Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

As an example, what benefit would there be by not warning a rape survivor in advance that there will be graphic scenes of rape? I'm struggling to see why anyone wouldn't want to warn them. Of course we didn't have trigger warnings when Fiennes was young, but we also called gay people the F word and black people the N word. I like to think we've progressed just a little bit as a society over the past few decades.

e: 233, the number of page snipes I've had in this thread over the past week

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Art isn't food you plank.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_art .

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

I think some content warnings are a little eye rolling. Ian Mckellin was moaning about some for his new play "there is reference to smoking’, ‘there is reference to bereavement’

Who decided these need to be listed?

People who might not want to be ambushed by their own grief erupting in the middle of a show?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Michael Caine seems to be enjoying himself

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Mebh, for what little it's worth, I'm sorry about your mum. And TQIRL, condolences on the death of your daughter.

Trigger warnings world arouse less ire if they were called something different. Thematic tags? Content classification?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure they would given that the fundamental complaint is people being pathologically averse to even trying to consider the needs of others.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Who gives a poo poo about trigger warnings? I mean really. Have I rolled my eyes at some that seemed silly to me? Yeah, for sure. But they aren't for me, it's fine.

Also not listening to some oval office called Ralph who insists it's pronounced his own special snowflake way. gently caress off

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
As someone with a dietary condition I can appreciate good labeling on any product intended for human consumption. Why not media?

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Jakabite posted:

I couldn’t disagree more. No other animal that’s ever existed has had the capacity for kindness, selflessness and community that humans do. Some of us are bad and all of us do bad things sometimes but I can’t imagine going through life believing myself and everyone around me to be intrinsically awful.

Awful wasn't the best choice of word there on reflection, implying as it does that people are less 'good' than they should be. They evolutionary process that got us here simply didn't equip us to make non-awful choices in the environment we have created for ourselves. Yes, we are capable of kindness and selflessness. But self interest and short term thinking are deeply rooted in our nature, along with a whole host of behaviors that leave us wide open to the manipulative social/economic/religious systems that have resulted in hundreds of millions dead from wars and democide in the last century alone.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

crispix posted:

he's just another silly old out of touch oval office

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Strong "I'd be masturbating right now if I could get away with it" vibes, right there

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Good points:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Also when you see a film either at the cinema or on video/DVD in the UK there is actually (or used to be? dunno if there still is?) a BBFC certificate which also contains a warning of the kinds of content in the movie, right?

And for as long as I can remember there have been warnings on TV about stuff. I'm talking like 30 years ago. "The following program contains blah blah blah". Not for everything, but that is definitely a kind of message I've seen on stuff going back to when I was a kid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WhatEvil posted:

Also when you see a film either at the cinema or on video/DVD in the UK there is actually (or used to be? dunno if there still is?) a BBFC certificate which also contains a warning of the kinds of content in the movie, right?

That's relatively recent, it postdates the 1982 rating changes. The AA rating that was in use when Fiennes was young served as a generic warning that you might not want to take your kids to this one, but it didn't get more specific unless the marketing campaign wanted it to.

Thing is, though, in those days it didn’t have to. There was much less available content and no instant access, you'd plan a trip to the cinema rather than just go on spec and so you'd learn what you could about a film before putting it on your schedule. Nobody went into Kramer vs Kramer not knowing it was about a messy divorce, nobody needed warning about the suicidal ideation in The Deer Hunter because it was watercooler talk. Nowadays there's just too much media to do that and it's much more readily available, which is why rating boxes have become more specific and theatre productions have had to take on a task that previously would have been done by word of mouth.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Darth Walrus posted:

I can see the smoking/alcohol trigger warnings being handy for addicts who are trying to quit, at least.

As an ex smoker the idea that seeing someone smoking should be considered a trigger warning is kind of insulting. It is not some trauma I'm getting over.

What about ones for people dieting?
Or ones where animals are eaten for vegans?
What about blasphemy? Some people find that upsetting, there are hundreds of examples of these types of things you could put down, doesn't mean you should.

I think my point is there seems to be 2 categories of warnings.

You have the big ones like domestic/sexual abuse which I do think are needed, actual traumatic events. And then your have all these other minor ones which I think are somewhat defeat the point of content warnings, lessen them and are a bit silly.

The Question IRL posted:

and you care so much about not being spoiled , you just don't have to read the brief content warning.

Apparently some productions read them out to the audience at the start.
If it was standardised like film as other people have mentioned the issue would probably become mute. The BBC have cliffnotes on the rating, then have far more details on their website.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 12, 2024

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The recent phenomenon of people clutching their pearls over spoilers is infinitely more pathetic than people wanting trigger warnings tbh. Oh boo-loving-boo, you saw a trailer that gave away that your favourite Marvel character visits his home planet at some point the movie and now the whole thing is RUINED! Genuine emotional harm has been done!

Tbh if the only thing that matters about a piece of media is the plot being a surprise when you go in, it's totally disposable anyway, so who gives a poo poo?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
He was a ghost all along

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

On a more serious note. How many dead bodies are in the Thames if the police just accidentally find 2 after 1 day of looking?
Maybe it's something we should be regularly dredging?

