Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Frosted Flake posted:

Introduction/Thesis

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Conclusion/Summary

:airquote: It’s a trinity of trinities.

A small essay with 1 major argument has 3 of them as the body, a larger essay has 3 major arguments for a total of 9, etc.

Round these parts we call that CD Comm Comm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Horseshoe theory posted:

Well, yeah - don't want to lose your cushy 'retirement gift' sinecure at Boeing after you leave the FAA and rubberstamping everything and anything they did because you're a regulatory captured bitch rear end ho.

Boeing does their regulatory compliance in house

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

employment is going up

computer touched are getting fired Becuase it’s a fake industry that is buffeted by investor dollars (boom crash)

overall tho employment is up . sorry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

employment is going up

computer touched are getting fired Becuase it’s a fake industry that is buffeted by investor dollars (boom crash)

you're a word cop

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Boeing does their regulatory compliance in house

well there's the problem; they should be doing it in their planes

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Introduction/Thesis

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Conclusion/Summary

A small essay with 1 major argument has 3 of them as the body, a larger essay has 3 major arguments for a total of 9, etc.

i learned this in a rural public school lmao

e: i think a part of it (not the quoted school of thought thing) is presenting counterarguments before disarming them with your supporting argument in order to strengthen your conclusion where it should tie each counterargument/supporting argument up in a neat & consistent bow.

Oglethorpe has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Feb 11, 2024

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Word cops have a guild

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Word cops have a guild

Makes you think

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

euphronius posted:

employment is going up

Gig work for all!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Frosted Flake posted:

Introduction/Thesis

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Conclusion/Summary

A Guide to Posting

HazCat
May 4, 2009

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

Gig work for all!

Gig work or just a whole lot of people working two full time jobs just to make rent. Employment number goes up!

High Rise Hog Farm
Feb 11, 2024
It seems like the economy is doing very well under Joe Biden and the Democrats. Is there any reason to be concerned?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Frosted Flake posted:

Introduction/Thesis

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Conclusion/Summary

Introductory sentence. Sentence summarizing first paragraph. Sentence summarizing second paragraph. Sentence summarizing third paragraph. Sentence stating conclusion.

Sentence introducing topic of first paragraph. Sentence giving first detail of paragraph. Sentence giving second detail of paragraph. Sentence giving third detail of paragraph. Sentence summarizing conclusion of paragraph.

Sentence introducing topic of second paragraph. Sentence giving first detail of paragraph. Sentence giving second detail of paragraph. Sentence giving third detail of paragraph. Sentence summarizing conclusion of paragraph.

Sentence introducing topic of second paragraph. Sentence giving first detail of paragraph. Sentence giving second detail of paragraph. Sentence giving third detail of paragraph. Sentence summarizing conclusion of paragraph.

Sentence stating topic of essay. Sentence summarizing first paragraph. Sentence summarizing second paragraph. Sentence summarizing third paragraph. Sentence stating conclusion.

And thus have you written a five paragraph essay. Extending the pattern is left as an exercise for the student as this is the correct way to write essays and no others need be taught. :suicide:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

High Rise Hog Farm posted:

It seems like the economy is doing very well under Joe Biden and the Democrats. Is there any reason to be concerned?

None whatsoever. My $COST is up 300% in 3 years, thank you Joe! hell, things are so good the Feds are going to cut rates even!

if you don't have money, it's simply a skill issue

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I know this is a discussion that wrapped up on the previous page, but for real, I have an advanced degree in physics and it still feels like the skill that was most useful for me there was loving writing. my current career is almost entirely predicated on my ability to communicate with proficiency somewhere above that of a cat with a pencil taped to its tail

I have unintentionally wandered into supervising and advising no small number of intern/co-op students. I kinda have a routine for new ones worked out now. After a few weeks, I'll bring up how some of what they are writing can be very confusing for the other party to understand. I'll point out how they could communicate more effectively by putting themselves in the reader's shoes and re-reading their email before sending it.

