Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Horizon Burning posted:

grammarly was really useful for a while but i dropped that poo poo the moment they made noise about feeding everything into an AI

lol that they're definitely skimming and copying everyone's documents, confidential or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Exiting hardware and focusing on just software worked really good for SEGA.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I'm a big fan of chrome add-ons that ask you for the big list of permissions. Read/delete files? Read/send email? Sure buddy, go for it. It's just the way Google implements security, we definitely aren't scraping all your stuff. Don't think too hard about it just hit accept.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

skooma512 posted:

Exiting hardware and focusing on just software worked really good for SEGA.

lack of hardware will allow us to poo poo further on our flagship IP that is currently already in the dumpster

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Palladium posted:

lack of hardware will allow us to poo poo further on our flagship IP that is currently already in the dumpster

hey that Sonic film series is making someone a lot of money

probably not sega but that ain't hollywood's concern

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

1000 employees for a grammar checker

Honestly that sounds more useful than 99% of what these tech startups are making

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

do they have any linguists or teachers or writers or did they do the usual silicon valley thing and say "let's disrupt this archaic industry" and spend their first 5 years "discovering" a college 101 level understanding of their industry

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

triple sulk posted:

The campaign was horrible and I stopped after a couple hours or so iirc

its incredibly funny when stat after stat says >80% of gamers buy games only for the SP campaign and,

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

err posted:

i think they are moving it to PS4/5

there has been lots of talk about Xbox games going to PS5 and Xbox exiting the console market

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/1754598552548904973

They're finishing this fight

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

sleep with the vicious posted:

Grammarly has some of the most tech bubble careers pages I have ever seen. What the gently caress

M. O. V. E.

the M stands for move!

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

do they have any linguists or teachers or writers or did they do the usual silicon valley thing and say "let's disrupt this archaic industry" and spend their first 5 years "discovering" a college 101 level understanding of their industry

Search your feelings, you know them to be true

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Vox Nihili posted:

Honestly that sounds more useful than 99% of what these tech startups are making

Grammarly's entire business model is replicating the blue squiggly underline that MS Word gives you when you use the passive voice.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

replication of the MS word squiggly line when passive voice occurs and the business model of Grammerly coincide

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

In Training posted:

statistically you dodged dozens

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
does microsoft profit anything from titles on pc? consoles used to be lossleaders, with revenue made up from licensing games for the system. windows doesn't have similar barriers.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

RealityWarCriminal posted:

does microsoft profit anything from titles on pc? consoles used to be lossleaders, with revenue made up from licensing games for the system. windows doesn't have similar barriers.

They want to via windows store, but also windows store embraced the signed app model and doesn't really work with mods at all. Value of stuff through Steam/EGS/GOG/random one-offs to them is just that it'll probably break if you go from Windows to Linux/BSD.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

lol i saw that. best of all it's from fuckin' FT

anyways Cory Doctorow did a video yesterday and it's mostly just the same poo poo he's been saying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83SULjan-JM&t=5s

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
enshittification is cringe sorry the name sucks hate to report this here

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Salt Fish posted:

Can we streamline this and touch base with the design team on potential revampifications?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DickParasite posted:

Grammarly's entire business model is replicating the blue squiggly underline that MS Word gives you when you use the passive voice.

Word is really loving bad at it so if they can do it better then good for them

Anyway looks like they did the ~pivot to AI~ thing so they're probably making GBS threads out garbage rather than anything useful now

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

Ban queued

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

Word is really loving bad at it so if they can do it better then good for them

eh, not really. my old boss demanded everyone use it in like 2017 and between the annoying plugin and stuff, it wasn't really any better than Word. plus it made things slower so i immediately uninstalled it. word is actually pretty good for 99% of cases, though you should enable some of the advanced options it has.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

My impression of the MS Word grammar tool has been very poor. Misses most stuff other than obvious typos like repeated or misplaced words, and I find myself using maybe 1/4 of its recommendations.

But I also haven't tried any other grammar tools so maybe they just all suck.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

welp,
Minor WA impact as Kirkland firm RaterLabs slashes thousands of remote jobs

www.seattletimes.com - Thu, 08 Feb 2024 posted:

A search engine rating firm with offices in Kirkland will sack nearly 3,700 remote employees after losing a major contract with Google, but only a dozen of the affected workers live in Washington.

On Tuesday, RaterLabs notified the state it was laying off 3,657 workers effective April 6, according to the state Employment Security Department.

Although the initial notice didn’t say where the affected workers are located, a subsequent inquiry by ESD determined 12 were Washington residents, the agency reported Thursday.

The high number of layoffs led ESD to contact Appen and clarify the in-state effect “so state and local entities [and] agencies knew what level of support to prepare for,” an agency spokesperson said Thursday.

RaterLabs is what’s known as a quality rater, a third-party contractor that helps evaluate the quality and relevance of websites that appear in search results, according to media reports.

The company also helps train artificial intelligence systems technologies. Its client list has included top names in tech, including Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Apple and Facebook parent Meta.

