Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Neil Armbong posted:

isn't the whole reason chip is leaving that they won't commit to him/pay what they need to and invest in the program appropriately? you're not wrong and i'm not quite ready to give them the credit of playing the long game or having a plan.

I’m sure that’s part of it, and I’m sure if things there were great Chip wouldn’t have left, but at the same time we shouldn’t discount the possibility that Chip just hated being a college head coach here in the 2020s in general because it sucks, and he got an offer to be paid nearly the same to do just the parts he likes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That is a very unfortunate typo for my brain to think about.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

General Dog posted:

I’m sure that’s part of it, and I’m sure if things there were great Chip wouldn’t have left, but at the same time we shouldn’t discount the possibility that Chip just hated being a college head coach here in the 2020s in general because it sucks, and he got an offer to be paid nearly the same to do just the parts he likes.

He was getting paid 8 million to coach ucla. He is getting paid 2 million to coach at Ohio State. Dude was desperate to get out.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

korrandark posted:

He was getting paid 8 million to coach ucla. He is getting paid 2 million to coach at Ohio State. Dude was desperate to get out.

Okay fair, but is that because of factors unique to UCLA, or is it because of how temperamentally unfit he found himself to the demands of modern head coaching in general?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

General Dog posted:

I would take more as a “we’re waiting until December to make an actual hire” hire, which here in mid-February is probably a defensible move.

yea they're going the Miss St after Leach died route

just give someone internally the job for a year and reset at a better time in the cycle

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

General Dog posted:

Okay fair, but is that because of factors unique to UCLA, or is it because of how temperamentally unfit he found himself to the demands of modern head coaching in general?

Combination of things but the biggest is basically that the admin was done with Chip but didn’t want to pay the buyout, so he was just sticking there in some lame duck role he had no interest in. The NIL/Portal poo poo obviously added to it but I think it was generally that he knew he was no longer wanted and didn’t see the point in sticking around with that being the case.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Maybe UCLAs football team is a fraud that they're using to funnel extra money into basketball.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

P Sure UCLA is also financially in a huge hole which is part of why they pushed to get into the B1G early so they'd be able to start paying off their debts with those fat checks. I'm sure they could have spent money, but why when you are assuredly going to be very meh in your new conference for a while anyway. Just eat the bad records until you have the actual financial ability to compete.

Still a terrible look.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

The Notorious ZSB posted:

P Sure UCLA is also financially in a huge hole which is part of why they pushed to get into the B1G early so they'd be able to start paying off their debts with those fat checks. I'm sure they could have spent money, but why when you are assuredly going to be very meh in your new conference for a while anyway. Just eat the bad records until you have the actual financial ability to compete.

Still a terrible look.

This seems accurate, and good luck to UCLA convincing whatever legit HC option you go after next that this time you're actually serious about committing to the program.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

My dad and I have penciled in flying to LA to see UCLA in the Rose Bowl in 2025, so I'm not going to complain about a likely easy win

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Komet posted:

My dad and I have penciled in flying to LA to see UCLA in the Rose Bowl in 2025, so I'm not going to complain about a likely easy win

Mark down going to Galcos market where they have 500 types of soda mmmm

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Go to Lucky Boy if you’re gonna be in Pasadena for the best breakfast burrito.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Komet posted:

The prospect of the Rose Bowl being to the Big Ten what the Vanderbilt road game is to the rest of the SEC is darkly funny

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Godzilla07 posted:

The prospect of the Rose Bowl being to the Big Ten what the Vanderbilt road game is to the rest of the SEC is darkly funny

the rose bowl has always been the ultimate goal of the b1g

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Radia posted:

the rose bowl has always been the ultimate goal of the b1g

yes SEC teams line up to play at the hallowed ground of First Bank Stadium in the heart of Nashville

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Adun posted:

Go to Lucky Boy if you’re gonna be in Pasadena for the best breakfast burrito.

I lived next to the one north of Colorado for a year during Covid and it was absolutely impeccable.

Also, highly recommend the coffee at Republic on Union street, Jake’s in old town, and Mercado on lake.

Stay in Pasadena for the game if you have the option. It’s easily the best suburb we have.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Relentlessboredomm posted:

yea they're going the Miss St after Leach died route

just give someone internally the job for a year and reset at a better time in the cycle

i think this is accurate, especially when ucla announced that they'd have a new hire within the week upon chip leaving

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Testing a new smilie. :huskiesin:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Fluffdaddy posted:

yes SEC teams line up to play at the hallowed ground of First Bank Stadium in the heart of Nashville

She's mixing up Pasadena and Piscataway. Easy mistake

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
ive lost the thread somewhere but i am loving the idea of a first bank stadium parade

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

TheGreyGhost posted:

I lived next to the one north of Colorado for a year during Covid and it was absolutely impeccable.

