Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Jerusalem posted:

Man, that shot showing Sonic's corruption on the side facing away from Flash was fantastic.

That's not Sonic, that's God pretending to be Sonic to tempt Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Isn't that just God, pretending to be Sonic? They'd be in their own temptation sessions.

Edit: god appeared to Garou disguised as Bang.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 8, 2024

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Goffer posted:

Isn't that just God, pretending to be Sonic? They'd be in their own temptation sessions.

Edit: god appeared to Garou disguised as Bang.

And to Tatsumaki disguised as Blast.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Wonder if that thing really is some kind of creator-demiurge, or if it's just a manipulative and powerful interloper entity.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I would hope that Flash is smart enough to see through this, but I also know he's incredibly stupid. I'm willing to bet Sonic manages to solve this for him in a very stupid way.

Mraagvpeine posted:

That's not Sonic, that's God's original character, Blonic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mraagvpeine posted:

That's not Sonic, that's God pretending to be Sonic to tempt Flash.

I should have been more specific and said the vision of Sonic :doh:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Vold holding back from putting a mind whammy on Sonic because he's worried about triggering the monster cell he ate is funny to me because it makes me remember the gag where Sonic got a monster cell but inadvertently rendered it inactive by cooking it first.

He wasn't holding back because he was scared of triggering the monster cell, he was rejecting Sonic as a candidate because he was weak minded enough to accept it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's nice there's someone out there that cares about Sonic :unsmith:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jerkface posted:

Really enjoying these changes

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Devils Affricate posted:

He wasn't holding back because he was scared of triggering the monster cell, he was rejecting Sonic as a candidate because he was weak minded enough to accept it.

I was also a bit unsure what he was trying to say, so I went back and read it in Japanese, and that seems to be what he's saying. Though it's a bit hard to tell at this point because it's not clear what he's hoping to achieve, and he's very vague with exactly what is "out of the question." Though I think that's correct.

Also, kind of wild that they didn't translate or give any note for "genjutsu".

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Shadow0 posted:

After the broad success of Naruto I don't think that's necessary

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It's me, the guy who never got into Naruto. I just know a jutsu is a ninja spell. I assume genjutsu is an illusion.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

all according to keikaku

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

The Notorious ZSB posted:

After the broad success of Naruto I don't think that's necessary

I never got into it like all my nakama did.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elfface posted:

It's me, the guy who never got into Naruto. I just know a jutsu is a ninja spell. I assume genjutsu is an illusion.

A jutsu is a technique (or magic), it's used in a lot of words like art, technology, surgery, etc.
Here, gen is illusion or apparition etc.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Mr. Lobe posted:

Wonder if that thing really is some kind of creator-demiurge, or if it's just a manipulative and powerful interloper entity.

According to Gnostic theology, the creator-demiurge IS the manipulative interloper/pretender, so it really would be fun if Saitama wrecks The Ultimate Reason poo poo Sucks.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Shadow0 posted:

I never got into it like all my nakama did.

If you've got nakama then you're set :yohoho:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

According to Gnostic theology, the creator-demiurge IS the manipulative interloper/pretender, so it really would be fun if Saitama wrecks The Ultimate Reason poo poo Sucks.

Yeah but the gnostic demiurge still effectively made the material universe even if it did nonody any favors in doing so, that guy might just be some alien calling itself God

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Oh I see what you meant. Personally I feel that would be the less interesting route (plus we've already had one ultrapowerful alien in the form of Boros), much more fun to have Saitama to punch Literal God (or at least Ialdabaoth) in the face

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Shadow0 posted:

Its kinda just in the English language now, since we just steal any word that we need to fill a new concept.

Unlike those darn germans who just keep compounding sillier and sillier words together.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

M_Gargantua posted:

Its kinda just in the English language now, since we just steal any word that we need to fill a new concept.

I think a lot of this in particular comes from typical localizations of terms like that end up sounding lame and/or being a mouthful. It's easier just to say "genjutsu" and figure your audience will eventually interpret that as "magic ninja spell" rather than committing to a term like "magic ninja spell" for every instance in the thing you're localizing.

Also, kids these days are allowed to know other countries exist with other cultures and stuff. We don't need Phoenix Wright eating hamburgers at a hamburger stall anymore, kids know what ramen is.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The word 'illusion' would be appropriate, in this context. I would argue that the translators left 'genjutsu' untranslated because it works with the running joke of ninjas in this story (i.e they are exceedingly lame).

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Unlike those darn germans who just keep compounding sillier and sillier words together.

gen-jutsu

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Saitama powerful enough to destroy anything in one punch, if he can find his way to where that thing is. Including the concept of badness.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Transcend the demiurge and one punch the material realm to merge all with the godhead

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Some cool art from Murata today

https://twitter.com/NEBU_KURO/status/1758475823903035797?t=2nT-Ef86x3LDqLZCZ5Tgag&s=19

For what it's worth, he says it's NOT God destroying the Hero Association

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Bucswabe posted:

Some cool art from Murata today

https://twitter.com/NEBU_KURO/status/1758475823903035797?t=2nT-Ef86x3LDqLZCZ5Tgag&s=19

For what it's worth, he says it's NOT God destroying the Hero Association

Well that's good to know, because that's exactly what it looks like

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That was mistranslated. He was saying that it wasn't a spoiler of God destroying the Hero Association.

Y'know 'I just drew this for fun, don't take it as canon to the story going on currently'

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Scenes critical to the plot should not be premiered on Twitter.

They should be on Fortnite.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

That was mistranslated. He was saying that it wasn't a spoiler of God destroying the Hero Association.

Y'know 'I just drew this for fun, don't take it as canon to the story going on currently'

Looking at the comments now, I don't see him elaborating anywhere. There were two questions asking "is this this future of the hero association?" and "is this the hero association and god?" and his answer to both was just "that's wrong".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was joking. Even with how attached people are to using and complaining about Twitter, there's no way they'd be posting anything crucial on twitter like that.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I can't believe that Murata and ONE would spoil how the big fight will end with the title of the comic

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Fools, that's the tip of a pencil disintegrating as its trying to pop a pimple. Get a grip.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
It does seem to me to probably be the literal moon crashing down (not necessarily a big distinction from God in this story). The surrounding area seems to be completely flooded.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bucswabe posted:

It does seem to me to probably be the literal moon crashing down (not necessarily a big distinction from God in this story). The surrounding area seems to be completely flooded.

Seems to be way too small, the moon's diameter is 2,159.2 miles / 3,475 km

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Yeah, I mean that it’s on its way. Not literally peaking through the clouds.

Not sure if it would be at the point of destroying buildings if it was close enough to look that big in the sky, but I would think flooding is likely at that point.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
it's a giant scar tissue butt blasting apart the hero associate with rancid farts

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

It looks like God teabagging the Hero's Association into dust from the force pressure of his meteor nuts

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I can't believe the last page of OPM is just a deez nutz joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

oh jay posted:

I can't believe the last page of OPM is just a deez nutz joke.

Would give it a 10 out of 10.