Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

as long as the kids can recognize brand logos and what products they are associated with they'll be fine

who needs to read "books" like some kind of weird wizard when they can instead open a cool refreshing coke and snap into a slim jim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

gradenko_2000 posted:

Weren't people taught how to write in school?

Based on the college kids' papers I have glanced at in the last few years, no, we are graduating high schoolers who do not know how to write the ancient standard five paragraph essay, nor are they taught how to engage with ideas and form an argument. It is a sad state of affairs.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

blatman posted:

snap into a slim jim

DUMMY! YEEAAAH!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Animal-Mother posted:

we are graduating high schoolers who do not know how to write the ancient standard five paragraph essay

I don't know how to do this, was never taught, and never needed it :shrug:

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
American education is being chopped down to just memorizing a list of exam answers and to figure out what questions they go to. Money schmoney. Uncle Sam needs a new jet!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Who needs books when I can use YouTube to learn how to do stuff?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

They'll have to put cute cartoon pictograms on the claymores now.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

I don't know how to do this, was never taught, and never needed it :shrug:

it's fine for high school and does its job i think, it just is there to teach you how to declare a thesis and then show evidence of that thesis in a structured way which is the basis of good writing even if it isn't in the 5 paragraph form

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

silicone thrills posted:

That reading article actually makes some poo poo from a few years ago make a ton more sense. I had an intern at the service desk who just like could read but didn't seem to grasp a ton of concepts. And I tried to coach him through poo poo and just kept failing and I felt awful because I felt like I failed him when we didnt end up hiring him on long term because he was creating more work than helping on a day to day basis by constantly misinterpreting emails etc.

It's been making me think a lot about how kids engage in social media. Like, TikTok is addicting by design, of course, but how many kids turn to it (and Youtube, Fortnite, etc...) because they can't read? If you're a bored 10 year old, and books are just not an option, what other options do you have?

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

pretending to be dead to have a casket home for 22/month like a japanese micro hotel

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

DickParasite posted:

It's been making me think a lot about how kids engage in social media. Like, TikTok is addicting by design, of course, but how many kids turn to it (and Youtube, Fortnite, etc...) because they can't read? If you're a bored 10 year old, and books are just not an option, what other options do you have?

I was thinking about how in my high school our english class would literally have research days where we'd spend the entire time in the library gathering sources for our research papers. in 9th grade. That was the first year I was expected to write like a 5+ page paper.

And then I compare that to now where I can't even find written documentation for a lot of poo poo I need. I HAVE to watch some lovely youtube video or tiktok to find out "what the gently caress this button actually does in photoshop"

I watched a video about what your average roman ate in a day recently and it was a good video and all but I dont retain information for poo poo from watching videos. I need to read/write to retain.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

But what I mean is, there must be a material cause?

Because, as far as I can tell, you could teach children out of the Didascalicon, or those Egyptian and Babylonian manuals for training children to be scribes, and get better results. Minus the corporal punishment, what needed to be innovated at all? Clearly producing people who could read was something that has been figured out since... as long as people needed to read.

Per Malcolm B. Parkes, “The Literacy of the Laity,” in Scribes, Scripts, and Readers: Studies in the Communication, Presentation, and Dissemination of Medieval Texts, "Girls and boys began by learning the letters of the Latin alphabet and the sounds they made. In this way they acquired the basic skills of early reading, called contemporaneously sillibicare (sounding out syllables) and legere (sounding out words), even if they didn’t understand what those sounds or words meant."

Which sounds an awfully lot like what American children did before teaching was "innovated".

It's surprisingly hard to find a good edition of the Didascalicon online but I enjoy it, so a threw up a copy:

"The things by which every man advances in knowledge are principally two — namely, reading and meditation. Of these, reading holds first place in instruction, and it is of reading that this book treats, setting forth rules for it. For there are three things particularly necessary to learn for reading: first, each man should know what he ought to read; second, in what order he ought to read, that is, what first and what afterwards; and third, in what manner he ought to read. These three points are
handled one by one in this book."

"Aptitude is a certain faculty naturally rooted in the mind and empowered from within. It arises from nature, is improved by use, is blunted by excessive work, and is sharpened by temperate practice. As someone has very nicely said:

Please! Spare yourself for my sake — there’s only drudgery in those papers! Go run in the open air!

Aptitude gets practice from two things — reading and meditation. Reading consists of forming our minds upon rules and precepts taken from books, and it is of three types: the teacher’s, the learner’s, and the independent reader’s. For we say, “I am reading the book to him,” “I am reading the book under him,” and “I am reading the book.”’ Order and method are what especially deserve attention in the matter of reading."