The Perfect Element posted:

The recent phenomenon of people clutching their pearls over spoilers is infinitely more pathetic than people wanting trigger warnings tbh. Oh boo-loving-boo, you saw a trailer that gave away that your favourite Marvel character visits his home planet at some point the movie and now the whole thing is RUINED! Genuine emotional harm has been done!

Tbh if the only thing that matters about a piece of media is the plot being a surprise when you go in, it's totally disposable anyway, so who gives a poo poo?

Oh no this hill I will die on. I hate spoilers and do think they lessen a piece of media's impact and wish it was just the comic book films doing it.

Gotten to the point that I just don't watch trailers anymore.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 12, 2024

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jedit posted:

Nobody went into Kramer vs Kramer not knowing it was about a messy divorce

I thought it was a Mr and Mrs Smith type of deal

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jedit posted:

Nobody went into Kramer vs Kramer not knowing it was about a messy divorce
TIL what Kramer vs. Kramer is about

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TACD posted:

TIL what Kramer vs. Kramer is about

Yeah, but the point is that you didn’t go into it.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I gave Seinfeld a go, but I never got as far as any spin-offs

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Not to needle you on this but I think this post makes some very good points in its own odd way

Mega Comrade posted:

I think my point is there seems to be 2 categories of warnings.

You have the big ones like domestic/sexual abuse which I do think are needed, actual traumatic events. And then your have all these other minor ones which I think are somewhat defeat the point of content warnings, lessen them and are a bit silly.

I think a lot of people who take issue with some warnings, but still think there is a use for others, would see things in a similar way. There seems to be some threshold by which things 'matter' or not (as you've put actual traumatic events) and the challenges are 1) identifying where that threshold lies and 2) classifying accordingly so that things aren't hopping back and forth over the threshold. Given there's no standard yet, this is quite subjective bound by context, experience, and empathy.

Mega Comrade posted:

As an ex smoker the idea that seeing someone smoking should be considered a trigger warning is kind of insulting. It is not some trauma I'm getting over.

This is a good indicator of how we use our experience to make a judgement on whether the issue matters or not (to ourselves). In your earlier post, you used bereavement as a parallel example to smoking as a silly content warning but have stopped using it here. It's not a stretch to say that some bereavement can be an actual traumatic event and some example of a trauma that people, including people currently posting in this thread, are getting over. I'm taking a punt here but I'm guessing it's been dropped for either: bereavement now counts as something worth warning about (reflective, empathetic, admirable) or it still doesn't but that requires maintaining that bereavement is a silly thing towards people who are experiencing it (context rendering this obviously a dick move).

And that sets out the big issue of challenge 2 above - the 'silly list' contains things evaluated as not being worth a warning (and arguably diminishing the whole value of the system) but also things that haven't been meaningfully evaluated. I would hope that bereavement now counts on the 'reasonable list' for you, having given it some thought. So, do things belong on the silly list or have those things just not been evaluated properly? To use your examples and my judgement:

What about ones for people dieting? - given its close relation to eating disorders, which I would say depictions of would definitely be an issue, probably 'yes' based on how intensively the depiction is made.
Or ones where animals are eaten for vegans? - no in our current culture, but if we shift to a more vegan society & i can no longer safely ignore my own role as a meat-eater in the industrial slaughter of animals, probably should be.
What about blasphemy? - at present no as it's silly, but would make sense to have historically been used (and has been used informally by religious groups in our own time in attempts to ban, rather than inform as a content warning).

I'd never thought about these before but taking some time to evaluate them, I see contexts for each of these where there may be a yes for these outside of my own experience and opinions on the topics.

Mega Comrade posted:

If it was standardised like film as other people have mentioned the issue would probably become mute. The BBC have cliffnotes on the rating, then have far more details on their website.

What you are seeing is unfortunately the process preceding standardisation. Standards set out without a backing body of knowledge aren't especially useful. I imagine it will come and it will be embedded in our 'common sense' as much as the age ratings system is.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The problem is old fashioned one size fits all media. Its no longer necessary, as we have the technology now to edit and shape every piece of art to the bespoke individual tastes of each viewer. Using a combination of data scraped psychometric profiling of social media, ai audio/video generation and possibly even real time user iris/body language/fitbit monitoring its possible to ensure no one ever experiences anything they needn't have or want to, and not just when they sit down for an hour or two to expressly consume art. I think theres been black mirrors about this.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
trigger warning

Only registered members can see post attachments!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the bar's open, del!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Yes folks! It’s that time again! It’s time for Pisspoor Dogshit Cartoon about Northern Ireland of the week!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

We have to cross fingers for Charles because it's clearly something he is unable to do.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Is she "miss referendum" to Sunak's ...whatever the hell wearing a union jack kilt is supposed to be? Or is it a beach towel, who the gently caress knows? Also why does he have such a huge nose? If they wanted to take the piss surely it'd be better to just draw him always holding bags of money or some poo poo rather than going after his fairly banal features?

God political comics are poo poo.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

smellmycheese posted:

Yes folks! It’s that time again! It’s time for Pisspoor Dogshit Cartoon about Northern Ireland of the week!

