Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

Its fun reading about the really bizarre ones where you can tell nobody was at the wheel. Like the one where they made a bunch of American women think they were dating Prince Harry or the one about having to pick your biological father out of a group of fakes or the one about which family could be more racist to their neighbors.

The Prince Harry one is especially weird because it later came out that none of the women were originally told that was going to be the premise of the show and that it was supposed to just be a regular dating show.

I thought it was a Chapelle show sketch, but I looked it up and there really was a short lived reality show where they had a white family live in blackface, and a black family live in whiteface, like, full time. It was called "Black. White."

It came out in 2006 and ran for 6 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

whydirt posted:

If I were in charge the Predator sequel would be called Postdator

I want a lovely action-comedy called Shmedator where a squad of soldiers has to deal with an army of lovely Predator knockoffs.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hasturtium posted:

I want a lovely action-comedy called Redditor where a squad of soldiers has to deal with an army of pedantic assholes and creepy reply guys.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's been in development way longer than the Harley Quinn show lol

Looking it up and The pilot dropped three weeks before the first season of HQ?

Granted I know Helluva Boss came first so I wouldn't be surprised if HQ lifted some of their cadence fron there. It just seemed off with Stephanie Beatrice doing her best Lake Bell impersonation.

I actually thought it at first, since I recognized the voice and she uses the same vocal rhythm and 'inventive cursing' as Ivy.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

“There’s so many of them! Where the gently caress are they coming from?! OH poo poo, INCOMING!” *a huge upvote arrow hurtles through the sky and smashes into a nearby building, a horde of incels crying about their millimeter-scale deficiency of jaw thickness pouring out*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I thought it was a Chapelle show sketch, but I looked it up and there really was a short lived reality show where they had a white family live in blackface, and a black family live in whiteface, like, full time. It was called "Black. White."

The "Prince Harry" one is funny because they tried to claim that they never actually deceived the women by saying outright lies but surprisingly that was a lie.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

What do people think of the Wicked trailer? The posts twitter recommends to me about it have nothing but bad things to say, but then again twitter is a platform based on outrage. I think the images look a bit washed out and its my opinion this kind of story would have worked better as an animated movie, but other vfx artists pointed out to me that most of these shots are probably wip, because the shots we see in trailers are never actually the finished product. They're probably still months away from finaling the look of the show.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The fact that it's been split into 2 parts is all you need to know, it's gonna be more egregious than the Hobbit Trilogy.

Also the fact that Chu has already directed 7 films which were all straight dogshit

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Failed Imagineer posted:

The fact that it's been split into 2 parts is all you need to know, it's gonna be more egregious than the Hobbit Trilogy.

Also the fact that Chu has already directed 7 films which were all straight dogshit

I liked In The Heights...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hmm I kind of liked Crazy Rich Asians. i haven't seen any of his other movies.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PriorMarcus posted:

I liked In The Heights...

Im speaking as someone who has seen Hamilton on Broadway and loved it (yeah, I know), but I thought ITH was so bad I had to dip out after maybe 30 minutes.

Crazy Rich Asians gave me the weird feeling of being racially condescended on behalf of another race

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Jon Chu is a bad director and the color grading, shot composition, and CGI in the trailer all look bad. It’s true that nine months from release it’s not gonna look great and the final release will probably look better but the muddied colors are not doing it any favors.

The decision to divide it into two movies is also absolutely boneheaded, the second act of Wicked is significantly worse than the first and doesn’t contain as many songs, and it’s also probably not long enough to justify it unless they adapt content from the book that didn’t make it into the musical. So is there going to be original songs or something? Who knows!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Wicked is also well past its day in the sun. Both in that it’s 15 minutes of fame were 20 years ago, and that movies like Maleficent have already stolen it’s thunder in making movies about “What if this famous villain was actually a #girlboss out to slay the patriarchy?”. Not to mention didn’t they just do an Oz reboot?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Wicked was cringe for middle aged office workers a decade ago. The iron is no longer hot.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Not to mention didn’t they just do an Oz reboot?

Do you mean the TV show that was cancelled after one season 7 years ago, or the movie that came out 11 years ago?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Robot Style posted:

Do you mean the TV show that was cancelled after one season 7 years ago, or the movie that came out 11 years ago?

No that’s not true! That’s impossible!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ccs posted:

What do people think of the Wicked trailer? The posts twitter recommends to me about it have nothing but bad things to say, but then again twitter is a platform based on outrage. I think the images look a bit washed out and its my opinion this kind of story would have worked better as an animated movie, but other vfx artists pointed out to me that most of these shots are probably wip, because the shots we see in trailers are never actually the finished product. They're probably still months away from finaling the look of the show.

