Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the greatest love story in video games?
This poll is closed.
Tidus & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 14 7.37%
Wakka & Lulu (Final Fantasy X) 8 4.21%
Wakka & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 1 0.53%
Lulu & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 13 6.84%
Rikku & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 3 1.58%
Kimahri & Yuna (Final Fantasy X) 2 1.05%
Tidus & Ifrit (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Yuna & Rikku (Final Fantasy X) 16 8.42%
Wakka & Wakka (Final Fantasy X) 70 36.84%
Auron & Kimahri (Final Fantasy X) 23 12.11%
Kimahri & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 15 7.89%
Yuna & Tidus (Final Fantasy X) 9 4.74%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

lol climbing. I’m gonna fly

lets see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve been playing (heavily modded) morrowind again this past week, and fellow gamers, Morrowind is one of the greatest games ever made and nothing since has even come close

I JUST reinstalled and set up OpenMW a couple of hours ago, and am going to get to modding tomorrow most likely. Been too long since I've been home.

Rinkles posted:

also sorry but what's FiTS?

lordfrikk posted:

Fights in Tight Spaces, I think

Correct!

E;
A friend showed me this earlier and we both had a horrible time being unable to accept that this was ten entire years ago. :negative:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 13, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm actually surprised it's only ten, twitch being a ubiquitous platform feels so much longer ago than that

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

haveblue posted:

Play AW2 on story mode, the combat is very much not the point and you don’t want it to get in the way of everything else

Highly recommend doing this

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/02/11/positive-suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-user-reviews-split-unusually-from-critics/

More susqua chat, this thing does seem plausible.

There seem to be elements in the game's design and story that are well constructed and some people find fun. It's just that everything is attached to an obscenely expensive GaaS model.

And there are just not enough people playing it that it can sustain it. So it's a countdown to shutdown. And when that happens, the entire game will be unplayable.

I don't think I can ever pay the Avengers campaign ever again. But I can play the Guardians of the Galaxy campaign at any time, and heck that's on my to-do list.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Skull and Bones has no chance at all tho. It's hosed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played the S&B beta and it felt like one of the hundred cancelled/shut down after 6 months MMO betas I played in 2007 or 2008

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/02/11/positive-suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-user-reviews-split-unusually-from-critics/

There seem to be elements in the game's design and story that are well constructed and some people find fun. It's just that everything is attached to an obscenely expensive GaaS model.

And there are just not enough people playing it that it can sustain it. So it's a countdown to shutdown. And when that happens, the entire game will be unplayable.

I don't think I can ever pay the Avengers campaign ever again. But I can play the Guardians of the Galaxy campaign at any time, and heck that's on my to-do list.

I mean the premise of the article is "look at these user reviews, there are a lot of people playing Susqua and loving it" and there just... isn't? That's not true? A week after launch, Susqua is ranked 284 in 24 hour peak players on Steam. Granblue Fantasy Relink which released on the same day is number 13, with 35x the peak players.

Nobody bought this game, and those who did buy it have run far away from it. It's just not true that "the game does have a lot of satisfied players".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It has a lot of satisfied players in the same way Something Awful has a lot of regular posters.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Balatro out next week, pricing just dropped and it's $14.99 / £12.79

BARGAIN OF THE loving CENTURY

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

frytechnician posted:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I mean the premise of the article is "look at these user reviews, there are a lot of people playing Susqua and loving it" and there just... isn't? That's not true? A week after launch, Susqua is ranked 284 in 24 hour peak players on Steam. Granblue Fantasy Relink which released on the same day is number 13, with 35x the peak players.

Nobody bought this game, and those who did buy it have run far away from it. It's just not true that "the game does have a lot of satisfied players".

No it’s not. The author admits in the article that not many people bought Suicide Squad. You’re making a claim the author didn’t make.

Also, your argumentation makes less sense than his does. All you are posting is the user data which shows people have played it and then less people played it. We can read into the data that it means people don’t like it, but It doesn’t take into account that people cleared the campaign, were happy, and then were content to not fire it up again. He’s just looking at a different data point and wondering if people that play the game are happier with it. Which frankly is a fair assumption to make considering they were willing to shell out 70$ for a game. They feel invested in it.

Do I think Suicide Squad is some kind of hidden gem? No, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a group of people who liked the game and took the time to rate it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

No it’s not. The author admits in the article that not many people bought Suicide Squad. You’re making a claim the author didn’t make.

The author says "A lot of players really do like it", "There does seem to be some sort of disconnect here where the game does have a lot of satisfied players". The game doesn't. It's a flop, nobody's playing it. A tiny number of players like it, and they all rated it positively on Steam or whatever. It's not true that "a lot" of players like it or that it has "a lot of satisfied players". There's no mystery to unpack.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Fifteen of Many posted:

I just started Alan Wake 2 and have been loving it but the fight against Nightingale is awful. The controls just do not feel responsive enough for this fucker to be zipping around insta-grabbing.