Whats the joke here?

Norn Irish FM is a milf baddie, and British PM is small and weak.

They'd as well have used a virgin/chad meme.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

keep punching joe posted:

They'd as well have used a virgin/chad meme.

Turns out we were the British Virgin Islands all along

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Microplastics posted:

He was a ghost all along

We're talking film, not Starmer here.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Microplastics posted:

He was a ghost all along

I pretty much guessed this immediately in that film.

It sucked, film for babies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Turns out we were the British Virgin Islands all along

Well, we're not Chad.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I have not used it myself but seen it recommended elsewhere:

https://www.doesthedogdie.com/

Has a list of potential triggers and crowdsourced info of which ones might be in the film you’re about to watch. Probably infinitely more useful than a content warning from a studio!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Nick Thomas-Symonds has been on Radio 4 saying that the party will stand by Azhar Ali and continue to campaign in Rochdale because he's not an antisemite, he just "fell for an online conspiracy theory" but respected colleagues have known him for decades and point to his record of standing against antisemitism.

So that's all fine, then.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

pitch a fitness posted:

Not to needle you on this but I think this post makes some very good points in its own odd way

I think a lot of people who take issue with some warnings, but still think there is a use for others, would see things in a similar way. There seems to be some threshold by which things 'matter' or not (as you've put actual traumatic events) and the challenges are 1) identifying where that threshold lies and 2) classifying accordingly so that things aren't hopping back and forth over the threshold. Given there's no standard yet, this is quite subjective bound by context, experience, and empathy.

This is a good indicator of how we use our experience to make a judgement on whether the issue matters or not (to ourselves). In your earlier post, you used bereavement as a parallel example to smoking as a silly content warning but have stopped using it here. It's not a stretch to say that some bereavement can be an actual traumatic event and some example of a trauma that people, including people currently posting in this thread, are getting over. I'm taking a punt here but I'm guessing it's been dropped for either: bereavement now counts as something worth warning about (reflective, empathetic, admirable) or it still doesn't but that requires maintaining that bereavement is a silly thing towards people who are experiencing it (context rendering this obviously a dick move).

And that sets out the big issue of challenge 2 above - the 'silly list' contains things evaluated as not being worth a warning (and arguably diminishing the whole value of the system) but also things that haven't been meaningfully evaluated. I would hope that bereavement now counts on the 'reasonable list' for you, having given it some thought. So, do things belong on the silly list or have those things just not been evaluated properly? To use your examples and my judgement:

What about ones for people dieting? - given its close relation to eating disorders, which I would say depictions of would definitely be an issue, probably 'yes' based on how intensively the depiction is made.
Or ones where animals are eaten for vegans? - no in our current culture, but if we shift to a more vegan society & i can no longer safely ignore my own role as a meat-eater in the industrial slaughter of animals, probably should be.
What about blasphemy? - at present no as it's silly, but would make sense to have historically been used (and has been used informally by religious groups in our own time in attempts to ban, rather than inform as a content warning).

I'd never thought about these before but taking some time to evaluate them, I see contexts for each of these where there may be a yes for these outside of my own experience and opinions on the topics.

What you are seeing is unfortunately the process preceding standardisation. Standards set out without a backing body of knowledge aren't especially useful. I imagine it will come and it will be embedded in our 'common sense' as much as the age ratings system is.

I dropped bereavement for 2 reasons 1) because it wasn't my example in the first place but Ian Mckellens and I have less experience to draw from to judge it and 2) it's actually quite a hard thing to pin down, do we have to know the character who has died? Does it have to show the death to count? It has lots of variations I thought would bog down the discussion.

Smoking though I think is more clear cut. It's an everyday sight if you walk anywhere and isn't something you can avoid unless you decide to be a shut in for the 6+ months it takes to quite. Its a hard habit to give up but I don't think comes close to other types of warnings. Alcohol is a slightly more interesting one, its also everywhere and impossible to avoid but depictions of alcohol abuse aren't, however I'd think addicts find the former more of an issue than the latter but I don't know any to ask.

I think dieting is another interesting example, movies with characters complaining about their weight are everywhere and such a common occurrence it seems unnecessary, but then you have films and plays like The Whale where it is a central theme and show a severe eating disorder that might well benefit from a warning.

For the record I'm not dead set against all of this stuff, I think even the minor warnings can have a place, just I think the off hand "silly old man" comments were dismissive of something that is worth discussing. I get bored of nothing but discussions of how much Starmer sucks.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 12, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Good fodder for the GBS "I need to jerk off immediately!" Photoshop thread. Possibly with Gerry Adams as the cartoonist. :effort: because I'm not doing that poo poo on the work laptop

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

sebzilla posted:

Nick Thomas-Symonds has been on Radio 4 saying that the party will stand by Azhar Ali and continue to campaign in Rochdale because he's not an antisemite, he just "fell for an online conspiracy theory" but respected colleagues have known him for decades and point to his record of standing against antisemitism.

Well it's clearly not as bad as calling what's happening in Gaza a genocide, 'cos a Labour MP got suspended for doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

sebzilla posted:

hmm probably not a good idea to elect someone credulous enough to fall for online conspiracies