Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

Telesco has about as many connections as Bellichick if all he can do is hire former Chargers guys lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

OneMoreTime posted:

This made me look up the the Jets draft history and it made me remember that in 2000, the Jets had four first round picks, which they proceeded to spend on:

12. Shaun Ellis (DE)
13. John Abraham (DE/LB)
18. 2-time comeback player of the year Chad Pennington (QB)
27. Anthony Becht (TE)

Like granted, the first two rounds of the draft post-pick 11 weren't exactly full of must-have players (except maybe Shaun Alexander and Keith Bullock) but imagine having four first rounders and getting 1 good player, another good player who would spend the majority of his career on other teams, a QB who was good when he wasn't injured (he was always injured) and whatever Anthony Becht got up to. Just euuuuggh

They drafted 4 players in the first round and all 4 had 10+ year NFL careers. That's incredible.

They eventually traded Abraham for a 1st rounder, that they then used on Nick Mangold. They also got Laveranues Coles in the 3rd. This was a home run draft by any measure.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

aperion posted:

Telesco has about as many connections as Bellichick if all he can do is hire former Chargers guys lmao

I mean it makes sense to bring along guys you've worked with before if you respect their abilities and can work well together. I've had former bosses try (and sometimes succeed!) to poach me for their new company the millisecond their non-competes expired lol.

I don't know how this explains Belichick's fixation with Matt Patricia, however, since he is a horrible coach professionally and a loathsome rear end in a top hat personally :iiam:

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Docjowles posted:

I don't know how this explains Belichick's fixation with Matt Patricia, however, since he is a horrible coach professionally and a loathsome rear end in a top hat personally :iiam:

Patricia would be virtually unemployable without Belichick's word backing him up, so his loyalty is guaranteed.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Diva Cupcake posted:

They drafted 4 players in the first round and all 4 had 10+ year NFL careers. That's incredible.

They eventually traded Abraham for a 1st rounder, that they then used on Nick Mangold. They also got Laveranues Coles in the 3rd. This was a home run draft by any measure.

Two of those players played the majority of their careers for other teams, though that's a good point for Abraham, I didn't realize he got traded for the first that led to Mangold. Pennington himself was a good quarterback but he was constantly injured. He only played one full season for the Jets (though he did get close in 2002 and 2004, playing 15 games and 13 respectively).

I guess my point more with that it's more proof that even when they have a bounty, the Jets are cursed in the draft beyond measure. I don't blame them for the players they picked necessarily, there wasn't a whole lot of great players in the positions but it's like god themselves wanted to make sure that even when they got such an amazing amount of picks, it was going to be in a year with the least effect. Like if it was the following year and they had the same picks in the same positions they would've had a chance at Steve Hutchinson, Drew Brees, Reggie Wayne, Todd Heap and Alge Crumpler, all who were drafted within the first two rounds past Pick 12. It just feels ridiculously unlucky to get those picks that year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

OneMoreTime posted:

Two of those players played the majority of their careers for other teams, though that's a good point for Abraham, I didn't realize he got traded for the first that led to Mangold. Pennington himself was a good quarterback but he was constantly injured. He only played one full season for the Jets (though he did get close in 2002 and 2004, playing 15 games and 13 respectively).

I guess my point more with that it's more proof that even when they have a bounty, the Jets are cursed in the draft beyond measure. I don't blame them for the players they picked necessarily, there wasn't a whole lot of great players in the positions but it's like god themselves wanted to make sure that even when they got such an amazing amount of picks, it was going to be in a year with the least effect. Like if it was the following year and they had the same picks in the same positions they would've had a chance at Steve Hutchinson, Drew Brees, Reggie Wayne, Todd Heap and Alge Crumpler, all who were drafted within the first two rounds past Pick 12. It just feels ridiculously unlucky to get those picks that year.

