Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

post hole digger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKzk1h7qrj8

ok it was definitely an abridged version of this lol

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

post hole digger posted:

patrick stewert throwing hey arnold into the side of a mountain set to creed made me laugh.

Just watched this one (boo Canadian commercials) and it got a hearty :lol: out of me too.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1757070656150053021

how coach footballs teem

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I think the bigger coaching issue is that they couldn’t score a touchdown and then couldn’t stop the Chiefs from scoring a touchdown, not that the fullback didn’t know the OT rules.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think the bigger coaching issue is that they couldn’t score a touchdown and then couldn’t stop the Chiefs from scoring a touchdown, not that the fullback didn’t know the OT rules.

When that's the guy calling the coin toss, he needs to know the rules.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean the coach told him what to choose and he successfully did the coaches chosen strategy.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

they sent out fred warner to do the call, not KJ

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pmchem posted:

they sent out fred warner to do the call, not KJ

Thanks for the correction.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

i still remember it being an odd decision at the time, only defensible by what Romo also observed that the 49er defense was gassed. but you can’t give Mahomes a green light on fourth downs

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chiefs lucked their way to another SB

luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

A football thing I've accepted but never really fully understood is how defenses get gassed but offenses don't.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it's a sign of sloppy coaching. you want your team to know the rules of the game even if it doesn't come up. I’m sure they teach ball security at the goal line because of the fumble out of the endzone rule even though that happens so rarely

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

fsif posted:

A football thing I've accepted but never really fully understood is how defenses get gassed but offenses don't.

reading and reacting takes a lot more mental effort, and if you take one bad step you gotta go all out to make up that distance. I don't think it makes a huge difference, but I wouldn't be surprised if defenders feel it more

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
It gives you the third possession (i.e. the first in sudden-death). That, plus resting your d, makes it seem like the right call to me.

I wonder when a big playoff game will go TD-TD-FG and people start complaining until they go to something like the NCAA rule.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

indigi posted:

it's a sign of sloppy coaching. you want your team to know the rules of the game even if it doesn't come up. I’m sure they teach ball security at the goal line because of the fumble out of the endzone rule even though that happens so rarely

They teach ball security everywhere because fumbling everywhere is bad.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I hate the college format so I hope that never happens. I think the current OT formats for the regular season/playoffs are as good as it's going to be. First team gets the possible third possession, second team gets the benefit of more information about what they need to do at the start.

TD-TD-FG is fine because the second team could have chosen to go for 2 and probably should if their defense gave up an immediate TD in the 5th quarter. If they chose not to that's their gamble.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I saw someone post “The 9ers can still win if Mike Pence does the right thing” and I’m fuckin dying

lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

fsif posted:

I never played organized football but my guess in general is it's much harder physically and mentally to have to guess and react versus when you're on the offense and you know what your role and route is

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

butker breaking the longest sb field goal record that was itself broken earlier in the game was cool

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

shyduck posted:

I never played organized football but my guess in general is it's much harder physically and mentally to have to guess and react versus when you're on the offense and you know what your role and route is

You're chasing and therefore have to cover more ground also

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fsif posted:

It's harder to react than act is the general explanation I think. Or theory.

For the lines I think the DL just has to work harder than the OL because of the way things are played. A lot of times the OL just has to be big and in the way shoving you or make a short trap move or something, the DL has to put in a lot more work to get around you. But all of that is just in theory, if the D blows up a play they do not need to worry about reacting, but you need to do that first or you're doing a lot of chasing.

e:fb

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also offensive players do get tired. There's plenty of examples of RB's, WR's and linemen who just can't go anymore as a game progresses... but you can sub them out as needed. Something you really can't do with your all pro-corners and safeties and whatnot.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

indigi posted:

reading and reacting takes a lot more mental effort, and if you take one bad step you gotta go all out to make up that distance. I don't think it makes a huge difference, but I wouldn't be surprised if defenders feel it more

I remember reading somewhere that DBs run significantly longer over the course of a game than WRs do (because WRs know the play). I'd bet the same is true of other positions. Especially in pass-heavy games, the d-line is running a lot more than the o-line and often dealing with doubles/chips, which has to wear on you. I also assume a lot of offensive players give 90% on some plays (since they know how much they matter to the play), while defenders can't really do that. Offenses also have more control over substitutions.

e: beaten multiple times

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 12, 2024

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

Kawalimus posted:

I hate the college format so I hope that never happens. I think the current OT formats for the regular season/playoffs are as good as it's going to be. First team gets the possible third possession, second team gets the benefit of more information about what they need to do at the start.

TD-TD-FG is fine because the second team could have chosen to go for 2 and probably should if their defense gave up an immediate TD in the 5th quarter. If they chose not to that's their gamble.

This is a good point.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Offensive players can also take plays off and not give 100% when they know the playcall isn't going to involve them. No such luck on defense. Every free defender is rallying to the ball.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

pmchem posted:

i still remember it being an odd decision at the time, only defensible by what Romo also observed that the 49er defense was gassed. but you can’t give Mahomes a green light on fourth downs

The third possession argument makes good sense imo. KC only scored one touchdown in regulation and hadn’t looked strong in the red zone.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My ultimate takeaway, and I partially have Jon Bois to credit for this, if you don't want to deal with the wackiness of overtime, don't let it get to overtime. There were some choices made on that final Niners drive in regulation that helped lead to this

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
No WR plays 100% of snaps whereas many starting CB1/2 S1 do

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That kicker should have got MVP and I will die on this hill

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'm happy for Drue Tranquil

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

The third possession argument makes good sense imo. KC only scored one touchdown in regulation and hadn’t looked strong in the red zone.

The only thing about the third possession argument is, if thats what you believe (that KC is going to score a TD), why wouldnt you go for it on 4th down?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Butker had a nutso year.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Harrison Buttkicker.com

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

CharlestheHammer posted:

Absolutely, since the only offensive TD in regulation was a gifted muffed punt and otherwise the Chiefs weren’t getting anywhere into the redzone otherwise.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Reminder that Harrison Butker was on the Panthers' practice squad but the Panthers can't recognize talent as well as Veach and then signed him and sent Cairo Santos packing and all the Chiefs fans were like WHY because Cairo was a decent enough kicker.

Harrison Butker is as white bread home school prayer group as it gets and yet somehow that dude has a 40 inch vertical and it just doesn't really make sense.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

fknlo posted:

All the talk throughout the season in the GDT's about the Chiefs regretting trading Hill still cracks me up.

I do miss Tyreek, I think the team is way less explosive without him, that being said it's awesome they continue to win.

Doctor Teeth posted:

romo saying the low snap was uncharacteristic for creed is how i knew he doesn't pay attention/care anymore because that's been like the one consistent weakness of his game.

I was like "What the gently caress, Creeds snaps have been low all loving season"

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
This is getting confusing after watching Sir Patrick throw Arnold into a mountain while Creed plays

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Watching highlights again and that MVS touchdown catch was just so easy

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I’ve been traveling all day for work so have not been around social media that much. Apparently now Travis Kelce is a domestic abuser because he bumped into Andy Reid on the sideline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Nervous posted:

This is getting confusing after watching Sir Patrick throw Arnold into a mountain while Creed plays

Wasn't there a goon whose username was Creed Reunion Tour?