Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Been enjoying the gentle grind of the DSvanias recently. Any recs for games in the Iga style that are available for Switch? I'm looking for something that allows for leveling, lots of gear, etc, rather than the git gud Dark Souls style a la Hollow Knight or Blasphemous. It's fun to jump around and pummel huge monsters without working too hard. So far I've got Chasm and Timespinner on the list.

Currently having a hell of a good time with Bloodstained Ritual of the Night on Xbox, they absolutely nailed it. There's something to be said for the massive variety of items and powers even though several of them suck. I continue to discover new uses for stuff that I had thought was garbage though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Most obviously, the Castlevania GBA collection from Iga hisself.

There's not very many games outside the Castlevania series that follow in the path of giving the player a leveling system to eventually overpower everything just through brute force, especially with the influence of Dark Souls and retro styles finding the challenges of older games. Maybe you'd appreciate the grind of Dave the Diver.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah if you like the variety of Shards in Bloodstained I highly recommend Aria of Sorrow on the GBA collection, it's definitely the daddy of Bloodstained.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I've got an Aria save going in the Advance Collection but I never feel particularly motivated to finish it after a bunch of false starts. The visuals suffer badly on larger screens without filters, and it sort of harms the experience for me, especially after playing the gorgeous DS games. Circle of the Moon is my favorite of that set thanks to the atmosphere and the card system. That castle was super memorable and the graphics scaled up quite nicely.

I'm not big on grinding really, it's more that the system leaves little bit of wiggle room if I don't feel like struggling against a particular challenge. Portrait of Ruin also stands out because the two character thing made it possible to pull of cheesy room-specific strats with a good deal of flexibility.

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 12, 2024

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Team Ladybug Metroidvanias (Touhou Luna Nights and Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth) both have levels, and Deedlit has gear, though they're not a huge indicator of raw power and you're still going to have to engage with the games' main gimmick (time powers in Luna Nights and elemental changing in Deedlit). Timespinner is probably the most Iga Metroidvania I've played outside of the games Iga has made himself.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

beer gas canister posted:

Been enjoying the gentle grind of the DSvanias recently. Any recs for games in the Iga style that are available for Switch? I'm looking for something that allows for leveling, lots of gear, etc, rather than the git gud Dark Souls style a la Hollow Knight or Blasphemous. It's fun to jump around and pummel huge monsters without working too hard. So far I've got Chasm and Timespinner on the list.

Currently having a hell of a good time with Bloodstained Ritual of the Night on Xbox, they absolutely nailed it. There's something to be said for the massive variety of items and powers even though several of them suck. I continue to discover new uses for stuff that I had thought was garbage though.

Astlibra is pretty light on the exploration side of things (it's a linear set of levels with only mild exploration rather than a big interconnected world) but the combat and leveling should be what you're looking for.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Huh, Ultros comes out tomorrow. I didn't know that was so soon. Looks cool as hell.

Snake Maze posted:

Astlibra is pretty light on the exploration side of things (it's a linear set of levels with only mild exploration rather than a big interconnected world) but the combat and leveling should be what you're looking for.

I bought this on my switch and I'm maybe 2 hours in and just not very engaged (finishing up 'old couple' plot.) It also doesn't seem like an MV. Is it a slow start or is it likely if I'm not hooked yet I probably won't be?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Astlibra is not a metroidvania, it's closer to Ys 3 or some other obscure old Japanese PC games. I was enjoying by that point so if you're not it may not be for you.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

ultrachrist posted:

Huh, Ultros comes out tomorrow. I didn't know that was so soon. Looks cool as hell.

I bought this on my switch and I'm maybe 2 hours in and just not very engaged (finishing up 'old couple' plot.) It also doesn't seem like an MV. Is it a slow start or is it likely if I'm not hooked yet I probably won't be?