I'm by no means an expert instructor on prose, but this one thing seems to really help new/aspiring professionals out. I learned this because I had a 10th grade English writing teacher who very patiently sat me down and worked on it with me; my life would be very different were it not for his influence.

now if I can just figure out how to avoid run-on sentences while posting, without it becoming a chore

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 07:38 on Feb 11, 2024

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

now if I can just figure out how to avoid run-on sentences while posting, without it becoming a chore

Read it out loud once before hitting post. Anywhere you run out of breath requires more punctuation.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

palindrome posted:

you're gonna need those chips reeeeeeeeal small to put them where they need to go. like, imagine a cloud of nanobots floating around your skull beaming advertisements information rich-media to your auditory system and optic nerve. that's the iphone 16.

I like this idea so my patented proprietary nanobots will instead electrically stimulate the parts of your brain that make you want to slavishly buy whatever crap I'm advertising by removing your impulse control and higher reasoning. Enjoy ordering 50 drums of vanilla scented wallpaper with a photo realistic baked beans pattern on them.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Potato Salad posted:

I know this is a discussion that wrapped up on the previous page, but for real, I have an advanced degree in physics and it still feels like the skill that was most useful for me there was loving writing. my current career is almost entirely predicated on my ability to communicate with proficiency somewhere above that of a cat with a pencil taped to its tail
lol i'm a civil engineer and the last time i've actually penciled out any calcs or anything was like 6 years ago. 75% is writing emails/memos/contract language/ceqa/monthly reports and other cip poo poo, 15% is spent filling out time sheets, 10% spent using illustrator to make some figures look nice and gussying up powerpoints. I run my finite element soil models and hec-ras but that's mostly just drawing some cad stuff and putting in inputs i pull off the cuff.

also it's great that as you get olde, your ability to bullshit answers right then and there just gets so much more powerful that i'm just pulling things out of the air and everyone just accepts it without questioning.

Potato Salad posted:

i don't bother trying to write well in shitposting. it's my self-care-hobby to engage in massive run-ons, bad comma splices, and so forth. I spend enough time actually writing very very well, in the top of my agency, in a professional setting that shitposting is a just a relief valve where i'm mashing the keyboard without having to think or tryhard

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

DancingShade posted:

I like this idea so my patented proprietary nanobots will instead electrically stimulate the parts of your brain that make you want to slavishly buy whatever crap I'm advertising by removing your impulse control and higher reasoning. Enjoy ordering 50 drums of vanilla scented wallpaper with a photo realistic baked beans pattern on them.

that's a good idea, perhaps we'll have to include a "kill all opposing nanobots and unpersuaded brain cells" routine and let them fight it out.

I could go for a big bowl of baked beans with bacon while burning a vanilla candle right now, though

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Biplane posted:

The material cause is, the people who invented a method to make kids illiterate did so to get money.

I think there's an important step in the middle that's 'material' in as much as its key to make the decision.

You actively decide not to see if the impact of this change holds true. First 'trust the expert' (whoever told you) then convince yourself it's easy to go back if the gamble doesn't work. Surely 100s of education boards won't letnsomething bad slip by? You're just suggesting an alternative (with millions in marketing).

I'd say this has always been the case, but having actual experts who have studied this on boards means a crticial mass won't build. But this means lots of academics or professional teachers with time to study and think, not chase funding or teach 100%.

To stretch this out, regulators fill a similar role by being involved enough in critical decision making (standards, guides, audits etc) that if a bad decision is made there's a clear gently caress up. That means personal culpability and hesitancy to make a reckless call. Good things regulators are healthy.

While there's mad cash to be made with these idiotic gambles it'll always be an issue. If a society doesn't put enough effort into swimming against that tide they're only ever going backwards. Or, you know, a society could just decide to stop the profit motive.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah. This is going to turn out to be a bigger problem than any government in particular wants to say, but holy poo poo just learn how to write emails and form letters.

