Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

why would the housing market crash?

there is nothing dramatically unstable about the housing market like there was in 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Been hearing about the bottom falling out of the California housing market any day now since 2014. And yet!

These things take time. The home insurance market is probably what’s gonna do it but that’s going to take a few more years to work itself out I think, a few last ditch attempts to fix the problem that don’t work, etc

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

why would the housing market crash?

there is nothing dramatically unstable about the housing market like there was in 2007

Don’t mind me, I’m just the home insurance market in California and Florida

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

War and Pieces posted:

All of the good carpenters are in historic preservation

Actual union carpenters sling concrete, people building houses are framers.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Don’t mind me, I’m just the home insurance market in California and Florida

okay but everywhere else?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
House prices cant crash in a modern financialized neoliberal western state - see canada, australia

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I'd love to be wrong!! But the factors that induce housing price crashes (material reality, regional factors, employment, income) don't matter

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

sleep with the vicious posted:

House prices cant crash in a modern financialized neoliberal western state - see canada, australia

But I bet individual houses can crash, like down a cliff in California, or into the Ocean in Florida. I bet the price drops in that subdivision when that happens.

So all people have to do is wait for climate change to ramp up its effects. Then they can buy a pile of rubble somewhere.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
There will definitely still be regional crashes in extremely overheated markets and climate-related crashes are inevitable, although you'll never want to buy into the latter. The 2008 housing crash wasn't really a thing that affected every part of the country equally, anyway.

Seems like layoffs are accelerating and moving out of the tech sector, so my guess is there will a dip that's retroactively visible when you're looking at the housing market as a whole, but nobody will really notice because everyone will be too busy trying not to be homeless. It's just going to be a thing where you can look at a graph and be like "oh yeah, that's where even more landlords bought in for cheap."

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

My employer just closed all of its west coast offices and moved the HQ from Seattle to Durham and while so far there’s no word on ending remote work im dreading the eventuality because im not moving to NC

it’s funny that all Durhams are the worst places to live

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

there's a lot of cash waiting on the sidelines for a crash in major housing areas like SF or NYC. people forget that it was easy to make a killing if you bought a place post-2008 crash

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Housing won't crash. The securities will.

Wait, is it the other way around?

Will the real housing market please stand up?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is there any chance that the commercial real estate market imploding would have secondary effects on the residential market?

More layoffs means less workers, means less need for office space. Even if a company is going full Return to Office. Would seem to imply that things are unlikely to get better in the commercial space any time soon, especially if interest rates hold flat for an extended period of time.

So are those groups holding residential properties and or apartments that would need to be sold to shore up loses in commercial properties? Or would investors fleeing commercial stuff just dump more money into residential, driving that up more?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Finally being able to afford a house in minecraft.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Orvin posted:

But I bet individual houses can crash, like down a cliff in California, or into the Ocean in Florida. I bet the price drops in that subdivision when that happens.

So all people have to do is wait for climate change to ramp up its effects. Then they can buy a pile of rubble somewhere.

In New Zealand a bunch of houses got wiped out last year to flooding and a cyclone, so the government is implementing a buy-out scheme where if it's determined that your properly is too unsafe to live at any more then the government will pay you market price for it. Housing prices aren't going to be allowed to go down until capitalism itself collapses. Look at Australia, New Zealand, Canada etc. the USA has a long way to go yet in terms of housing prices as a multiple of income AND you have the 30 year fixed rate mortgage which these other countries don't have.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I think if anything crashes a regional market in the US it'll be insurance companies going down but they'll just bail them out if that actually sticks and isn't for negotiating leverage, the US is 100% a ponzi scheme for selling houses and land to build them on and that can't end with the US still in existence as a state imo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I can’t find the article right now but there’s a new housing subdivision in Moon Township, Allegheny County where three year old houses are actively being lost to a landslide while other homes within a hundred feet are being sold for $460k. You’d think the authorities would do something about that but I guess not.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I can’t find the article right now but there’s a new housing subdivision in Moon Township, Allegheny County where three year old houses are actively being lost to a landslide while other homes within a hundred feet are being sold for $460k. You’d think the authorities would do something about that but I guess not.

Imagine if the 460k house slides onto another 460k lot. That’s like double the value right there and you don’t even have to do anything, the land just does that on its own

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

sleep with the vicious posted:

YouTube is running commercials for California 'keep your home' mortgage assistance programs that have been dormant since 2010, there is going to be a break point but it probably won't be a mass movement like the GFC of 2008 and the states/federal government will be able to prop it up for a while.