The combat and story both get better as you keep going, but you've got all the main mechanics unlocked by then so if the game isn't grabbing you it's probably fine to put it down.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I tried the demo for Ultros and the graphical style was
.. too much? It was so busy it was incredibly hard to make out what anything was. I doubt they have toned it down, but I am looking forward to seeing more of it and other zones.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Did not realize until I saw reviews that Ultros has a seemingly roguelite-inspired time loop where you lose all your abilities and start the game over at various points in the story, which seems like a pretty weird choice for this genre; there's a gardening mechanic and skill upgrades that make progression more persistent between runs, but that definitely dampens my anticipation.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Barry Convex posted:

Did not realize until I saw reviews that Ultros has a seemingly roguelite-inspired time loop where you lose all your abilities and start the game over at various points in the story, which seems like a pretty weird choice for this genre; there's a gardening mechanic and skill upgrades that make progression more persistent between runs, but that definitely dampens my anticipation.

Oh, I think I'm into this idea? The demo seems to end when one "loop" would so it makes sense that it didn't show it.

I think Ultros is simple enough that the idea of resetting isn't that offputting, but I would be curious what the final playtimes look like. My main beef with run based games is that I just don't have the patience to beat them (e.g. I sure would love to see the rest of Hades but I don't want to spend 40 hours getting there because I'm not very good at Hades). Otherwise I'm fine with the structure, as long as it doesn't wildly inflate the time to beat the game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I've played a few games where the reset is time-based and I don't like that, but if it's tied to story events that could maybe work. I am going to hold off and see what others think first.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Commander Keene posted:

The Team Ladybug Metroidvanias (Touhou Luna Nights and Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth) both have levels, and Deedlit has gear, though they're not a huge indicator of raw power and you're still going to have to engage with the games' main gimmick (time powers in Luna Nights and elemental changing in Deedlit). Timespinner is probably the most Iga Metroidvania I've played outside of the games Iga has made himself.

Oh yeah I'll get to the Team Ladybug games sometime. Drainus is so good.

Astlibra is not really for me, unfortunately. I played the demo and didn't take to any part of it.

Guacamelee 1+2 are on sale for peanuts today, how do they hold up? Should I skip to 2? They don't seem very RPG-ish at all but for the price they seem worth a look. Also, how do people like Monster Boy?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Guacamelee games are not at all innovative in terms of gameplay but they do the basic metroidvania formula pretty well and I'd definitely recommend them at the current price.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't recommend Deedlit. It's extremely short and the story doesn't make any sense unless you're all caught up on your Record of Lodoss War lore.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

beer gas canister posted:

Guacamelee 1+2 are on sale for peanuts today, how do they hold up? Should I skip to 2? They don't seem very RPG-ish at all but for the price they seem worth a look. Also, how do people like Monster Boy?

The Guacamelee titles are more indie platformers with precise movement and weird gimmicks than they are metroidvanias.

Like, they are metroidvanias, but they're not that similar to Metroid or Castelvania, you know?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Schwarzwald posted:

The Guacamelee titles are more indie platformers with precise movement and weird gimmicks than they are metroidvanias.

Like, they are metroidvanias, but they're not that similar to Metroid or Castelvania, you know?

The closest thing to a beat-em-up MV game. The MV elements are light, not a lot of extra exploration or backtracking with new abilities, those are mostly progression. Guacamelees strength is in the name, the fun melee combat. If you dig that you'll like it, but it's fairly lacking otherwise at full price. For a couple of bux tho? You'll probably play them for at least a couple of hours, gently caress it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's funny. Guac is a very light metroidvania, but it makes such a point of it, down to having a morph ball and everything. I will not reveal the number of continuous minutes I laughed for after getting that and then getting a trophy pop called Y cant guacamelee crawl.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

OxMan posted:

