Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

This is extraordinarily depraved but will somehow be treated as a nothing burger. Our new normal sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
“He was put down so he wouldn’t hurt himself or anyone else,” said Sliwa, who has admitted in the past that he has fabricated stories of criminal behavior to sensationalize the issue of immigration.

:stare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Don’t forget that this guy was the GOP mayoral candidate last go around in NYC

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

PhazonLink posted:

e: also is this the npr piece?

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2024/02/07/conservapedia-right-wing-wikipedia

also iirc some of the other reasons Andy started his poo poo site was UK vs American spelling of words

Yeah that's it

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sekhmnet posted:

Holy lawsuits batman!

Fox Executives: Look after the Dominion Lawsuit, we have to be so careful over what we do. Want can't eat another costly Law Suit.

Sean Hannity: Hey guys we just captured this amazing footage, we need to broadcast it right now!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Fox Executives: Look after the Dominion Lawsuit, we have to be so careful over what we do. Want can't eat another costly Law Suit.

Sean Hannity: Hey guys we just captured this amazing footage, we need to broadcast it right now!

I'd be amazed if Hannity suffers any professional blowback from this.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also turns out not a migrant

https://bsky.app/profile/kenwhite.bsky.social/post/3kkux5el7xu2p

Though you’ll have to click on a Bluesky link to find out the victim is the only one being charged

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Ambitious Spider posted:

Also turns out not a migrant

https://bsky.app/profile/kenwhite.bsky.social/post/3kkux5el7xu2p

Though you’ll have to click on a Bluesky link to find out the victim is the only one being charged
The NYPD admitted they have no evidence on a brown guy having committed the crime he presumably got the poo poo beaten out of him for, the evidence for assault and battery by a bunch of white guys is not exactly hard to obtain, and of course that happens

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Islamic Shock posted:

The NYPD admitted they have no evidence on a brown guy having committed the crime he presumably got the poo poo beaten out of him for, the evidence for assault and battery by a bunch of white guys is not exactly hard to obtain, and of course that happens

It's hard out there when you've got that blue flu and are being pressured by the higher ups. Not to mention the fine upstanding citizens who accused him are probably known to you, so you gotta take their word for it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Meant to post that video yesterday but forgot.
The guy they assaulted looks Asian.
And Hannity just glosses over it and goes on to bitching about Harris.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1755061838352396558

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Tucker Carlson traveling halfway around the world just to get owned by the dictator he worships is a pretty expensive trip

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1755757290953515479

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
That interview really didnt make him look as good as he wanted it to.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's a very interesting trait for Putin that whenever he knows he's going to be recorded in a room with someone, he clearly gets research staff to set up some intimidation or sick own for him to "establish dominance." Speaks to his internal culture.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Vova in a lot of ways is the big tough daddy that Trump and the MAGA crew want Trump to be. Even more so before his oopsie two years ago cracked the glass.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Angry_Ed posted:

Tucker Carlson traveling halfway around the world just to get owned by the dictator he worships is a pretty expensive trip

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1755757290953515479

Heartbreaking: the worst person you know closes the circle and completes the ego death and professional implosion of tucker carlson that was set in motion October 15, 2004

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I do wonder why liberals don't do this either. Certainly stunts like this have an impact on conservatives.
https://twitter.com/IDoTheThinking/status/1755785375451378028?t=aFEPzP6UPdEi9PpwFEdkNg&s=19

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Panfilo posted:

I do wonder why liberals don't do this either. Certainly stunts like this have an impact on conservatives.
https://twitter.com/IDoTheThinking/status/1755785375451378028?t=aFEPzP6UPdEi9PpwFEdkNg&s=19

It's because this trick only works on conservatives. Liberals enjoy at least the appearance of empathy, so their response would be "oh no, that's awful, someone should do something to help those people :ohdear:" and then go back to their regular lives. Like, in that case, the "target" isn't the suffering people, it's the vague power structure that leads to the poverty and drug use, and that's a way hazier foe to rally against.