Would rather watch raimi’s Oz again

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Looking it up and The pilot dropped three weeks before the first season of HQ?

Granted I know Helluva Boss came first so I wouldn't be surprised if HQ lifted some of their cadence fron there. It just seemed off with Stephanie Beatrice doing her best Lake Bell impersonation.

I actually thought it at first, since I recognized the voice and she uses the same vocal rhythm and 'inventive cursing' as Ivy.

The pilot came way before Helluva Boss lol

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Robot Style posted:

And it's been 17 years since Tin Man!

I was just thinking about that given that it has a depiction of Richard Dreyfuss as a weirdo who's high that seems an eerie prediction of his appearance on Bill Maher a few months ago where he sinks into his chair and talks about jerking off to his mom.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Going head-to-head with Moana 2 on a holiday weekend sounds like a recipe for a Thermonuclear bomb.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

I was just thinking about that given that it has a depiction of Richard Dreyfuss as a weirdo who's high that seems an eerie prediction of his appearance on Bill Maher a few months ago where he sinks into his chair and talks about jerking off to his mom.
Lol wtf I looked this up and "sinks" is putting it lightly.

https://youtu.be/jZDYrYdMOm8?si=_z0MklPtvdaOkO9V

Just skip around and watch as Mr. Dreyfuss repeatedly slides off the chair like water off a duck's back and both parties refuse to acknowledge anything weird is happening. All of the YouTube comments are entirely about him falling out of the chair

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One More Fat Nerd posted:

It was produced by Ice Cube (whose song Race Card is used in the intro) and won an Emmy, believe it or not.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

What if Wicked Part 2 is just a stealth remake of The Wizard of Oz?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

GrandpaPants posted:

What if Wicked Part 2 is just a stealth remake of The Wizard of Oz?

That would suck rear end

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

The MSJ posted:

It was produced by Ice Cube (whose song Race Card is used in the intro) and won an Emmy, believe it or not.

I've been watching a couple of guys slowly MST3K it and it has bizarrely "good(?)" moments wedged between exactly what you'd expect. Like a 2006 show trying to explain to a white dude that racism isn't a guy walking up and saying a slur, it's constant little bullshit and the occasional big thing. And then it's like, hey let's watch the white guy buy a dashiki to wear to a black church and find excuses to say the n-word.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 13, 2024

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I've been watching a couple of guys slowly MST3K it and it has bizarrely "good(?)" moments wedged between exactly what you'd expect. Like a 2006 show trying to explain to a white dude that racism isn't a guy walking up and saying a slur, it's constant little bullshit and the occasional big thing. And then it's like, hey let's watch the white guy buy a dashiki to wear to a black church and find excuses to say the n-word.

Have I found a fellow Minion Death Commando?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I fell asleep in the theater during Wicked which is weird because it’s not that long.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I suddenly remembered watching clips from that show in high school sociology. Mostly it was a scene of a white lady in blackface being taken to a salon and making an rear end of herself by wanting to touch the hairdresser’s hair.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Chairman Capone posted:

Have I found a fellow Minion Death Commando?

There are dozens of us.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I fell asleep in the theater during Wicked which is weird because it’s not that long.
The costumes alone (on Broadway) kept me awake. Holy poo poo were they amazing.

And Finding Gravity was a showstopper indeed. I don’t remember anything else. drat those costumes were amazing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Defying Gravity

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Remulak posted:

Finding Gravity

*smugly, while jumping out of a window to avoid seeing a boring musical*

"Found it!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Based on the early reviews, we may have another Morbius

https://twitter.com/groundhogjay_/status/1757274330579288250?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How many decent mid-budget movies could have been made with the money that went into this comic poo poo?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Casimir Radon posted:

How many decent mid-budget movies could have been made with the money that went into this comic poo poo?

Surprisingly the budget is somewhere between $80-100m (ex. marketing I suppose), so it could have been worse, but yeah.

Man I'm not used to still thinking about film directors having a quality lacking in modern TV directors, but then you seem some poo poo that looks like an episode of One Tree Hill and :thunk:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The biggest crime Cats committed is ensuring we’ll never see a Starlight Express movie.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Last I looked, there are two Dakotas so :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Same actually. It’s the only live theater thing I’ve ever nodded off in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Monica Bellucci posted:

Last I looked, there are two Dakotas so :shrug:

Holee molee I was warned ahead of time and that edit was still jarring.