Two weeks ago, Google terminated its contract with RaterLab’s parent company, Australia-based Appen, according to a Jan. 22 announcement by Appen. Google had hired Appen to help train Bard, its AI chatbot, according to the Verge.

“These workers provide critical support that keeps Google’s flagship search results and Bard AI safe and functional for the company’s billions of users,” said Alphabet Workers Union, which represents Google workers and contractors, in a statement shortly after the contract was canceled.

RaterLabs is in a Kirkland office park just west of Interstate 405, which the Appen website lists as its U.S. headquarters. Appen hadn’t responded to a request for information as of Thursday.

A LinkedIn page for RaterLabs’ Kirkland location indicated that just under 300 employees worked there, but Tuesday’s notice described the company as “an organization with fully remote workers based in Kirkland.”

RaterLabs, founded in California in 2017, also evaluates “the quality and relevance of ads, content, and search results from social media sites,” according to Wahojobs.com, a news site about work-from-home jobs.

According to the announcement, Appen is associated with “more
than 1 million skilled contractors who speak over 235 languages, in over 70,000 locations and 170 countries.”

The rating business has been known for its low wages. In 2022, Appen employees were part of a successful push by Alphabet Workers Union to boost raters’ pay from as low as $10 an hour to nearly $15, according to Forbes.

Appen saw a boom during the pandemic, when its stock price soared, and its market valuation ballooned to $4.3 billion in late 2020, according to CNBC.

The company has been in a slide since, and shares are now trading at around 19 cents.

Although Appen blamed that decline on “challenging external operating and macro conditions,” former employees said the company had suffered “years of weak quality controls and a disjointed organizational structure,” according to CNBC.

In its announcement, Appen said Google gave no prior notice it was canceling the contract, which had accounted for $82.8 million, or nearly 30%, of Appen’s 2023 revenue.

Given that loss, the cancellation was expected to have “a devastating impact on at least two thousand subcontracted Alphabet workers and their families in the U.S. and Canada,” Alphabet Workers Union said.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
how the gently caress does a "search engine rating firm" have 3700 employees to lay off and still keep operating

that's not a real job or company

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

skaboomizzy posted:

how the gently caress does a "search engine rating firm" have 3700 employees to lay off and still keep operating

that's not a real job or company
well if you're only paying them <$10 an hour, potentially with no bennies if its part time remote (or even overseas for much less), that's not very much annual expenses

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DickParasite posted:

They should change business models to helping people write in passive voice

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

My impression of the MS Word grammar tool has been very poor. Misses most stuff other than obvious typos like repeated or misplaced words, and I find myself using maybe 1/4 of its recommendations.

But I also haven't tried any other grammar tools so maybe they just all suck.

Sounds like a 13,000,000,000 dollar problem to me fwiw

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

gradenko_2000 posted:

They should change business models to helping people write in passive voice

IME Australians all write emails with the passive voice. It's the weirdest thing.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DickParasite posted:

IME Australians all write emails with the passive voice. It's the weirdest thing.

They're fundamentally a passive people. Sad to witness.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DickParasite posted:

IME all emails written by Australians are in passive voice. It's the weirdest thing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
on the parasitic landlord front, apparently Marriott is edging into the AirBNB game and buying out airbnb property managers who have 50+ properties trying to consolidate into their own rental portfolio and has been ramping up buy-outs

interesting gambit i guess

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

DickParasite posted:

oh gently caress this explains the primitive technology guy's youtube captions

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Salt Fish posted:

somehow it's very on brand for doctorow to identify an important process but give it a terrible name

HazCat
May 4, 2009

DickParasite posted:

This made me curious enough to go check the email templates I've made for work, and this definitely doesn't apply to me.

Do you work in Canberra? I could definitely believe that place is full of civil servants practicing their 'citizen affected by outcome of a cop-related action' passive-language skills.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

grammarly was really useful for a while but i dropped that poo poo the moment they made noise about feeding everything into an AI

I stopped using grammarly because it had some kind of pathological hatred of commas and I always had to wade through about 40 junk suggestions involving commas before getting to any actually valid typos

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

HazCat posted:

This made me curious enough to go check the email templates I've made for work, and this definitely doesn't apply to me.

Do you work in Canberra? I could definitely believe that place is full of civil servants practicing their 'citizen affected by outcome of a cop-related action' passive-language skills.

No, Melbourne. Glad to know it's not as universal as I thought.

mawarannahr posted:

They're fundamentally a passive people. Sad to witness.

Unironically agree. My employer does a performance review cycle that syncs up with the fiscal year, so, you know, you set goals in July and then review in January and wrap up in June. Basic job poo poo. All goals must be SMART, etc... Anyway it's now February and I still get emails from the CEO's office that like 10% of the staff haven't done their goal setting. The one that was due at the end of July. Now, in a sane environment, they (the C-suite) would hassle the senior managers, who would in turn hassle the managers to finish setting their reports' goals. But that does not happen. Instead we get passive aggresive emails reminding all of us of the importance of goal setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

DickParasite posted:

Lib guy reading this and thinking the solution to the pro-cop way the news reports police killings is to buy media corps Grammerly subscriptions