With conservatives, the target is absolutely the suffering people. "Ugh, look at all these homeless and druggies! The police really need to roll through this neighborhood in tanks to Clean Up The Streets."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Panfilo posted:

Liberals look down on those people as getting their just deserts for voting for conservatives.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

OgNar posted:

That interview really didnt make him look as good as he wanted it to.

Was there anything even interesting or redeemable? Asking about the mercenary insurrection of last year? How he sees the Russian state and silovki going on after himself?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Star Man posted:

Liberals look down on those people as getting their just deserts for voting for conservatives.

This seems to be the reason they're too chicken to do this. :ohdear: "If we point out how terrible red cities are it might upset white people that considered voting for us!".

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Panfilo posted:

It doesn't work as well on people who view tragedy with empathy instead of internal gloating about the presumed conditions of your tribal enemy

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Panfilo posted:

There are a lot of reasons that liberals (and I would say leftists too) don't do this:

1. The left space is much more fractured in ideology. Conservatives are not.
2. Grievance culture of right means if we went to say, the opioid ridden rural Ohio, the media would rail on this as being Democrats trying to make fun of everyday Americans.
3. The Daily Show does this in a way at MAGA events and say look at the stupid people and it never really moves the needle on anything.
4. Mean spiritedness doesn't drive people to the polls.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

It also validates their tactics. You don't fight the monster on their terms using their rules.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

So much projection in this thread

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Conservatives love to punch down. Most Dems/leftists don’t.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol Tiny Ben probably has a security detail off screen.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

His hand does not move from the lock button on the car door for the entire drive.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

big mean giraffe posted:

Have you met other liberals and leftists? A huge cohort of them would love nothing more than for them to have their faces eaten by the leopards they voted for--literally if possible.

There is no shortage of left-facing people who think anyone that votes conservative, is a bigot, or has whatever they deem to be regressive points of view gets what they deserve. Anyone who is stuck in those places that are victims of regressive policy are considered acceptable collateral. Anyone advocating that progressive policy should also benefit regressives are laughed out of the room.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

big mean giraffe posted:

you don't have to try to hard to find people in liberal spaces mocking southern states after natural disasters and poo poo. people are people and no group isn't filled with shitheads hating on those they see as beneath them

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm a little let down by Putin's interview, I expected more out of a former KBG Agent not a crusty old bitter historian? And Sharpio is really hitting the "rich guy in a car, being driven in the city" trope.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gucci Loafers posted:

I'm a little let down by Putin's interview, I expected more out of a former KBG Agent not a crusty old bitter historian? And Sharpio is really hitting the "rich guy in a car, being driven in the city" trope.

Reminder that Putin's time in the KGB was spent collecting press clippings, shredding documents, and schmoozing with dignitaries.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Gucci Loafers posted:

Putin has big "everyone around me in the last quarter century knows i might just kill them if i don't like them" energy

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i still think one of the better political logic razors is Putin is a great tactician but poor strategist.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i never get tired of these loving morons RTing obvious Bot accounts
https://twitter.com/JoeyMannarinoUS/status/1755037977439531211?t=yp0lYv27y1dzDqC-y-m3aQ&s=19

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Star Man posted:

Have you met other liberals and leftists? A huge cohort of them would love nothing more than for them to have their faces eaten by the leopards they voted for--literally if possible.

There is no shortage of left-facing people who think anyone that votes conservative, is a bigot, or has whatever they deem to be regressive points of view gets what they deserve. Anyone who is stuck in those places that are victims of regressive policy are considered acceptable collateral. Anyone advocating that progressive policy should also benefit regressives are laughed out of the room.