Edit: I got it, skill issue, etc, complaining on the internet always works, fight still not good tho!!!!!

idk, I didn't have much trouble with it the first time through with the actual fight. Highly susceptible to being shot in the face repeatedly.

Now i totally ran the wrong direction the first time in that one bit and died like an idiot then lol.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's just not true that "the game does have a lot of satisfied players".

I always assume this is part of the reality-distorting effect of large numbers in capitalism. Like, sure, there are tens of thousands who played the game and maybe thousands who like it, which would be great for like an indie TCG or something. That's certainly more people than have ever enjoyed anything I made. But I'm not a game studio dedicating tens of millions to my projects :v:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Pinterest Mom posted:

The author says "A lot of players really do like it", "There does seem to be some sort of disconnect here where the game does have a lot of satisfied players". The game doesn't. It's a flop, nobody's playing it. A tiny number of players like it, and they all rated it positively on Steam or whatever. It's not true that "a lot" of players like it or that it has "a lot of satisfied players". There's no mystery to unpack.

The author says “ even if not enough people are playing Suicide Squad, most of those who are playing appear to…like it quite a bit

He’s not saying “all the gamers are playing Suicide Squad are loving it!”

He’s saying “Not many people are playing the game, but out of those who do. A lot seem to like it”

That’s what the author is trying to unpack. Yes the game flopped. No one is debating that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Anthem and outriders both have a dedicated fanbase that is ride or die those games.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

fellow posters, I implore you, to just read the whole article instead of getting to one phrase and then posting that one phrase and not reading the rest of the article

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

The author says “ even if not enough people are playing Suicide Squad, most of those who are playing appear to…like it quite a bit

He’s not saying “all the gamers are playing Suicide Squad are loving it!”

He’s saying “Not many people are playing the game, but out of those who do. A lot seem to like it”

That’s what the author is trying to unpack. Yes the game flopped. No one is debating that.

Right but it's 2024, we can't still be treating internet user reviews as if they're interesting to talk about and useful. This isn't a story about "this game was savaged by critics but a whole bunch of people like it", it's "this game was savaged by critic but a couple of thousand people clicked the 'thumbs up' button, can you explain that?" and like yeah, I can. There's nothing interesting there.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Right but it's 2024, we can't still be treating internet user reviews as if they're interesting to talk about and useful. This isn't a story about "this game was savaged by critics but a whole bunch of people like it", it's "this game was savaged by critic but a couple of thousand people clicked the 'thumbs up' button, can you explain that?" and like yeah, I can. There's nothing interesting there.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the easiest way of letting a conversation subject die is not to respond if you're not interested. "The only winning move is not to play" - A Robot

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

frytechnician posted:

:hmmyes:

:hmmyes:

2024 already crazy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Muscle Tracer posted:

fellow posters, I implore you, to just read the whole article instead of getting to one phrase and then posting that one phrase and not reading the rest of the article

You can't make me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Muscle Tracer posted:

I can compromise and not read any of the article

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Finally got around to finishing Midnight Suns.

That was kind of a wet fart of an ending for a sequel hook that'll never be followed up on.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

"obscenely expensive gaas" in terms of development cost? Sure. In terms of what you can buy in the game, there's literally nothing to buy except a couple of overpriced skins. They've said that the 'season' content/characters will be free and the only paid thing will be a battle pass w/ cosmetics. I expect them to renege on it because of how badly it sold but there's literally none of the stuff people complain about GaaS games in the actual game. No fomo, no loot boxes, no dailies except literally one that's completely irrelevant, no ilvl, nothing.

I bought it because I thought I would like it because I'm a dummy who likes loot games in all forms. Surprise, I do. I actually think the gameplay is absurdly good there's just unfortunately not much to do in it. IMO the current problems with the game stem from bad scaling at endgame, but it's really only just that enemies have too much HP and would be easy to fix.

I don't think anyone cares what I have to say about it but short summary: Gameplay is S tier, the vast majority of gameplay videos do not show it because there's actually a lot to learn in terms of movement and each character moves around very differently. I've literally spent hours just flying around the city shooting poo poo as Deadshot with no specific goal just because it's that fun to move around and shoot with him.

The loot system is actually well thought out at the core when it comes to features you'd want to see in that, in ways that other recent loot games have completely neglected. You can reroll the modifiers on your gear into literally whatever available stat you want on it and you can specifically roll only on that stat. To get every modifier max rolled on 1 piece of gear is like maybe an hour worth of grinding and there's not an absurd amount of slots for gear on your character either. You're not constantly grinding for better items either, the higher level loot has new legendary/set bonus/synergies that actually stack with the ones from the 'lower' level gear so you're really just opening up new builds and options and not turning your +1 into a +5 or whatever. There's no ilvl. There's kind of a damage 'roll' on the guns but you reroll them once at Penguin and it bumps it up into the max range if you're max leveled.

