Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I installed FF7 Remake last night and it did have 30fps selected in the menu by default

To be fair, that game did that on my desktop after install despite the system having a 7900X and RTX 4080.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell divers 2 is working out of the box but it’s a pretty rough 30 fps

https://youtu.be/A0xkICYpog0?si=Mmmw4Jib9IAgNKF

He doesn’t explain his settings so maybe tweaking a few might lock it at 30.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

I installed FF7 Remake last night and it did have 30fps selected in the menu by default

you'll want to install this mod if you haven't: https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7remake/mods/22

there's ffviihook, but when i tried to use it it a) disabled HDR and b) hosed controller detection so now all my buttons are numbers instead of proper labels

using the linked mod fixed a but i can't seem to fix b, my buttons are stuck with labels like ① ② ③ ④

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is a kind of obscure question, but I'm trying to stream Honkai Star Rail onto my Steam Deck from my PC (with an ultrawide monitor), and for some reason the Moondeckbuddy stuff that normally handles automatically changing the resolution doesn't work for it. Or rather it does automatically change the resolution on my PC, but the end result on the Steam Deck is that it still has the big black bars on the side and is generally way too small.

My best guess is that the issue stems from it streaming my ultrawide desktop and only changing the resolution *after* the game is actually fully launched. On the Steam Deck, I'll see my full ultra-wide desktop view before the game launches, which causes it to appear in a small rectangle in the middle of my screen. But I have no idea how to fix this. I've tried using AutoActions to automatically change the resolution, but still have the same issue.

I'm pretty sure I could technically resolve this by manually changing my desktop's resolution to a non-ultra-wide one, but that's annoying to do every time.

edit: Hm, it seems like AutoActions straight-up isn't working. I guess that explains that part, at least. Not sure why it's not working, since I'm running it as administrator (which is the main possible issue that comes to mind)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 9, 2024

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

parasyte posted:

you'll want to install this mod if you haven't: https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7remake/mods/22

there's ffviihook, but when i tried to use it it a) disabled HDR and b) hosed controller detection so now all my buttons are numbers instead of proper labels

using the linked mod fixed a but i can't seem to fix b, my buttons are stuck with labels like ① ② ③ ④

I don't really do mods. That all sounds like kind of a pain in the rear end

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

I don't really do mods. That all sounds like kind of a pain in the rear end

That mod is just one file you copy to the install folder on the Deck. I haven't noticed any impact on framerate but most importantly the game doesn't look much worse than it should for no reason.

Alternately, you could try setting the framerate cap to 90 or 120 in FF7 Remake, leaving your own framerate cap set in the Deck's menu. That's supposed to disable the dynamic resolution scaling also.

Either way the dynamic scaling has to go, it doesn't work correctly on PC platforms and renders at a lower resolution than it needs to.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

parasyte posted:

That mod is just one file you copy to the install folder on the Deck. I haven't noticed any impact on framerate but most importantly the game doesn't look much worse than it should for no reason.

Alternately, you could try setting the framerate cap to 90 or 120 in FF7 Remake, leaving your own framerate cap set in the Deck's menu. That's supposed to disable the dynamic resolution scaling also.

Either way the dynamic scaling has to go, it doesn't work correctly on PC platforms and renders at a lower resolution than it needs to.

I’m gonna try this later because like the above poster I don’t want to gently caress around trying to put the file in the right place.

The game does look not good by default though so yeah the dynamic rez needs to gtfo

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I just did a big update & cleanup of my emulators and ROMs yesterday. The new Emudeck interface is sleek as hell. Finessing the parser to find the right game is much easier than it was a year ago. I also whittled it down from ~500 games that I never touched to ~150 games I probably won't touch. All around great experience, 5 stars would recommend!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

If anyone is looking for a very imaginative survival city building sim, try Wondering Village. You build a city on top of a walking giant creature that roams a continent traveling through different biomes. Steam Verified and plays great.

https://youtu.be/fbIxfz7Fw6U?si=F5mJo9gJmSYfP2OS

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Was FF7 remake actually good? Like, I'm saying this as someone who played and finished it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I guess I would say that it had some very unique and impressive wrinkles to its combat but the story and late-game had all the worst parts of the more recent squeenix games.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It appears to be in conversation with the original and we'll probably have to wait till the end of the remakes to decide.

I liked it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skipped it since I never played the original.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is interesting/ weird, I started the download of a 100gig game but only had time to get half of it downloaded before I left for work. I put the deck to sleep and the screen definitely went dark.

I came home right now and the game had fully downloaded and was ready to play. :tali:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Sleep mode is exactly that. The console isn't fully shut down and should still finish the download. You can do it with paused games as well, just like the Switch.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Waffle! posted:

Sleep mode is exactly that. The console isn't fully shut down and should still finish the download. You can do it with paused games as well, just like the Switch.

My old LED steam deck would never download stuff when asleep. Did they change that in the OLED?

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Could someone point me in the direction of a good tutorial to setting up streaming please. I did it about a year ago with moonlight/sunshine but never got it working that well.

Just got sick and want to catch up with my Baldurs gate campaign

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kwolok posted:

My old LED steam deck would never download stuff when asleep. Did they change that in the OLED?

