Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Magmarashi posted:

It depends on how much of the 'in-development' time was actually it being worked on and not just put on a shelf until time allowed to touch it again

From the sounds of it, it did have a lot of people working on it for a long time, but it was just a very mismanaged project, and with all the procedural generated stuff they couldn't figure out how to get the game to work, so a lot of work was wasted as they trying to figure out what the game was even meant to be.

Still have to pay for all the time work on a project even if none of that work ended up in the final game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, it sold really well. I've seen estimates around 2 million copies and Microsoft is claiming something nuts like three times that installs via XBGP. They also said in an earnings call that they saw a massive spike in XBGP subs - including the highest single day total ever - right before Starfield launched.

That said, they're not going to get creamed on this one but the next game. Bad games (or movies) that are part of a popular franchise don't fall off a cliff when the one everyone hates comes out, they fall off a cliff at the next one because everyone takes a wait and see approach.

Take the most recent Star Wars trilogy as an example. The Force Awakens did $2 billion at the box office despite kind of tepid reception. The Last Jedi only did $1.3 billion, and then The Rise of Skywalker limped in at $1 billion.

The real question is how many pre-orders and day 1 sales the next big Beth title gets. Maybe they drag out development of the next TES game enough that people forget about this or assume it will be different.

These are very good points. Over the next ten years Starfield certainly won't be selling like Skyrim did for the past decade. That's a lot of projected revenue that won't be materialising.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i guess they figured people would be in so much awe over their perfect masterpiece itd buy them a few months to figure out how to put an Eat button on the food

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Megazver posted:

Starfield: Most Innovative Game of the Year edition

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cyrano4747 posted:

The real question is how many pre-orders and day 1 sales the next big Beth title gets. Maybe they drag out development of the next TES game enough that people forget about this or assume it will be different.

I mean the last Big Bethesda Game was Fallout 76, and the one before was Fallout 4, which uh...well, I think Skyrim got at least 3 re-releases between FO4 and now and I haven't heard anything about a Fallout 4 SE, is all

I guess you could make a fair argument that they keep re-releasing Skyrim so people think about Skyrim when preordering instead of whatever the more recent, not-as-well-recieved Bethesda game is

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, it sold really well. I've seen estimates around 2 million copies and Microsoft is claiming something nuts like three times that installs via XBGP. They also said in an earnings call that they saw a massive spike in XBGP subs - including the highest single day total ever - right before Starfield launched.

That said, they're not going to get creamed on this one but the next game. Bad games (or movies) that are part of a popular franchise don't fall off a cliff when the one everyone hates comes out, they fall off a cliff at the next one because everyone takes a wait and see approach.

Take the most recent Star Wars trilogy as an example. The Force Awakens did $2 billion at the box office despite kind of tepid reception. The Last Jedi only did $1.3 billion, and then The Rise of Skywalker limped in at $1 billion.

Bethesda hates the idea of optimizing Starfield for the Steam Deck (pretty much the low end benchmark of pc games for today) amd the Modders are nooot happy with Skyrim

that's enough for me to wait and see for TES6

I think if Bethesda delists Fallout 3 and NV on some grody fake upgrade, thatd be it for me for their games in general

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

wizard2 posted:

Bethesda hates the idea of optimizing Starfield for the Steam Deck (pretty much the low end benchmark of pc games for today) amd the Modders are nooot happy with Skyrim

that's enough for me to wait and see for TES6

I think if Bethesda delists Fallout 3 and NV on some grody fake upgrade, thatd be it for me for their games in general

the fact that they said "no we absolutely cannot possibly optimize starfield, get a better computer" for

gestures broadly

is absolutely wild to me tbh

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
All the market really wants is "first person open world RPG game". Unreal is right over there, any company can make one. On that note I have no idea of Avowed will be good or bad but that's due out later this year. If Obsidian delivers "average to okay" at worst that may be enough to gain primacy in the market segment.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Earlier in the thread there was somebody saying something like "of course TES6 will be different and won't have the same problems as Starfield" and when poked at a bit they said it'd be one cohesive landmass so that should avoid the issue.

I guess I don't see that as being a given. It seems like the Bethesda that made Starfield would have just as much trouble filling in some large landmass in Tamriel, especially if they're aiming to put out something more expansive or more dense (or both) than Skyrim. There's clearly a ton of uncertainty and lack of confidence in building gameplay mechanics, too, which is a whole separate issue from just filling in a large area with quests and locations.

The studio just seems like it's struggling in general. If they don't deliver a creation kit for Starfield that's going to be a really bad sign.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

the fact that they said "no we absolutely cannot possibly optimize starfield, get a better computer" for

gestures broadly

is absolutely wild to me tbh

It was almost as good as this old xbox quote by Don Mattrick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_JVVUnCWnY

Paraphrasing: "If you want to play games offline then just buy our old console that lets you do that lol"

Glorious tone deafness like that is the product of being surrounded entirely by sycophants and shutting out any dissenting thoughts.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

DancingShade posted:

All the market really wants is "first person open world RPG game".

