Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I remember some game called Maximo for the PS2 that was a bit miserable for jumps. I think it was a spiritual successor to Ghosts and Goblins so they dialed up the difficulty in places.

Some jumps were so far apart you had to run off the edge and start your first jump while you were still midair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

There are those sad games out there that sap all joy out of the double jump by building the levels entirely around it, requiring you to get maximum distance on every single leap.

There is a saving grace for this, which is "Up-Air Combo"

If you design around the perfect double jump height, and don't have an upward aerial attack which can function as a broke-rear end version of an extra jump, that's lame. If you do have that up-aerial? Thats great. Letting the player do slight course correction after a mistimed jump is part of what makes a double jump good in the first place

The Best, though:
  • Game has double jump
  • Game also has up-aerial which adds vertical height, but not as well as a Double Jump
  • Up-aerial is difficult (but not impossible) to use for this purpose
  • Up-aerial is obtained before Double Jump
  • Jumps that are locked behind Double Jump are not pixel perfect for Double Jump, but are pixel perfect if attempted with standard jump + up aerial

Very basic, doesnt even need to let the player sequence break a ton, but incredibly satisfying to do.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arivia posted:

Classic Doom is pretty funny about this. When you're playing the game solo it looks great, but when you're in multiplayer or when you see another actor with the same properties as Doomguy moving, it looks absolutely absurd. You're like the goddamn Roadrunner, moving in a blink, turning on a dime!

He moves at a bit under highway speeds, I love that this is the decision they made

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Possible controversial take, while replaying Mario Wonder: the autoscrolling airship levels in Mario games. I didn't like them in Mario 3, and I haven't liked them since. Autoscrollers are always going to be a gamble for me, and slow, samey ones with projectiles flying all over are the worst.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Intrinsic character double jumps are for cowards and particularly sensitive children who do not have the strength to look a plummeting Yoshi in the eye every single time a particularly wide or tall gap demands a sacrifice.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Breetai posted:

Intrinsic character double jumps are for cowards and particularly sensitive children who do not have the strength to look a plummeting Yoshi in the eye every single time a particularly wide or tall gap demands a sacrifice.

I know you gritted your teeth when I learned double jump and I know you cracked down to the root when I added a forward flip to it. It's just style, honey, I hope you find some one day.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

They should make a game with a completely realistic jump mechanic. Like 2/100 Acrobatics in Morrowind levels of height and utility. A useless little hop a few inches off the ground with no air control or anything, but it doesn't matter because you wouldn't be airborne long enough to change anything anyway.

This sounds kinda bad actually maybe they shouldn't make it

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ms Adequate posted:

They should make a game with a completely realistic jump mechanic. Like 2/100 Acrobatics in Morrowind levels of height and utility. A useless little hop a few inches off the ground with no air control or anything, but it doesn't matter because you wouldn't be airborne long enough to change anything anyway.

Nah, they should obviously do that for the next mario game. Try and jump on those innocent turtle heads now ya freak!!!

Actually if turtles were realistic size as well probably still could. poo poo.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

What are you talking about? The lil hop in Stanley Parable was hilarious (you weren't supposed to be able to jump, but it's built on the Source engine, so Stanley had an itty-bitty hop that wasn't even noticeable if you weren't looking for it).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ms Adequate posted:

Jumping is kind of boring and unfair with digital buttons so stuff like air control makes sense to throw the player a bone but honestly a more realistic jump using an analog trigger would be a cool idea to explore.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Already done on both accounts:

https://i.imgur.com/dZ8x33l.mp4

and it's kinda boring

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

sebmojo posted:

He moves at a bit under highway speeds, I love that this is the decision they made

Dude drank a lot of coffee while he was waiting for his buddies to come back.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Possible controversial take, while replaying Mario Wonder: the autoscrolling airship levels in Mario games. I didn't like them in Mario 3, and I haven't liked them since. Autoscrollers are always going to be a gamble for me, and slow, samey ones with projectiles flying all over are the worst.

Tbh I’m grateful that they’ve never gone back to the airship fleet level from World 8 in Mario 3, that level was pretty badass conceptually but drat, I really, really hope you had some P-Wings to spare.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Ms Adequate posted:

DayZ has exactly this hop

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pleased to learn of all the lovely jump having games

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Decided to finally play that Doom Eternal DLC I bought, two years or so after beating the main game.