I think it's one thing to criticize the game if you didn't like it as a story game, or if you hate looter shooters and all that stuff. You can criticize it for currently being empty at the moment at the endgame, for the multiplayer being buggy as gently caress, but the actual core of the game is solid as hell. It absolutely does not deserve a low critic score when Diablo 4 got a much higher score and at its core a significantly worse game from a game design perspective. To me, all the game needs is more cool loot, better enemy scaling and more stuff to do and it would go from a 7/10 to a 9/10 for me, even personal GotY territory if they somehow have a bunch of content saved up from the time spent working on the game but I'm not holding my breath. From my perspective it's actually kind of insane that people won't give Rocksteady the benefit of the doubt and now we absolutely won't see anything come of it because it tanked mega-hard.

I'm not even trying to sell anyone on it, I just don't think it deserved the vitriol which was based mostly on assumptions of what the game is instead of what's actually in the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

WarEternal posted:

I'm not even trying to sell anyone on it, I just don't think it deserved the vitriol which was based mostly on assumptions of what the game is instead of what's actually in the game.

would you recommend it as a borerlands-like?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

would you recommend it as a borerlands-like?

No, it's not like that at all currently.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

People wanted Arkham 4, with another grand grimdark Batman plot
Not a 12hr GaaS with promises of future seasons.
It's not hard to see why Suicide Squad failed.

It's also got cool cinematics, a good level of polish, and the gameplay, for it's part, does look fun - if an explosive mess
You can also see why some people might enjoy Suicide Squad.

When it gets down to bargain basement prices people will probably pick it up for cheap and enjoy it for what it is.

That's it. That's the post.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

WarEternal posted:

From my perspective it's actually kind of insane that people won't give Rocksteady the benefit of the doubt and now we absolutely won't see anything come of it because it tanked mega-hard.

That's a disservice to a ton of extremely in-depth reviews that also hated it. People absolutely did give Rocksteady the benefit of the doubt, and even you find the gameplay fun, you pretty carefully avoided talking about the plot, characterization, UX, and mission variety which all got pretty universally panned. There are plenty of games out there with good gameplay and horrible everything else, it's not enough to survive as an indie, let alone a AAA GaaS.

Infinitum posted:

When it gets down to bargain basement prices people will probably pick it up for cheap and enjoy it for what it is.

no they won't, it's a service. it'll shut down before that happens.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ok great, more time for 2024's Something Awful Game of the Year - Balatro

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Jokers doin' thangz

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Balatro and Kazooie

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Make a Banjo Kazooie Peggle.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:ironibear:

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's a disservice to a ton of extremely in-depth reviews that also hated it. People absolutely did give Rocksteady the benefit of the doubt, and even you find the gameplay fun, you pretty carefully avoided talking about the plot, characterization, UX, and mission variety which all got pretty universally panned. There are plenty of games out there with good gameplay and horrible everything else, it's not enough to survive as an indie, let alone a AAA GaaS.

no they won't, it's a service. it'll shut down before that happens.

I didn't 'carefully avoid' anything, I gave my feelings off the top of my head, I'm not writing an apologetic. I am not trying to sell anyone on it or say that they are wrong for disliking it, assuming they dislike it for what is actually in the game and not whatever it supposedly represents in terms of 'gaming' or 'the market' or whatever the gently caress else.

I did talk about the lack of mission variety. For me, I don't mind that because, for instance, the challenge maps are already my favorite things in the Arkham games anyway and like playing challenge maps for nothing but a high score, the loop itself is fun. I also don't think that the UI or characterization are bad, I personally find all the characters pretty fun. I didn't buy the game for the story, I also said people were fair to criticize it on those fronts if that's something they care about. I don't think the story is that bad for a video game.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Shinjobi posted:

Balatro and Kazooie

Balatro e Kazooie :frogc00l:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

WarEternal posted:

I didn't 'carefully avoid' anything, I gave my feelings off the top of my head, I'm not writing an apologetic.

you complained that people weren't giving rocksteady the "benefit of the doubt" and how upset you were that it wasn't gonna get support as a result. you defended it being a GaaS by saying "the only thing to buy is overpriced skins."

a: every review I saw was both negative and went out of their way to praise the arkham games, if only to contrast against what a pile this is
b: if the game is an always online service and the only reason is to sell overpriced skins, maybe that's not a point in the win column for rocksteady?

im glad you enjoyed it and there's nothing wrong with praising what's good about it but you're kind of going out of your way to ignore or minimize the vast majority of what upset everyone about this game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WarEternal posted:

Hwurmp posted:

you do not, in fact, gotta hand it to em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

It was a comment on the overblown "its whole design is to suck money from you" when there's literally nothing in the game to spend money on except two skins per character. That's not a defense of GaaS, it's explanation of this one game and what's actually in it instead of what people assume is in it.