Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mystes posted:

I googled hard jigsaw puzzles and this fairly infuriating looking one came up. Maybe I'll get it for someone I hate next holiday season.

Ugh, I also love puzzles and these ones make me angry. I like the ones that are whole collections of stamps or something, they're complex but they have recognizable things to look for rather than just being hard because gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

PetraCore posted:

They wanted to get the clout of being the cool relative without actually having to do any of the work, if Kelce's team hadn't made the Superbowl they would have been like 'oh too bad!' but still reaped the admiration. Since Kelce did make it to the Superbowl, their plan was to go 'I was just joking, kiddo!'
Yeah I'm guessing this because if not they would presumably have explained it, and that just makes it incredibly lovely

If they said it because they wanted the kid to take it seriously and be impressed by them, then they don't get to suddenly be surprised or indignant when the kid takes it seriously and is mad that they lied

In other words, the whole point was so the kid would remember it and think "oh they're the cool relative that really would have taken me to the superbowl if only Swift's boyfriend's team had made it", but then the OP is like "wow can a 7 year old even remember stuff like that?"

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 12, 2024

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

mystes posted:

Yeah I'm guessing this because if not they would presumably have explained it, and that just makes it incredibly lovely

If they said it because they wanted the kid to take it seriously and be impressed by them, then they don't get to suddenly be surprised or indignant when the kid takes it seriously and is mad that they lied
Anyway, since they can't keep their original promise, I think they should probably buy their niece something else Taylor Swift themed she'd like and apologize to her, or just eat the poo poo forever from their lovely game. I know which one I expect they're going to pick.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Shanghaied posted:

Besides real estate agents, who the gently caress gives people tours of random people's houses??? Is the house architecturally or historically interesting in some way?

Like if I was visiting a friend and he says "let's do a tour of my brother's house" I'd be like "loving why? I don't know your brother."
The 'tour' was just the BIL's attempt at a story that wasn't "I want to hold a party for 8 people at your house".

Pretty sure if we asked that friend, he'd go wtf do you mean about a house tour, (BIL) just said you'd offered to host a party.

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for making a promise to my 7 year old niece that was so ridiculous and improbable I have a hard time believing she thought I would come through ?
He said that “you dug this hole by being a moron, don’t put it on her to fix it for you.” I asked if he was serious, he said 100% and I brought this all on myself.
drat, that's a pretty nasty burn. Totally accurate of course, but daaaamn.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 12, 2024

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who gets rid of strangers at the door by just yelling GET OUT OF HERE, YOUR BROTHER IS ABOUT TO RAIL ME WITH HIS PENIS!!!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for divorcing my husband over a puzzle?

I don't think this is about the yogurt puzzle

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Didn’t we have one semi-recently where an adult promised something plausible to a young child, and then tried to back out?

Not calling fake/trend, just struggling to remember what the promise was and how it compares to this one

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ugh, I also love puzzles and these ones make me angry. I like the ones that are whole collections of stamps or something, they're complex but they have recognizable things to look for rather than just being hard because gently caress you.

I could probably do the pixel one, it would definitely take a long time. I just finished my night sky puzzle, and now I'm on to this one for the second time. 1500 pieces:

I've definitely been called insane by friends when they realize I put the box away and don't look at it while I'm working on it. They get frustrated by proxy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I could probably do the pixel one, it would definitely take a long time. I just finished my night sky puzzle, and now I'm on to this one for the second time. 1500 pieces:

I've definitely been called insane by friends when they realize I put the box away and don't look at it while I'm working on it. They get frustrated by proxy.
Do you have a link? I'm not sure I even like jigsaw puzzles and it will probably just make me crazy but I kind of want to do this

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
A jigsaw puzzle that's a magic eye would be pretty hard without having to be just random noise or completely one color.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

Maybe it was a typo for 2000+

Yeah edited... I had though I did the () around the s in she... Updated

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

mystes posted:

Do you have a link? I'm not sure I even like jigsaw puzzles and it will probably just make me crazy but I kind of want to do this

I got you

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That one looks tough but doable, I don't mind that style as much because there are a lot of similarities but you can still pick out where you are in the puzzle. I guess you can do that with the pixel one, but hunting through all the pixel colors just seems like a pain compared to looking around someone's artwork.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thanks

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for moving out instead of sharing my living space which is causing a problem for my mom and her boyfriend?

quote:

My dad passed away when I (F16) was like three. We lived in a house that my grandparents own and they agreed to let my mom and I live there rent free.