Most people advocating progressive policies are advocating for things that would be universal so I'm not sure how bolded works and I think you're full of poo poo tbh

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

Most people advocating progressive policies are advocating for things that would be universal so I'm not sure how bolded works and I think you're full of poo poo tbh

I have seen people bitch about disaster funding going to red states any time there's a flood or hurricane in them. I dunno what to tell you man, it's definitely A Thing that people view their political opponents as undeserving of what they themselves feel entitled to. It's not that nuts of a concept--people pick teams for politics, much more than they examine policy and values. How many people do you know who have the exact same politics (or near enough) as their parents, vs. people who have gone completely in a different direction? I'd say in my experience the ratio is like 80/20. That's not evidence of people carefully considering the issues.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

selec posted:

I have seen people bitch about disaster funding going to red states any time there's a flood or hurricane in them. I dunno what to tell you man, it's definitely A Thing that people view their political opponents as undeserving of what they themselves feel entitled to. It's not that nuts of a concept--people pick teams for politics, much more than they examine policy and values. How many people do you know who have the exact same politics (or near enough) as their parents, vs. people who have gone completely in a different direction? I'd say in my experience the ratio is like 80/20. That's not evidence of people carefully considering the issues.

The initial assertion was that most conservatives like to punch down and that leftists/libs don't. I don't think you have to look any further than the difference between media outlets like fox/oan etc and CNN or other center/center right media to see there is a pretty wide gulf. I think most people are seeing this poo poo on Twitter or hearing people in their circle say it, which, imo, is not indicative of a widespread problem. I don't see any evidence beyond people's anecdotes that "the left" likes to punch down as hard as the right.

e: in fact I've seen many leftists on SA push the idea that if you provide people material benefits than they will vote for people providing them, and that social issues are a distraction. Which isn't born out by the evidence which shows that tRumps base is primarily upper middle class white people living comfortably who are nonetheless driven by bigotry and fear

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 9, 2024

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Professor Beetus posted:

The initial assertion was that most conservatives like to punch down and that leftists/libs don't. I don't think you have to look any further than the difference between media outlets like fox/oan etc and CNN or other center/center right media to see there is a pretty wide gulf. I think most people are seeing this poo poo on Twitter or hearing people in their circle say it, which, imo, is not indicative of a widespread problem. I don't see any evidence beyond people's anecdotes that "the left" likes to punch down as hard as the right.

e: in fact I've seen many leftists on SA push the idea that if you provide people material benefits than they will vote for people providing them, and that social issues are a distraction. Which isn't born out by the evidence which shows that tRumps base is primarily upper middle class white people living comfortably who are nonetheless driven by bigotry and fear

Idk what to tell you besides you’re lucky to not have encountered punch-down libs or leftists I guess. People are assholes sometimes even when they have Good Politics.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Idk what to tell you besides you’re lucky to not have encountered punch-down libs or leftists I guess. People are assholes sometimes even when they have Good Politics.

I mean the key word being "most" is what I am disputing, I think that's a claim that actually requires some evidence. I have definitely met folks like that and I have not been above having the occasional bad thought or saying something lovely out of frustration. It's meaningfully different from the right wing, which regularly pushes punching down rhetoric in its media and filters down into regular right wing views and politics. It's a driver of their political philosophies. That is not the same as some wine mom on Twitter mouthing off about dumfuckistan or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah the argument isn't that there's no audience for that kind of thing on the left. The argument is that there's less of an audience than there is on the right that allows it to be such an effective mainstream propaganda tool. You can basically go with one of two theories. Either its not a thing on the left to a wide degree because the values of the left are such that they make it broadly distasteful. Or there's functionally no difference between the values of people on the left and the right and everyone on the left is just too stupid to use these tools because of virtue signaling or something.

I think that with podcasts and youtube and all obviously the audience that DOES exist is louder and there are people on the left engaging in it either as creators or consumers. And those people are more likely to take the stance that there's nothing wrong what they're doing and anyone who says anything like "punching down" are just full of poo poo. Or that anyone who doesn't engage with this stuff are out of touch instead of acknowledging they're own bubble of stuff.