Animal-Mother posted:

Based on the college kids' papers I have glanced at in the last few years, no, we are graduating high schoolers who do not know how to write the ancient standard five paragraph essay, nor are they taught how to engage with ideas and form an argument. It is a sad state of affairs.

I went to Catholic school, so we learned the 11 sentence paragraph, but it's been with me my whole life. I was the student representative on the English Catholic board's Literacy Committee, and the 5 sentence paragraphs the Public board used came up, but they just don't seem to have the same symmetry.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:22 on Feb 10, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Because, as far as I can tell, you could teach children out of the Didascalicon, or those Egyptian and Babylonian manuals for training children to be scribes, and get better results. Minus the corporal punishment, what needed to be innovated at all? Clearly producing people who could read was something that has been figured out since... as long as people needed to read.

Per Malcolm B. Parkes, “The Literacy of the Laity,” in Scribes, Scripts, and Readers: Studies in the Communication, Presentation, and Dissemination of Medieval Texts, "Girls and boys began by learning the letters of the Latin alphabet and the sounds they made. In this way they acquired the basic skills of early reading, called contemporaneously sillibicare (sounding out syllables) and legere (sounding out words), even if they didn’t understand what those sounds or words meant."

Which sounds an awfully lot like what American children did before teaching was "innovated".

It's surprisingly hard to find a good edition of the Didascalicon online but I enjoy it, so a threw up a copy:

"The things by which every man advances in knowledge are principally two — namely, reading and meditation. Of these, reading holds first place in instruction, and it is of reading that this book treats, setting forth rules for it. For there are three things particularly necessary to learn for reading: first, each man should know what he ought to read; second, in what order he ought to read, that is, what first and what afterwards; and third, in what manner he ought to read. These three points are
handled one by one in this book."

"Aptitude is a certain faculty naturally rooted in the mind and empowered from within. It arises from nature, is improved by use, is blunted by excessive work, and is sharpened by temperate practice. As someone has very nicely said:

Please! Spare yourself for my sake — there’s only drudgery in those papers! Go run in the open air!

Aptitude gets practice from two things — reading and meditation. Reading consists of forming our minds upon rules and precepts taken from books, and it is of three types: the teacher’s, the learner’s, and the independent reader’s. For we say, “I am reading the book to him,” “I am reading the book under him,” and “I am reading the book.”’ Order and method are what especially deserve attention in the matter of reading."

The material cause is, the people who invented a method to make kids illiterate did so to get money.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Biplane posted:

The material cause is, the people who invented a method to make kids illiterate did so to get money.

Capitalism is just the best.

"If being socially destructive was bad, it wouldn't pay so well!" had downstream consequences. Who knew?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

19 o'clock posted:

Who needs books when I can use YouTube to learn how to do stuff?

I just follow the Thought Leaders and do what they say.

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

DickParasite posted:

If anything this should be motivating them too read, how can they be addicted to internet if they cant read internet?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Ted Wassanasong posted:

If anything this should be motivating them too read, how can they be addicted to internet if they cant read internet?

most of their content is video; twitter is for scholars

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ted Wassanasong posted:

Andrew Tate does video content, it's all good

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Biplane posted:

Andrew Tate does video content, it's all good

But outside of it being frontpage content, how would you find andrew tate if you heard about him but literally cannot spell andrew tate?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ted Wassanasong posted:

But outside of it being frontpage content, how would you find andrew tate if you heard about him but literally cannot spell andrew tate?

Why would you ever need to move beyond the frontpage content? Trust the Algorithm. The Algorithm knows what you need.

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

Biplane posted:

Why would you ever need to move beyond the frontpage content? Trust the Algorithm. The Algorithm knows what you need.

The somethingawful website was 30 years too early to be read.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

How much money Americans have in their savings accounts—nearly half have less than $500

quote:

Nearly half of Americans have $500 or less in their savings accounts, an amount that leaves them vulnerable to unexpected expenses, according to a GOBankingRates survey of 1,063 U.S. adults conducted in November 2023.

About 29% of respondents have between $501 and $5,000 in their savings accounts, while the remaining 21% of Americans have $5,001 or more.

Few hold much cash in their checking accounts as well. Of those surveyed, 60% report having $500 or less in their checking accounts, while only about 12% have $2,001 or more.

The lack of cash in either savings or checking accounts suggests that many Americans are living paycheck to paycheck. This leaves them vulnerable to unexpected expenses, underscoring the importance of having an emergency fund, if they’re able to build one.