Also, highly recommend the coffee at Republic on Union street, Jake’s in old town, and Mercado on lake.

Stay in Pasadena for the game if you have the option. It’s easily the best suburb we have.

My wife's from the area and Pasadena/SGV still for my money is one of the best areas for food in the US. We have a check list every time we go back from out east ... Lucky Boy, In N Out, california rolls at Yama, Golden Deli, King Taco and/or taco trucks.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1757461130430034090?s=20

Brett McMurphy posted:

The 10 schools (UA, ASU, Cal, Colorado, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Utah, Washington) leaving Pac-12 will still play in Pac-12 bowls, if not in @CFBPlayoff, in 2024 & 25, sources told @ActionNetwork. P12 bowls: Alamo, Vegas, Holiday, Sun, LA, Independence

I guess those bowls couldn't be bothered to change their conference affiliations? I don't know much about how that works, but this is still pretty lol to me

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/nicoleauerbach/status/1757490394042900595?s=46

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Really hope they put them OTA and not on some random cable channels.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

sorry hope you enjoy paying $12.99 a month so you can see #12 smu get fuckin ethered by #5 penn state at 4 pm on a thursday exclusively on fox sports

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/tommarslaw/status/1757464884277547011?s=46&t=eGtKhFFooZWFwCmcVJDt3Q

lol NCAA lawyers goofed

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

The NCAA just needs to gently caress off to running March Madness and stick to that at this point.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nervous posted:

The NCAA just needs to gently caress off to running March Madness and stick to that at this point.

That’s honestly what I’m worried about most with this. I guess whatever ends up being “new NCAA” could just do the same format but March madness is perfect and I don’t want it to go away.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

lol NCAA lawyers goofed

In their defense they could probably spend a year studying the NCAA's 'rules' and not be able to make a clear argument. Either in this case or in any in the history of the NCAA.

I feel like the NCAA exists to bully people they can bully and lose lawsuits if anyone stands up to them. And earn money off of the NCAA tournament of course, that's their main thing. e: beaten on the tournament

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

it's okay to have a little harm to establish a smidge of A3 standing, nbd

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
destroying the NCAA for their longstanding hatred and bias against Tennessee Football is going to be so, so sweet

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/BZSEC/status/1757400594048754103?ref_src=

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Proof that prayers don't matter because I didn't pray and it still be like that for Florida

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

How the hell don’t they have money

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Can’t imagine why people don’t want to shovel money into the furnace in Gainesville. The product on the field has been very inspiring.

Joey Freshwater posted:

How the hell don’t they have money

Big donors aren’t donating because the team has been dogshit and we are coached by a youth pastor.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Can’t imagine why people don’t want to shovel money into the furnace in Gainesville. The product on the field has been very inspiring.

Big donors aren’t donating because the team has been dogshit and we are coached by a youth pastor.

We were a trash fire and have one of the largest NIL programs in the country.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

We were a trash fire and have one of the largest NIL programs in the country.

Yeah but your ascendancy as a program has matched with the NIL era and excitement around Heupel.

We’ve been stagnant for 14-15 seasons and there’s just no excitement for the future right now.

There’s a Gator podcast I listen to from time to time and they had Spencer Hall on as a guest and he basically roasted the entire athletic department and referred to 24 as a lame duck year. Said there was no good news unless there’s the turnaround of all time turnarounds but there’s no evidence Napier can coach his way out of it. It’s just how it is and the tenor is loving bleak right now.

Happy for all of you who get the feast on the bones, for now (and the foreseeable future) I guess.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah but your ascendancy as a program has matched with the NIL era and excitement around Heupel.

We’ve been stagnant for 14-15 seasons and there’s just no excitement for the future right now.

There’s a Gator podcast I listen to from time to time and they had Spencer Hall on as a guest and he basically roasted the entire athletic department and referred to 24 as a lame duck year. Said there was no good news unless there’s the turnaround of all time turnarounds but there’s no evidence Napier can coach his way out of it. It’s just how it is and the tenor is loving bleak right now.

Happy for all of you who get the feast on the bones, for now (and the foreseeable future) I guess.

We still gonna lose because of the loving curse for who knows what

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I'm putting a lot of stock into Nico Iamaleava and Jackson Arnold being good this season. Also Avery Johnson, since his new QB coach was the same coach that coached up Jordan Love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

So did Lagway get the majority of the NIL pool or does he just really love UF?