Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the integers, not the natural numbers? hosed up imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

incredible

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the integers, not the natural numbers? hosed up imo

like you've never used -1 to get the last element of an array

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
what's up with the fascination with Lips? I wrote a bunch of Lisp, it was interesting but I would rather go write Prolog than Lisp.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Xarn posted:

what's up with the fascination with Lips? I wrote a bunch of Lisp, it was interesting but I would rather go write Prolog than Lisp.

its the most influential plang of all time

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
if we study the progenitor, learn its weaknesses, then maybe we can finally rid this cursed earth of the entire lot!

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I don't know what it is but high school programming curricula are always so bleak

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
in my high school we had two computer classes: "how to type", and "the first three chapters of a visualbasic textbook while the teacher played solitaire"

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
When I was in high school, I read SICP and it inspired me to go into academic computer science. Now I work at a university and earn 50% of what my industrial peers do, but on the other hand one of my students came by today with a bag of home-made cookies, so it's not all bad. Consider reading SICP.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my last job was writing clojure in industry for figgies

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
i wish there were good lisp like clojure that compiled into binaries. i get why they don't but being able to cross-compile a binary and ship it to a remote machine to do work is v nice.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

just put it in a container, op, bing bang bong

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
fennel is a janky beta dealio but it exists

https://fennel-lang.org/

or janet, also jank

https://janet-lang.org/

the selling point of clojure is mainly that its not jank, but that's more a sign of the kinda peeps who touch clojure than any virtue of either the lang or lisps in general

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, my impression of clojure is very much that it is made by professionals, and any janky imitation will have lost 95% of the point

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Subjunctive posted:

just put it in a container, op, bing bang bong

love increasing my problems!!

but yeah, the no jank and literal hashmaps is a deal breaker for all of these cute lil lisps. i can just dream about parens i guess.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
me, crying: please, you can use java for teaching now. they fixed "public static void main". it even has a repl.

hello world now looks like this
code:
void main() {
    System.out.println("Hello, World!");
}
ah... don't look at the System.out, pretend that isn't there

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Wheany posted:

me, crying: please, you can use java for teaching now. they fixed "public static void main". it even has a repl.

code:
void main() {
}

Garbage.in Garbage.out

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i'd say "imagine extending logo with a bunch of first-class literals and a rich stdlib so you could do more with it out of the box"

but rebol already exists

i had some hopes for redlang, but then they went in on cryptocurrency, and, well, oof

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wheany posted:

code:
void main() {
}
wait java allows you to have functions outside of classes now? Or is that just for the repl?

I know c# finally added that (although I think it just compiles to static methods in an implicit class) but I thought java still hadn't.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

mystes posted:

wait java allows you to have functions outside of classes now? Or is that just for the repl?

I know c# finally added that (although I think it just compiles to methods in an implicit class) but I thought java still hadn't.

java 21 added unnamed classes and instance main methods, which enable the cleaner hello world

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wheany posted:

java 21 added unnamed classes and instance main methods, which enable the cleaner hello world
oh nice

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

java was always good for teaching. a small amount of boilerplate does not harm students nearly as much as you expect.

by comparison python has a severe issue in that loops are all iterator-based, and the recurring magic of things being iterable keeps their own code from being clear to them.

i still broadly favor python as a teaching programming language now, but that is a genuine sticking point.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

java 37
code:
main {
 out.println("Hello, World!")
}
java 68
code:
println("Hello, World!")
java 97
code:
println 'Hello, World!'
java 126
code:
print hello world

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I like groovy for teaching how to program because you can always fall back to java syntax as you go when you want to teach different concepts. Also the groovyConsole is kinda rad.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Internet Janitor posted:

java 37
code:
main {
 out.println("Hello, World!")
}
java 68
code:
println("Hello, World!")
java 97
code:
println 'Hello, World!'
java 126
code:
print hello world

68 and 97 are both valid Groovy syntax!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

literally preparing a presentation to argue the dept into switching from c to python for intro programming as we speak. the c intro works real badly, the struggling students get stuck on esoteric detail, while among the stronger students a weird "low-level" macho culture develops where they nonetheless produce mostly garbage code, fail to climb in abstraction, and will no doubt be a source of profit for security people in the future.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i think processing is excellent for teaching programming

easy to install, good performance, low boilerplate but close enough to normal java to provide a smooth transition, a simple environment that doesn't immediately beat you over the head with distractions and unnecessary complexity, you can easily save multi-platform executables

and most importantly you can immediately draw images and play sounds and do lots of interesting things out of the box

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
just start recommending decker and be done with it lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

we have a new guy starting on march 1st and he came by the office for lunch to meet people

im the only other coder here, so we talked and i was whinging about this decade old php/angularjs thing we have lurching around and he turned kinda white and i was like oh we also have some c# and whatnot and he visibly relaxed lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the option to use a dedicated teaching language is there, but there'd be some real upsides to a language with some scientific computing, math, and visualization credentials as we funnel a lot of engineering disciplines through our intro courses. we could split it up, but politically i kind of need an easy sell to kick c back up to "systems programming" where id argue it belongs

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the option to use a dedicated teaching language is there, but there'd be some real upsides to a language with some scientific computing, math, and visualization credentials as we funnel a lot of engineering disciplines through our intro courses. we could split it up, but politically i kind of need an easy sell to kick c back up to "systems programming" where id argue it belongs

i agree

python is a fine teaching language, despite its idiosyncrasies, and c is a bit too ~close to the metal~ in a way that gets in the way of teaching the basics. its great for systems stuff afterwards

teaching is about the concepts not efficiency, and you can easily do oo and/or functional in python. also its legal to kill the students who nest list comprehensions.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Carthag Tuek posted:

i agree

python is a fine teaching language, despite its idiosyncrasies, and c is a bit too ~close to the metal~ in a way that gets in the way of teaching the basics. its great for systems stuff afterwards

teaching is about the concepts not efficiency, and you can easily do oo and/or functional in python. also its legal to kill the students who nest list comprehensions.

i just taught my mentee list comprehensions and now he’s trying to cram them everywhere :allears:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Armitag3 posted:

i just taught my mentee list comprehensions and now he’s trying to cram them everywhere :allears:

lol :rip:

i mean they do have their place, but theyre waaaay overused

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i really like java as an intro language because it leads very naturally into the most important followup skills, encapsulation and data structures. python feels like a more approachable pure intro language but then it’s harder to teach those higher-level skills because python is pretty trash at them

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
I continue to be fond of my local university's strategy of regularly expecting students to learn new languages.

intro 1 is python
intro 2 is java
intro 3 is currently ocaml i think
and c is still required in the arch/os/numerical branch of required courses

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Standard ML is an excellent teaching language.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Athas posted:

Standard ML is an excellent teaching language.

at the time, i did pretty well with shorter programs but it turned out i didnt get it at all and anything more complex i attempted to make objects using namespaces & nobody told me why and how that was wrong

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Xarn posted:

there was a time when the mainstream languages people wrote actual software in did not have closures and higher-order functions were arcane black magic, so lisp seemed incredibly fancy

i do not particularly understand why people act like lisp is still special

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

Wheany posted:

It should also be noted that easier-entry-for-newcomers was the literal and only justification for adding that to the language. It serves no other purpose and I doubt it will be useful for much else.
I am not sure how I feel about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ocean of Milk posted:

It should also be noted that easier-entry-for-newcomers was the literal and only justification for adding that to the language. It serves no other purpose and I doubt it will be useful for much else.
I am not sure how I feel about that.

you can write procedural apps without the oo crud now hell yea