Over the years whenever my mom dated I tried to spend the nights she had "guests" over at my grandparents house.

When I was ten my grandfather renovated the basement to make me my own kind of apartment. I have my own bathroom, kitchen, and living room to go with my bedroom.

My mom met a guy last year and it got serious. He moved in with his two kids. Which is fine by me. My mom deserves to be happy and have someone in her life.

There are three bedrooms upstairs so it is perfect. One for them and one for each of his kids.

Everything was going according to plan until the kids asked where I was staying. I said I lived on the basement. They made a joke about me loving in my mom's basement.

I invited them down to play Mario Kart to be sociable and to show off if I'm being completely honest.

I have a couch my uncle gave me and my dad's old lazy boy in the living room. The recliner is only for me and all my friends know that.

Thee kids started complaining that it wasn't fair that I got all this room to myself. One tried sitting in my chair even after I told her that it was only for me.

I settled that immediately. It's mine.

After a few races where I demolished them I said it was time for them to go back upstairs. They said no. I called my mom to come get them.

Over the course of the next week my mom started hinting that maybe my living room should be a common area. I said no. She started insisting. I said no.

She has a key to my door. I never locked my door unless she had guests. I did start locking it when Dan and his kids moved in.

I came home from school and found the kids in my living room. They had also gone into my room. And they were eating my snacks. That I pay for myself. I yelled and told them to GTFO. I called for my mom to explain why they were there. She said that she decided it wasn't fair that I got almost a third of the house to myself and that my TV and gaming systems should be shared. I said gently caress that. She got really upset with me and said it was a done deal so deal with it.

My grandfather and he and my uncles came and got me. And all the things that matter to me. Including my recliner. He told my mom that she needed to start paying rent if I wasn't going to be living there.

I have a bedroom at my grandparents house but I miss my area.

My mom is trying to get me to go back so they can save money to get there own place. Yeah right. I'm not that dumb. She said that I need to stop being a brat and behave like an adult. I said I was living like an adult until you let those kids onto my area without permission. She tried to say she could do whatever she wanted in her house. Sometimes I think she forgets it wasn't my dad's house and she didn't inherit it.

I feel a little guilty about this because my mom is actually pretty cool and I hate that this is causing strain on her relationship.

AITA?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kurieg posted:

AITA for moving out instead of sharing my living space which is causing a problem for my mom and her boyfriend?
I just want to say that her grandparents are awesome and her mother sucks

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, my mom's pretty cool, I just had to evacuate the house every time she wanted to get laid to the point that my grandparents built me a space far off enough from her that I could sleep without hearing her gently caress.

does not seem terribly cool!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not quite a hand that feeds story but ...

'look our free ride has been pretty good but like.. what if it was even more better, let's try and get that'

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

tater_salad posted:

Not quite a hand that feeds story but ...

My read is that the grandparents in the story are paternal grandparents, which pushes this into hand-eating territory for me

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Can you even fit a recliner in a go bag?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Kurieg posted:

Lol, I love it when the rear end in a top hat parent doubles down.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

Can you even fit a recliner in a go bag?

you don't have a go bag of holding?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

those puzzles look like absolute torture.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

My read is that the grandparents in the story are paternal grandparents, which pushes this into hand-eating territory for me
If so I look forward to the update where the grandparents evict the OP's mother and give the house to the OP

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Look, if your go bag doesn't include a loaded firearm so you can put down your SO in the off chance they turn rabid, are you REALLY prepared?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I mean promising a trip to the Super Bowl isn't, in and of itself, particularly outlandish even from an adult perspective. There's even a big huge crowd of people who all bought tickets and went there. They even show them on TV.

Eridine
Aug 11, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

you don't have a go bag of holding?

If your SO treats you like a Portable Hole, just hop in your Go Bag Of Holding and bam, you are safe in the Astral Plane.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

I have a jigsaw puzzle app on my phone that gives you a new puzzle everyday, but there's also a huge library of others to choose from for free if you don't like the daily puzzle. You can set difficulty from 4 to 1600 pieces, and after you see the original picture you can't see it again without clicking a button to show it to you. Kills time in waiting rooms or waiting to pick my kids up from events. If you're okay with doing puzzles on your phone instead of having the physical pieces in front of you, you might like something like that. I love puzzles but don't like all the space they take up (and can't keep kids, dogs, or cats from messing them up while I'm working on them).

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Shanghaied posted:

Besides real estate agents, who the gently caress gives people tours of random people's houses??? Is the house architecturally or historically interesting in some way?

