Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Super store update!

If you're new/just looking in this thread, you can get the currency for this stuff by playing the game and looking for shipping containers/vaults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I think the issue - and it's like the only thing dragging this game down, gently caress me do I love it - is the internal balance between weapons is pretty bad.

And I guess between strategems, too? Nothing is gonna save the 110mm Eagle strike.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

JBP posted:

I really like the grenade. In a holdout I spam them and everything burns.

E: I think fire overall isn't super useful, but maybe once we see new factions it will be. It used to stop the tech dudes using teleports in helldivers.

Napalm Strike is absolutely useful for blocking off bug breaches. The only thing that can make it through intact are tanks and they are on fire when they do.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah fire feels like more of a liability right now, like the area control can be useful, but I was expecting something more like KF or Aliens Fireteam elite flamethrower, where you absolutely murder stuff if it gets close and disrupt them more. In Helldivers the bugs don't seem particularly bothered by being lit up and will hug you if they get lit up and are close.

Do incendiary grenades still close bug holes? When I've play with randos they haven't been good about closing them with anything but airstrikes, so I'd be hard pressed to give those up.
So far without a bunch of good stratems unlocked the disposable 1 shot RPG has been really good, has a ridiculously short cool down and each use drops 2 of 'em. Though I can see once slots become the pinch point it can wind up depreciating.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Yeah, the incendiary grenades still have an AoE explosion, so clear holes and factories. The impact grenade has a little trouble with factories, but can do it in a pinch.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah fire feels like more of a liability right now, like the area control can be useful, but I was expecting something more like KF or Aliens Fireteam elite flamethrower, where you absolutely murder stuff if it gets close and disrupt them more. In Helldivers the bugs don't seem particularly bothered by being lit up and will hug you if they get lit up and are close.

Do incendiary grenades still close bug holes? When I've play with randos they haven't been good about closing them with anything but airstrikes, so I'd be hard pressed to give those up.
So far without a bunch of good stratems unlocked the disposable 1 shot RPG has been really good, has a ridiculously short cool down and each use drops 2 of 'em. Though I can see once slots become the pinch point it can wind up depreciating.

Napalm does seem to stagger/stun even the big guys on hit though. Not long, but its a pretty effective swarmclearer and distance-creator.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I feel like napalm is one of those that you throw in front of you and just sprint right past it as you hustle towards the next objective

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

raverrn posted:

I think the issue - and it's like the only thing dragging this game down, gently caress me do I love it - is the internal balance between weapons is pretty bad.

And I guess between strategems, too? Nothing is gonna save the 110mm Eagle strike.

Eh, 110mm is much more useful vs. Robots.

It 1hko's tanks and the laser turrets.

it could use a much larger target search area / being sticky to make it better against moving targets though.

Actually it probably should also have 3 instead of 2 uses, since it's much more specialized than the 500kg or the bombing run also.

So yeah not in a great spot tbh.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 12, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

raverrn posted:

I've been using the 110mm against chargers. It opens them up and they die. It's not total poo poo and it's a good oh poo poo option. I'd prefer it killed the charger but it's safe to use and does something useful. Only takes a few rounds to finish them off.

The first time I used it I was meh on it, but the team appreciates when I use it (because I'm not yelling danger close move move).

E: I agree three uses would take it from edge case you can force to be ok to a useful strat.

Also we played like 5 games and no issues with rewards or anything else. Don't know if they did something in the background but had a very smooth experience outside of having to mash invites to join the team up. I bought the recoilless for anti tank looking forward to giving it a go. Probably more useful than my 110s.

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 12, 2024

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Infidelicious posted:

Actually it probably should also have 3 instead of 2 uses, since it's much more specialized than the 500kg or the bombing run also.

So yeah not in a great spot tbh.

It's an Eagle equip, you get more uses if you send it back to resupply

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Played one of those defence missions where you need to kill a number of robots before extracting. I took a recoilless rifle and someone loaded me - I aimed for dropships. We won fairly quickly, but these missions are always quick, and at the end I had a total of 5 kills. They'd all have been dropships, but does a dropship full of robots count as 1 or a lot for the sake of the mission?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Did they fix the game yet or are people still losing rewards?

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

The Recoiless is very good... but like in the first game, it probably works best with 2 players using them... since they can double tap stuff and / or buddy load each other.

I'm absolutely loving the autocannon though, it is really versatile and satisfying to use and the animations are extremely cool.

It can kill bug holes in 1 shot.

If you don't completely empty it, the reload actually isn't that long at all.

The buddy reload functionality for it seems pretty pointless because of that, though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bandaid.friend posted:

Played one of those defence missions where you need to kill a number of robots before extracting. I took a recoilless rifle and someone loaded me - I aimed for dropships. We won fairly quickly, but these missions are always quick, and at the end I had a total of 5 kills. They'd all have been dropships, but does a dropship full of robots count as 1 or a lot for the sake of the mission?