Yeah my LED always paused downloads :shrug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waffle! posted:

This is wrong. Pressing the power button for sleep mode will stop downloads on both consoles.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Science_enthusiast posted:

Could someone point me in the direction of a good tutorial to setting up streaming please. I did it about a year ago with moonlight/sunshine but never got it working that well.

Here's one

Install Sunshine (link to windows installer) on the computer you will be streaming from. There are instructions on the screen as you do it. Then install moonlight on deck via the Discover store in desktop mode. Then you just pair them according to instructions. It's pretty easy.

Here's a tricky part you might run into, that guides don't mention:
You might need to have the correct ports open in the port forwarding settings of your router, and through your firewall. That's something you need to figure out separately as Sunshine will try to open them via UPnP ("hey router open these ports for me"), but that's a setting that might be off in your router for security purposes.

Also if you have a firewall other than windows firewall, you might need to get in there and allow traffic through those ports.

For reference, these are the ports by default:
47984 TCP
47989 TCP
47990 TCP
48010 TCP
47998 UDP
47999 UDP
48000 UDP
48002 UDP

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is wrong. Pressing the power button for sleep mode will stop downloads on both consoles.

Ok, so upon research Steam Deck won't download in sleep mode. But the Switch absolutely will.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Waffle! posted:

Ok, so upon research Steam Deck won't download in sleep mode. But the Switch absolutely will.

Yeah because you can set games to download from the web version of the Switch eShop. I've done it a bunch of times for demos.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waffle! posted:

Only when it’s plugged in I’m fairly sure but yes

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Was FF7 remake actually good? Like, I'm saying this as someone who played and finished it.

Yes it was actually good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PantsBandit posted:

Yes it was universally loved. Even with the people mad it wasn’t just a 1:1 remake

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

This is a kind of obscure question, but I'm trying to stream Honkai Star Rail onto my Steam Deck from my PC (with an ultrawide monitor), and for some reason the Moondeckbuddy stuff that normally handles automatically changing the resolution doesn't work for it. Or rather it does automatically change the resolution on my PC, but the end result on the Steam Deck is that it still has the big black bars on the side and is generally way too small.

My best guess is that the issue stems from it streaming my ultrawide desktop and only changing the resolution *after* the game is actually fully launched. On the Steam Deck, I'll see my full ultra-wide desktop view before the game launches, which causes it to appear in a small rectangle in the middle of my screen. But I have no idea how to fix this. I've tried using AutoActions to automatically change the resolution, but still have the same issue.

I'm pretty sure I could technically resolve this by manually changing my desktop's resolution to a non-ultra-wide one, but that's annoying to do every time.

edit: Hm, it seems like AutoActions straight-up isn't working. I guess that explains that part, at least. Not sure why it's not working, since I'm running it as administrator (which is the main possible issue that comes to mind)

I know this is basically not answering the question, but I've been playing HSR directly on the Steam Deck, using a third-party launcher and it's been fine, it can run on High no problem. Look for "honkers railway" on github, they discourage linking directly it to avoid getting flagged.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Not So Fast posted:

I know this is basically not answering the question, but I've been playing HSR directly on the Steam Deck, using a third-party launcher and it's been fine, it can run on High no problem. Look for "honkers railway" on github, they discourage linking directly it to avoid getting flagged.

Steam Deck: Look for "honkers railway"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

yes

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Not So Fast posted:

I've seen people on Reddit posting that bypassing the anti-cheat has gotten them suspended/banned.

They didn't specifically mention this program, but wouldn't that still be a concern?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah no poo poo bypassing anti cheat will get you banned lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Annath posted:

I've seen people on Reddit posting that bypassing the anti-cheat has gotten them suspended/banned.

They didn't specifically mention this program, but wouldn't that still be a concern?

I don’t think it bypasses the anti cheat.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t think it bypasses the anti cheat.

Huh, the anti cheat isn't supposed to work on Linux.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Science_enthusiast posted:

This is a thorough deep dive on setting up Sunshine/Moonlight and additional utilities. You can technically skip the deckyloader/moondeck portion (I think it's nice and works well enough) and there's some additional stuff in the comments like auto-resolution and virtual displays scripts.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Annath posted:

If you can't trust the good people at Honkers Railway, who can you trust?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Cyrano4747 posted:

Skipped it since I never played the original.

I played the remake without having played the original, and I had a blast. I think I knew enough from nerd cultural osmosis to appreciate some of the changes. Now I’m playing the original, and it’s interesting to compare them in reverse!

Waffle! posted:

I think if the Steam Deck tried to do any tasks while asleep and zipped up in a case it would melt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I think if the Steam Deck tried to do any tasks while asleep and zipped up in a case it would melt.

Nah, screen would stay off, CPU could have a low power target, and it already has thermal protection. The big thermal risk is charging in a case, but even then the BMS should keep anything permanently bad from happening. (I wouldn’t trust most vendors to get the BMS thermal protection right, but I trust Valve.)

Being able to have it pull shader updates and steam cloud syncs while idle would be so good. I always grab it and want to head out the door, and then have to wait for it to sync whatever game I’ve been playing.