Like if I was visiting a friend and he says "let's do a tour of my brother's house" I'd be like "loving why? I don't know your brother."
I remember this episode of Curb your Enthusiasm where Larry has no interest in touring Suzy's new house and she gets so mad.

Love this dude that's like "yeah I know someone that has a big house for entertaining, let's just show up announced with a keg and have a party"

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I mean promising a trip to the Super Bowl isn't, in and of itself, particularly outlandish even from an adult perspective. There's even a big huge crowd of people who all bought tickets and went there. They even show them on TV.

Yeah a seven year old absolutely doesn’t understand that Super Bowl tickets cost $10k, and considering they live in Vegas it’s completely understandable that she thought he was serious.

She’s never going to forget this, even if he manages to smooth it over she’s never going to trust him the same way again

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

Yeah a seven year old absolutely doesn’t understand that Super Bowl tickets cost $10k, and considering they live in Vegas it’s completely understandable that she thought he was serious.

She’s never going to forget this, even if he manages to smooth it over she’s never going to trust him the same way again
Maybe the OP should take her to a taylor swift concert instead. It would be cheaper than the super bowl and it would probably go a long way to making up for it. I don't know what her schedule is like but she's got to have a concert in vegas at some point I assume?

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 12, 2024

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Bobstar posted:

Didn’t we have one semi-recently where an adult promised something plausible to a young child, and then tried to back out?

Not calling fake/trend, just struggling to remember what the promise was and how it compares to this one

There was a recent post about OP's relative (uncle?) who had spent her whole life making extravagant birthday promises of trips and holidays that he always bailed on. The actual post was about him pulling this same poo poo on OP's young daughter and being shocked when the young daughter got upset that the trip to Disneyland(?) was not only cancelled but revealed to be a completely empty promise that the uncle never intended to go through with. Like, the uncle thought that the promise of a trip was enough of a gift in itself or something similarly stupid.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for divorcing my husband over a puzzle?
But this whole experience has taught me I hate my husband, and that I was right to cheat on him on him with my friend that moved away.

lmao best buried lede in a while

mystes
May 31, 2006

idiotsavant posted:

She didn't actually even cheat on him though. She slept with someone else when they had broken up before they got back together and her piece of poo poo husband gaslit her into thinking that was cheating on him

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

idiotsavant posted:

The best part of that lede is buried even further when she reveals that the "cheating" happened while they were on a break in which her then-ex, now-husband, hopefully-soon-to-be-ex-again was plowing loads of strange, but he managed to convince her that this was cheating for her but not for him.

For a given value of "best."

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

mystes posted:

It would be cheaper than the super bowl

I can't tell if you're being facetious

cyberia posted:

Like, the uncle thought that the promise of a trip was enough of a gift in itself or something similarly stupid.

My Mom does something like this. She won't give you a gift for your birthday but she'll tell you all about the thing she WANTED to buy you

Cyber Punk 90210 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 12, 2024

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I can't tell if you're being facetious

I mean, it would, maybe not by a ton

I think super bowl was like $7k and I would imagine swift is like 2-3k?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

AITA for telling my uncle to stop "gifting" my daughter extravagant trips

quote:

So, a little backstory. When my sisters and I were kids, every year for our birthdays and Christmas my uncle would give us cards. Inside those cards would be a printed out picture of some place (i.e. local theme parks, the zoo, aquarium, museums, any place a kid would love to go). After we opened them, he would tell us that we're going to that place. He would say things like "it's gonna be the best trip of your life!" That would obviously make us very excited. Here's the thing. We never went on any of those trips. We never went to any of those places.

As a young kid, it would be disappointing. But after a while I started expecting it and just going along with it. I don't hold any animosity towards him at all obviously. As an adult now, I understand he did that because he didn't have the means to buy us gifts.

Here's where I'm starting to have a little bit of an issue with it. My daughter's fifth birthday was last week. My uncle gave her a card, she opened it to find a printed out picture of a theme park about two hours away from our house. And he promised her a fun weekend away. He promised her things like a giant hotel room with a swimming pool, all the snacks she could ever want, and tickets to every show she wants to see at the park. She was over the moon. For the past week, my daughter has talked non-stop about this trip. She keeps telling me how excited she is and how excited her whole class at school is for her. It breaks my heart to look at that smile on her face knowing it's not gonna happen. I remember how disappointing it was for me, and I don't want her to go through that.