Gimli.txt

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Charger wise: blowing off an armour piece and unloading into the leg will reliably kill them extremely fast.

Explosive rounds just do more damage to weak spots, so that's the use case of all the weapons tagged explosive. If you blow off a chunk of armour and swap to a gun with explosive rounds, it'll go down incredibly quickly. This is actually why grenades kill the bile spewers so quickly.

Patrol chat: Robots and bugs will actively investigate sound. I got trapped with a patrol between my team and me, so i fired a round off into the sky and looped around. The patrol went to investigate and I just left, didn't spawn a fight.

Bile titan's weak spot is the mouth and if you are brave you can just hit the mouth with four unsafe levels of charge railgun shots, it'll kill them. Failing that, you can do the same thing as the charger and blow off leg armour then hit that with explosives for way more damage than the regular guns.

Worth noting that even with the armour blown off, non-explosive ammo does 90% less damage to the exposed bit than explosive stuff does. That's why you actually bring the liberator explosive/grenade launcher/etc.

Bile spewers don't actually need to be dived, just move left to right/right to left and it'll fire where you were, not where you are moving to. I ran circles around a swarm for two minutes as the last survivor for a solo extract (on extreme) with almost no ammo and the bugs couldn't touch me. Only time I turned around to fire is when I could pick up a dead teammates rifle to clear whatever was getting too close.

E: Also the shield pack is legit amazing. It also stops bug melee hits, including the only things that hit me (which are stalkers). I'm actually starting to get lazy with it on because I know i can just tank a couple hits. At this point I can reliably go gently caress off to a heavy bug nest on my own and close it.

Robots I cannot, too many rockets.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 12, 2024

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/WVdIsNY.mp4

FOR SUPER EARRRRRRRRRRTH

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's an Eagle equip, you get more uses if you send it back to resupply

I'm aware.

The point is that something that is very specialized (and not a total standout in it's role to boot) having the same number of uses between eagle rearms as something as generally useful as the bombing run or 500kg makes it hard to justify taking... especially when all the other specialized eagle call ins are a pretty excellent value for a slot since they cover a large area, and can be called in 3 or 4 times per rearm.

explosivo posted:

Did they fix the game yet or are people still losing rewards?

Played a bunch last night, got all my rewards but it's off hours so YMMV.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 12, 2024

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Fishstick posted:

They said they hit 360k total at one point last night. The last game was a PS-exclusive for a while before it came to PC so it kind of flew under the radar for a long time, but suffice to say they are victims of their own success.
Launching on a Thursday probably wasn't the best decision either. I wonder whose idea that was given it sounds like a bunch of the team had to pull all nighters over the weekend.

I have a myriad of issues yesterday on PS5 when the servers were flapping. Warbonds UI opening and immediately closing, Strategem purchasing being a blank window, being unable to view your mission stats or "Return to Ship", just the partially faded out screen (resolved by hitting circle I think). I mostly gave up once I started getting frozen in place for several seconds whenever I picked something like Super Credits, Medals or whatever up, and then seeing that it wasn't even confirmed that I had collected it - so was essentially lost. I guess the server has to confirm pickups of stuff that is basically currency.

One thing that I had seen mentioned in several places was letting the intro movie play out in full being a solution to being unable to connect. It sounds like it should make no difference, but every time I skipped it I couldn't connect, no matter how many times I retried, but if I closed the game and watched the (admittely excellent) intro I would be able to get in instantly.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
goddamn rocket automatons have my loving number

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Been using the OSI model to diagnose my connection issues, myself. Looking like.... Layer 7...

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

BeAuMaN posted:

Does taking the supplies from the supply drop put it into your ammo backpack automatically? I tried picking up ammo boxes I found on the ground when I tried the supply backpack since I was bringing the grenade launcher, and it didn't seem to fill it. Is it just specifically the ammo cans from supply drops? Or are there any special keys to load it into the backpack?

They have to be supply drops, because using the backpack on someone or for yourself (press 5 on kb) gives you 2 grenades and 2 stims in addition to ammo for everything. Backpack slots aren't refilled by the ammo you find randomly, only supplies from a supply drop. The cool down is really short on the supply drop too.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

raverrn posted:

You know the rocket strike kill a Bile Titan with two call downs if all the rockets hit, right? Or one hit a charger?

