Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Swifties, y'all

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1757239894085169295?t=yotuscW0JKAbxZ_aC5nBHQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I don't think that there was much difference between the coaches. The Niners just ran into more random football poo poo and that cost em the game. Not much can be done about Greenlaw tearing his ACL, a player getting blocked into a punt that barely grazed them, or other further injuries to injured players. It was an insanely well coached and played game by both teams.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, basically it was a good defensive back-and-forth to a fair extent, which often comes down to not only which team gets tired faster, but who then has the experience on the offensive side to take advantage of it. Mahomes obviously is probably the greatest QB playing right now, Purdy is a second year QB with no where near the talent of Mahomes, and then had a hobbled Deebo the entire game and a visible but not effective Kittle.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I like the play call on the winning TD. The fact that they ran it immediately after the Kelce first down and the fact that it was the same type of play to close out last year’s SB suggests they had it prepared for that situation, if they got down around the ten yard line or so.

If they had called a time out before running it the 49ers probably have a much better chance defending it. But doing it with tempo like that means the defense kind of just has to jump in there and react, and the likelihood of them biting on the in/out fake by the receiver was high. It is a good play design, executed well and in the right situation.

Was it clear what Kelce was saying during his outburst on the sideline? Was he mainly mad about not getting the ball thrown to him, or what?

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

MVP Lamar Jackson didn't look too hot against the chiefs either, Purdy's alright, top 10.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Fat Jesus posted:

MVP Lamar Jackson didn't look too hot against the chiefs either, Purdy's alright, top 10.

He was off through the entire playoffs, it wasn’t just last night.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the teams were good

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Hot Diggity! posted:

I don't think that there was much difference between the coaches. The Niners just ran into more random football poo poo and that cost em the game. Not much can be done about Greenlaw tearing his ACL, a player getting blocked into a punt that barely grazed them, or other further injuries to injured players. It was an insanely well coached and played game by both teams.

The hot take industrial complex demands that one side be immortal god-kings and the other blithering idiots that have never seen a football before. It’s stupid and reductive and discourages actually good analysis.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Freaquency posted:

The hot take industrial complex demands that one side be immortal god-kings and the other blithering idiots that have never seen a football before. It’s stupid and reductive and discourages actually good analysis.

no, no, it's actually totally great that everyone's wrapped up doing a third rate Tony Kornheiser/Skip Bayless impression at all times

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I don't think the 49ers played a terrible game I think people have a hard time just admitting that the Chiefs defense is really good and maybe the best unit in the league. This game was probably the best the 49ers looked the whole playoffs and I think if you'd said before the game that McCaffery would have 30 touches I'd figure they won the game. But in terms of rushing he had 22 carries for 80 yards which shows he didn't just carve them up like people thought he would. So that makes me unfortunately have to dial back some of my criticism of the Ravens coaching and playcalling of not giving it to the RBs as much and increase my blame on Lamar Jackson for misplaying RPO situations and not taking what the Chiefs were giving him.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Go Woke, 9ers Choke

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

The way the video ends, the last guy looks legitimately hurt by it lol

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The takeaway is, get yourself a quarterback.

Unfortunately for Kyle he acts like Bill with QBs, he thinks he can win with anyone decent and didn't want Tom Brady

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Gun Trips Right Bunch X shuttle

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Reid:

Lost Divisional playoffs (at Giants) 20–10
Lost NFC Championship (at Rams) 29–24
Lost NFC Championship (Buccaneers) 27–10
Lost NFC Championship (Panthers) 14–3
Lost Super Bowl XXXIX (vs. Patriots) 24–21
Lost Divisional playoffs (at Saints) 27–24
Lost NFC Championship (at Cardinals) 32–25
Lost Wild Card playoffs (at Cowboys) 34–14
Lost Wild Card playoffs (Packers) 21–16
Lost Wild Card Playoffs (at Colts) 44–45 *blew a 38-10 lead*
Lost Divisional Playoffs (at Patriots) 20–27
Lost Divisional Playoffs (Steelers) 16–18
Lost Wild Card Playoffs (Titans) 21–22

The takeaway is, get yourself a quarterback.

Getting Mahomes and people are like I'm so impressed Reid fixed his time clock management issues.

lol having The Guy at QB is what fixes that.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Nodoze posted:

Unfortunately for Kyle he acts like Bill with QBs, he thinks he can win with anyone decent and didn't want Tom Brady

He famously did a huge trade trying to get The Guy that backfired

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zwabu posted:

I like the play call on the winning TD. The fact that they ran it immediately after the Kelce first down and the fact that it was the same type of play to close out last year’s SB suggests they had it prepared for that situation, if they got down around the ten yard line or so.

If they had called a time out before running it the 49ers probably have a much better chance defending it. But doing it with tempo like that means the defense kind of just has to jump in there and react, and the likelihood of them biting on the in/out fake by the receiver was high. It is a good play design, executed well and in the right situation.

Was it clear what Kelce was saying during his outburst on the sideline? Was he mainly mad about not getting the ball thrown to him, or what?

https://twitter.com/SNFonNBC/status/1757106833523642843

also Kelce was taken out of a play for a third string TE to block and that guy immediately hosed up and caused a turnover and Kelce was screaming let him block because he was willing to sacrifice his body. or something. He was out of line and in a regular season game he probably would have been benched for a series. His message was also right don't preserve your best players during the last game.

lol that this means he's a domestic abuser waiting to happen or whatever. I remember people saying that poo poo about David Beckham when he kicked that guy in the World Cup.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Something to consider. Sorry for the double post

Once Dre Greenlaw went down, Oren Burks filled in for him. Here’s how he did in coverage:

• 9 targets
• 9 catches allowed
• 1 touchdown
• 134.7 passer rating when targeted
• 32.1 PFF coverage grade

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I keep seeing that thing that about the super bowl this year being the most watched telecast, television event, television program, etc.