Nah stuff that, give me third-person or give me death

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

webmeister posted:

We would probably both enjoy a modern remaster / remake of Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga. However as Larian has their plate full of other success stories such a thing is unlikely this decade or next.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

I guess I don't see that as being a given. It seems like the Bethesda that made Starfield would have just as much trouble filling in some large landmass in Tamriel, especially if they're aiming to put out something more expansive or more dense (or both) than Skyrim.

Yeah there seems to be people at Bethesda management who just really want everything to be as expansive as possible, and if they go expansive there is a good chance they will still gently caress up and not have enough content. They really need to focus on deep, but that also means getting more and better writers.

They easily have the talent between all the studios they have to make a good TS6 game. I mean for all of fall76 faults at least the map was varied and interesting.

Tiny Timbs posted:

There's clearly a ton of uncertainty and lack of confidence in building gameplay mechanics, too, which is a whole separate issue from just filling in a large area with quests and locations.

That's also a big problem. Like Starfield showed they are trying to shake up their gameplay mechanics with different skills systems and what not, it's just it didn't really work at all. Again if they just try for a smaller denser game it would be easier to hone that stuff in.

(I'm fully expecting them to chuck in some weird castle building mechanic or some other random bullshit that doesn't really work and adds nothing to the gameplay)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I mean the last Big Bethesda Game was Fallout 76, and the one before was Fallout 4, which uh...well, I think Skyrim got at least 3 re-releases between FO4 and now and I haven't heard anything about a Fallout 4 SE, is all

I guess you could make a fair argument that they keep re-releasing Skyrim so people think about Skyrim when preordering instead of whatever the more recent, not-as-well-recieved Bethesda game is

People (rightly or wrongly) largely gave them a mulligan on 76 for being their first online game, the various (not accurate) arguments that it wasn't the main studio making it, etc.

And for all its faults, FO4 was a successful and fairly well received game. Yeah, nerds on forums and the No Mutants Allowed types have decreed it to be the worst thing in the history of human endeavor, but it's fine. It has its issues, and everyone loves to make fun of the plot, but at the end of the day it works perfectly well as a world to explore and do fun poo poo in. It's certainly no worse than FO3 in any of those regards, and frankly I'd argue it's better. Really its biggest sin for most people is not being FONV.

Starfield is none of this. Starfield is Bethesda doing what is arguably its core competency - making a sprawling, epic single player game - and making GBS threads the bed so profoundly that there's really no defending it. This isn't something that nerds are nitpicking because there are lore problems when stacked up against a game from the 90s made by a different studio, or something with cringe-y plot poo poo, it's fundamentally broken on a core level. The mechanics are hosed. The world that they have created is hosed, deeply. Map design is poo poo. The plot is hosed but not in the normal "where's my SON?!?!?" type bad writing way but in how the core narrative conceit - NG+ and exploring multiverses - flies in the face of the basic gameplay loop that they've established since Morrowind, at least, and gently caress maybe even Daggerfall.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also just on a fundamental level they played it incredibly safe with the sci-fi setting to the point it's just really boring and generic. No risks were taken.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fantasy settlement building could be really fun if they pull it off. There's no way they won't at least try.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

DancingShade posted:

It was almost as good as this old xbox quote by Don Mattrick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_JVVUnCWnY

Paraphrasing: "If you want to play games offline then just buy our old console that lets you do that lol"

Glorious tone deafness like that is the product of being surrounded entirely by sycophants and shutting out any dissenting thoughts.

they ate poo poo for that but in the end they were kinda right

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

webmeister posted:

they should remake saints row 2

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Building a castle and flying over to vivec city and crashing it into that moon that's all chained up

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

moist turtleneck posted:

Building a castle and flying over to vivec city and crashing it into that moon that's all chained up

They crashed the moon in Skyrim and said it wiped out the entire island so that nobody could ask them for another Vvardenfell game ever again. Thank god for no more giant big cities and mushroom towers and fun poo poo. Love my generic Viking Knight Dragon Wizards instead.

Then they ran out of ideas for Elder Scrolls Online so you go back in time to Vvardenfell apparently.

I really didn’t like Fallout 4 and didn’t finish it. No idea why I thought Starfield would be better. It wasn’t.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

space uncle posted:

They crashed the moon in Skyrim and said it wiped out the entire island so that nobody could ask them for another Vvardenfell game ever again. Thank god for no more giant big cities and mushroom towers and fun poo poo. Love my generic Viking Knight Dragon Wizards instead.

Then they ran out of ideas for Elder Scrolls Online so you go back in time to Vvardenfell apparently.

I really didn’t like Fallout 4 and didn’t finish it. No idea why I thought Starfield would be better. It wasn’t.

ESO is entirely in the past, sorta like The Old Republic

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

space uncle posted:

It rules that prissy Bethesda creatives were so upset that players didn't like their newer Original Content Please Do Not Steal as much as classic Morrowind that they destroyed the entire setting permanently in an indignent "gently caress you" rage of jealously.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DancingShade posted:

It rules that prissy Bethesda creatives were so upset that players didn't like their newer Original Content Please Do Not Steal as much as classic Morrowind that they destroyed the entire setting permanently in an indignent "gently caress you" rage of jealously.

