Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I'm sorry, but every bullet thrown away is a bullet that isn't in the enemy's heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Do any of y'all know how the armor/HP in this game works? Are the more heavily "armored" suits just higher HP?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
also every time i go back to my ship the Courier of Conviviality I laugh, this game rules when the servers aren't getting hammered

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Coolness Averted posted:

I'm sorry, but every bullet thrown away is a bullet that isn't in the enemy's heart.

If you do it perfectly you replace the magazine and the final round stays chambered.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Just hit 10 so got the Autocannon. Will prob grab another turret or just grab Eagle strafe to fill things out.

Starting to agree with the "Prune Chargers hp a bit" folks tbh. More than two at a time gets annoying fast.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

Definitely true, but the cash shop in Darktide was completely cosmetic.

The appeal of wh40k is the aesthetic, though.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Minefield is a pro early buy. My machine gun turret always gets stomped over quickly.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Holding R to change modes on almost every gun is really a game changer. Highly recommend setting the Railgun to "unsafe" mode and seeing what happens when you overcharge.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Banjo Bones posted:

Thoughts on the Autocannon, personal special weapon? Seems like it owns, but was a bit miffed its shots deflect off armor. I was able to kill chargers with it when I realized their legs have weak spots. Bile titans, though I had a bit more trouble. Do you have to get under them to hurt them?

You can one shot the bile titan by shooting it in the mouth with an autocannon as it's about to spew bile.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Elendil004 posted:

Holding R to change modes on almost every gun is really a game changer. Highly recommend setting the Railgun to "unsafe" mode and seeing what happens when you overcharge.

Oh that's how you do it

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

The stock machine gun gets infinitely better when you start adjusting the rpm based on encounter. 600rpm for the little guys and the full 900rpm for the undemocratic big bugs that deserve more freedom bullets.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
i figured out changing scope/flashlight with mwheelup and down but what do i press to change the options to the side in the hold reload screen? there's an upwards arrow underneath the icon but up arrow key doesnt seem to do it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Whiffing a rocket meant for a Charger's leg happens way too loving much to me, and I'm a decent shot. Afterwards it's just running around trying to shoot its rear end (still very resilient) and waiting for another disposable rocket calldown.

Orv
May 4, 2011

quite stretched out posted:

i figured out changing scope/flashlight with mwheelup and down but what do i press to change the options to the side in the hold reload screen? there's an upwards arrow underneath the icon but up arrow key doesnt seem to do it.

Left and right mouse by default

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

As we discuss more things I'm adding them to the OP so feel free to check back there for more info from time to time. There is a video there with some good game mechanics tips, info on marking the map and spotting things in the field (the same button for spotting things can be held to give responses).

quite stretched out posted:

On PC mwheel up, down, and right click should adjust the alt fire and flashlight.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TheMostFrench posted:

As we discuss more things I'm adding them to the OP so feel free to check back there for more info from time to time. There is a video there with some good game mechanics tips, info on marking the map and spotting things in the field (the same button for spotting things can be held to give responses).

ty democratic op

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Ok I lied, quickplay is still terrible :effort:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Orv posted:

Left and right mouse by default

ahh sick cheers, i would never have figured that out on my own haha

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
what does the moving round circle indicate? Where your shot will go, or some other thing?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

redreader posted:

what does the moving round circle indicate? Where your shot will go, or some other thing?

That. It's the same as when you go into first person mode and your scope is bouncing around all over the place.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I feel like I should start yelling "five meters apart!" at my squad mates after a match where we were on exfil and they were shooting enemies on one side of the spot while I sat on the other side, thinking I'd cover the other side. I considered joining them to help but didn't, and then immediately saw the other three get obliterated by a flubbed call-in. It was like missing an airplane and then seeing it crash afterwards.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

redreader posted:

It's the gun's barrel. It's a pretty elegant way of handling recoil and the fact you're moving around heavy guns with their own momentum without restricting your camera to where the barrel still is or making it shake like a jackhammer.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

CuddleCryptid posted:

I feel like I should start yelling "five meters apart!" at my squad mates after a match where we were on exfil and they were shooting enemies on one side of the spot while I sat on the other side, thinking I'd cover the other side. I considered joining them to help but didn't, and then immediately saw the other three get obliterated by a flubbed call-in. It was like missing an airplane and then seeing it crash afterwards.

I've lived this experience.