Yeah, this is something a 6th grade student could do. I don't know how that company exists.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

Yeah, this is something a 6th grade student could do.

Not anymore it's not, lmao

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Biplane posted:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Biplane posted:

Yes, it is. Boomers on the other hand will file a support ticket for you to come turn on their printer.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Azuth0667 posted:

Yes, it is. Boomers on the other hand will file a support ticket for you to come turn on their printer.

turn on my monitor while you’re at it

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Azuth0667 posted:

no, all six graders know is eat hot chip, lie, tiktok, and social media. tech literacy for anyone 18 or younger is beyond depressing, if you think it isn't, you just haven't been around enough kids.

the boomer will manage to file a support ticket, the zoomer will try to find the it guy and ask him to fix it in person because web pages and keyboards are scary

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Frosted Flake posted:

Introduction/Thesis

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Supporting Argument
Evidence/Quote
Explanation

Conclusion/Summary

Insahallah

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Minera posted:

no, all six graders know is eat hot chip, lie, tiktok, and social media. tech literacy for anyone 18 or younger is beyond depressing, if you think it isn't, you just haven't been around enough kids.

I literally work directly with the feeder school districts for my university. The kids are alright when it comes to technology and, for the most part, are more than capable of sending a passable email. They're more than happy to pretend they can't to get out of doing work but how is that any different from the average computer toucher?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, the difference between kids and boomers is that kids are actually willing to learn.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The nice thing about boomers is they’re really starting to die a lot

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Minera posted:

the boomer will manage to file a support ticket, the zoomer will try to find the it guy and ask him to fix it in person because web pages and keyboards are scary

built a gaming pc with my son and teaching him how to play world of warcraft for his long term success

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW1CrQu_H6E

Go to 1:30

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Dude same.

Not the physics obviously, and it takes a little longer, but I write very good notes on patient encounters and I chart everything I do. I use my assessment and plans to basically send messages to myself in the future. “Consider x…” is a way I tell myself what to do next time I see them, because I’m going to forget my thought process in the next month/300 patients later. It also helps me any time there’s a disagreement or family concern. One of my first mentors banged into my head once to write notes like they’re going to appear on a court room wall and I’ve taken that to heart.

My parents made sure until fourth grade I was at the best school they could afford and it was a huge advantage for me reading wise. Also math because I’m pretty sure I was taught something resembling common core in the 90s.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Minera posted:

I consider it my god-given right to tease anyone younger than me who hunts and pecks for typing. I've managed to get a few to stop being like that.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What was New Math, and what do they teach American kids now?

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/02/10/us/mojave-helicopter-crash/index.html

helicopters keeping doing more for us than any other contraption

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Scarabrae posted:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/02/10/us/mojave-helicopter-crash/index.html

helicopters keeping doing more for us than any other contraption

Just think - this is before all the loose stingers dumped on Ukraine have fully made it onto the Belgian illegal arms market.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

you can use geocentric epicycle theory to predict an eclipse, but you couldn't use it to orbit a spacecraft

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Frosted Flake posted:

What was New Math, and what do they teach American kids now?

my kid is in 2nd grade and they way they teach math at her school is more algorithm based compared to what people learned in the 80s and earlier.

it’s actually pretty cool and it carries over to other fields. I can see how some parents might hate it because it forces them to consider their current understanding of numbers and reluctance to examine the problem differently instead of brute forcing calculations.

now, we live in an expensive school district. and with that wealth and stability you get results like my kid’s current math score on some metric is 72% higher than same grade in district;however, it is 90% higher in same grade across the nation.

also, she has a single sign in to all these online math programs like Prodigy Math which is a jrpg deck based math program so those same concepts are used to grind you characters. she loves playing it and I taught her to use scrap paper so she keeps that writing/brain connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

Just think - this is before all the loose stingers dumped on Ukraine have fully made it onto the Belgian illegal arms market.

Ministry for the Future blowing up airlines plot line?