I am being steamrolled right out of the gate by hordes of endgame monsters. The difficulty is bonkers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The problem with realistic jump mechanics is that people don't really use huge jumps to get over things, they shove things out of the way or climb/step over them and when we do jump we mainly get height clearance by pulling our legs up out of the way. Nobody ever really cared that you couldn't jump in e.g. alien isolation, they cared that a one foot tall one foot wide row of luggage was presented as a (literally) insurmountable obstacle. Your brain goes "what, that's bullshit, I could just take a big step over that" and in videogames the standard "big step" is a little jump, and since people are bad at working out what's actually bothering them the complaint became "I can't standing jump half my height in this horror game"

So you're stuck with either mood (and potentially sequence)-breaking backflips or blatantly artificial barriers and you gotta make a call as to which is the bigger atmosphere killer. Or you have to build an entire game engine around emulating human movement including limb positioning so basically QWOP with enemies in it.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Feb 13, 2024

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I remember, god it's been 20 years, making levels for Quake 3 Arena using q3radiant and realising I could gently caress around with the physics somewhat. So I made a simple arena with some walls and platforms and pumped up the jump height and air control a bunch. Gave everyone rocket launchers and it turned out to be a lot of fun. Me and my friends were good enough that we could reliably shoot people out of the air using rockets in the normal game, but the increased jump capabilities, especially the air control, made it more difficult to predict the path. The rockets moved slow enough that if you paid attention you could dodge around rockets in mid air, giving you a matrix kinda feeling, it was awesome.

Played that level at a smallishh lanparty with strangers once. Then went to a huge lanparty years later and I found out my level had spread around the scene and gotten quite popular and people were still playing it a lot. Super proud moment for teenage me lol

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Taeke posted:

I remember, god it's been 20 years, making levels for Quake 3 Arena using q3radiant and realising I could gently caress around with the physics somewhat. So I made a simple arena with some walls and platforms and pumped up the jump height and air control a bunch. Gave everyone rocket launchers and it turned out to be a lot of fun.

That's basically Starsiege: Tribes isn't it? Everyone has a jetpack and while you don't have to take a disc launcher you probably should.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Never played that but there were plenty of other games with that kind of gameplay I'm sure. The discussion just reminded me of a fond memory. :) First time I actually took a look under the hood of a game and started messing with it, you know? Make the game play differently than intended, and only for my efforts to be rewarded like that was awesome. Being 17 and walking past a group of people playing a level I made two years prior and having so much fun with it was amazing.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Splicer posted:

The problem with realistic jump mechanics is that people don't really use huge jumps to get over things, they shove things out of the way or climb/step over them and when we do jump we mainly get height clearance by pulling our legs up out of the way. Nobody ever really cared that you couldn't jump in e.g. alien isolation, they cared that a one foot tall one foot wide row of luggage was presented as a (literally) insurmountable obstacle. Your brain goes "what, that's bullshit, I could just take a big step over that" and in videogames the standard "big step" is a little jump, and since people are bad at working out what's actually bothering them the complaint became "I can't standing jump half my height in this horror game"

So you're stuck with either mood (and potentially sequence)-breaking backflips or blatantly artificial barriers and you gotta make a call as to which is the bigger atmosphere killer. Or you have to build an entire game engine around emulating human movement including limb positioning so basically QWOP with enemies in it.

Dark Souls 2 wins a prize here for making it so that if you could get over a waist high pile of rocks you could skip half the game, and until they patched it you actually could pull off a sequence of jumps to do it.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

DontMockMySmock posted:

99% of The Witness is really cool and a supremely excellent puzzle game, imo, but there's that 1% that sucks major poo poo for no reason other than jon blow is a loving rear end in a top hat

Just play The Looker instead. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1985690/The_Looker/

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Seconding this. The final puzzle is a masterpiece.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It takes fifteen minutes, it's free, it makes fun of Jonathan Blow's prickishness, and you get basically the same experience as playing The Witness but without having to play The Witness.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The Witness is really good, you guys should spend more time playing video games and less time caring about twitter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I thought this was going to be The Swapper for a sec and was like "Yeah that is a good puzzle game"

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

lmao

"I enjoy this puzzle game except for a tiny bit of it"

"You should play this other game that makes fun of the game you enjoy and also doesn't really have puzzles but jokes instead, it's the same thing but actually better!"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Splicer posted:

Nobody ever really cared that you couldn't jump in e.g. alien isolation, they cared that a one foot tall one foot wide row of luggage was presented as a (literally) insurmountable obstacle.