E: beaten by a long mile.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How long does a Mission take typically? I played the original one way back in the day but don't remember poo poo about it other than "was fun". I snagged this but only had time to do the tutorial before having to log in for work :argh:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
What's the deal with host kicking people out before calling extraction? Was playing on Hard (second stage of operation) with 3 others, then host decided to kick everyone after 30 minutes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

just griefing I assume? Presumably rewards are the same

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sab669 posted:

How long does a Mission take typically? I played the original one way back in the day but don't remember poo poo about it other than "was fun". I snagged this but only had time to do the tutorial before having to log in for work :argh:

Depends on how obsessively you or your team is checking for goodies around the map. Max mission timer that I've seen is 40 minutes but I've had missions go 5 minutes and some go to the end because we're looking for materials.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sab669 posted:

The standard mission types have a 40 minute timer but you can complete them as fast as 10 minutes if you just bumrush the objectives and extract. There are also 'blitz' missions with a timer of 10-12 minutes

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

with even better atmosphere than darktide.

Okay the game is a ton of fun but no way, going to have to disagree with this and it's not even close.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

just griefing I assume? Presumably rewards are the same

Its stupid because any samples you have on your are gone if you get kicked, they dont get dropped AFAIK. So its not even efficient to be a dick.

Relevant question: when you get that deflect prompt, do you do any damage at all, or is 100% of it negated by armor?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

It's not about the time you've spent, it's about the artillery you've called in along the way.

Serious though: Most mission types can be done fairly quick just by focusing on them, the overall rewards aren't THAT different if you spend 40 minutes vs 10 minutes so if you're one of those leveling efficiency types you'll want to rush thru. But, more often than not my buddy and I would spend most of the mission timer detouring towards every bug hill/POI just for the chance to blow something else up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Okay the game is a ton of fun but no way, going to have to disagree with this and it's not even close.

I dunno, the robot jungle planet and the moon look great. Darktide definitely sells its sense of place more but Helldivers, in pretty much every round I have played, has made me declare “This place is the worst!” and that’s really the vibe you want from hell galaxy war simulator.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Fishstick posted:

Relevant question: when you get that deflect prompt, do you do any damage at all, or is 100% of it negated by armor?

Pretty sure it does no damage, I've had much smaller enemies put their armoured limbs up in front of them while I unload a primary weapon into them and they won't die.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Internet Explorer posted:

I agree with the better than darktide on the atmosphere front. I am absolutely all in on the dumb super earth patriotism. Darktide I wasn't, it was kinda fun for the whole purge the heretic thing but it just doesn't feel nearly as intense as helldivers, for me.

Retro42 posted:

It's not about the time you've spent, it's about the artillery you've called in along the way.

Serious though: Most mission types can be done fairly quick just by focusing on them, the overall rewards aren't THAT different if you spend 40 minutes vs 10 minutes so if you're one of those leveling efficiency types you'll want to rush thru. But, more often than not my buddy and I would spend most of the mission timer detouring towards every bug hill/POI just for the chance to blow something else up.

And its honestly worth it for a chance at super credits. My group is now good enough that we can pretty reliably peel off from eachother and grab poi's so our super credit/sample income has gone up massively.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 12, 2024

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Quote is not edit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How is Darktide after all the bug fixing and balancing now? I dropped it a month or two in

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

How is Darktide after all the bug fixing and balancing now? I dropped it a month or two in

Probably the best state it's been in. Crafting is still by far the worst part of it and I personally think the cosmetics store is still garbage, but a lot of the weapons are viable now, and theres more build variety in classes.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I redeemed myself against the Bile Titan by killing two of them in a row with a hellpod drop.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

This game owns incredibly hard.

I'm having a hard time using anything other than eagle stratagems because the eagle ship upgrades are loving nuts.

I do wish the half ton bomb consistently killed the stuff nearby, though. It's about a 1/3 chance of just.. not doing anything, or way less than it should.

Also extremely bitter about shadowplay deciding 'no gently caress you not recording' after my last-life suicidal rush into clearing out 60 eggs on Impossible difficulty. I scraped through by the skin of my teeth to finish it as the last objective and everything. Tip: You can climb up eggs to get out of reach!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Darktide's good, worth giving another shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

DelphiAegis posted:

They have to be supply drops, because using the backpack on someone or for yourself (press 5 on kb) gives you 2 grenades and 2 stims in addition to ammo for everything. Backpack slots aren't refilled by the ammo you find randomly, only supplies from a supply drop. The cool down is really short on the supply drop too.
Thanks.

dogstile posted:

Explosive rounds just do more damage to weak spots, so that's the use case of all the weapons tagged explosive. If you blow off a chunk of armour and swap to a gun with explosive rounds, it'll go down incredibly quickly. This is actually why grenades kill the bile spewers so quickly.

Worth noting that even with the armour blown off, non-explosive ammo does 90% less damage to the exposed bit than explosive stuff does. That's why you actually bring the liberator explosive/grenade launcher/etc.
Thanks for this. Was wondering why the stats seemed worse for not seemingly doing much.

Separate question: Has anyone found Heavy Armor to be worth it? I've found outrunning bugs in light armor to be more useful personally.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 12, 2024