Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kestral posted:

That’s a shame, Lightning Source did some very nice books back in the day. I wonder what print shop Burning Wheel HQ uses, because goddamn those are some nice books at shockingly low prices.

Yeah, those are stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I love capitalism. "One of the guys who the guy the guy you bought from subcontracts to subcontracts to subcontracts to sucks. Whatcha gonna do?"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You raise a big enough sink they change their entire supply chain to your whim, duh. Of course that would require knowing what kind of print heads they use and what glossy paper goes good with that.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kwyndig posted:

You raise a big enough sink they change their entire supply chain to your whim, duh. Of course that would require knowing what kind of print heads they use and what glossy paper goes good with that.

So you're saying Twitter would be better if Elon had showed up with like a commercial restaurant-style sink?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Twitter would be better if Elon had any clue as to what he's doing besides feeding red meat to trolls

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm not really sure where to ask this but:

I'm running a game with battlemaps on a TV embedded into the table - so the maps are on the screen with minis placed directly on the screen*. Is there a good option for displaying maps? I tried Irfanview which was fine except for when I would accidentally mouse over the map and everything would go haywire, so I've switched to owlbear.rodeo which goes much less haywire when I do, but I'd like something I can lock with a key combo or something.

Anyone know of anything I could use or a way to completely lock mouse input out of owlbear.rodeo? The computer hooked to the table is Windows 11 and I also use it to run comp/con during fights.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
How big is this TV? What kinda screen is it? I need pics!

Sorry i can’t help with your question

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

ninjoatse.cx posted:

How big is this TV? What kinda screen is it? I need pics!

Sorry i can’t help with your question

Looks like about 40" LCD and I haven't thought to take any pictures.

It's real well-done too. The guy who hosts that game got this table as a housewarming gift from a player in a different group he's in. It's gigantic, heavy as all hell, completely handmade, and I will eternally be jealous of it.

Whether or not I get any other answers I'll take some pictures Thursday during our next game!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

My suggestion is to set the map as the desktop background, then clear everything off the desktop. That gives you the image on display in a mode where you simply cannot accidentally gently caress with it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm not really sure where to ask this but:

I'm running a game with battlemaps on a TV embedded into the table - so the maps are on the screen with minis placed directly on the screen*. Is there a good option for displaying maps? I tried Irfanview which was fine except for when I would accidentally mouse over the map and everything would go haywire, so I've switched to owlbear.rodeo which goes much less haywire when I do, but I'd like something I can lock with a key combo or something.

Anyone know of anything I could use or a way to completely lock mouse input out of owlbear.rodeo? The computer hooked to the table is Windows 11 and I also use it to run comp/con during fights.

I would think a lightweight VTT like Owlbear Rodeo would be all you'd need.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Does anyone know of any RPGs based on 1900's America (+/- 20 years) that aren't 'pulp' or western? There was a lot of weird spiritualism and proto-unionization around this time and I had an idea for a setting and wanted to see what else was out there.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Twobirds posted:

Does anyone know of any RPGs based on 1900's America (+/- 20 years) that aren't 'pulp' or western? There was a lot of weird spiritualism and proto-unionization around this time and I had an idea for a setting and wanted to see what else was out there.
Towards the end of that period you have prohibition and the rise of organized crime, and there are a smattering of old games in that genre (TSR's Gangbusters, FGU's Gangster!, etc. - but, oddly, no GURPS book) where you can do the Al Capone and Elliot Ness thing.

Other than that, I can't think of any.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

FMguru posted:

Towards the end of that period you have prohibition and the rise of organized crime, and there are a smattering of old games in that genre (TSR's Gangbusters, FGU's Gangster!, etc. - but, oddly, no GURPS book) where you can do the Al Capone and Elliot Ness thing.

Other than that, I can't think of any.

Did S John Ross ever release his detective game? He spent so much time on it when I was in Austin and played games with him.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Twobirds posted:

There's Cthulhu by Gaslight which is 1890s but England. Can't think of anything else that's explicitly set in Gilded Age/Progressive Age America, though.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Yeah, late 1800s is the Victorian era, which also means steampunk. Most steampunk stuff is British-focused, but there was a very good American supplement for the Castle Falkenstein RPG (called Six Guns and Sorcery) that might be worth looking at.

Deadlands is mostly Weird Wild West, but the line sprawled enough that they had supplements for places and events that beyond just Deadwood and the OK Corral.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Hypnobeard posted:

There's Cthulhu by Gaslight which is 1890s but England. Can't think of anything else that's explicitly set in Gilded Age/Progressive Age America, though.

Similarly, The Yellow King RPG is still in Belle Epoque Paris. The default suggestion is you are playing American students or émigrés to France and I suppose there's no reason you couldn't travel to America.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

PuttyKnife posted:

Did S John Ross ever release his detective game? He spent so much time on it when I was in Austin and played games with him.

Nope. Hope springs eternal, though.

Casting The Runes is a GUMSHOE game based on M.R. James stories; it’s British but Edwardian Era. Forgotten Futures might help — it’s not all that organized but it’s a treasure trove.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Thanlis posted:

Casting The Runes is a GUMSHOE game based on M.R. James stories

Welp, time to make another purchase for the "will never run this but will live in hope" bookshelf (multiple bookshelves)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Marcus Rowland's Forgotten Futures is all in that time frame.

https://www.forgottenfutures.com/forgottenfutures-uk/ff.htm

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Ex-Fortnite devs' 'collaborative RPG' Project ORCS aims to let you make your own Baldur's Gate 3

quote:

Former Fortnite and Blizzard developers have formed new studio Lightforge Games to make a multiplayer RPG that applies the collaborative world-building and storytelling of original tabletop Dungeons & Dragons to the polished video game presentation of its successors in the likes of Baldur's Gate 3.