There are some roots in a few places in Dark Souls 1 that completely block your character and seem to be literally only a few inches high. DS1 even has a jump, but it's more of a sprinting long-jump, and it does not help you clear these obstacles, so you end up doing a sprinting long-jump that does not clear a tiny tree root a real person would barely trip over. You just hover for a second and roll in place next to it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I like The Witness well enough, but it would honestly work better as a bunch of paper puzzles. The "oh gently caress you can circle circle dot the landscape" is cool once, and that's it.

Also there's a mechanic in that stops you from brute-forcing a solution, which is the game equivalent of the teacher rapping you across the knuckles. No thankie, mr. Blow.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
There’s tons of normal puzzles that also interact with the environment, you couldn’t really strip them out without losing a lot of the game. And personally I found wandering around a chill, cool looking island to be a nice experience that made the game more enjoyable. And also I think you’re selling the environmental puzzles short, there’s a ton that are still interesting to figure out once you know they exist.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like the Witness. Pretty, calming, some real head-scratchers. My only actual complaint is that it has some accessibility issues, so those who are hearing impaired or color blind in some way will have permanent roadblocks, which really isn't something we should be seeing in games in 2016. I don't know if those issues were resolved, but still.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Muscle Tracer posted:

There are some roots in a few places in Dark Souls 1 that completely block your character and seem to be literally only a few inches high. DS1 even has a jump, but it's more of a sprinting long-jump, and it does not help you clear these obstacles, so you end up doing a sprinting long-jump that does not clear a tiny tree root a real person would barely trip over. You just hover for a second and roll in place next to it.

Lies of P has the same problem where you'll be walking through an area and there are obstacles that you could just pick your way around.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Philippe posted:

It takes fifteen minutes, it's free, it makes fun of Jonathan Blow's prickishness, and you get basically the same experience as playing The Witness but without having to play The Witness.

I would not recommend The Looker to someone who hasn't played The Witness; that's crazy to me. Most of the jokes in The Looker will seem like unfunny non-sequitur if you don't have the context from The Witness. However, I would absolutely recommend The Looker to absolutely anyone who has played The Witness.

Snake Maze posted:

The Witness is really good, you guys should spend more time playing video games and less time caring about twitter.

Who are you talking to? You're the only one who has brought up twitter. We're focusing on the bad parts because of what thread we're in, but I agree, The Witness is really good, on the whole!

Morpheus posted:

I like the Witness. Pretty, calming, some real head-scratchers. My only actual complaint is that it has some accessibility issues, so those who are hearing impaired or color blind in some way will have permanent roadblocks, which really isn't something we should be seeing in games in 2016. I don't know if those issues were resolved, but still.

afaik they have not been addressed at all. I have several complaints about the Witness but I agree that accessibility is the #1 biggest problem with the game. I have a friend who I showed the game to he was like "hell yeah that looks cool as poo poo except i can't tell any of those colors apart, is there a colorblind mode?" noooope :sigh:

Still, recommend The Witness strongly if you like puzzle games and aren't colorblind, don't have photosensitivity, and don't have motion sickness issues with first-person games. (if you're hearing impaired I still recommend it, with the caveat that you will have to "cheat" a small section of the game, but that section sucks anyway)

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

DontMockMySmock posted:

Who are you talking to? You're the only one who has brought up twitter. We're focusing on the bad parts because of what thread we're in, but I agree, The Witness is really good, on the whole!

I was responding to this:

Philippe posted:

Which is terrible advice that seems to mainly be hung up on Jonathan Blow's "prickishness" rather than anything about the actual game. Which is pretty common when The Witness come up, it seems like there's always a couple people who jump in to tell you how much of a grudge they have about his twitter posting, which, who cares, it's not in the actual game.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the witness is dogshit and thinks it's way more clever than it is. boring trash. bin it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lmao if you think the problems with Blow are exclusive to his Twitter, jfc

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He's less subtle than Kojima when it comes to putting his opinions in his games

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sound based puzzles are all trash and Yes that includes the ones in myst

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
A sound based puzzle where you have to guess which people poo poo their pants based on the fart.wav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Sound based puzzles are all trash and Yes that includes the ones in myst
The Secret World had a good (bad) one :v: