Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RareAcumen posted:

What're some more (I don't know how to perfectly phrase this) JRPGs for adults? Like, Yakuza, Drakengard, NIER, and Tactics Ogre are about all I can think of and I wonder what I'm either not thinking of or just ignoring as I slap down another 60$ for the next Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem Engage when I get through my current backlog.

troubleshooter abandoned children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Snooze Cruise posted:

troubleshooter abandoned children

Gonna back Snooze’s play here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

If arguing over whether and game's lore justifies any character being above a C-cup isn't a fun conversation I've got a much dumber conversation to discuss if anyone wants.

What're some more (I don't know how to perfectly phrase this) JRPGs for adults? Like, Yakuza, Drakengard, NIER, and Tactics Ogre are about all I can think of and I wonder what I'm either not thinking of or just ignoring as I slap down another 60$ for the next Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem Engage when I get through my current backlog.

Can you clarify what you mean? Like 'for adults' is a really loaded phrase which could mean a lot and tying Yakuza and Nier and Tactics Ogre together doesn't give a lot to go on.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

ImpAtom posted:

Can you clarify what you mean? Like 'for adults' is a really loaded phrase which could mean a lot and tying Yakuza and Nier and Tactics Ogre together doesn't give a lot to go on.

I asked a similar question a while ago and the best way I could narrow it down is a game where the majority/all of the characters are adults, and the plot is more complex than just beating the bad guy. And just generally that the writing level assumes you are an adult.

This actually includes a lot of games. Like, basically most Final Fantasies qualify under this metric, but there seems like oddly few 'FF-likes' if that makes sense. But there's a lot of games about being plucky teens (see: Personas 3-5, most Trails games).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

If arguing over whether and game's lore justifies any character being above a C-cup isn't a fun conversation I've got a much dumber conversation to discuss if anyone wants.

SRW T

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Triangle Strategy.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time feels like it's kind of in between; a cast where a lot of the characters are not clearly "adult" but they feel more so than say Persona's cast, though the setting helps with that I guess.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
triangle strategy feels more on the cusp to me, but still its on the cusp enough where that was a big point in its favor for me

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

triangle strategy feels more on the cusp to me

I mean if Tactics Ogre is fine I can't imagine why TS isn't. TO's protagonist is 16.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ImpAtom posted:

I mean if Tactics Ogre is fine I can't imagine why TS isn't. TO's protagonist is 16.

im not no TO expert because i don't play bad games, i am just talking about the game i played more of an enjoyed 🥰

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway I was kinda being glib but SRWT is a legit reccomendation for "RPG aimed at adults" and I think it fits that better than a good number of games that were listed. Like yeah Nier is all about Dad feelings but that's kinda like a broadly marketable theme when you get down to it, while SRW T is very specifically about salaryman feelings. It's got like thoughts about religiously doing OT for a job you hate, or reflections on how where you've ended up working is completely different from what you studied and how that's kinda alienating

It's way more specifcally about topics that I feel are only really going to hit for people who are full time in the workforce (though I guess teens dealing with casual work could probably get something from it as well).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Not really, that's what that post is so bad. :v: Something between like: M-rated or you probably want to be there with your kid if they're playing them I think.

Like every Yakuza game has at least 4 people getting shot (often to death!) Amidst all the very visceral violence when you shove an entire knife into some random mook down to the hilt or skewering then with a sword.

TO Let Us Cling together has that whole Law vs Chaos option of joining in on doing a false flag extermination of an entire town to gain support for your rebellion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FepMxXXiUQ

Maybe I'm being weird about this, I dunno, I feel like most stuff generally floats around the Lego marketing level of 'good for ages 10 and up' like most Square and Nintendo stuff does. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for either, something less Beyblade and more Big O-ish I suppose? This might all just be a bunch of words about a vibes situation I can't figure out tbh.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Microsoft Flight Simulator is a game for adults, in the sense that most kids would find it boring and/or incomprehensible.

Other early PC games like Myst and Wizardry were probably marketed at adults at the time?

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 12, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished mystic quest. awful game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Not really, that's what that post is so bad. :v: Something between like: M-rated or you probably want to be there with your kid if they're playing them I think.

xenoblade chronicles 2 apparently

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

A lot of RPGs, even 'mature' ones also seem to generally be averse (yes, there are exceptions) to having the heroes do something devious or doing something that might be questionable in service of a greater good.

Like in FF16, Clive basically never does anything that isn't straightforwardly 'good'. Compare to Dion, who rallies his troops and launches a coup against his own father and a creepy child. Still heroic and obviously a necessary thing but it's something a 'hero' rarely gets to do.

It's basically a Suikoden 2 fangame, but free RPGmaker game Exit Fate was interesting in terms of how often it subverted this, with its main character Daniel being a nice chill guy who nevertheless has no issue backstabbing the hell out of people if he thinks it results in less death, and basically refusing to accept a situation of "We're sending you into a suicide mission to get rid of you" that most JRPG heroes tend to just accept.

edit: The ending is a fun one too since other than Suikoden 2, Xenogears is actually a plot influence. It's revealed that the 'demon' occasionally possessing Daniel, 'The Hand of Fate', was put there at his birth to make him into a conqueror who would unite the world in peace.
It might not have happened the way Daniel's father wanted it, but... the plan is a success. By the end of the game, Daniel has defeated the governments of the three major nations and united them under him.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 12, 2024

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i think langrisser belongs in the pantheon of adult jrpgs if we're throwing names into the hat. the remake is really good imho even if betty is a weird add

someone mentioned xenogears earlier, that belongs in there. it also has sex in it, i know there was chat about that earlier itt

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

finished mystic quest. awful game

Now while objectively you may be right, emotionally to me you are wrong and worthy of only for comedic effect hyperbolic scorn.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

hubris.height posted:

i think langrisser belongs in the pantheon of adult jrpgs if we're throwing names into the hat. the remake is really good imho even if betty is a weird add

someone mentioned xenogears earlier, that belongs in there. it also has sex in it, i know there was chat about that earlier itt

It has sex and lots of hosed up violence. Our main hero and heroine also eat people at one point.

I'd throw Shin Megami Tensei into the realm of "adult" JRPGs. It was just mentioned how JRPGs generally don't let our heroes even approach a morally ambiguous line. Well, SMT lets you take a running leap over that line depending on the route and game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

NikkolasKing posted:

It has sex and lots of hosed up violence. Our main hero and heroine also eat people at one point.

I'd throw Shin Megami Tensei into the realm of "adult" JRPGs. It was just mentioned how JRPGs generally don't let our heroes even approach a morally ambiguous line. Well, SMT lets you take a running leap over that line depending on the route and game.

oh yeah xenogears has the goods for adult themes. smt is a good call, can't believe that wasn't the first thing i thought of

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

RareAcumen posted:

Maybe I'm being weird about this, I dunno, I feel like most stuff generally floats around the Lego marketing level of 'good for ages 10 and up' like most Square and Nintendo stuff does. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for either, something less Beyblade and more Big O-ish I suppose? This might all just be a bunch of words about a vibes situation I can't figure out tbh.

troubleshooter abandoned children B)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

So far Parasite Eve seems to be aiming for a more adult crowd than FF or DQ. It's science might offend anyone with more than an elementary education though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you're gonna get mad at parasite eve's science get mad at the novel/film it's a sequel to. that was way worse and it's where it's pulling all that stuff from

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bewilderment posted:

A lot of RPGs, even 'mature' ones also seem to generally be averse (yes, there are exceptions) to having the heroes do something devious or doing something that might be questionable in service of a greater good.
i mean im not sure why you're putting mature in quotes because that concept and maturity are not the same thing even remotely

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Ramadu posted:

Is it the same as the iOS one?

Sorry I never replied earlier, but yes, the Android version of Lunar is the same as the current iOS version.

(And if you played it long ago, the iOS game got a complete rewrite about a year or two ago.)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

bewilderment posted:

I think it's a very funny bit to bemoan games lack of maturity and your definition of it being "They do some hosed up things for the greater good". It's a very funny bit and you got a chuckle out of me. Very droll.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I was scrolling through my Steam library looking at all the games I own but haven't played, and realized I have a bunch of Tales games and haven't played any of them.