There are many reasons for this. In some cases, Americans may struggle to make ends meet during times of high inflation. But in others, it may be a matter of affluent professionals who aren’t in the habit of saving money.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Frosted Flake posted:

falling rate of profit, elite overproduction, supremacy of finance capitalism, imperialism… take your pick. the empire isn’t growing and conquering new territory, therefore it no longer needs to draft administrators from the working classes, therefore public education can be reduced to the crassest sorting mechanism for what remains of the productive economy: prison, services, logistics, etc. the output of elite private education is more than sufficient to reproduce the functions of state.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

I went to Catholic school, so we learned the 11 sentence paragraph, but it's been with me my whole life.

yeah…. . no kidding

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Potato Salad posted:

Beginning to wonder if switching to compensating upper management primarily through stock options in the 90s was a national security disaster

*looks over at number being up* yeah gently caress yeah! goal! score team America right there

I know a guy there who makes over 350k. been there since the 90s. wonder if he’s on the chopping block.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ted Wassanasong posted:

YouTube has fixed this problem, by making Andrew Tate (or Ben Shapiro) one of the first options suggested to new accounts

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Apparently Boeing installed the door plug without any bolts at all..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnFzT6aUehg

you cant prove that not installing half the bolts in the plane causes the plane to explode unless you do a randomized controlled trial, we're just applying lessons from public health to aviation here

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

DickParasite posted:

It turns out many in the last few decades weren't actually taught to read. Whoops! The last few pages of the Doomsday Education thread were pretty nuts.

The OP I quote has the entire article quoted, which I won't do here, but it's worth reading. Instead of teaching kids to sound-out words to learn how to read, we taught them to guess what a sentence says. If that sounds insane to you congratulations you know better than 75% of America's teachers.

Broader American public education results have been poo poo long before this dumb guess-the-word teaching system. The NAEP reading assessment results have not changed much since the 90s when it started. About 1/5 of US adults are functionally illiterate too.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Frosted Flake posted:

America reintroducing Zunftzeichen because people can no longer read signs (and so Number would be affected) is going to be complicated by people thinking Arby's is a millinery.

lmao amazing

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Broader American public education results have been poo poo long before this dumb guess-the-word teaching system. The NAEP reading assessment results have not changed much since the 90s when it started. About 1/5 of US adults are functionally illiterate too.

more than this number of my classmates in middle school between 1995-1997 could not read proficiently. Several of my teachers were functionally literate but mispronounced words in lessons and couldn't parse foreign loanwords or proper nouns.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Frosted Flake posted:

I went to Catholic school, so we learned the 11 sentence paragraph,

I have never heard of this, despite being surrounded by Catholics. Don't worry, I'm not getting inquisitioned, I just work in a Californian kitchen.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

ive had 500 dollars like 4 times

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Oldest Man posted:

you cant prove that not installing half the bolts in the plane causes the plane to explode unless you do a randomized controlled trial, we're just applying lessons from public health to aviation here

The funniest thing is the photo they seized from Boeing which shows that door, on that plane, installed without any bolts.

Nothing will happen, but still lmao

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

The funniest thing is the photo they seized from Boeing which shows that door, on that plane, installed without any bolts.

Well, yeah - don't want to lose your cushy 'retirement gift' sinecure at Boeing after you leave the FAA and rubberstamping everything and anything they did because you're a regulatory captured bitch rear end ho.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

my acceptance of deviation dot bmp

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Animal-Mother posted:

I have never heard of this, despite being surrounded by Catholics. Don't worry, I'm not getting inquisitioned, I just work in a Californian kitchen.

Introduction/Thesis

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Conclusion/Summary

:airquote: It’s a trinity of trinities.

A small essay with 1 major argument has 3 of them as the body, a larger essay has 3 major arguments for a total of 9, etc.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Feb 11, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Introduction/Thesis

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Conclusion/Summary

:airquote: It’s a trinity of trinities

I grew up in a bottom third rated rural PA school district and despite that district sucking poo poo and being very bad, I was happy to learn a lot of useful things from my early 1980s textbooks, such at the above and also how to balance a checkbook and handle household finances. I was also taught how to cook meals and bake, and also how to operate a box brake, a band saw, and other metal and wood working tools. Maybe school ratings aren't great.

e: I went to school 1986-1996 (I dropped out in 10th grade lol)

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

Ted Wassanasong posted:

Speech to text is accurate enough to guide you to the algorithm’s anointed. Trust Siri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ted Wassanasong posted:

Have you used TikTok? It just puts videos in front of you, one after another, without any ability to choose what you want to see. Infinite channel flipping.