It was a mortar turret, while they were bragging how good the turret was.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

CuddleCryptid posted:

yep, i was lagging behind the other 3 because ive got light armor and used it to dash to a nearby point of interest, no worries tho as i start to catch up i see them all explode in what looked like 2? bad call-ins

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
Only thing I've run into is not getting credit for daily mission.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I watched one of those basic ‘10 things newbies should know’ YouTube videos and I felt like an idiot afterwards. Do not empty your mag, leaving a sliver of ammo (ideally 1 bullet) means reloading is so much faster.

This was is Helldivers 1 as well. I think it was a tool tip or something that told you about it.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Whoever designed the Stalker and bile bug probably needs to be put on some sort of watch list.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Coolness Averted posted:

Sure you can! Unless you're playing on the highest difficulties and need to min/max, you'll probably be fine.

Honestly, even at helldiver difficulty i'm just wearing whatever I want. I've noticed 6 grenades makes the biggest difference for bugs but it doesn't really matter because i can just strike the gently caress out of bug nests anyway.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Am I paranoid, or is the game constantly spawning patrols that move toward your position? Or maybe the frequency of patrols has increased? The last couple missions have been a slog with relentless patrol spawns finding my squad.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

BastardySkull posted:

Anyone know how to deal with those gently caress off massive cannons on the bot bases? I've seen people put rockets into them, grenades, cluster bombs etc. Is there a knack to it? They are loving lethal. Sorry if others have asked already!

110 strike actually kills these well.

The longer the mission goes on the more active the enemy is, so yes it is spawning more patrols.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Typical Pubbie posted:

Am I paranoid, or is the game constantly spawning patrols that move toward your position? Or maybe the frequency of patrols has increased? The last couple missions have been a slog with relentless patrol spawns finding my squad.

They follow noise.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

TescoBag posted:

You can one shot the bile titan by shooting it in the mouth with an autocannon as it's about to spew bile.

What?? No wayy. Now I'm even more hyped to play again

People who are on high difficulty: do you think you could swing a 8-9 difficulty campaign using onlt starter equipment/callins? Let's say up to lvl 5 stuff for AT.

And in that same vein, I heard some people say the beginning orbital strike is always useful. Are some abilities just obsolete at high levels, like the initial turret vs. Gatling turret, or are they still viable because low cooldowns or whatever?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Banjo Bones posted:

What?? No wayy. Now I'm even more hyped to play again

People who are on high difficulty: do you think you could swing a 8-9 difficulty campaign using onlt starter equipment/callins? Let's say up to lvl 5 stuff for AT.

And in that same vein, I heard some people say the beginning orbital strike is always useful. Are some abilities just obsolete at high levels, like the initial turret vs. Gatling turret, or are they still viable because low cooldowns or whatever?

Gatling is a straight upgrade, but you can drop both turrets and create a poo poo storm. I still use the eagle strafing run when we have a lot of AT because it instantly deletes packed in small enemies and is safer than dropping a cluster bombing run.

Orbital strike will kill basically anything if you hit it and it will close bug holes from a safe distance so it's pretty good. It's cool down is much shorter than something like the 380mm HE and is also less likely to accidentally vaporise a comrade.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

They follow noise.

I've been playing since launch and haven't noticed behavior like this. Not only are the patrol spawns relentless, they're also quicker to call in reinforcements. Maybe the game has given me Super PTSD.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So now that the launch woes and initial hype has died down, how is this for someone who loved the first Helldivers?

Really enjoyed the gunplay, strategem system and variety of enemies in the first game.

I think my only complaint was the massive difference in difficulty between 2 player coop and 3 player coop. It really felt like the game was balanced for either 2 players or 4 players, and nothing else.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I love how many "Hellllll yeah!" moments you get in this game even from the most basic stratagems. Basic Eagle bombing pass can still be loving awesome.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Just ran a couple Impossibles with a few guys playing cohesively. It was doable but stressful, and we killed 8 bile titans during one extraction. One guy got out. 10/10

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I hope we get more enemies the size of the bile titans. Those guys are fun to watch

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Dandywalken posted:

I love how many "Hellllll yeah!" moments you get in this game even from the most basic stratagems. Basic Eagle bombing pass can still be loving awesome.
I love the cluster bombs. It's like a they're carpet bombing a bunch of firecrackers to celebrate the power of MANAGED DEMOCRACY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had my ship named The Star of Starlight but now that I'm infused with patriotism for Super Earth, it is called The Power of The People.