Project ORCS, as the game is currently codenamed - with ORCS being an acronym for “Online Roleplaying with Collaborative Storytelling” - is effectively a few steps up from tools like Roll20 and Tabletop Simulator that allow pen-and-paper roleplayers to play online by providing a digital simulation of miniatures, dice and so on. The result is a mix of editor mode and traditional co-op RPG, as players can serve as something akin to a dungeon master as they make their own homebrew adventures from scratch or simply jump into a premade campaign - either by the game’s devs or other players - with pals.

That editor can be used by itself to craft characters, environments and encounters before the group plays, or edited in real-time - much like a DM riffing around the table and reacting to dice rolls - as up to five players explore led by their Guide. You’ll be able to carefully customise your character in a character creator, picking from a selection of classes and species, before you jump in, too.

As you’d expect from a D&D-like RPG, players can level up their characters across multiple quests, returning to a home base that they’ll also be able to upgrade and expand. Guilds are also planned, allowing players to form larger groups who share a world they’ve built together.

The whole thing looks very slick in its reveal trailer, with Lighthouse CEO Matt Schembari’s work as a lead engineer at Blizzard and UI director at Epic Games - including on Fortnite’s battle royale mode - easy to see in the clean interface and social interaction between players.

Project ORCS Offical Announcement Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypiv61tvPMI

“We’ve set out to make a roleplaying experience that has never been attempted before in the games industry. We’re calling it a Collaborative Storytelling RPG or CSRPG,” Schembari said. “Project ORCS is a collaborative game that will give new and old RPG fans a way to create their own stories on an interactive canvas.”

Whether that ambitious aim pans out remains to be seen, but we’ll be able to see for ourselves soon enough. Project ORCS is due to launch into early access later in 2024.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They're going to need a real name for it other than project orcs. Sounds too much like a bridge builder simulator from just the name.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Somewhere in the dark depths of the internet, the dread host of Neverwinter Nights Persistent World players stirs. Soon - soon - the time of erotic succubus tavern roleplay will be upon us once more. Look upon their works, ye mighty, and despair.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kwyndig posted:

They're going to need a real name for it other than project orcs. Sounds too much like a bridge builder simulator from just the name.

I think this also overlaps with the name for Paizo's open license intiative?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's the ORC yes which is already an established thing with several companies having signed in to use it.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Why are we talking about the hit John Wick game, Orkworld?

Because I didn't think anyone remembered it.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
These are cool suggestions, thank you. Can't believe I forgot about that Castle Falkenstein supplement, I love Falk!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Twobirds posted:

These are cool suggestions, thank you. Can't believe I forgot about that Castle Falkenstein supplement, I love Falk!

I was one of the playtesters for Six Guns and Sorcery and it contains the minimum daily requirement of Emperor Norton and Sam Clemens

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Bucnasti posted:

I would think a lightweight VTT like Owlbear Rodeo would be all you'd need.

I've been using that for a few weeks but it all fucks up when I accidently mouse over the window and scroll the mousewheel. I was hoping there would be an extension to add a button to lock all input until you hit the button again that would be perfect.

mllaneza posted:

My suggestion is to set the map as the desktop background, then clear everything off the desktop. That gives you the image on display in a mode where you simply cannot accidentally gently caress with it.

I'm going to try this for next week, that's a good idea!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Try something like this?

https://keyfreeze.com/

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

bbcisdabomb posted:

I've been using that for a few weeks but it all fucks up when I accidently mouse over the window and scroll the mousewheel. I was hoping there would be an extension to add a button to lock all input until you hit the button again that would be perfect.

I'm going to try this for next week, that's a good idea!

Is there any chance you have a second laptop or whatever that could connect to the tv seperate from your main computer. Then you could use foundry/fantasy ground/roll20 or whatever other thing as a client and then share to that client from your main computer.r that's how I've run my tables and it also doubles up as useful for sharing combat trackers etc without giving away DM info

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

I'm trying to remember the name of a rules-light D&D-style RPG that had a table that you would roll on for spell effects. One column had adjectives for the spell, like "transmogrifying," and the other column had nouns, like "lightning". So you'd roll two dice and come up with a spell name like "mournful detonation". Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I thought it was Knave but I just checked that and it wasn't there.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tenebrous Tourist posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a rules-light D&D-style RPG that had a table that you would roll on for spell effects. One column had adjectives for the spell, like "transmogrifying," and the other column had nouns, like "lightning". So you'd roll two dice and come up with a spell name like "mournful detonation". Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I thought it was Knave but I just checked that and it wasn't there.

Knave 2e?

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Megazver posted:

Knave 2e?

Ahahaha yup that’s it! Thanks!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Is mournful detonation just bursting into tears?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The Magnificent Beer Skeleton

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Leraika posted:

Is mournful detonation just bursting into tears?

You curse someone to explode if they feel sad or tear up. It's a part of a two spell combo with the Noxious Intoxicating Onion.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

I'm the petrifying oatmeal skin.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The Excellent Snow Cone

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've been reading Wildsea and the following image sums up my feelings about the game:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lemon-Lime posted:

I've been reading Wildsea and the following image sums up my feelings about the game:

Reading Wildsea is cool and good and more people should try it.