The closest thing to a beat-em-up MV game. The MV elements are light, not a lot of extra exploration or backtracking with new abilities, those are mostly progression. Guacamelees strength is in the name, the fun melee combat. If you dig that you'll like it, but it's fairly lacking otherwise at full price. For a couple of bux tho? You'll probably play them for at least a couple of hours, gently caress it.
Went on an OpenBoR spree a few months back so this sounds awesome. Not very Iga but sounds like a rad idea regardless, thanks!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I think Guacamelee has great style, but it doesn't scratch the MV itch much for me, and I absolutely hate forced combat where you get trapped in a little room until everything is dead. One of the things I like about the genre is zipping quickly through places I've been not having to fight stuff. The combat is not interesting to me and definitely not interesting enough for the number of lovely little boxes they lock you in. Guacamelee 2 also upped the fiddly dexterity puzzles to the nth degree. Great presentation in those games, though, I'll admit.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Koburn posted:

I wouldn't recommend Deedlit. It's extremely short and the story doesn't make any sense unless you're all caught up on your Record of Lodoss War lore.
All of the Team Ladybug Metroidvanias are pretty short, including SMT Synchronicity Prologue, if you've played that one. As for the plot, I know basically nothing about the Record of Lodoss War series and I managed to get the gist of it pretty quickly. Elf lady is mourning the human guy she loved and outlived so hard she has a dream about being trapped in Castlevania with him and the other people she knew at that time in her life. Maybe there's some Deep Lore™ that I'm missing by not watching the anime or whatever, but there wasn't a time where I was going "what the gently caress is going on?", the plot's not that complex.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 13, 2024

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

guppy posted:

I think Guacamelee has great style, but it doesn't scratch the MV itch much for me, and I absolutely hate forced combat where you get trapped in a little room until everything is dead. One of the things I like about the genre is zipping quickly through places I've been not having to fight stuff. The combat is not interesting to me and definitely not interesting enough for the number of lovely little boxes they lock you in. Guacamelee 2 also upped the fiddly dexterity puzzles to the nth degree. Great presentation in those games, though, I'll admit.

Some of the late stage platforming puzzles in Guac 1 drove me insane because it was like trying to play street fighter 5 with all the drat inputs that I couldn't even bring myself to go far in part 2 out of fear

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

All of the Team Ladybug Metroidvanias are pretty short, including SMT Synchronicity Prologue, if you've played that one. As for the plot, I know basically nothing about the Record of Lodoss War series and I managed to get the gist of it pretty quickly. Elf lady is mourning the human guy she loved and outlived so hard she has a dream about being trapped in Castlevania with him and the other people she knew at that time in her life. Maybe there's some Deep Lore™ that I'm missing by not watching the anime or whatever, but there wasn't a time where I was going "what the gently caress is going on?", the plot's not that complex.

It's more the lack of context I had a problem with. A new character shows up and "gasp! It's you!"

And who that character is would never be explained. The cliché and predictable so it was all a dream... ending didn't help.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Well, I suppose the signs were there all along, but I wasn't expecting Prince of Persia to turn into a JRPG

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vergil turns up after like five hours lol

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Vergil turns up after like five hours lol

I haven't played Devil May Cry so I didn't really know what people were going on about

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Been playing new Price of Persia a bunch lately, and I have some minor gripes (holy gently caress, that goddamn spinning blade "puzzle" in the secret room in the elevator. Wish I read up on what the reward was BEFORE I wasted too much time trying to get it. I was assuming it had to be something good like a petal or sand jar.)

The biggest thing is that there is way too much of the map that's really far from a fast travel point. I'll be in some places where it's like five rooms between them, but then other areas (looking at you, Forest and Soma Tree) are just the worst to travel through. Doesn't make me want to really go back to spots I marked when I get a new ability to see if I can get to a new area/treasure when it takes so long to get there and back.

And I've seen it mentioned here a lot, but most boss fights are a slog. Oh goody, another "red eye" attack you can't block or counter. Oh, and it's one of the ones that is a solid beam across the whole screen, hope you remembered to place you're little L1 shadow guy on the side of the screen when that attack started!

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
First impressions of Ultros (like an hour and change, through the first boss and first loop and well into the 2nd):

It does indeed look amazing. That's the chief selling point, along with the odd story, because otherwise the gameplay and non-visual level design is fairly pedestrian by MV standards. Every enemy drops an item that, when consumed, heals you and improves a series of bars that you need to unlock skills on the skill tree. The quality of the item depends on how "cleanly" you killed an enemy. There's 3 tiers: pristine, battered, and bloody pulp, where the last loses the unique attributes of the item and is common to all enemies. Cleanness of kill seems to be: do it fast, don't get hit, use different moves.