It annoys me that they leave out that it's only true if you only include the United States and even then only if you exclude the Apollo 11 moon landing for arbitrary reasons.

Apparently some spring event in China regularly gets 700m viewers and basically every cricket world cup gets over 300m viewers in India.

Basically it's not really the most watched thing in history and not even in American history unless you arbitrarily remove the actual most watched event in American history.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

feller posted:

He famously did a huge trade trying to get The Guy that backfired

He wanted to do it for Mac Jones and was talked out of it

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

kiimo posted:

Something to consider. Sorry for the double post

Once Dre Greenlaw went down, Oren Burks filled in for him. Here’s how he did in coverage:

• 9 targets
• 9 catches allowed
• 1 touchdown
• 134.7 passer rating when targeted
• 32.1 PFF coverage grade

Brutal. I do feel like this is a bit on coaching. Everyone everywhere knows the backup is going to get targeted and you need to shift things around to help him out.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

I keep seeing that thing that about the super bowl this year being the most watched telecast, television event, television program, etc.

It annoys me that they leave out that it's only true if you only include the United States and even then only if you exclude the Apollo 11 moon landing for arbitrary reasons.

Apparently some spring event in China regularly gets 700m viewers and basically every cricket world cup gets over 300m viewers in India.

Basically it's not really the most watched thing in history and not even in American history unless you arbitrarily remove the actual most watched event in American history.

How many F150s and big macs are those Chinese viewers buying

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I dunno can you find those on TEMU??

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

also Kelce was taken out of a play for a third string TE to block and that guy immediately hosed up and caused a turnover and Kelce was screaming let him block because he was willing to sacrifice his body. or something.

This doesn't matter much (at all) but that was Gray wasn't it? So second string TE if correct.

If it was Blake Bell I will be very disappointed in the Belldozer since blocking is the only reason he's on the team.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think you're right

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Kelce clearly wasn’t “shoving” Reid like a lot of folks were claiming but I really can’t help but think “what if another player.. say Lamar Jackson… did that?” And how the reaction would be different

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

That is a tiny sample size, any given Sunday and all.

Andy Reid lost three NFC Championships in a row, and then lost his first Super Bowl and followed it up with another NFCCG loss. Then lost a multitude of playoff games in his first few years at KC, many in embarrassing fashion too! He was a professional playoff choker, emeritus. Now look at him.

yeah I've said about a dozen times I think he'll figure it out like Andy did. sure getting Mahomes was key, but Reid also adjusted his second half playcalling and time management issues, managing to take Alex Smith to a narrow loss against the 2015 Pats. he'll get there eventually

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This is literally just “sometimes they lose to other teams.”

no, it's losses against superbowl contenders. I didn’t put the Vikings or Titans games in there, purposely. you're being very bad faith about this

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

trevorreznik posted:

Brutal. I do feel like this is a bit on coaching. Everyone everywhere knows the backup is going to get targeted and you need to shift things around to help him out.

Oren Burks was let go by the Packers. He's a fine special teams player but going from Greenlaw to Burks is an ocean-wide gap in talent. There's only so much help that can be given before it leads to other areas becoming exploitable.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Amy Pole Her posted:

Kelce clearly wasn’t “shoving” Reid like a lot of folks were claiming but I really can’t help but think “what if another player.. say Lamar Jackson… did that?” And how the reaction would be different

Lamar would just bounce off the Walrus

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Amy Pole Her posted:

I’m just worried about his HOF narrative after that :ohdear:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Freaquency posted:

I’m just worried about his HOF narrative after that :ohdear:

Why do you think he freaked out like that? When the vote comes people will remember the play he sat out. That dark lonely day.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

just lol at the fact that this injection of new fans might cause one of the most historically masculine tv programs to broaden its appeal

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I would generally that the Super Bowl will have “more viewers” every year.

Unless they are releasing the growth rate, keeping the measurement methodology exactly the same, and comparing to historical growth rate to show actual impact of Swift or the teams involved or whatever, it’s a very meaningless statement.

That said, they have may have done all that, I don’t actually read things any more. Lemme know when those charts are in a gif from Bois.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I have zero reason to think swifties actually mattered at all, but that won't stop some marketing guy from getting a big idea that this is a capturable segment

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Thank you Taylor for saving the NFL's ratings :boom:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

indigi posted:

no, it's losses against superbowl contenders. I didn’t put the Vikings or Titans games in there, purposely. you're being very bad faith about this

I don’t know how to argue in good faith with someone who is trying to say that losing some games against good teams is a fatal flaw in a football coach.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I completely missed this poo poo in real-time:

https://twitter.com/SpaceCoyoteBDS/status/1757444583191933216?t=M96tNhcqeJtZDt5t4SeoRw&s=19

Reid, on a potential game-losing play, called a play where by design, Bosa was to be unblocked and caught in the wash of a whole bunch of faked actions that were never live. Football!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

shirts and skins posted:

Thank you Taylor for saving the NFL's ratings :boom:

She was onscreen for 54 seconds and people are still mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

facialimpediment posted:

I completely missed this poo poo in real-time:

https://twitter.com/SpaceCoyoteBDS/status/1757444583191933216?t=M96tNhcqeJtZDt5t4SeoRw&s=19

Reid, on a potential game-losing play, called a play where by design, Bosa was to be unblocked and caught in the wash of a whole bunch of faked actions that were never live. Football!

Reid did this to Bosa for the entirety of Super Bowl LIV. Unblocked and had to make a read every time, and it was always the wrong read .