I don’t think that’s why the blew up Vvardenfell.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Yeah, sure man, totally

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

space uncle posted:

I've played through Fallout 4 I think 5 times. I get some of the criticisms but I obviously enjoyed it. I doubt I'll ever finish Starfield once and one of the big things about it is playing NG+.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
The problem with Bethesda is that they didn't want to just be "the TES people", but TES is the thing they do best and fantasy settings are the more widely appealing to players.

Was hoping Starfield would kind of reignite my faith, and enjoyed it a lot in the first playthrough, but unlike all TES before (yes, even Oblivion), once it was done, I didn't feel like going back. Will wait and see what the mod scene becomes, but I'm not holding my breath seeing how the game momentum seems to have dropped so much even before the modding tools release.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Starfield doesn't have enough stuff in it to warrant multiple playthroughs.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Sandepande posted:

It's kind of worse in that the main draw to replaying it (the NG+ changes) directly goes against the entire base building thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sandepande posted:

It totally could have, is the worst part. If faction/side quests had an impact and locked each other out there’d be a reason to reset but Bethsoft is so loving allergic to the idea of a player missing anything that you can be King poo poo of the UC vanguard and also lead the Crimson Fleet to victory over the UC in the same playthrough.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

FishMcCool posted:

It's kind of worse in that the main draw to replaying it (the NG+ changes) directly goes against the entire base building thing.
Yeah I'd be more open towards "rinse and repeat to gain ~more power~" if 95% of it wasn't the same thing as last playthrough, while you lose everything that potentially took hours to set up properly (exploration, outposts, ships, perfect gear loadouts). It devalues the entire "core" experience of Starfield.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

Yeah I'd be more open towards "rinse and repeat to gain ~more power~" if 95% of it wasn't the same thing as last playthrough, while you lose everything that potentially took hours to set up properly (exploration, outposts, ships, perfect gear loadouts). It devalues the entire "core" experience of Starfield.

But you can get a slightly better shout. Which might be appealing if locked in a bunker at the bottom of a disused coal mine with no competing time sinks or video games available.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You're right, brb starting a new playthrough!

:shepicide:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Starfield has a lot of flaws but more POIs to explore could have papered over some of it. It's a drat shame they are taking so long to get the CK out otherwise people would have made a bunch already.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

orcane posted:

The fact that all but one of the variant intros, which are rare as it is, are “constellation doesn’t exist anymore but everything else is the same” shows how creatively bankrupt the game is. Like… at least put in a few twists on quests or something.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's like they just didn't feel like trying too hard

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

isndl posted:

Starfield has a lot of flaws but more POIs to explore could have papered over some of it. It's a drat shame they are taking so long to get the CK out otherwise people would have made a bunch already.

With the modular engine they developed for ships/outposts, I find it criminal that POIs don't tap into it, and instead you get the exact same copy/paste "bad guys building POI" down to the same dead bodies in the same poses. Sure, Daggerfall's dungeons went over the top with the mazes, but that's fixable. And well, the game could also have done with Daggerfall style cities, even if 99% had been plot-pointless personal housing. If there ever was a game making a case for this, Starfield should have been it.

I fully accept that I'm the minority on this, but drat, I miss Daggerfall's ambition and feeling of scale. I hope someone goes back to wild full blown proc gen at some point. Right now, I feel like Dwarf Fortress is the last torchbearer for it, and that's in a different genre altogether.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

FishMcCool posted:

With the modular engine they developed for ships/outposts, I find it criminal that POIs don't tap into it, and instead you get the exact same copy/paste "bad guys building POI" down to the same dead bodies in the same poses. Sure, Daggerfall's dungeons went over the top with the mazes, but that's fixable. And well, the game could also have done with Daggerfall style cities, even if 99% had been plot-pointless personal housing. If there ever was a game making a case for this, Starfield should have been it.

I fully accept that I'm the minority on this, but drat, I miss Daggerfall's ambition and feeling of scale. I hope someone goes back to wild full blown proc gen at some point. Right now, I feel like Dwarf Fortress is the last torchbearer for it, and that's in a different genre altogether.

This is kind of a different genre, but check out https://store.steampowered.com/app/986130/Shadows_of_Doubt/

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I keep thinking of No Man's Sky, because it's another open world procgen space game. That game papers over the emptiness by having varied landscapes and fun alien life to look at and catalogue. There are POIs scattered across the landscape (crashed spaceships, landing pads, ruined bases, etc), pretty far apart, but you can explore and find a cool-looking vista or cave between them. Maybe there's a plant or rock you haven't seen.

Is there a point to scanning and registering animal species in Starfield? In NMS you get some money for doing it, as well as making number go up.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 13, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

orcane posted:

And it should come with an optional respec, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

FishMcCool posted:

I think the copy-pasted POIs is my biggest issue with Starfield. There’s no desire in exploring. If they had a random system of parts being cobbled together on the fly, with interesting loot tables and whatnot, I might have stuck around, but I hard bounced immediately upon the second visit to an Abandoned Robotics Facility with the same scientist smeared by a fallen catwalk.