You are calling out a draft after which period (2000 through like 2010) the Jets were solidly in the upper half of the league in terms of success. They were over 500 8 of those 11 years, made the playoffs 6 times, won playoff games and were all and all the most competitive they have ever been in their history.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Good move

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1755738660417441968?t=GrtFBfOMXR1O8w4nVVgkzg&s=19

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

mcmagic posted:

You are calling out a draft after which period (2000 through like 2010) the Jets were solidly in the upper half of the league in terms of success. They were over 500 8 of those 11 years, made the playoffs 6 times, won playoff games and were all and all the most competitive they have ever been in their history.

It brought them six playoff wins, four of which were from 2009 and 2010, when only one of those players from the 2000 draft was even left.

Once again, I don't blame them for who they picked at the time. I'm saying that it's unlucky to have that sheer amount of picks in THAT draft, when there were other drafts where it seems like they could have added a ton of talent to their team.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

OneMoreTime posted:

It brought them six playoff wins, four of which were from 2009 and 2010, when only one of those players from the 2000 draft was even left.

Once again, I don't blame them for who they picked at the time. I'm saying that it's unlucky to have that sheer amount of picks in THAT draft, when there were other drafts where it seems like they could have added a ton of talent to their team.

You are arguing an insane side of this. There is not one Jet fan in the world who doesn't think that draft was a unmitigated success.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Should've saved those draft picks for a year and drafted four Gronks.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1755766258514239539?s=46

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

too bad.. i don't think rex is getting back in at this point

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
dang it. good hire

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't think it's a bad hire but I do think it's very funny that McCarthy and Zimmer are now coaching together.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Another has-been retread lmao

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
I would like to see all former NFC North head coaches combine like Voltron to fill the Cowboys coordinator positions

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

Another has-been retread lmao

He’s very good.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Nervous posted:

I would like to see all former NFC North head coaches combine like Voltron to fill the Cowboys coordinator positions

Since this implies the idea of Matt Patricia wandering the Cowboys sideline, I'm on-board.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
it's wild that the Cowboys didn't fire Fat Mike and will still end up having a better coaching staff next season

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
It's so dumb they didn't just fire Fat Mike now instead only to run it back in an inevitable failure where he then gets fired and they bring in Bill

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Nah it's brilliant strategy to throw away a season by keeping a poo poo coach who's a proven loser for no loving reason. Just like my eagles. Nfc east is a trendsetter for self sabotage.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Stink Fartindale to be Michigan's new DC

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nervous posted:

I hear Lovie Smith has lots of free time these days. His coaching DID lead directly to the Texans drafting Stroud and immediately turning the franchise around... :thunk:

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/TomPelissero/status/1756035265553113386?s=20

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Great hire. Bowman was a brilliant technician at LB.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Chip Kelly is going to Ohio State to be OC. Wild Ride 2.0 is on hold

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Coldforge posted:

Great hire. Bowman was a brilliant technician at LB.

Huh. Neat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Power move to grab the Sandstorm guy.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Another OC off the board

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1756029884525085166?s=19

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thank God Seattle won't accidentally hire him.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Seems weird to go from being a college coach to being a college OC without being fired.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

Seems weird to go from being a college coach to being a college OC without being fired.

He was on the hot seat for most of the year and really only saved his job by thumping USC. He could very well end up fired at the end of next year. Also, he hates recruiting.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Chip wants out of ucla bad

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

UCLA in the Big Ten now, Chip doesn't want to get his face smashed in every week. Also doesn't want to deal with the wild west of recruiting and NIL money.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Chippy was 35-34 at UCLA which for a program as big as that is pitiful. He's not gonna get any big name HC job in college.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I just figured an ncaa investigation and sanctions were incoming

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
UCLA would've had to pay like $8 million if they fired Chip so it was the rare "mutually parting of ways" that's actually mutual

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Is it just me or does he look like an NPC

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kiimo posted:

Is it just me or does he look like an NPC

I read his name as Aden Dude and i thought the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

If he doesn't refer to the players as chaps or lads I'm going to be severely disappointed in this hire.