Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

General Dog posted:

He’s messing with you, the profile pic is actually Richard Johnson.

I've seen Richard on TV before, you can't fool me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

I’m not on IG anymore but he’s a great follow for his Dad Stories and mailbag over like morning coffee on game days.

He’s a bit of a grouch but so am I. We are in pretty solid alignment and in similar life stages.

I've softened up on Godfrey, probably because 2022 UGA beat him into mewing submission, but I do still dislike this thing where they're doing the weekly rundown, Godfrey will allude to some AWESOME coach-bout-to-get-fired story that only the subscribers will have access to, and you, as a subscriber, then listen to the paid shows and he talks about how he just doesn't have time to cover it in detail. Dude I'm giving you money the whole "it's too complicated to talk about on the podcast" schtick sucks

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Tom Allen had to take a pay cut in order to fire Nick Sheridan when Sheridan was the OC at Indiana a few years ago

https://x.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/1756191758252220449

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

https://twitter.com/nextroundlive/status/1756299069608092079?s=46&t=9M23MxOZCQb2K5YQUQuRlA

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Wow that's nasty

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I listen to SZD religiously but I’m not a patron. It is one of the few I’ve considered (the others being 5 to 4 and If Books Could Kill) but I just can’t bring myself to pay extra for more podcasts.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
lol at Ryan Day being made to hire his potential replacement not once but twice in the past month. The Game gonna be absolutely wild this year.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

C-Euro posted:

lol at Ryan Day being made to hire his potential replacement not once but twice in the past month. The Game gonna be absolutely wild this year.

Clink told the team he was staying, then just jumped to the Chargers, so it really does need to be The Year for Day or he's pretty toast.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
The messed up thing is, if their history is any guide, tOSU actually could fire Ryan day for only winning 90% of his games and somehow come out ok.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/Hayesfawcett3/status/1756376265089495401?s=20

I feel like there are better pics they could have used. Probably need to open the link…

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This is some dirty poo poo right here.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I get sports are different, but do people in any other industry take jobs soley on who their boss would be

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I get sports are different, but do people in any other industry take jobs soley on who their boss would be

Yes. I have coworkers who have followed their bosses to other companies. If you like working for someone and trust them to look out for you it can make a lot of sense.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’ve seen it happen. Manger gets hired away and immediately calls his best people to see if they want to come with him. Not super common, but it happens.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Yeah absolutely. I've known guys in the military who've tried to follow a good commanding officer. And I've seen grad students move with their advisor when they switch universities. It's not uncommon at all.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

yep this is super common in higher end corporate environments, typically VPs and C-suite folks have a few people they try to take with them when they go to new companies.

this is dirty but also the spring window opens in like 2 more months so I guess it's really just forcing some brief cooling off period in the hopes dudes dont instantly bail. idk for all the coaches bitch about transfer windows they still do stuff like this which turbo fucks the kids who try to follow them

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Kelly is not going to replace Day and neither was BoB. There’s a reason Vrabel is just going to chill for a year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Truther Vandross posted:

Kelly is not going to replace Day and neither was BoB. There’s a reason Vrabel is just going to chill for a year.

Yea, because nobody in the NFL offered him a head coaching job.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Thermos H Christ posted:

The messed up thing is, if their history is any guide, tOSU actually could fire Ryan day for only winning 90% of his games and somehow come out ok.

Yeah that's what makes Ohio State so infuriating as a rival - I don't think they've had a truly bad season in my lifetime. Maybe the one Fickell year but there's a pretty big caveat to that (plus they almost beat Michigan that year anyway). And then they immediately picked up Urbz! Where is their RichRod moment?

Truther Vandross posted:

Ugh, I can see it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

C-Euro posted:

Yeah that's what makes Ohio State so infuriating as a rival - I don't think they've had a truly bad season in my lifetime. Maybe the one Fickell year but there's a pretty big caveat to that (plus they almost beat Michigan that year anyway). And then they immediately picked up Urbz! Where is their RichRod moment?

Ugh, I can see it.

nfl guys don't go down to college if they think they can still get an nfl job. joe brady and todd monken made the trip down because they weren't moving up in the nfl ranks to OC positions (or in monken's case being offered the chance to coach talented teams at OC) where they got to show off what they could do with nfl talent. vrabel is waiting for an nfl job and i think he'd sooner take an nfl dc job than the hc position at ohio state

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

happens all the time

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

nfl guys don't go down to college if they think they can still get an nfl job. joe brady and todd monken made the trip down because they weren't moving up in the nfl ranks to OC positions (or in monken's case being offered the chance to coach talented teams at OC) where they got to show off what they could do with nfl talent. vrabel is waiting for an nfl job and i think he'd sooner take an nfl dc job than the hc position at ohio state

Counterpoint, Jim Harbaugh

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Komet posted:

Harbaugh was a college head coach before the went to the NFL. Vrabel has spent like 80% of his time coaching in the NFL, he’s not a college guy in the way Harbaugh or Carroll were.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Komet posted:

Ascribing logic to Jim Harbaugh decisions is a futile endeavor.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Harbaugh was a college head coach before the went to the NFL. Vrabel has spent like 80% of his time coaching in the NFL, he’s not a college guy in the way Harbaugh or Carroll were.

Vrabel has all but said it’s NFL or head coach of OSU.

He’s going to help Fickell out some this year since they’re best friends and he’s got nothing else going on, but most beat guys around Columbus have said he’s not interested in college beyond the OSU job.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Truther Vandross posted:

Vrabel has all but said it’s NFL or head coach of OSU.

Where has he said this?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/delatorre/status/1756820037288046732?ref_src=

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

lol that was fast

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
We were deprived of Vols Legend Super Bowl MVP Juaun Jennings.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Mega64 posted:

this hurt me

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mega64 posted:

He really was the MVP moreso than Mahomes, but (minus one time) winner's gonna get it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Interesting hire here.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1757073263195275769?t=4WioY0aYWk0a6wkdbjP4EQ&s=19

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So reading between the lines of his CV; I’m guessing Chip pretty much had him in charge of the recruiting apparatus? Seems like a “keep the roster and staff together and see how things go in the fall” hire.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

General Dog posted:

So reading between the lines of his CV; I’m guessing Chip pretty much had him in charge of the recruiting apparatus? Seems like a “keep the roster and staff together and see how things go in the fall” hire.

From recruiting coordinator and running back coach to head coach? Yikes.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

further re-enforces how unserious they are about football.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
I'm assuming this is not a good hire? I haven't heard of the guy

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

You haven't heard of him because his highest position before this promotion was running backs coach

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Neil Armbong posted:

further re-enforces how unserious they are about football.

I would take more as a “we’re waiting until December to make an actual hire” hire, which here in mid-February is probably a defensible move.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ucla got that big ten money and are now coasting until the conference kicks them out in the next round of realignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

I would take more as a “we’re waiting until December to make an actual hire” hire, which here in mid-February is probably a defensible move.

isn't the whole reason chip is leaving that they won't commit to him/pay what they need to and invest in the program appropriately? you're not wrong and i'm not quite ready to give them the credit of playing the long game or having a plan.