So. I texted my uncle. Here's what the message said, "Hi! Your message in \[daughter's name\] card was so beautiful. Do you think next time you could leave out the promise of an extravagant trip? The thought and gesture is amazing. However, I never know what to say when she asks me when this trip will be. She absolutely loves spending time with you so I know the promise of even a nice lunch together would make her so happy."

He never responded, but my aunt told me he was upset. She said something like he was offended that I implied the only thing he could afford was a "nice lunch." I didn't mean it like that at all. I just wanted him to understand that she loves him and wants to spend time with him and he doesn't need to promise impossible things to make that happen. But I can see why he interpreted it the way he did. And that's where I'm wondering if I'm the rear end in a top hat. This has been an unspoken thing in my family for so many years so I'm now wondering if I should've just kept it that way. I just can't stand the thought of my little girl getting disappointed so many times. My sisters and my mom agree with me. My mom even said she wished she stopped it when we were kids. So, AITA for telling my uncle to stop gifting my daughter extravagant trips?

UPDATE: AITA for telling my uncle to stop "gifting" my daughter extravagant trips

quote:

Thanks to everyone for your feedback on my last post.

A lot of people asked me why I was being so nice to my uncle and honestly, I think I underestimated how weird it was because it's been so normalized in my family. I didn't want to cause drama, so I went about it as non-confrontational as possible. I agree now I should've been more direct. Another concern a lot of you had was, that I allowed this to happen to my daughter previously. That is not true. This is the first time he promised her one of his trips. That's why I decided to say something, so this doesn't become a recurring thing.

Here's the update. I tried to call my uncle twice but he didn't answer. I got through to my aunt and explained everything to her; how many times he did this to my siblings and I and how often we were disappointed. I told her my daughter was so excited and that if they were actually planning to take her on this trip, I would apologize. She didn't take that well. She told me I was creating unnecessary drama and that my daughter and I are acting "entitled" to expect them to drop everything to go on this trip. I was shocked and angry. I said how dare you say that. She didn't imagine this trip in her mind and then expect you to take her, you PROMISED her this trip. Her disappointment is not entitlement. I said it's not my job to make sure a grown man feels secure in himself and it's a shame my family spent so long coddling him. I was so mad I just hung up.

I don't feel any ounce of guilt for setting my boundary anymore.

For everyone asking if I can take my daughter on the trip, unfortunately that theme park closes for the season this month. But I surprised her with something even better. After the phone call with my aunt, my partner and I decided to book a trip to Disneyland! It sounds crazy and impulsive, but we've been wanting to plan this for a while now and decided it's the perfect time. My kid IS entitled to an extravagant trip. Last night, we sat her down and explained that her uncle won't be able to take her on the trip. I tried to be as honest as possible without confusing her. She was unsurprisingly upset and had a lot of questions. After we answered them all, I told her not to worry because her mom and dad are taking her somewhere instead. When she found out it was Disney, she was over the moon. She's spent all day deciding which Minnie Mouse stuffy she wants to take with her. I told her to tell her class her trip got upgraded.

All things considered, it's a happy ending. I know I won't always be able to protect her from disappointment, But I sure as hell will do my best. She's getting that giant hotel room she was promised.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Stefan Prodan posted:

I mean, it would, maybe not by a ton

I think super bowl was like $7k and I would imagine swift is like 2-3k?

Google says the cheapest Super Bowl ticket is $4k and the average (Non-GA) ticket to a T-Swizzle show is $1700.

I dunno, I've never spent more than $40 to go to a concert or a game, anything show over 100 bucks is for the 1%ers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It's not completely outlandish, but most adults would understand that it's not really something to be taken seriously, nor would reasonable adults be offended if you were like "uh, so it's great that the Chiefs made it but c'mon, we both know I can't write Stubhub a $12,000 check for two tickets to a three hour game".

mystes posted:

Maybe the OP should take her to a taylor swift concert instead. It would be cheaper than the super bowl and it would probably go a long way to making up for it. I don't know what her schedule is like but she's got to have a concert in vegas at some point I assume?
Not any time soon. She's been on tour since March 2023 and did almost all of the US based cities last year. Pretty much all the remaining dates are overseas; IIRC there's 2-3 US cities that got added in later this year and then a few in Canada, but none are even remotely close to Vegas. So between the cost of tickets, airfare, hotel, food, etc, we're likely talking several thousand dollars to go to a concert - which is cheaper but still pretty costly.

That said, given that the kid is 7, you could probably offer to pay for her to have all her friends over for a watch party of the movie when it hits Netflix in a few weeks and that would help make up for it. That would probably run you a couple hundred bucks tops and still really serve as a nice gesture.