Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the greatest love story in video games?
This poll is closed.
Tidus & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 14 7.37%
Wakka & Lulu (Final Fantasy X) 8 4.21%
Wakka & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 1 0.53%
Lulu & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 13 6.84%
Rikku & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 3 1.58%
Kimahri & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 2 1.05%
Tidus & Ifrit (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Yuna & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Wakka & Wakka (Final Fantasy X) 70 36.84%
Auron & Kimahri (Final Fantasy X) 23 12.11%
Kimahri & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 15 7.89%
Yuna & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 9 4.74%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I think it's less about missing the handholds and more about now players will go around interacting with every little dent in a cliffside thinking they can climb it.

I mean, that's the real problem right. I was kinda joking with "Breath of the Wild made everything climbable" but I think the real problem with the yellow paint stuff is the frustration that you have these tools to navigate the environment, but the yellow paint makes it transparent that you're not actually *navigating the environment*, you're just on the very specific rails that the level designers put for you. It breaks the illusion that you're exploring a world, not because of the yellow paint being artificial, but because the yellow paint makes it more transparent than ever that you can't just climb anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Muscle Tracer posted:

What these over-detailed games really need is an entire team making animations for the protagonist fondling every useless greeble in the world, trying to check if it has any function, then shrugging and shaking their head.

I think the protagonist should constantly say unprompted things like "It looks like I can climb that wall" and "What if there was a way up.... Hmm... those crates".

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think the protagonist should constantly say unprompted things like "It looks like I can climb that wall" and "What if there was a way up.... Hmm... those crates".
And then when you try to climb them they go "Ah...guess not"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I am assuming/hoping the characters at least don’t constantly mutter to themselves aloy-ishly

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Volte posted:

And then when you try to climb them they go "Ah...guess not"

This is ideal. Sort of a Stanley Parable thing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you get lost the protagonist should say things like "rear end! gently caress" and "What were they THINKING"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And if you don't do anything for a few seconds the character says "I wish there was some yellow paint on the critical path"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I do like the bit in Stanley Parable where the narrator concludes you just aren't able to find the right path and introduces the Adventure Line, a yellow line you're supposed to just follow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maybe the hero's companions could also give helpful advice, telling you if it's raining, or the preferences of wolves

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I remember one of the lines for trying to open a locked door in Dead Rising 2: Off the Record was Frank West yelling "this BLOWS!" and somehow that was the funniest poo poo ever

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Games should not be designed, they should only ever be generated.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Generated by AI, very few if any employees.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I remember one of the lines for trying to open a locked door in Dead Rising 2: Off the Record was Frank West yelling "this BLOWS!" and somehow that was the funniest poo poo ever

In the proud tradition of Duke Nukem grunting “where is it”

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I walk offstage from my presentation for Nvidia to raucous applause, as the text of “Frame Generation” from my powerpoint morphs into “Game Generation”

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I walk offstage from my presentation for Nvidia to raucous applause, as the text of “Frame Generation” from my powerpoint morphs into “Game Generation”

Half-Life 3 appears right after as a next-gen game generation title.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Muscle Tracer posted:

Then it solved that problem with

"They feed us poison, so we buy their cure"

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

hatty posted:

Games are too detailed for players it seems. Please make them look worse, around PS3 quality but with higher resolutions and framerates should suffice

Better graphics are not about adding tons of details. That's the kind of thinking that gets you Overwatch 2 designs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DemoneeHo posted:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

It breaks the illusion that you're exploring a world, not because of the yellow paint being artificial, but because the yellow paint makes it more transparent than ever that you can't just climb anywhere.

It's a little odd because how often does anyone climb poo poo? Almost never. The amount of people who can straight up freeclimb, even if they are very strong adventure explorers, is extremely limited. You'd be looking for ways over and around things that aren't climbing and dragging up everything you have with you too.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Everyone should live in a hoarder house because the additional details make it a superior experience to smooth walls and clean floors.

Oxxidation posted:

I am assuming/hoping the characters at least don’t constantly mutter to themselves aloy-ishly

Just fill the character's head with outside voices that mutter to them instead.

(I love you Hellblade)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

DemoneeHo posted:

I EMPHATICALLY hate it when games have not only challenges, but tools oriented towards solving those challenges. What kind of game design is that?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Muscle Tracer posted:

I EMPHATICALLY hate it when games have not only challenges, but tools oriented towards solving those challenges. What kind of game design is that?

The frog suit isn't really a tool for solving a challenge of climbing under rain, it's just about disabling the rain's effect. It's a key. A key isn't a tool for solving a door, it just opens it. A tool would be something that helps you take, steal, make or otherwise obtain the key, or open the door without the key. People's beef with climbing under the rain in Zelda is that it's pretty much "does it rain Y/N, do you have the frog suit Y/N, come back another time". It's not about finding a path that spares your stamina like regular climbing. At best it's about sidestepping the climb using catapults or rockets or magical stakes or whatever the same way you'd have sidestepped a normal climb. It's a pity because there are other rain-disabled things that have tools for player expression in solving them (like improvising a shelter to light a fire, but you cannot similarly block rain along a cliff, even if you build a roof above it).

Chev fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 11, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
TotK fixed it by making climbing only a consideration for dingbats.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Imagine using the frog suit instead of simply conjuring a rocket platform that shoots me 15x higher than the ledge I’m trying to reach

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Every morning when I wake up I open hand palm slam FF7 rebirth into my PS5, and I'm right there with Cloud leaping onto my aircon and then freeclimbing onto my roof.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Chev posted:

It's a pity because there are other rain-disabled things that have tools for player expression in solving them (like improvising a shelter to light a fire, but you cannot similarly block rain along a cliff, even if you build a roof above it).
one of my most poignant BOTW memories is encountering rain for the first time trying to climb a small hill, slipping around like crazy until finding that the hill jutted out just enough to act as awning, so i set my campfire up right below and woke up to the next day's sunshine. the whole process felt really magical

then at some point it seemed it rained every other day and yeah that scenario got less magical with every further pour. funny to hear that totk's solution was loving armor, of course

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Chev posted:

A key isn't a tool for solving a door, it just opens it.