I don't expect it to make a big difference but Newsom has mandated almost every state agency force workers back in office minimum 2 days a week (and I suspect that will be increasing by summer) in a dumb attempt to save commercial real estate values and help cover the 80b CA deficit

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Just don't be a bagholder, but if you are caveat emptor.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/734-Chilton-St-Marlin-TX-76661/127191773_zpid/

these premier properties in small towns that were dying before covid are dying again. I think that WFH spigot is dry

Apr 7, 2003

lol that town ain't even near anything. It's 5500 people in the rear end end of nowhere.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

30 minutes from Waco, bitch

Apr 7, 2003

like I said, rear end end of nowhere

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Orvin posted:

Is there any chance that the commercial real estate market imploding would have secondary effects on the residential market?

More layoffs means less workers, means less need for office space. Even if a company is going full Return to Office. Would seem to imply that things are unlikely to get better in the commercial space any time soon, especially if interest rates hold flat for an extended period of time.

So are those groups holding residential properties and or apartments that would need to be sold to shore up loses in commercial properties? Or would investors fleeing commercial stuff just dump more money into residential, driving that up more?

One can hope that commercial real estate collapses and it has to be converted to residential to have something to do with the property causing a secondary crash in residential.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mistermojo posted:

I like the sarcastic home inspector guy. he has a very soothing voice as well

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7312560047668743467

This hurt me to watch ugh

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

i say swears online posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/734-Chilton-St-Marlin-TX-76661/127191773_zpid/

these premier properties in small towns that were dying before covid are dying again. I think that WFH spigot is dry

The closest thing to a crash happening I can think of are these bumfuck towns that nobody wanted to move to in the first place being forced to lower their prices significantly.

I don’t know any wfh computer touchers who moved to small towns unless they already had family there.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

The closest thing to a crash happening I can think of are these bumfuck towns that nobody wanted to move to in the first place being forced to lower their prices significantly.

I don’t know any wfh computer touchers who moved to small towns unless they already had family there.

There are probably real estate markets near mountains, lakes, beaches, etc. that were magnets for remote workers.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Ted Wassanasong posted:

Actual union carpenters sling concrete, people building houses are framers.

the preservationists rebuild houses. these guys have got to know 100 years worth of techneques and materials, they're good but also one of the reasons why preservationism is a NIMBY scam

Apr 7, 2003

My wife worked with one attorney who moved to a lovely mountain town here, not sure what his practice area was but he could do it all remotely. Quite literally the only person I had first or second hand knowledge of who left the city to move to the middle of nowhere that didn't start in the middle of nowhere.

There are no organic narratives in American media and as far as I can tell the whole "WFH computer men are moving to one horse meth towns with a Walmart and driving the cost of property up!" was a narrative to drive the cost of properties up. It's served it's purpose so the narrative is over.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Dmitri-9 posted:

There are probably real estate markets near mountains, lakes, beaches, etc. that were magnets for remote workers.

Oh, no doubt. I’m taking about unremarkable towns in the rust belt or the Deep South who think computer touchers will pay whatever the seller of a local poo poo shack wants just to be able to own a house. This very thread was sharing places in bumfuck PA full of people trying to sell houses that have no business being over 100k for like 400k.

Anywhere with real mountains or a coastline will be just fine.

Apr 7, 2003

My family is all from assy central PA and my brother ended up spending $280K on a house in the middle of nowhere that shouldn't have been any more than $120-150k because he and his girlfriend bought during the wfh bonanza period. Even the initial 2020 "everyone is fleeing the cities!" reporting was based on online real estate searches, not sales.

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
im from philadelphia and i moved to the mountains in georgia because cost of living was too high unless i wanted to move back to the neighborhood im from, i do warehouse work tho and i cant afford a house here either (but i get more for the same amount of rent)

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
good to know the insights of the petit boug in the irradiated part of PA tho

Apr 7, 2003

Which permabanned rereg are you? your pissy resentment seems familiar

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
never been banned, lost my login to my 06 account (for the best, it was all GBS trash because i was 15), been lurking here for actual factual insight into the world's state of affairs because im out of work on a workers comp claim (smashed my hand) and eventually had to cough up :10bux: to keep reading

ur just easy to make fun of because you loudly proclaim what an out of touch idiot you are multiple times a day

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
i might have it out for u extra because i was a bike mech for ages and i can clearly see how easily you're parted from your money

Apr 7, 2003

OH MY BAD posted:

i might have it out for u extra because i was a bike mech for ages and i can clearly see how easily you're parted from your money

that's okay, bike mechanics need to get paid too

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

get his rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

that's okay, bike mechanics need to get paid too

gimme $100 and i’ll makes your bikes so good