General spoilers for people wondering how the loop works:

The story made me loop. Not sure if it happens when you die, because I haven't died. Again, every enemy drops health, so it's easy to stay full. Given the descriptions of some items, there has to be a way to trigger loops without the story.

You keep the explored map.

You lose:
- All your skills from the skill tree (but there's items that you can find that let you lock specific nodes and not lose them). This isn't a big deal because nothing in the tree has exactly wow'd me yet, since it's largely combat focused and the game is easy.
- The bars you filled up by eating
- Your traversal abilities... but, since they are not tied to your character but a thing you find, when you find the thing again you get all the abilities back.

Additionally, you plant seeds that grow between loops so you can also open up new areas each loop. Different seeds do different things. They also give you consumable fruit which will speed up getting back the top two things I mentioned in the "you lose" list

I think I spoiled myself by looking at the achievements because it seems like there are alt kills on the bosses. Though I'm not sure you can even do them on the first time through and never would've tried what the achievement implied had I not read it. So I'm pretending I never saw it and will see what happens. There's definitely Shadow of the Colossus 'you're doing the wrong thing, gamer' vibes here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Some of the late stage platforming puzzles in Guac 1 drove me insane because it was like trying to play street fighter 5 with all the drat inputs that I couldn't even bring myself to go far in part 2 out of fear

This is what I meant by how the game is mostly an indie platformer. The combat — even though there's a lot of it — is not the main gameplay focus. The focus is on using shoryukens and body slams as platforming tools.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I should amend my Ultros impressions: It starts off very simple and on rails but keeps adding new mechanics and opening the map. Now it's more like a Tunic-esque game where you realize the whole world is a puzzle. It's an MV that is making me take notes.

and now I'm utterly stumped on what to do next and since it just came out I can't even find a hint online. I think that there is a mechanic I don't understand but have the tools to activate.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ultrachrist posted:

I should amend my Ultros impressions: It starts off very simple and on rails but keeps adding new mechanics and opening the map. Now it's more like a Tunic-esque game where you realize the whole world is a puzzle. It's an MV that is making me take notes.

and now I'm utterly stumped on what to do next and since it just came out I can't even find a hint online. I think that there is a mechanic I don't understand but have the tools to activate.

I think this is the first post that actually sells the game for me most, graphic style aside, maybe the slow start of the demo gave me a wrong impression as well. I'd definitely love a 'vania that's puzzle heavy.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 15, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah I was kinda tuning out that game but it's just gone straight on the wishlist for when I'm done with the deluge of games currently ongoing

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

ultrachrist posted:

Yeah that sounds great to me. Bumped it up the list

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
It’s been five years since Silksong was announced. It’s never coming out, is it? :ohdear:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tensokuu posted:

It’s been five years since Silksong was announced. It’s never coming out, is it? :ohdear:
even better, it's always coming out

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

At this point I treat it like GRRM Winds of Winter, it's nice if it does come out, but until then I have plenty of other stuff to do.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
My assumption for a while now is we’re going to get a Silksong trailer and “available now!” surprise release drop during a complete nothingburger of a Nintendo direct

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm impressed by the amount of tunables in Prince of Peria: The Lost Crown. I suppose Ubisoft games are generally good about exposing options, but the number of knobs it presents for modifying difficulty is pretty refreshing when most of the others in the genre (Hollow Knight, for example) have leaned into the Dark Souls approach.

That said, it does feel a bit silly to get amulets that do the same thing as the difficulty knobs. I like the one that keeps you from losing athra on enemy hits, so maybe I should just turn that off entirely.

I haven't tried it, but apparently you can create portals to avoid platforming obstacles? Can you sequence break with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I backed Radio the Universe. You Hollow Knight fans can wait your turn.