trillion, the highest for any company ever.

No, cap!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Does anyone here work in the software development business? I have limited experience in it but from what I can tell all problems go back to “agile”. Hey let’s build a boat! Go ahead and launch it, it technically floats so we’ll just sail it while building it. And every two weeks we’ll change direction based on the whims of people not on the boat!

maybe waterfall was worse idk

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I said come in! posted:

This game looks really cool.

Yeah the roster looks badass too. But it looks like I can't play it on my 360. It and the sequel were on ps2 so emulation is an option but I dont have that set up atm. There's no way to play region locked 360 disc's somehow??

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Hey let’s build a boat! Go ahead and launch it, it technically floats so we’ll just sail it while building it. And every two weeks we’ll change direction based on the whims of people not on the boat!

This worked for Noah and the animals, so why not

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Does anyone here work in the software development business? I have limited experience in it but from what I can tell all problems go back to “agile”. Hey let’s build a boat! Go ahead and launch it, it technically floats so we’ll just sail it while building it. And every two weeks we’ll change direction based on the whims of people not on the boat!

hate to break it to you but this is now ALL project management not just software dev

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Seltzer posted:

Yeah the roster looks badass too. But it looks like I can't play it on my 360. It and the sequel were on ps2 so emulation is an option but I dont have that set up atm. There's no way to play region locked 360 disc's somehow??

You'll need to mod your 360, but I have no idea how to do that myself. The retro thread for xbox 360 might be better help. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3959317

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Seltzer posted:

Yeah I think without either modding your existing 360 or importing a Japanese 360 (which, oddly, do seem to have some bidders on Yahoo! Auctions) I don't think you'll be able to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Nah agile is just one manifestation of a greater problem. I would even say it makes more sense in software than any other setting (though games are a bit different, right - you're not so much solving a problem as you are making an entertainment product).