What... what do you think a tool is, or how a tool works?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

hatty posted:

Games are too detailed for players it seems. Please make them look worse, around PS3 quality but with higher resolutions and framerates should suffice

People love Stranger of Paradise so this checks out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m gonna climb cliffs

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The yellow paint thing bugs the hell out of me because it's like... oh no, clear distinct language that makes it easy to instantly identify something? How could video games do this! This is totally unique and new and not the reason every loving explosive box/barrel/container/etc is bright red in 90% of video games because people have identified that bright red = explodes.

What about red in mirrors edge?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chev posted:

First, it used to be done diegetically, ie the red barrels were the in-game Red Barrel: We explode'em good! brand. It's done in real life, we make dangerous or important stuff bright colors so people will notice them. We put signs around them, leading to them, we put decals on them. We do not apply random splotches of paint. And because it works diegetically and also like that in real life, this prompts the inverse reaction: who's the goober who went around painting cliffs in yellow?

Second, it's the detective vision problem: those objects need to be highlighted in intrusive way because they didn't think of using the non-intrusive way. There's a whole bunch of tricks, in cinema, art and gaming, designed to direct the attention of the viewer or player and highlight specific objects, and yellow paint games just don't use them. Like, why do those climbable rocks look so much like the non-climbable ones that you have to apply splotches of paint? Because the art director's poo poo, that's why. Different rock colors, different values, different lighting, different texture, surrouding layout, there's so much stuff they could've used,tricks invented centuries ago, usually during renaissance. But of course underpaid and overworked artists just aren't taught them properly.

No they weren't. Red barrels were just red barrels, occasionally with flammable on them. There was nothing 'diagetic' about them. Red barrels were explosive because red barrels being explosive was the language the games used and continue to use. They were not realistic or even generally explained beyond Explode. There's plenty of other examples of language in gaming that is absolutely 100% unrealistic but we've grown to accept, ranging from 'shotguns are short range and powerful' to 'a glowing thing is probably something you should shoot.' Nobody gives bosses a glowing eyeball weak point because they consider it realistic.

And as far as the second part goes: No, the were not 'invented centuries ago' because video games are a fairly modern creation and the visual language of movies or pictures doesn't apply to them. Figuring out the exact language that makes them work is still an ongoing process and unlike most things you have to deal with the fact that your audience in a game will have control over things which means you can't depend on some obvious tricks of design that a movie can to draw attention.

And it isn't like we haven't had years of this and countless different examples to point to. Designated climbing points look artificial no matter what they try because they have to stand out and be recognizable as a matter of design.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

cumpantry posted:

funny to hear that totk's solution was loving armor, of course

Totks solution is to make climbing conpletely optional

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Wildtortilla posted:

Now that's crazy talk. Nobody's going to look at a red ladder.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So far the quests in Skyrim has been really good. Especially In My Time of Need where there's no way of knowing if you did the right thing. I chose to side the Alik'r, primarily because they're hard to fight.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

In Uncharted; The Lost Legacy you got a prompt to lock pick a glass door but before you can complete it Nadine smashes the door open.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Red isn't exclusively used for explosives of course and in the case of Mirror's Edge it was used because the game was about quickly running from location to location without stopping and they needed an eyecatching instantly visible color to make it clear where your next interaction could be. It's not 'realistic' but it isn't trying to be because it's a video game.

Like "bright color that shows interactable' isn't anything new.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If yellow paint makes things claimable why don't they simply make the entire world, out of the yellow paint

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Alhazred posted:

So far the quests in Skyrim has been really good. Especially In My Time of Need where there's no way of knowing if you did the right thing. I chose to side the Alik'r, primarily because they're hard to fight.

In Uncharted; The Lost Legacy you got a prompt to lock pick a glass door but before you can complete it Nadine smashes the door open.

Are you just playing Skyrim now? Jealous tbh. It gets a lot of flak now because everyone's sick of it and it's shallow but I dunno, I had a good time. Might reinstall.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

GlyphGryph posted:

What... what do you think a tool is, or how a tool works?
Going by wikipedia, a tool extends someone's abilities to interact with their environment, while a key's just an access token. A hammer focuses your ability to deliver impacts, allowing a wide range of uses. This extends to game design, where those terms are used the same way.

Take the bomb in latest Zeldas for example. Yeah, it can open passages by removing obstacles, but it's also a way to attack, to cause diversions with noise, to move heavy objects, to propel yourself and a billion other things. Even in earliest zeldas it had both the weapon and tunneling uses. A key just opens doors. The frog suits just ignores rain's effects on climbable surfaces (which is even more striking because actual keys in BOtW/TotK tend to be physical obejcts that you can in fact use for other purposes thanks to the other tools granted to you).

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

People want to put design decisions like "yellow painted ledges" into a little tool box where art directors and designers pull out individual single solutions and "plug them in" to the "problem" they are working on that day. Problem solved by Solution, time to move on down the list. The reality is that game design is messy and dumb, and designers are messy and dumb and sometimes there's no time to invent a better solution or do the research or do the testing or no resources to implement the great idea someone had but couldn't pull off in time or it was left to the last minute and a solution had to be implemented quickly, or the creative director really likes yellow painted ledges and no one can convince them otherwise or or or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Totks solution is to make climbing conpletely optional

if you want to screw around with a garry's mod minigame at 20 fps maybe