So, between the following, which would be a fun one to start with?

Symphonia
Vesperia
Zestiria
Berseria
Arise

I know basically nothing about the series other than that the assorted games aren't related to one another in terms of plot or setting, and that apparently each one has a weird subtitle/theme that doesn't make sense to me, at least when reading it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
berseria

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Awesome, will do!

What stands out about it?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
as for the rest, arise is weird cause it's just a mostly unrelated rpg that got rebranded as tales, vesperia is okay but slow, symphonia is kind of a mess, and zestiria is a weird and deeply unfinished mess

Annath posted:

Awesome, will do!

What stands out about it?

goes for a weirder, somewhat more berserk-inspired aesthetic, which leads to it having a pretty distinct and fun party. combat's kinda simplistic and they don't explain it the best but if you're okay with mashing buttons it's decent fun and the story goes some cool places.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
berseria and zestiria are the rare set of tales games that are directly tied narratively but most of berseria's existence is like. an attempt to cover for zestiria and turn its story and setting into something coherent. so you don't have to play zestiria to get any of it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Symphonia is a boring mess most of the time and is filled with dungeons made of puzzles that aren't difficult to understand but designed to make you waste your time solving them even when you've known the solution since the beginning.

On top of that the story and cast are...Not good and kind of peter out in fits in starts and nothing really feels like it has any real pacing or weight. There's multiple massive reveals that recontextualize history you've learned that are just kind of dumped in your lap mid cutscene back to back and that happens at least 4 times I can remember off the top of my head.

It's an okay starter one but I don't think there's much it tries to do that wasn't handled better in games before and after it in the franchise. It gets a lot of love because it was one of the few jRPGs on the gamecube so it got lot wider and audience than it normally would.

I think it's kind of worth looking at (If the PC port was every fixed which I don't know if it did).

Zesteria is a hard loving pass except for the japanese version of the opening animation because the song is pretty good and was cut from the NA release.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Well, I'll definitely try Berseria then.

Sounds like the others I have aren't very good, which is a shame. Well, Arise has good reviews at least?

Any other standout games in the series to look for? It looks like the ones I have are all that are on Steam, but I can certainly check out the others on an emulator or something.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Symphonia is more of a you had to be there thing, it has a special place in my heart but at the same time wouldn't recommend playing it as an adult in 2024 unless you truly have an excess of time to burn.

Symphonia-Vesperia-Abyss are all very similar to each other. Vesperia is a fanbase favorite and is probably more worth revisiting than Symphonia but has a lot of the same flaws as Symphonia. People really like Abyss in this thread for the writing but it's only available on 3DS and PS2 I think.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 12, 2024

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I actually rather like Zestiria, even if it's a hot mess. For some reason, it just gelled with me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Annath posted:

Sounds like the others I have aren't very good, which is a shame. Well, Arise has good reviews at least?

Any other standout games in the series to look for? It looks like the ones I have are all that are on Steam, but I can certainly check out the others on an emulator or something.

they're... fine but they're not among the better games in the series. vesperia has its fans but i have a lot of issues with it.

the one i'd probably give the most immediate rec to out of the non-pc ones is tales of eternia, it's on the shorter side and my favorite game in the entire series. both ps1 and psp versions should be pretty easy to emulate. tales of the abyss is really good too if you don't mind some ps2 jank

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Annath posted:

Vesperia is p. good. Tales of Graces has some of the best mechanics in the franchise but just and okay story but it's worth checking out. Xillia has some issue but I think overall is pretty neat and the Xillia-2 sequel is trying it's best to get the most out of reused assets and it's pretty fun over all if you enjoyed the cast from the first game. Tales of the Abyss is definitely worth looking at and I've got a soft spot for Legendia (and rebirth but I'll admit that one's not the good).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rebirth is cool...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'll add those all to my list lol.

Although it looks like Graces is only on... Wii and PS3?? Does it have WAGGLE mechanics? Because I try to avoid Wii emulation since WAGGLE is a pain to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the wii version isn't tled and is very bad so you don't wanna play that one anyway. the ps3 version is an updated rerelease with bugfixes and new content and it emulates pretty well these days